Now that the dust has settled, what are Sup Forums's opinions on Dunkirk?

Srs question, nobody seems to talk about it anymore

Yet another world war movie with not enough minorities and, I didn't really feel included. I won't buy the bluray.

>He's on me
>I'm on him

Sup Forums doesn't discuss great movies

Think about it...how often does Sup Forums discuss Godfather on here?

One of the best cinema experiences of recent times.
Every usual Nolan flaw is practically non-existant here (no constant exposition, no overwritten dialogue, no too complex storyline, no poor close quarter choreography), seems like he finally listened to all of his critiques and provided undeniable absolute kino.

Obviously you weren't here for the comfy Godfather threads from 72-74

Haven't seen it yet, theres only camrip

Kek

I genuinely feel sorry for you all who will watch Dunkirk first time when the torrent is out. I can't imagine someone experiencing the same thing when that first Stuka beach attack comes in if you watch it on your computer/TV. The cinema experience is worth it for the sound alone.
That first shot when the brit is drinking water visibly startled the entire theatre where I was, every single shot in the film had weight to it. You missed out on a truly kino cinema going.

>He's a big guy for me!
>I'm a big guy for him..

I saw it in true IMAX. Gorgeous to look at and listen to. It pales in comparison to the best war movies but that's because Nolan made the artistic decision to make something elegant and artsy out of a subject matter that is inherently gritty and horrific and largely undignified.

7/10. Very respectable and excellently made, but it didn't really contribute anything new to cinema IMO. I liked Interstellar much better as a cinematic experience. In terms of general rankings, this is one of his weakest films for me, but that by no means implies that it's a bad one.

not even the big guy could save this throwaway trash.

normally the torrent would already be out when a movie has been forgotten so quickly.

It's good, and it's notable for being a uniquely paced and formatted movie, cutting between the land/sea/air in a non-chronological way until the 3 stories end in the same place.

Would have been better with an R rating though, in some parts it's very noticeable how bloodless and sanitized the action is.
There's a moment that stands out, during the beach bombing scene on that poster, where a guy gets hit directly and, rather than getting blown to bits, his body is sent flying into the air in one piece.

How can it be forgotten when it is still being shown in theatres and it is still making money. It already made more than 5 times of it's budget.

The cunt doesn't even know what capital letters are, you can't take his opinions seriously.

It was garbage, like every Nolan film past The Dark Knight

>muh box office

no one cares about it. it will be quickly forgotten.

Best film of 2017 no question

Was getting caught by the Germans part of his plan?

your trolling is as weak as your bench urkel

If no one cares about it, why is it still in theaters? Why is it still making money in theatres even after more than two months of it's release? How delusional can one be?
Also nice reddit spacing.

trash

it's all a visual experience

I walked out not knowing who any of the "characters" where, I don't know any details about anyone, don't even know a single name of anyone in the movie, barely anyone even talks at all

Autism; the movie

useful/10

A little short of masterpiece but an excellent part of kino history.

And why is any of that bad?

A "story" isn't just told by actors reciting lines, you can (and should) tell it mainly visually. What did you want, a scene around a campfire where they all talk about their sweethearts waiting at home? Tom Hardy sipping tea and jerking off to dear Ol' Marge in the airbase? A scene of some old generals in a boardroom arguing while staring at a map?

We do know that the pilot was a pretty big guy but that's about it

>why is it bad that there's no reason to care about a single character

hmmmm

If it were up to me I would have the movie mainly follow one character with like a few of his friends

they would talk a bit in the beginning about how they want to get home and they don't want to die on the beach etc...

they do whatever they can to get on a boat and slowly members of the group are killed off one by one

the main guy makes it to a small boat heads home and breaks down because all his friends are dead

I don't need a ton of characterization, but at least give me something to care about

I have some sennheiser headphones, I'll be okay senpai

How? Do you need a whole backstory for every character first to care about him? Are you so used to capeshit garbage that you first need an entire origin movie for the character setup to care about a person?
Is it not enough to show how Rylance is a compassionate stoic old man who lost his son in the first two weeks of the war enough to care about him? Is it not enough to show a brave pilot continuously sacrificing himself for his fellow countrymen to care about him? To feel sorry for a group of at last saved barely 18 year old soldiers who suddenly get torpedoed the fuck out of? Would a few camping fire dialogue make you care more about them then, would that make a better film?

Downmixed surround sound to 2.0 always sounds bad, no matter which Sennheiser model you have. Also IMAX is capable of reaching 116 dbs with zero compression or digital distortion, if you attempt to reach those levels on your headphones (you would have to have a preamp for them to do that) you would get lifelong tinnitus from it.
And that's just the sound, not to mention that you will be literally seeing less of a picture at your home, a full IMAX frame () is almost a perfect square, the top and bottom will be heavily cut off to fit your computer/TV.

it was ok, but

>the scale of 400 000 soldiers was only present in the first beach scene when we see the wide shot of the soldiers. after that the amount of soldiers on the screen felt completely underwhelming. I heard they also used paper cutouts as soldies, no gci. shame that they didnt do this effort in the rest of the movie. if the point of the movie was to convey loneliness and separation then okay, i would get it if the characters were a bit more interesting so i would want to experience this event with them, but they weren't and there were other hundreds of thousands of soldiers to give a bit more focus on.
>blind kid plot point was completely stupid, i dont get what was the point of that. was it to show the downfall of the PTSD dude? that in addition of being a coward and scared he had to kill a kid. so PTSD makes people do stupid shit? the kid also had to turn blind first, why. i guess the point was that PTSD guy was a fuck up and killed a kid who volunteered to save soldiers, such as the PTSD guy himself, from the battlefield. the guy killed him so he was a scumbag.
>the boats arriving scene was laughably bad with the overbearing music and the amount of boats coming to rescue. so 400 000 people are rescued by some tens of small boats? again, the scale was completely off.
>loud and pompous music from hans zimmer is getting old. so much very little happens but the music tries to make you feel otherwise. best example is the track "the oil". in the scene its just oil igniting, but in the theater your eardrums explode when hans zimmer pushes those organs.
>basically only 3 planes, i expected more.
>the three timeline structure worked alright but i didnt think it was necessary. in fact i think it was a cheap way to figure out how to show all timelines in a single movie. just edit parts of the timeline evenly throughout the film but remember to point out parts where timeline crosses. showing this story in a linear timeline would take more work editing wise.

I'm not a faggot, so it sounds fine to me.

>so 400 000 people are rescued by some tens of small boats?
IIRC, the boats only rescued something like 5% of the soldiers stranded on the beach, and was only memed as something concrete for the war effort by Churchill who comissioned some propagandist to hype it as being "le Dunkirk spirit".

Meanwhile, the French navy rescued a third of soldiers there, but was dismissed by Mr. Nolan. Hmm.

Oh leading to my point of why seeing those little ships feels like they should inconsequential. They were.

Best Sound Mixing and Editing
Best Cinematography
Best Director

Thats our opinion.

>blind kid plot point was completely stupid, i dont get what was the point of that
The "stupid" way he dies is literally the point of that whole scene and the character of George.
Nolan used it to show the juxtaposition of a senseless and pointless death of the boy with the senseless and pointless deaths of the soldiers on the other side. To show what stoicism is with the Rylance's son saying to the shellshocked soldier that the boy is alright. To show that in war old men get young men to die for them. To show that not all "war heroes" are the usual true heroes we all imagine them to be.

>so 400 000 people are rescued by some tens of small boats?
All the small private boats didn't start sailing at the same fucking time, that would be retarded. In total 850 of them were sent between 26 May and 4 June, the film we just see the first wave. And most of the transporting was done by the Destroyers.

>in the scene its just oil igniting
It's oil igniting by an exploding downed plane and the soldiers have to decide either to drown or to get burned alive while the oil burns and the rest have to steer away from catching on fire. How is that "just" oil igniting?

>basically only 3 planes, i expected more
The air narrative takes place in a single hour of an event that lasted for a whole week, and the RAF was stingy on the planes to Dunkirk (therefore the WHERE'S THE BLOODY AIRFORCE line) so three Spitfire's are a fare representation.

>the three timeline structure
By seeing those moments again you get a bigger picture of the situation which is told extremely subjectively from every perspective and to form a coherent interconnected story with those moments, also even more tension bulilding (that Spitfire pilot crash landing on water, looks like he's giving a thumbs up that he's okay to Hardy - cut later - he's actually struggling to get out of the Spitfire so he doesn't drown and the cockpit is stuck because of the hard impact on water).