Why did anyone care about these faggots? what was their purpose?

why did anyone care about these faggots? what was their purpose?

your just jellus

They were Hobbit aristocracy off to a war they were unprepared for, and didn't completely understand. There's probably some WW1 metaphor there.

comic relief

They were much much more competent in the books, dunno why Jackson dumbed them down. Same with Gimli.

They're fucking 3 ft tall how are they supposed to be more competent than what was shown in the movies?

>what was their purpose?
Merry's "you're part of this world" speech to the Ents.

They were clever and quickwitted in the books. Both picked up swordplay fairly easily. Merry wasn't a cowardly little pussy and Pippin wasn't as airheaded as they were portrayed in the movie.

>Both picked up swordplay fairly easily.
Yeah I bet they did

-Didn't knock pail down the fucking well
-engineered Frodo's entire escape from the Shire
-knew land around Shire much better than Sam and Frodo, main navigators
-Helped retake Shire from Wormtongue and Saruman at the end of ROTK, become known among Hobbits as great warriors

>Merry wasn't a cowardly little puss
When was Merry a coward?
>Volunteered to join the fellowship
>convinced the Ents to march on Isengard after they offered to take him to the nearest road back to the Shire
>In ROTK he says "I want to fight", gets scooped up Eowyn, and helps take down a fucking Mumakil outside Minas Tirith.
>First to follow Aragon's charge outside the Black Gates.

Nothing wrong with that they were only 1st cousins. Which is encouraged by Hobbits.

They took the heat off of Sam and Frodo a bit. Among other things

rekt

>first to follow aragorn

I love that part, all these tough guys, who just got a rousing speech from the king just stand there while merry and pippin charge. Hobbits truly are amazibg creatures

They were meant to keep Ian McKellen hard.

The book is taken entirely from the Hobbit's perspective. It's their story. They're the characters.

Jackson made an action movie tailored to the lowest common denominator, which is why they were pushed aside.

Merry and Pippin are actually pretty tall for Hobbits after the 2nd book.

bants and merriment.
What's not to love mate?

>haven't watched lotr since my vcr broke in like 2006
>reading your post brought back all the nice moments of the fellowship defeating a foe together, risking their lives so Frodo and Sam and finish their quest
>all the lighthearted scenes with the hobbits, especially early in FotR
>the music, the laughter and smiles
Thanks for the nostalgia user.

They're literally the tallest Hobbits to have ever lived because of the Ent water. Taller even than Bilbo's famed ancestor, what's his face the Bullroarer, who was tall enough to ride a horse and saved the Shire from an Orc raid by decapitating their leader.

On their return to the Shire the Hobbits all treated Merry and Pippin like the heroes since they came back a head taller and wearing flashing armor and having fancy titles from the Kings of Gondor and Rohan.

>flashing

er, flashy