What does Sup Forums think of this Lynchian kino with Lovecraftian undertones?

What does Sup Forums think of this Lynchian kino with Lovecraftian undertones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dY-LaFHAfQc
imdb.com/title/tt1514425
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chapstick.

I can't believe they actually filmed the gerbil scene

Genuinely creepy scene desu

Too kafkaesque.

I think this movie is great.

Way to fuck up a Mothman Prophecies thread from the start.
Underrated movie though.

I watched it at 3am pitch black.
I was legitimately afraid.

Yeah, while OP goes along memeing, I'll agree with in enjoying this flawed gem.

The Mothman Prophecies was a great way to depict the unspoken spookiness in encountering an otherworldly being that never reveals why it is toying with humanity. Plus, the whole “from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road." talk with Alexander Leek was a pretty hedged, rational discussion about an advanced entity. It's not definitely a ghost, or an alien or a trans-dimensional space demon. They just knew that it was something "other". Good stuff.

i watched it in theaters when i was a young teen and it's one of the few movies i can say actually creeped me the fuck out

a̸͇͖̞͚͕̠͙̭͡ ̴͓̗̹͞b̢͖̭͚̫̟͝ͅr̠͍̞̙͕͖̭̖o̷̳̖͈͟ͅḵ̗̮͢͠e̸̥͟n̖̝ ̛̙̱͟͠s̢͕̞̭͍̰͠m̵͚͖̘̀i̷͉̠͎l̝̟̣̹̫̗̟e̶̩̘̱͍͔̫̗ͅ ͙̺̮͡b̶͓͈͡͠ẹ̸͍͚͉̜͕̫͙͝n̢͕̰̜̰̝̘e̡̙͉̫̮͔͇͈͓͎a̟͞ț̵̴̩̘̺̰̖̩͉h̨͟ ͙̰̦̰͘͢ͅh̡̛̝̙͈̣͖e̷͇͙̟͇͇̺̥̰͓͢r̼͓͚̘ ̝͙̤̟͓w̤̤̞̫͖̣ḫ̷̭͕̖̭í̢͙̖̖̣̭͚̳̱s̵̺͉͔ͅp̩̰̝̰̻̟e̢̖̼̦̤̞ŕ̨̧̫̱̯e̷̯͔̜̣̜̘d̴͓ ͇̖̭͟w͍͖͚í͔͍̝͉̙̬n̵̢͉̩̮̝̣͜g̢̡̼͎͠s͖̳̳͖̼̱̱̖̺͢

>Event it's based on takes place in the 60's
>Flick is set in the 00's
??

Good movie, but does anyone genuinely like Richard Gere? He has the onscreen presence of a mildewy sponge.

But it really is a Lynchian movie (you can clearly see the FWWM and Lost Highway inspiration) with Lovecraftian elements (extradimensional beings beyond human comprehension, small town, weird phenomena, etc.)

I think it was a Fortean masterpiece.

It's a liberal interpretation of the book, which is a liberal interpretation of real events.

youtu.be/dY-LaFHAfQc

>extradimensional beings beyond human comprehension

There's no indication the Mothman is "extradimensional" or "beyond human comprehension". People just have no idea what it is, i.e. it's not been identified.

Pretty good horror to be fair.

whoever chose the music for this did a good job, lots of bowery electric

Reminds me of my idea for a cartoon idea, Wish Fulfillment. MC is a guy bored with life who wishes for his life to be more interesting. The next day, a mysterious manic pixie dream girl shoes up. However, over time, it is implied that she is actually just a disguise for an eldritch monster that is incapable of love and attempting to destroy all life. What's more, she replaced the MC's best friend in the timeline, who come back as a cosmic ghost. Over time, the MC must do more and more depraved things (lie to his friends, banish the ghosy of his buddy, kill innocents) to preserve his fantasy and must choose between keeping his dream world, or saving the real one.

Very good and creepy movie. Hate the idea of living in a house in the middle of nowhere and some creepy guys coming in over and over again (well, that was in the book, really, in the movie the visitor was gere, but still...) and also that phone scene. Also the score and the sound design is superb.

>that stock scream sound in the bridge scene
flick RUINED

I can appreciate your argument, but you knew what you were doing with that thread title, OP. :)

Really underrated, one of my fav DVDs i had 15 years ago.

>There's no indication the Mothman is "extradimensional" or "beyond human comprehension"

It was heavily implied, tho

>"If there was a car crash blocks away, that window washer could likely see it. That doesn't mean he's God... or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting he can see a little further down the road."

>"I think we can assume that these entities are more advanced than us. Why don't they just come right out and tell us what's on their minds?"

>"You're more advanced than a cockroach. Have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?"

Criminally underrated. I'm thinking Richard Gere wasn't the best choice for a lead to sell this movie. Not that he's bad, he's really good actually, but still people have that image of Gere and that doesn't really work for the favor of this movie.

We've met before haven't we?

Anyone has ever watched the "sequel"? Everywhere says it's fucking garbage

I'm not a Gere fan, but I do like how he fits the role of the metrosexual city journalist getting shit on with the death of his wife and being thrown into this fish-out-of-psychological-water situation. I think anyone can relate to that kind of existential shift in what is important, and he did a good job in seeming emotionally-sincere while also having that douchey first impression that small-towners would find off-putting at first.

Some elements from Keel's original story just wouldn't have fit within the narrative and tone of the film. I would have loved seeing the Men in Black, though.

First time hearing about that.

Surprised to see so much anons ITT agree that its a good movie.

Will watch.

I've never even seen it, but the music I heard 10-15 years ago in the commercial is still in my fucking head.

It's not an official sequel, what's why the "" on my previous post.

>imdb.com/title/tt1514425
>In Point Pleasant, land of the legend The Mothman, a group of seven teenage friends accidentally kills the boy Jamie (Alex Hardee) in a prank by the river and they decide to cover up the incident. Ten years later, the journalist of the Washington Weekly Katharine Grant, who was one of the seven teenagers, is assigned by her editor to return to her hometown to prepare a matter about the 10th Mothman Festival. She meets with the other six friends that have stayed in the town and sooner they are murdered one by one by The Mothman. Katherine and her former boyfriend Derek seek help with old blind man Frank Waverly that has been luring The Mothman for many years trying to save their lives from the punishment of the entity

Wrote by a 2 Broke Girls writer too top kek

Hope you like it, user. It's a slow burn, with some 90's-era camerawork & editing, but it is still prime subtle spookiness IMO.

I totally agree.

Enjoy! Might actually put it on myself, I haven't watched it in a couple of years I think.

despite the memery, this and the discovery of the derelict craft in Alien are probably some of the best instances of the Lovecraftian in cinema.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chuck's Fuck & Suck

Why does the idea of Indrid Cold spoil me? It doesn't even make sense as a cryptid. It's almost like a closed circuit loop in reality, in the image of a man.

Boooooooooring

>It doesn't even make sense as a cryptid
That's because it wasn't one.

I don't know if you are talking about the film character or the “true”reports from the book. The film character seems almost like a kid indifferently teasing and torturing ants on the sidewalk. It flexes its own superiority of perspective over them, and seems to enjoy both he hope and the horror that it raises in them. Watching the little people scurry at its revelations.

Bump

Interesting that both the movie and reading some parts of the book, Indrid Cold is a pretty spooky character that gives me shivers. Or the idea of him... or her or whatever. Something that moves in all the possible ways in the uncanny valley - almost human, but not quite.

Yeah. I don't believe there's much legitimacy in the tales, of course, but I do like the idea of some unfathomable conscious agency that is putting on its best representation of a human appearance (like the pigmented eyes on a moth's wings, for example) in order to playfully/sinisterly interact with people.

Oh yes, the book goes so far into the tin foil hat area, totally bonkers, but in the beginning the mystery is interesting. And hey, something might have happened in that little town, but what it was... who the hell knows.

Ah cool, I see. I never read the book, though I might dive into it sometime, haha

I definitely recommend it.

So why does the mothman movie work and this falls so flat?
Is it because they show too much of the monster?

The Barrens is the original title for this one.

Im out of the loop with this Lynchian and Lovecraftian shit. What brought it along? is it the new sneed?

Your Shoe

I think Mothman works because, yes, it leaves so much unsaid & unexplained, and not in the hollow, triestoohard Lindelof way.

This.

one of my favorite Nolanesque flicks