Why isn't there more good cyberpunk cartoons ?

why isn't there more good cyberpunk cartoons ?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/447530/
shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/20849/shadowrun-comic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because it's too oppressive a setting to allow for a lot of different stories, unless you want mock the whole thing.

Good is in short supply for everything

Because Disney gave the Tron series the boot, and never looked back.

Closest we'll ever get. The time has passed.

>cyberpunk never came true like we were told it was supposed to

Is April and the extraordinary world cyberpunk?

It's hard to draw and design for, especially in animation. Animating things with rigid mechanical/geometric structures is incredibly difficult compared to organic shapes. Also a larger percent of western audiences will always find an optimistic cartoon with light tone vastly more attractive than a depressing environment full of heavy machinery and cables. People are scared enough of the future as it is, they don't want reminders they want distractions.

In short it's easier to be a Miyazaki than an Otomo.

Give it time user it already looks like we're heading down that path

Ehhh, a huge defining characteristic of cyberpunk is massive amounts of technology slapped onto everything. With how technology is headed everything is tiny and wireless.

We're almost there user. In time we will sex androids, cybernetics, robots, self-driving cars. Everything in existence is already connected to the internet and mega corporations control the worlds governments. Unfortunately nothing seems to look as cool as it was supposed to.

>governments anymore are run from the shadows by cabals and corporations
>the POTUS is now literally a reality show star and construction mogul
>a trade union grew so large that it became a unified governing body over almost an entire continent, in less than 30 years
>the military is slowly digitalizing, to the point that they regularly use pilotless hunter-seeker plane robots to eliminate targets
>the police are nearly identical to the military, utilizing automatics, NVGs, and robots to stamp out dissent from the status quo
>medical implants are slowly improving and getting front-page news
>the average person spends as much time and money connecting to the Internet as they do offline; not having a home computer or smartphone is considered "odd" or "asocial"
>anthropological microcosms and sub-sub-cultures now influence society in major ways, covertly and overtly
>social divides are widening
>classism is on the rise
Unless you're looking for gun-arms and hovercars flying past giant holo-billboards, cyberpunk is HERE. It's just that this timeline is the wacky timeline, so it's not likely we're going to make it through this unscathed.

Keeping it Sup Forums: can anyone recommend a good cyberpunk book/series?

It's a product of it's time.
The things that made it cool are now wildly obsolete, and the things that made it crappy are depressingly close to the state of the world today.

But user, it did.

We have everything a cyberpunk dystopia has except for the advanced technology.
>widespread government corruption
>organization that keeps a close watch on its citizens out in the open and no one does anything about it
>jobs are slowly being taken away by machines
>social and economic turmoil
>digital media and advertising is even more intrusive

Same as it ever was.

Hardly.

Corporations are even more powerful than any other time in history, and have more influence in modern politics than POTUS.

There hasn't been any breakthrough tech that changed the world in the past 20 years though. Maybe that will change soon.

But the technology is the only part that distinguishes it from the rest of history.

>Ronin
>Marvel 2099
>Batman Year 100, Dark Tomorrow, Batman Beyond, Digital Justice
>Kabuki
>Transmetropolitan

steampunk

did you not see the cars they used? and that fucking zeppelin? could it not be more obvious?

Thanks, lad.

There's pic related and Tokyo Ghost, but I didn't read them... yet. Ronin's also fucking old, hope you won't mind it.

Samurai Jack depending on where you are in the world.

Aeon Flux is probably the definitive cyberpunk piece

Batman Beyond melds the Superhero genre beautifully in a cyber punk world.

The short lived project zeta was pretty damn ok.

Because the drive behind it is dead. There's no cyberpunk or technological revelation - only smartphone zombies and facebook.

OH SHIT FORGOT ABOUT THIS

I mean, fuck. This isn't the 80s. Who cares about cyberpunk anymore?

I member Ghost Rider 2099. The cyberspace scenes were cool.

Smart phones & social networks have only been around for 10 years. That's been the biggest change I've noticed as a tech geek.

I dunno, our present is pretty 80s-ish. I mean look at fashion, design and music.

Also, there is a not too bright Republican president, a conservative female british PM at loggerheads with the EU, everybody is scared of terrorists and Russia, the economy is shitty and pop culture is similar too. Transformers, Ninja Turtles and My Little Pony. Yep, we live in 1980s 2.0.

Ranxerox still holds up I guess and Liberatore's art is always a delight.

You're confusing the aesthetic with the themes. Thematically, it's about social decay in the face of technology, all else is really secondary. We live in a spot-on representation of society in a traditional cyberpunk setting, it's just aesthetically we don't fully align. But take a look into Hugh Herr's prosthetics, the towers in Hong Kong, the development of stem cells and gene therapy, increasing degrees of multi-culturalism, the overwhelming power and corrupting influence of corporations, rioting, racial tensions, mass surveillance is taken for granted by the masses, all the high profile hacks and cybersecurity failures, etc. We just don't look extremely dirty and run down with bulky CRTs strapped to our heads or whatever.

We're living in pretty much the exact prototypical cyberpunk setting already and have been for a few years now. The 2010s really kicked it off pretty well, there's no telling how long it lasts though.

>>cyberpunk
>>good
Gotta pick one, kid.

>>There hasn't been any breakthrough tech that changed the world in the past 20 years though
>smart phones
>myoelectric prostheses
>stem cell therapy
>EVs returning in huge form

Each one of the last 10 years has seen more growth and technological evolution than an other given decade entirely. There's more going on now than anyone can reasonably keep up with across any number of tech and medical tech fields, it's insane.

Still waiting on my Shadowrun cartoon. We're just gonna have to deal with the fact that people aren't attracted to the shit cyberpunk promotes, especially in cartoons. That's sad.

What is it with the fucking pyramids?

The Hacker Files were pretty cool, from what I remember.

Don't mind me, just being the best cyberpunk cartoon ever.

You can blame the Tyrell Corp. building for starting that trend.

>Futurama
>cyberpunk
Is this a joke?

Futurama fits all the criteria of cyberpunk except for the rain.

Excuse me? Futurama is a fucking retrofuturistic cartoon. Same as The Jetsons.

We're there. It's just that science fiction writers gave us too much credit when it came to the culture aspect, it will never look or feel as cool as the 80s made it seem like it would, we won't get a cool post apocalyptic neon city where it's always night time, Harrison Ford won't like like he did in blade runner in 3 years...

>why isn't there more cyberpunk
>posts vaporwave

>Also, there is a not too bright Republican president
I'm pretty sure the guy in the White House has a D next to his name for the next two months.

Animated cyberpunk Disney movie when?

>TFW no augmented Disney princess who didn't ask for this

would it make sense for that to a musical?

Project G.e.e.k.e.R was pretty good but short lived.

OP if you haven't played /u/'s visual novel yet it's worthwhile, excellent cyberpunk aesthetic and UI

its a bartending simulator on top of that

store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

Snow Crash and The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
My favourite books personally.

>made by some no name Venezuelans
please don't shill

it's comfy but i didn't finish it, was worth the pirate and 2 hours i put into it :^)

apparently there's this:

shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/20849/shadowrun-comic

Why AREN'T there more good cyberpunk cartoons.

Also, cyberpunk came true but it wasn't as cool as we thought it would be.

Blade Runner was big for the genre.

But also, that specific pyramid shape suggests a huge, untouchable system, where those enthroned at the top are essentially untouchable gods to those at the bottom, and they demand regular human sacrifices - sometimes in the form of blood, and other times in the form of hours spent and sweat shed toiling away in cubicles. It's basic symbolism.

Did you start a thread just like this in Sup Forums?

Honestly, there are some parts of the cyberpunk aesthetic that I don't like. I'm not digging the whole "dirty, futuristic," aspect of it. But, a lot of the fashion is pretty cool. Personally, I think the future would be way more colorful than what is portrayed in typical cyberpunk

If there was any futuristic aesthetic/themes, that I would say, I prefer over Cyberpunk, it would be afrofuturism and atompunk( The Jetsons, for example.)

We are on the way to having this all being the norm

>self driving cars
>computers in your pocket
>completely digital currency
>a failing environment
>caste systems
>ridiculous hair cuts.
>huge cities in asian countries
>diseases that are ruining the birthrate

It's starting. Real world is gonna get cyberpunk as fuck real soon.

>>cyberpunk never came true
It did though, the only difference is that we don't have neon everywhere because we realize neon is gay as fuck.
>There are only like 6 major corporations in the whole world and nearly everybody else is a subsidiary of them.
>Human rights have been slowly eroding away in every part opf the world and people don't even care for the most part
>There is a population of 7 billion people and growing
>We are marching constantly towards a one world government with not only many countries giving more influence to consolidated multinational groups like the EU but also giving the UN more power as well.
>The governments of pretty much every country in the world are known to spy all of their peoples electronic activity and nobody cares
>Everybody carries a multipurpose computer 1000x more powerful than any of the computers available in the 80's that are capable of communicating with each other at nearly the speed of light.
>Robots have started replacing most entry level jobs.
>These robots could as of right now replace every single job in the world and the only reason they are not is because it would destroy the economy.
>Everybody communicates through a global computer network and spends the majority of their time using that network every day.
>Due to the large population and the hhigh cost of raising livestock alternative means of meat are being considered including cloned meat grown in artificial wombs from animal stem cells, soy products with spliced genomes to taste like meat, and the suggestion of eating otherwise unappealing animals such as roaches and crickets.
>Global climate change is predicted to cause catastrophic damage to coastal regions in next couple decades.
>We are expected to have a martian colony in the next decade and for it to have a population of a million in the next century.
>NASA,ESA,JSA, and others plan to set up bases on the moon and at the asteroid belt as well in the coming decades.
You live in cyberpunk world

>no neon
fuck that, this world sucks

If only there was a way to make buildings black and shiny instead of grey and boring.

>neon is gay as fuck.
Now wait just a fucking minute . . .