Japanese/Asian comfy slice of life/whatever movies

Let's have one of these lads.
Bonus point if it's comfy and/or japanese but as long as it's asian and it's good, it belongs in here.
Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=oOJwOlS1iXs&t=14s&ab_channel=nemesis0sun

Here my favourites:
Linda Linda Linda
Little forest (summer & autumn but winter & spring is nice too)
Su-ki-da
All about Lily Chou-Chou

Honorabru mention:
The taste of tea
Like father, like son
Au revoir l'été
Swing girls
Departures
Sweet beans
Whisper of the heart
Tokyo Sonata
Ikiru
Woman in the Dunes
Raise the red lantern
The Great Happiness Space

Haven't seen yet:
More Hirokazu Koreeda and Naomi Kawase
More Hou Hsiao-hsien, Zhang Yimou (not sure wuxia qualifies as comfy)
Still Life
Adrift in Tokyo
Petal Dance
0.5mm
Midnight diner
Love and Pop

I guess this is a good starting point for anyone who's looking to get into this kind of movies.

>put effort into making a new thread
>not even a single response

Life of Yonosuke or smth is pretty good. Also Crows Zero can be comfy. The Nana live action movies are also neat

Adrift in tokyo

Hide

$

Sage for Weaboos

rude cunt

Good morning call - jdrama, not a movie but it is comfy.
Lesson of the evil - comfy highschool shooting kino

I like Asian movies. I do not like slice of life shit though, so I have nothing to add.

Koreans are going to remake Little Forest with the girl of The Handmaiden.
I wanna watch that

The story of Yonosuke seems promising.
Also Love Exposure, yay or nay?

asian shit sucks

Some of the movies I listed in the OP aren't slice of life. Just post what you have.

Good posts

if you want to get completely memed for 4 hours, sure

If you really want comedy SoL, Danshii koukousei no nichijou live action. But you need to watch the some episodes of the anime.

Kamikaze Girls

You'll love every second of it OP

Loved Little Forest. Maximum comfy SoL.

theres one about a washed up director that makes adult videos now, its really good, but i forgot the title. its japanese, and its recent.

Rent-a-Cat

seconding this
also
Crying out love in the center of the world
Alone across the Pacific
Antarctica
Kamikaze girls
Blue spring
Achilles and the tortoise

if you want korean:
Peppermint candy
Barking dogs never bite

>All about Lily Chou-Chou

That's not comfy at all user. Unless you find the neverending horror of unfathomable cruetly surrounding you existance comfy. Good movie though, even if it's intentionally difficult to get into.

Watch Confessions next, it's probably the most cruel film ever made.

Shit is comy kino af

comfy*

I use the term comfy pretty loosely, but Japanese country side just has something relaxing about it. Also the pace of the movie is pretty slow and somehow they managed to create a comfy atmosphere while displaying a lot of cruelty.

Shaolin Soccer
Kung Fu hustle
Chinese Odyssey
Mermaid
God of cookery
Journey to the west

Don't know if it can be called comfy, but I enjoy over the top wire-fu from the 90's and 80's, like Swordsman, Duel to the Death and Kung Fu Cult Master.

>Journey to the west
Sequel came out this year, is it worth a watch?

Detective Dee could fit in this list, it's a fun movie.

Gook movies are pretty hit or miss for me. I liked memories of murder, enjoyed my sassy girl and i'm pretty lukewarm about a girl at my door, old boy and the host. I'll look into these.

Koreeda is the master of comfy kino and After Life is his best imo.

It's like being tucked into a fresh clean bed on a cold rainy day.

Those are fun to watch every once in a while. Zhang Yimou made some good ones, recently watched the Assassin. Although there are very few fight scenes the movie is beautifully shot.

I would compare it to the mermaid in terms of quality. Fun but nothing new.

This. All these movies look boring AF. Recommend me some gore or yakuza kino.

Ichi the killer
Audition
Lesson of Evil

Yakuza:
The Rambling Guitarist
A Colt Is My Passport
Retaliation

Gore:
Versus
Machine Girl
Tokyo Gore Police

>Woman in the Dunes
>comfy

The fuck?

night and day by hang sang soo

I love these types of movies, here are some recs.
A Gentle Breeze in the Village
A Quiet Life
A Scene at the Sea
A Summer at Grandpa’s
Castaway on the Moon
Hana
The Harmonium in My Memory
Kikujiro
Leaving on the 15th Spring
The Lower Depths
Maborosi
Mushishi
One Wonderful Sunday
Postmen in the Mountains
P. P. Rider
Rebels of the Neon God
Suzaku
Taipei Exchanges
Take Care of My Cat
There Is No Lid on the Sea
Tokyo Godfathers
Typhoon Club
Village of Dreams

Miikeshit

What mood do you recommend to sit down and watch this movie

I've already watched Yi Yi and loved it but im afraid of not watching this in the right head space

Reminder she stole this old guy away from his wife.

Not all Miikeshit is bad. Happiness of the Katakuris is kino.

Evil

Tokyo Tower: Mom and Me, and Sometimes Dad

I find it hard to watch new Asian movies rather than sticking with the old ones

very comfy
big recc

Dust in the Wind
Men from Fenggui

Not from HHH but still good in my book:
A Flower in Rainy Night

The scenery and music is extremely comfy. I used to put it on in the background when I was coming down of ecstasy and clubbing when I was 17

All about Lily Chou-Chou looked promising but as soon as it got to the scene where the kid is forced to jerk off, and it just keeps going and going I just stopped watching. Is it worth continuing?

That's kinda sad...being with your wife forever is beautiful, and now he's thrown that away for some hot af poon

April Snow

I missed ending. Don't know when I can make it up

My sassy girl

Nuan Chun 2003

The Winter 1969

Rent-a-Neko
Nobody Knows
Confucian Confusion
Goodbye South Goodbye
What time is it there?
ViveL'Amour
Scent of Green Papaya (has anyone on Sup Forums seen this?)
Taipei Story
City of Sadness
Shi (aka Poetry)

OK here's some bonus western stuff to remove the Asian Hangover
Une Femme Douce
El Sur
Spirit of the Beehive

I thought that was his weakest :/ sorry

Is this the one where grandma dies in the end

It's very long, so probably watch it on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It is the best childhood film ever made. The Moby Dick of childhood.

i'd help as i like these films too, but i haven't sen enough to recommend any. slice of life anime films are also about the only kind of anime i'll watch too

none of these are comfy, they're all sad
also no pleb on Sup Forums will be able to appreciate what time is it there

>Shi (aka Poetry)
Good stuff

>A time to live a time to die
It's the one with the grandma dies in the middle of it

I tried but I really can't. Every Tsai ever except the cloud one

Welcome to Sup Forums

>Postmen in the Mountains
literally chinese propaganda
>Maborosi
not comfy, great movie tho
>Rebels of the Neon God
same as maborosi

watch them all in chronological order, stinky pleb

>Maborosi
>Rebels of the Neon God
>>Not comfy
They're absolutely comfy. Comfy doesn't exclude sadness, it's more about setting and atmosphere.

And Departures,Ikiru
LITERALLY ALL OF HOU HSIAO HSIEN

isn't sad?

You jelly of my sadness then bitch boy? or just scared you might feel something?
Lol what an idiot

btw RentaNeko is an out and out - nothing happens the movie.

It's one of his most accessible works. Don't listen to that jealous idiot. Try it. It's amazing and weird but you won't forget it for the rest of your life and will watch it again and again. Highly rewarding.

Half comfy, half uncomfy.

comfy is being wrapped in a blanket while its cold outside aka a narrative film with little to no violence, mild sex scenes, well developed characters and a satisfying, heartwarming ending

melancholy is close to comfy but from the opposite side of the spectrum, like how pink is gay red. still red, but requires a different mood to appreciate

basically, kill yourself cunt and do not get people to ruin films for themselves because you're misguided

no pleb can just jump into tsai

Slice of Life is the most garbage setup.

Kids Return

heavy rec desu thanks

Takeshi Kitano is one of the best to be frank.

A Scene at Sea
Takeshi's masterpiece.

Devastating.

A Midsummer’s Fantasia
Only Yesterday

Anything by Shinya Tsukamoto is fantastic, and Tadanobu Asano is always reliable. Needless to say, I was pretty amazed to see them both turn up in Silence. And they were both brilliant in it too.

I think Hana-Bi is his masterpiece. It's a nice blend between his crime films and his more sensitive work.

He's also responsible for the one thing that I always struggle to watch in a film. I think it's in Boiling Point, but somebody gets hit in the head with a baseball bat and it's such a convincing effect that you can almost feel it. I hate it.

Such a fun film. I'm surprised more people here don't talk about it.
What are people's thoughts on Love Exposure? One of the best films of the last twenty years, I think.

Hana-Bi was amazing too. I love this guy to be honest. Hana-Bi, Sonatine, A Scene at Sea, if not all speak to me in deep level

There's a sense of raw emotion in his films that utterly captures me. Beautiful films.

I'm willing to look past the mediocre quality of a movie if it's representative of the sense of humor, culture or life in a country I'm interested in. Many SoC are light hearted, kinda generic, not particularly inventive or creative and don't have much to say. They're just easy and entertaining movies.
I'm not pretentious enough to think that the only real cinema is "art" cinema. I watch lots of arthouse movies and I enjoy them a lot, but sometimes I just want to watch a light, fun movie, knowing it won't make a lasting impression on me. I just like watching movies senpai.

>Japanese/Asian comfy slice of life/whatever movies
Visitor Q

check out Udon

>I can't enjoy movies unless the story is constantly moving.
Sol doesn't always mean shitty moe trash.

Solanin

I can. I've watched through Wang Bing's filmography (or what's availble in the internet in anyway).

I just don't see much in films that happen to be SoC.

Accurate description. I guess I differ from you in that I grow bored with these films because they feel so generic

Is HAaE, dare I say it, the comfiest film of all time?

>I grow bored with these films because they feel so generic
I can definitely understand why someone would feel like that. I can't stick through most big hollywood productions and other capeshit stuff. To each their own.
Most of what is listed in the OP isn't even generic SoL I would say. Just asian cinema general would have been a better title for this thread.