Why do so many recent movies and tv shows use the phrase "I'll call an Uber" instead of just saying "I'll get a cab"...

Why do so many recent movies and tv shows use the phrase "I'll call an Uber" instead of just saying "I'll get a cab"? Costumbrismo or just product placement?

because people get Ubers instead of cabs nowadays.

you'd know this if you went outside

Why would you expect anything other than this?

>mfw uber is illegal here

Uber is illegal in my country and we can call a taxi and it comes to your place

Lot of movies overshow technology just to point out that it's modern or to show the characters are "more real" because they use normal stuff

They ought to say "hire a vehicle" so the movie won't be dated in 10 years when uber is out of business

So do New Yorkers stand out in the street and shout "UBER!" now?

Sorry to hear that, taxis are a fucking corrupt plague.

But they pay taxes, Uber drivers don't. Plus if the car crashes while you are there the taxi pays you, Uber don't

im sure the driverless vehicles made by uber will still be known as Ubers.

well soon robots will fuck them and truck drivers out of jobs. and robots dont pay taxes or even have a salary to put back into the economy.

>soon
nah

There is already self driving ubers in my city

you're delusional

mexican here, there's uber here and also "cabify" which got in the news a lot because a driver of theirs killed a girl. it's everywhere and it seems like company wars false flag bullshit, they even want to get rid of cabify and stuff

because writers live in la and uber is popular in la
gee what a tough one

Silicon Valley shill detected

I haven't used a cab in years, uber/lyft are way better

Soon everyone will be a comfy NEET living on basic income

Same reason as to why people "google" things, OP

a lot of films in 2015-2017 are trying to create an image of the present day that actually wont be a reality for another 10 years at least.

not sure why they are doing that

what kind of fucking idiot are you? They use their goddamn cell phones

Be taxi driver 8 years its Saturday and 0 runs. Yesterday on Friday sat around 5 hours and no runs then gave up.

t-thanks Uber

there's something hilarious about Sup Forums of all places becoming so technologically illiterate

not really that amazing, cities even in china have apps where you can call a taxi to you in a few minutes

everywhere outside of a city globally do not have this, so it's not known

Absolutely product placement.
Lyft still holds a large share of the market and the Hollywood elites know how problematic Uber as a company is yet they continue to normalize them. "cab" or "taxi" is still a generic term for a paid ride.

t. urban smarty pants

Uber/Lyft or any other ridesharing service is much cheaper and more efficient than shitty cabs. Also, Uber has taken a position as a catch all phrase for all types of ridesharing services, like Bitcoin is used as a catchall for all types of digital currency in some cases.

OP is an autistic frogposter.

Uber exists everywhere, not just in cities. I live in bumfuck nowhere and an Uber can be to my house a million times faster than a cab.

in most countries it does not exist everywhere.

i live in a big town near london, doesn't serve here

Why not just buy a car you plebs

Well, since most media is based in America, it's an answer to OP's autistic question.

fair enough