What's wrong with this picture? Can you spot it?

What's wrong with this picture? Can you spot it?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsalliance.com/jose-luis-garcia-lopez-dc-style-guide/
newsarama.com/25677-remembering-dc-comics-1982-style-guide.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Harley and Ivy aren't lezzing it up with each other?

Two Luthors? Who's the bald guy under his thumb?

That Robin is a picture of Dick so Batman has 3 Dicks

harley wasn't invented yet in the bronze age

Needs more cowbell

I was about to post this

Looks like Pre-Crisis DC so why is Harley there?

Someone is trying to rewrite History, better call the Legends...

I recognize everyone, but these four people. Any clue on who they are?

There's some fat ugly white thumb in the corner.

>he doesn't recognize Desaad and Mr. Freeze, I mean, Zero
Wow. Like, I get it if you don't recognize Faora and that other Kryptonian dude, but wow.

Mr Freeze under the thumb. On the right I think it's Faora and another Phantom Zone villain.

Beast Boy has no eyes?

Ah, Mr. Freeze before he had any character and was just a guy in a space suit. I forgot that BTAS made the character. I had a feeling that they were cohorts of General Zod, since they were near him. As for Desaad, I haven't read any Fourth World comics.

Catwoman's cleavage

The image is based on the DCU as of the bronze age (late 70s, early 80s), which means that Robin is pre-crisis Jason Todd who dyed his hair black and made a point of looking as much like Dick as possible so no one would realize he wasn't the original Robin.

The problem with the image, as already mentioned, is that Harley Quinn wasn't created until the 90s. And didn't become part of the comic canon until 1999.

J'onn's weird red band holding his collar together
Sinestro facing the wrong way
Black Canary is a giant, lusting after Nightwing

The problem is what user said . Harley & Ivy aren't together, ruins everything!

Batman and Dick have those horrible costumes that everyone hated

Is that robot in the front Metallo?

>another Phantom Zone villain
Van-Zee?

Brainiac

Mr. Freeze, I think

die you stupid cancer.

Harley

"no"

I think maybe Blastaar too?

And yet people have no problem with Stargirl being in the JSA, the team that "inspired" the JL

Dick's popped up collar looked stupid, but what's wrong with Batman's costume?

Harley not being a character yet despite the others being drawn 80s style?

Sinestro's head isn't big enough

"We don't need two stretchy guys."

he looks like a giant toy
especially with the yellow emblem like that

Theres only 1 black guy

Yes it was a better times back then.

Only two POCs.

That's that jobbing son of Darkseid.

Is that really a problem? It's just a classic-styled illustration.

Not diverse enough.

Hillary would've fixed this.

"But wow" youre a prick m8

Goatee is Superman's evil cousin Kru-El

wow darkseid has a lot of friends

Kru-El?

Man, the fucking Silver Age...

don't be a fag, user

Zatanna's shitty JL costume

They didn't color in Beast Boy's eyes.

I don't recall DC editing any JSA pictures from the 80s to add Stargirl in

Yeah, there's a filthy Troq in the picture.

Beast Boy's eyes are miscoloured.

Its incredibly annoying to me as I have the poster, and he's right in the middle.

Is it normal that Siniestro is blue instead of Yellow?

Yes, before the other Lantern Corps were created that was his costume.

It was in pre Johns rainbow party Lanterns.

What year was this from? How'd Harley Quinn get in there?

These big group shots are usually composites of other drawings. Pretty sure most if not all of these are by JLGL though

>What's wrong with this picture?
Donna Troy's not in it.

I'd say this image is representative of DC almost immediately before the Crisis of Infinite Earths so lets say 1985. Post-crisis this Kara never existed and with the Superman revamp in 1986 Luthor and Brainiac don't look like this anymore, the phantom zoners don't come around for some time and are different too.

Harley is definitely out of place as not having been created until 1992.

>(late 70s, early 80s),

If you were to allow that broad of a time range then the Harley problem really isn't that big of a deal because you're also allowing characters like Starfire and Raven who didn't exist yet in the late 70s.

This must between 1983-1986 because that Brainiac was introduced in 1983 and that Supergirl died in 1986. If I had to guess this is a promo picture used for DC's "Super Powers Collection", their action figure toy line in 1984-86.

>aliens don't count
Racist.

It's pretty clear from OP's image that it's from some sort of jigsaw puzzle but I'm not saying the images weren't also use for action figures. Pretty much JLGL did much of the art used for that stuff circa that time frame and I agree with that this looks like JLGL.

>What's wrong with this picture? Can you spot it

DC characters DO NOT SMILE.

it really is a testament to the design of the character that she doesnt look out of place at all amidst the silver age line up

>Silver Age
pls

whatever, you know what i mean

She does though.

how so? her suit seems to be really basic and atemporal, there is nothing to suggest that she comes from a different time that the rest of the characters there

puzzles use pre-existing artwork, there isnt a whole of of commissioned-for-puzzles-only art floating around. I'm thankful that you acknowledged that the image could "also" be used for action figures but if it was for the Super Powers collection, it was for the Super Powers collection foremost then licensed off for puzzle usage.

Would you look at this pic when someone said these are classic comic covers and say "its clear it from a puzzle"? You'd be accurate on one level but clearly missing the forest for the trees.

I suspect your motivation for posting was to disagree on something you really didn't have anything to disagree *on*, leaving you with a largely substance-less posting. Might want to step away from the keyboard for awhile when you reach that point.

Batman has again the most numerous representation.

/THIS

it's DC

Sure - as a Superman fan, I would easily recognize that as a collection of art from the comic books. Even if I was a very casual Superman fan, mostly from the movies or a small run, I would acknowledge and recognize that.

For the OP image, my point was simply that the picture in the OP was clearly marked a puzzle, and that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez was primarily responsible for the 1982-1989 DC Comics Style Guide, and his images were the ones used on licensed products. So if we're talking action figures, or lunch boxes, or cereal boxes, or what have you, it would be his imagery:

comicsalliance.com/jose-luis-garcia-lopez-dc-style-guide/

newsarama.com/25677-remembering-dc-comics-1982-style-guide.html

I'd point you to the penultimate paragraph here, which is essentially a word-for-word repeat from the bio release for his Superman collection hardcover issued by DC in 2013 for the 75th anniversary.

Your post clearly states your belief that this was a promo picture "used" for an 'action figure toy line'. I was pointing out that the picture itself clearly showed it was a jigsaw puzzle. Rather than getting as bent out of shape as you apparently have with this posting, and as you yourself acknowledge by your own admission that I averred that the exact same image on the box of a jigsaw puzzle may have easily been duplicated for a poster or advertising for a collection of action figures. (I even credited you as well as user above who recognized JLGL) for your correct range of the likely time frame of the image).

But to feel the need to write three paragraphs and then suggest I'm the one "substance-less posting" because you somehow think you were dissed is absurd. You're far too fragile and should probably stay away from keyboards for more than a while, given your post.

Bruce has nine, not counting Harley. Clark has 8, not counting the Fourth World threesome. However, in this time frame, and when they first came about, it was in the Super Family books and since none is really represented as a universal villain, I think you would assign them to him versus a JL villain say (otherwise, we might have seen Starro here, or something like that).

Your bigger point might be, for example, that Arthur didn't get a nemesis, but Diana got one, as did Hal. I've never read any Jonn solo titles or back-ups, so if he has any recognizable villains, none are certainly pictured here and Dinah had a life before Ollie, so GA also doesn't have anything for him. Barry, while none of his rogues are pictured, gets Wally so Billy is, therefore, actually one up on the entire Justice League main teams, whether you talk 1960s through this era, because he has Freddie AND Mary, so he has more representation excepting Bruce and Clark.

>not enough POC

I see Cyborg, which can clearly count for two since he's part black and part cyborg.
I see Martian Manhunter, who's green.
I see Starfire, who's orange
I see Beast Boy, who's also green
I see Sinestro, who's purple
I see Darkseid, who's grey
I see the Joker and Harley Quinn, who are white
I see Two-Face, who's half green
I see Desaad, who's magenta
I see Brainiac, who's an android

So lots of diversity there.

Not enought multiculturism
Where's the muslim woman?
Where's the mexican hero?

I swear those comics are made by bigots

Harley

Harley is alongside that clown instead of her one true love The Plant Goddess

Zod should get the Street Fighter costume back. Goatee can stay.

Well almost everything from BTAS was based on the O'Neil/Englehart era of Batman. It would make sense that Harley would be designed to fit in with that aesthetic.

I think the only reason she looks a little out of place in the picture is due to the coloring style, not character design. Everyone else has the classic matte coloring scheme, while her portrait has the more modern digital coloring with more of a "shine" to her costume.

I only see cyborg who's the other?
most of the people with a different skin tone are either aliens or involved in some sort of accident.

So POC only counts if it's black? What about the blue and green people, Green Lantern? What about them?

Right? I mean like ugh #soproblematic #comeonpeople #itsthecurrentyear #islamistheanswer