Another Mother! Thread

Overall, I thought this movie was disappointing. The story was an allegory of the bible that had no original ideas and not a single ounce of subtlety. The cinematography was painfully straightforward. Entire characters and scenes could have (and should have) been removed. So many set up scenes that had no payoff. So many other films have touched on the same themes and had much greater impact. This felt like a directorial debut, which is funny because I also watched Pi today and found it vastly superior. Mother! isnt even shocking. Just shockingly bland and void of creativity.

Yes... B b b b b b but... Was the film lovecraftian? How much of the dialogue would you consider lovecraft inspired?

The Lovecraft posts are statements about how these threads don't matter in the cosmic sense. It's not trolling, and it's NOT meant to be funny. We are small, tiny nothings when compared to the Eldrich totality all around us. Lovecraft posting has always been and will never die; rather, it was been sleeping, like the dreaming Cthulhu, in the deep sea. And now it's BACK...

BACK TO SQUARE ONE NIGGA
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAH

listen up pleb, you obviously didn't understand the subtle kafkaesque flourishes and the orwellian undertones

Darren is a Sneed. You're nothing but a Chuck.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________sneed________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just got back. I liked it. Very Lynchian.

did you mean to type "Chuckaesque," simpleton?

its my movie of the year for me, guess it was too deep for you, I hate using that normie meme term but it literally was too deep for you

>Plebian's Religion Bashing and Pseudointellectual Drivel
>formerly (You)rs

Should have been made with a more independent backing instead of the SJW libtard fest of idiots that made it and chose that mediocre pile of wood to be the lead actress. Knowing the spoilers it's all trite regardless of how you spin it but it sounds like it may be worth watching due to the way its presented but no matter what the quality is going to suffer because of the casting they also have Krysten Wiig in it...

How was it even deep or profound? A high schooler with the most basic knowledge of the bible could get everything. Please, reveal the "deep" meaning. Enlighten me.

Dude like nature and like religion and like god and like infinite time and like creation and like cannibalism and like dude its so deep you just don't understand because you're so close minded about like stuff dude.

It was a feature length Tyler the Creator music video and it was about as edgy as a sphere. The only thing even remotely shocking was the thing with the baby.

Much deep. So thought.

>a J Law movie was disappointing

That's like saying the latest Adam Sandler romp was less than stellar. She's shit and taints any movie she's in by being an awful actress.

Not really shocking since you saw the baby's fate from a mile away (unless you have never heard of an allegory or parable).

It's actually not her fault to be fair. Nobody could have made this film work.

There are plenty of other young and talented actresses to choose from!

Kristen Wiig is perfectly fine in it, though. She just shows up, gives a decent normal performance, and dies.

Lay out for me what actual problems the film has, because I thought it was good.

>he didn't get it

just got back from seeing it
ok movie overall, not great but at least worth a watch. I liked the sound design through the theater speakers the most, but the best part to me was as the credits started a guy got up and said "that was fucking stupid, it wasn't even about anything" before stomping out of the auditorium

A bit too Kafkaesque for my taste

It's literally just pseduointellectual memers shitting on this movie, isn't it?

You know when you get a joke but it still isn't funny? That's this movie. I get it, but it's high school philosophy level of "depth."

What was the room in the cellar?

hell, since it didn't exist until cain killed abel

WOW SO DEEP

That makes no sense outside of the connection to Abel's blood.

What was the tang dust?

But user, this movie was made by a pseduointellectual memer.

why? it punished the sinners

It held the oil that was used to destroy the house, but I would hardly call that the same as being the place where sinners are punished

Why did Eve in particular have such a contentious relationship with Mother?

it also had the frog in there in case you forgot

I don't really see how that's relevant

because eve was tempted and angry about being cast out

frogs are very important symbols regarding punishment

So then, that is a specific commentary by Arronofsky on women or just Eve?

You are literally just making shit up as you go here.

What was the thing clogging the toilet?

>Frog [S]
>(Heb. tsepharde'a, meaning a "marsh-leaper"). This reptile is mentioned in the Old Testament only in connection with one of the plagues which fell on the land of Egypt ( Exodus 8:2-14 ; Psalms 78:45 ; 105:30 ).
>In the New Testament this word occurs only in Revelation 16:13 , where it is referred to as a symbol of uncleanness.

user, this isn't one of those movies you go to to turn your brain off. You have to apply thought and emotion to truly understand. Sorry you didn't pick up on that, I can see how confused you'd be.

you can't seperate women from Eve

So the fact that frogs were one of the plagues means they're inherently related to punishment, and therefore a symbol that the room in the cellar was Hell? You are stretching like crazy on every single part of that.

Have you never heard of fucking princes turning into frogs as punishment you actual irl idiot

That's not actually a part of The Frog Prince, but good try.

it's a part of disney's the princess and the frog

Given how much difficulty people are having answering my questions, I don't actually think any of you really understood this film.

That wasn't a punishment, it was a curse used for personal gain.

Fuck off

I would've been fine with the movie if it ended when she blew the place up but the fact that things were rendered cyclical, does, in fact, make everything that happens in the film entirely meaningless, and no you can't "you just dont get it" argument me out of that one. Fucking thing sucked.

>cycles are meaningless
What a genuinely baffling opinion

Its not about Christianity. It seems like it is, but it just isn't. The Poet wants to make a recreation of the bible, but that is a plot that runs parallel to the main character's. And that's the thing, its all about a character trying to defy the narrative. She wants to be important. She wants to be part of the story. But she just isn't no matter how hard she tries. The only time she actually causes something to happen is when he is paying attention to her. All the other people do not matter at all. She can't kick them out of the house, she can't get the Poet to do anything about it. She is only a filler character trying to be the protagonist, which is the real meaning here.

>critique a deeply flawed movie
>get the exact message of it
>all i hear is HURR DUUR 2DEEP4U
>sorry you didn't get it

Fucking pathetic that none of you can defend this movie.

Feel free to answer the questions I've asked in this thread, since none of you who claim to understand the film have been able to yet

Aronovsky already said its about nature dude. Nothing about religion, just because of blatant cultish image towards the end.

You went to see a movie with Jennifer Lawrence in it and you were expecting high art.

The way the reviewing press have shat on this film almost makes me think that they have to be almost universally wrong/not getting it, or have some extreme desire to "make up" for praising DA's previous work.

I understand the message of the film. The film just wasn't profound, exciting, or interesting. Fucking get over yourself. Woop De Doo! Bible references! So original and thought provoking! Why don't you actually watch a good Aronofsky film like Pi or The Fountain or The Wrestler instead of defending this piece of shit.

You have said literally nothing that suggests you understand the film.

it's kind of hard to take the academy awards® seriously knowing they gave one to jennifer lawrence

Okay "genious". What is the film about? What did I miss? Since you're the "expert."

The idea forMother!came one morning when Aronofsky was alone in his home. He had been contemplating his complete helplessness to combat the world’s environmental destruction—the global-warming crisis, collapsing ecosystems, extinction at startling rates. He decided to spin a story around a single emotion—rage—and spent the next five days writing “about how it must feel to be Mother Nature,” the script pouring out of him “like a fever dream.” The result is a psychological thriller loaded with religious and environmental symbolism, and a few nods to unexpected inspiration.

“Another big influence on the movie wasThe Giving Tree,” Aronofsky said, referencing the Shel Silverstein picture book. It inspired the film’s central relationship, between the title character and everyone around her. “Here’s a tree that gives up everything for the boy. That’s pretty much the same thing.”

So there's a new [earth or other symbol of your choosing here] whenever we fuck it up?

So now that you've copy and pasted that, what makes the movie good?

The Mother = Mother Nature
The Father = God
Humans = Human Nature

God shares his gifts with Humans but humans suck and ruin mother nature. The Baby was Jesus Christ.

I FUCKING GOT IT WOW SO DEEP. They fucking hit you over the head with it.

News flash: movies have communicated the same ideas without verging into camp and shock value.

Check out the samefag that thinks the phrase "you don't get it" passes for intelligent and winning argument.

>people point out problems with film
>don't address them at all
>quiz people on little factoids even though they got the message of the movie
>can't say why the movie is profound, just copy pastes a summary

Wow. Sure showed us.

They don't seem to comprehend that you can understand a movie but still hate it, so instead they'll just insist you don't get it. They have nothing else to stand behind.

It's not 'they.' It's just one idiot with plenty of time but not enough brain cells.

Im not the one you were arguing with. I dont care if you liked it or not.
Its a well made made with with fucking solid performances. What else do you need? I didnt know this shit when I watched it yesterday and I had a blast. Sure it will be shocking for mormies or whoever but who gives a fuck. I liked it and thats what matters to me. If you didnt enjoy, I cant help you.

>He thinks if the cinematographer does his job well and actors do their job well that it means the movie is good
You have to be autistic. Because the human factor is missing.

Am I the only one that got way more of a political vibe from it? It had a ton of themes regarding letting people into your home, having them destroy everything, and then you continue to encourage them.
>We need to find some way to forgive the,.
It kind of just screams Europe, hell I could even see this applied to the U.S. with the Mexican Catholic imagery and the "publisher" executing people.
It's no wonder that the woman is the one who is afraid because at the end of it all she is the one who suffers the most as her child is destroyed and eaten by the mob.
Dunno maybe just me. Jlaw was meh and Darren is losing his touch.

What was the yellow stuff she was drinking all the
time? Why was that guy's blood acidic?

Tears of enviromentalists maybe?

This movie is like someone gave the average Sup Forums user 50 million dollars, a camera and the instruction "make it kino".

Unironic post here.

This movie was indeed kafkaesque? She's in a really shitty situation which only gets more dire by the minute, with the reasons how and why totally unknowable.

I came out of the cinema without knowing about the references to the Bible and nature etc. I got the reference to mother nature but I didn't think it was actually the story. Anyway, I thought about so much while watching the movie. My whole view concentrated on the poet because for me the whole story was in his head. He, the poet who needs more and more content for new novels interacts with women very reckless, they're only his muses, helping him to get to higher forms of writing. So the house was for me a metaphor for his head/mind. I also linked it to the issues of capitalism because of the authors pressure to publish. If you take a closer look to the story without the background of the bible and what I mentioned, and just see those two persons as real-life persons, I've seen mothers/jlaws deep empathy and commitment for the poet but also for her house. I think the scene where she painted the wall was very beautiful (if you look at her passion for hand-made stuff). But you could also talk about common neurosis. Nothing should be touched or left dirty and everything was neat and tidy. Maybe she was a bit stuffy (+ they seemed rich). If you switch back to the distant look at the story you can also mention the metaphor of fame. People walk into your house/sphere of privacy and want everything from you (the exaggeration was the baby eating scene). There were also several topics broached like bigotry/criticism of religion, war (security issues, terror), the theory of the stronger bond of mother to child (the father couldn't be really sure if he is the real father etc), personality cult (linked to historical topics of the beginning of the 20th Century, sex ("eve" breaks everything down to sex), the doctor who smokes could also refer to humans existential crisis, poverty and the human as an inhuman thing (the cages, the execution + a link to real issues).
If I think about the Bible reference now, I couldn't imagine that it was so obvious.

Anyway, can anyone tell me then who the police officers on the phone was if the place wasn't real and only metaphorical? And the hospital?