HIMYM

Why did it have to have such a shitty ending?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4lzDYUgd4kY
youtube.com/watch?v=J_j6p-AXsI8
youtube.com/watch?v=gCoy8dAHgF8
youtube.com/watch?v=3ebLLZYFey8
youtube.com/watch?v=RsA2paS0W_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=fiuu245RpwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GEwzRbYlnDk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This show was so incredibly unfunny. I had friends who liked it and I could never get into it. Two Broke Girls levels of unfunny, but it's successful and you never quite understand how.

Watching reruns on some of the episodes I've started to realize this as well. It has some good moments, but is also shoved full of forced humor

The humor has aged so terribly it hurts. Also a lot of forced shit; had some very good moments too though. Just like Scrubs.

Funny how the humor of actual good sitcoms like Malcolm in the Middle never aged.

lol robin is canadian

This, shows like Friends I can watch over and over and never get tired of it, but this show isn't worth fully rewatching even once

It had potential, and they could've ended at the perfect time. But then they decided to go on 9 more shitty seasons.

The last season took place in basically just that one weekend which was pretty fucking stupid. And then they completely fucked up everything they had established in the last two episodes

I mean, the show was pretty consistently popular. I'd like to think it was one of those cases where everyone involved was sick of it and purposefully drove it into the ground throughout the last season so there's no chance that the network would want it renewed halfway through.

This show is for women and 90s born queers

They thought up a "clever" ending early and didn't realize how it wouldn't work at all for a long-running series

after they filmed the kid's reactions it was too late

That's probably true, by the end there was nothing new being added and it was just recycling all the old things. Seems reasonable that they'd want to ruin it themselves to be freed

But Friends is far worse than HIMYM

This is just wrong

Both are just a bad Seinfeld rip off outdated and stuck in their respective times/era. You can argue which one is less shitty but that seems a bit redundant, no?

COULD this post be any more wrong?

True

It's pretty garbage but 2 Broke Girls was still worse. Watched an episode and I was literally clenching my fists with anger after a few minutes. That shit was so unfunny, I can't believe it's still ongoing.

It's nowhere near as bad as 2 broke girls, stop exaggerating

Nah, not true. Friends has much better characters and situations.

youtube.com/watch?v=4lzDYUgd4kY
can you honestly say that this is not unfunny as fuck

Get ready for some gay shit:

As a fan of the series the ending is great. The problem was that the majority of the audience, who were almost a decade into being invested in this show, didn't expect that the entire show's premise (even it's fucking name) was a red herring. When the twist was revealed, they were more bitter than impressed at such an accomplishment, and had a negative reaction.

If the show wasn't framed around the lie that it was all about Ted meeting the Mother, the audience would have suspected that Ted and Robin would end up together the whole time. It was our fault that we didn't see it coming.

The main complaint seemed to be the idea that it undermined the Mother's storyline. On paper, that sounds fair, because it was a long buildup to Ted being 'ready' to be in the 'right' relationship, and the Yellow Umbrella story is very romantic, as though their meeting and relationship were fate.

Here's the problem with that: the Yellow Umbrella story was nice and all, but the fans were more invested in Ted and Robin's history because we saw nine seasons of them being in each other's lives. We only saw Ted and the Mother together during the last season. We barely knew the Mother, but we knew Robin just as well as Ted.

And goddamn, the blue french horn ending was fantastic. Perfectly bookended the series, showing that Ted, despite being a widower with two kids, is still the lovable hopeless romantic that everyone spent nine years rooting for.

The ending was great, any other opinion is pleb-tier

You're picking some season 1 clip. The show didn't get it's legs until season 2.

The premise was okay. It's the execution that's puerile garbage. Too rushed, you stopped caring anymore.

I unironically agree with this.
Blue french horn ending was great. Made me legit tear up.

I grinned like a fucking goon during that entire final sequence. It's one of my favorite finales to a show.

Barney's scene when he sees his daughter for the first time is also fantastic.

youtube.com/watch?v=J_j6p-AXsI8

Was this the best scene in HIMYM?

> the fans were more invested in Ted and Robin's history
Speak for yourself. Robin was insufferable. Moreso, Ted and Robin chemistry was utterly one-sided for entire series.
And after two last seasons building her and Barney relationship, we got U-turn. Whole thing felt lazy.

This, season 1 was okay but it really started going only at season 2

yea this was the biggest thing for me, just completely destroying the entire Barney & Robin relationship that they spent not just the last seasons building but had been building on since like season 3, just felt like it was all pointless

This scene from the first episode is even better, my dude:
youtube.com/watch?v=gCoy8dAHgF8

But seriously, just Ted's scenes are so fucking good. Here's a few good ones:

Ted bringing Stella on a two-minute date
youtube.com/watch?v=3ebLLZYFey8

Ted telling Stella (after their breakup) that he wants to find 'the one'
youtube.com/watch?v=RsA2paS0W_Y

Ted being hung up on Robin:
youtube.com/watch?v=fiuu245RpwQ

Ted trying to get over Robin by helping her while she's having doubts on the day of her wedding:
youtube.com/watch?v=GEwzRbYlnDk

And none of them are part of the Yellow Umbrella or Blue French Horn stories.

Barney didn't deserve a happy ending and that was a good idea but they shouldn't have spent so much time on his 'redemption' arc if they were just going to go with his bittersweet epilogue anyway.

It only looked like a u-turn because we saw it in highlights over a three-year-long period. If the show continued and each year was a season, it would have felt like an organic, natural separation because, in the end, they weren't right for each other.

The best part of the show's long-term storytelling is that it made it clear that Ted wasn't 'ready' for the Mother and his relationship with her until they met at just the right time. Similarly, Ted and Robin weren't ready for one another until years after the Mother died and the wounds of her death weren't so fresh.

Barney's arc was actually really interesting. Instead of his major relationships ending due to being a sleezebag, they end because he made adult decisions. Quinn, the woman he was engaged to before Robin, didn't work because they didn't trust one another. Robin didn't work because her job and ambitions got in the way of their relationship, ending after three years of barely seeing each other.

Barney ending up being a bachelor whose life was all about his daughter instead of his significant others was really the best place for him. He 'grew up' and became a great dad instead of being tacked onto someone for the sake of the conventional happy ending.

We all know who really did not deserve a happy ending.

>have an entire episode dedicated to Ted finally letting go of Robin
>LOL JOKES
No

Kill yourself for not being able to see that that's what they would do.

Do it painfully because you're clearly that dense.

The finales for all the characters are good despite what normies think, it just was a shit idea to put them all together in a hour long final "and then shit happened" episode. Ditch the entire bottle season concept of season 9, which was utter shit. And start anticipating the themes first. Barney's daughter had to show up earlier, and ruin the wedding because of Robin being unwilling to raise a child, as often stated.

because it's shit

The ending is great. People are shitty, all of the main except for marshall are shitty people, and the end encapsulate how Ted is a shitty person.
The series itself is too long, but comfy. In the end is more consistent of Friends, who got downhill since phoebe got her baby.

I could never find anything wrong with Marshall. I think he was in the wrong maybe once or twice near the end of the series but never to the extent that everyone else had done before.

It was fundamentally a pre-economic crisis show.
We just can't connect with this lifestyle anymore.

His biggest fault is he puts up with a bitch like Lilly.