Why do they call him Dirty Harry?

Why do they call him Dirty Harry?

Always gets the shit end of the dick.

Magnum Force is one of my favourite films but it's also the only Dirty Harry movie I actually like. Am I a pleb?

I like Magnum Force a lot too, but the first one is really good.

To be fair I haven't seen the first in a couple of years so I should probably rewatch it, I just remember it striking me as one of those films that I appreciate more for the iconic character it introduced and it's place in film history rather than something I really enjoyed by itself. That's just me though and what do I know

Some people prefer Lethal Weapon 2 over the first. I wouldn't call them wrong, they're both good. Same thing here.

He's the original maverick cop

> WHERE'S THE GIRL?

Lethal weapon is in my top 10 all time. But I can't stand 2 and don't see why people praise it so much. 4 was better than 2. And I just pretend 3 never happened.

Magnum Force is really entertaining while the first Dirty Harry aged very poorly. It still has an important foot print in the movie history as basically the very first movie that introduced the action movie formula, without Dirty Harry there would be for sure no Rambo, John Matrix and certainly no John McClain, Dirty Harry is pretty much the first 80s movie before the 80s even started but like I said, aged really poorly in terms of cinematography (even if the street shootout and the bus scene are still great filmed) and very slow pace.

havent seen any lethal weapon and magnum force

what should i watch right now?

i just saw commando for the 3rd time

The only Dirty Movie I skip is The Enforcer because I just don't like it. Too much hippy shit with them being the criminals and a woman as a sidekick was fucking retarded.

The Deadpool wasn't a good final movie but it was okay. Sudden Impact should have been the finale.

Watch tango and cash while you'reat it

What don't you like about 2?

I feel the same about Lethal Weapon now that you mention it, like this user said I'm aware that it's important so I kind of respect it for what it did for the action genre, but the second film I feel just flows much better and is more entertaining,

This, because it's unintentionally a fun movie and a good follow up is Stop or My Mom Will Shoot!

>kurt and sly

Add Cobra to the list.

>film class
>say i love cheesy action movies from the 80s
>the males in the class are looking down and nervous

its weird being the confident one now

>make new friend
>tell him I love films
>he's a patrician who likes weird arthouse stuff
>I'm just really into action flicks
He wants to talk about Stalker and I want to talk about Cliffhanger

What are you favourites?

soft spot for total recall and westerns
>tfw no practical effects buddy to gush about how good star wars genuinely was until return of the jedi

I like to think of The Rookie as an unofficial Harry sequel.

The original dirty harry is the only one worth watching. Magnum force is borderline. The rest and this sly stuff is unwatchable, even the kurt russell one sadly. Guess I'm alone there though.

ha I'm like a mix of you and your friend

Any love for the other cop based Eastwood films?

Tightrope I thought was very cool. Shit on by most people though.
The Gauntlet was great too. Lots of stand out scenes. Good action pace.
Fuck I even enjoyed Coogans Bluff. Very of it's time with all the hippie dialogue though.
Never really got into City Heat 2bh.

The poster for The Gauntlet is so badass a and the movie is OK, but the ending with the actual gauntlet I felt was a bit silly. Haven't seen the others, must get on that.

Not cop based but I fucking love In the Line of Fire too, great flick.

I mentioned The Rookie, I think it's pretty good

Magnum force has a great thing by lalo schifrin (rush hour, enter the dragon)
But its got good humor interspersed with high stakes

not that user, but 2 is fucking awful with the moustache-twirling, goose-stepping South African hate. I get it was topical at the time, but seeing them be so gleefully wrong about SA ruins the movie.

Yeah, I could see that, they kind of just made them Nazis

>lalo schifrin
yeah, and all his work on the dirty harry's is top-notch

Since the thread has gone off on a tangent, how about general rec's from Eastwood's filmography?

I have seen basically everything up to In the Line of Fire but hardly anything after that.

A few personal favorites (not mentioned so far): Firefox, Escape from Alcatraz, The Eiger Sanction, Bronco Billy and also Heartbreak Ridge.

>Tightrope 5/10
>The Gauntlet 8/10
>Coogans Bluff 7/10
Outside of cop or western stuff, I found million dollar baby, play misty for me, white hunter black heart, gran torino all worth watching

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot but be warned tears will be had. Really enjoy Where Eagles Dare because it's a spy thriller with Eastwood so that was strange to see him in.

>Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
shit, that looks pretty good. And it has George Kennedy so bonus

it was one of those humours sex moves like donkey punch or spiderman
they chose the title for the innuendo, but it caused the original slang to be lost to history

>million dollar baby
have not seen, but will do, cheers m8
>play misty for me
that's a great psychological thriller, agreed
>white hunter black heart
only seen this once, kind of forgot about this. will watch again.
>gran torino
still haven't got around to watching. thanks for the reminder.

>Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Yep, a classic, agreed.
>Where Eagles Dare
burton and clint. enough said really.
>George Kennedy
he also stars alongside clint in the eiger sanction too, m8.

>stars alongside clint in the eiger sanction too
now I have two movies to watch

quick reminder Straight Time is the best movie of all time and Dustin Hoffman is the best actor of all time

Never heard of this, looks good. I like M. Emmet Walsh