Honest opinion, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jzlynSZ7p7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gud film

Drive for contrarians

>Shit Sup Forums tricked you into watching

Neon Demon > Drive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>OGF

I had an idea of what it was trying to go for, but it was still an awful movie.

I got through about 20 minutes.

Refn is a hack and Gosling is a bad actor.

Pleb filter of the highest level

Wannuh fai?

10 outta 10

>le edgy asian man
He was cringy as hell.

The title is too pretentious and I'm sick and tired of that neon aesthetic. Didn't watch.

I sat through the whole thing and still didnt understand what the fuck it was about. All I remember is Gosling wandering around some asian country which was lit almost entirely by neon signs and near the end some asian boss guy beats the piss out of him

one of best film of decade as voted by Sup Forums

Amazing soundtrack, Amazing visuals, I enjoy watching gosling brood for some reason. All over a really good 'movie'.

It was about having mommy issues.

it's not refns best movie but it's still good
and only retards dont understand what it was about

Great
Hated it first time I saw it. Watched it again a year later and loved it.
Not a perfect film, but pretty fucking great

>that scene where his mother was talking about her son's dick sizes
What was her problem?

You may have gotten the retard virus somewhere in between the timelines, user. Stay safe.

easily one of my favorite movies

I enjoyed it.

I absolutely love it, and Refn is one of my favorite directors. That being said, anything not related to visuals or sound was total dogshit (plot, dialogue. Acting was okayish)

From my personal view: 8/10
From my internal film critic view: 6/10

Its not very good

The epitome of what Refn has become:

Style over substance. And what little substance he puts in isn't fresh or new.

He paints everything with neon like lipstick on a pig.

TAKE IT OFF

was terrible. walked out of my house halfway through

My favorite Winding film.

Best part of the film to be honest

>I'm sick and tired of that neon aesthetic
There can never be too much neon aesthetic.

>Refn
It's shit.

4pbp

>Batman v Superman
I almost fell for this. Well played.

i liked Valhalla better, but it was very good

Fuckin this

OGF > Drive > Neon Memeon

Kino.

Is this movie where they show a mental patient shitting in his hand?

No that was Drive

I swear to God it was Bronson?

Damn every Refn movie looks alike

This its a pleb filter as it, if you like this piece of shit you're a bonafide pleb.

no, it was Bronson

it looked good, i would've liked a decent story, some dialogue and some character development tho.

>clearly an art-house film
>w-wheres the plot

everytime
I love this movie honestly

I really wanted to like this, but it was too abstract for me, it had nice visuals, but the scene where Gosling touch her mother's womb after he founds her corpse was too much.

I haven't seen The Neon Demon hope
it's better .

This nonsense is so inorganic to any sense of globetrotter restlessness or anything explicitly or metaphorically to do with British or American colonialism that it just feels derivative. That Kubrickian scene in Drive of dead-eyed strippers watching an assault gets extended here in a more elaborate whorehouse sequence where catatonic hookers bear mute witness to instances of police corruption. Refn’s tableau of organdy-gowned call-girls listening to pop while watching violence in a bouquet-bedecked whorehouse is the ultimate David Lynch parody.

Gosling and Refn have art ambitions–a strange sense of fun. But how can film culture progress with fantasies like this? There’s no shock or outrage left. Refn relies upon a level of menace (unerotic, non-provocative) that precludes caring about or responding to violence, vulnerability, mortality. This is cinema for unsophisticated viewers who don’t already know Bunuel’s eye-slashing, Altman’s Coke bottle assault or Shakespeare/Julie Taymor’s Titus. Children of Kubrick, Friedkin, Lynch and Tarantino, they remain infantile about movies.

>plot
How about characters not acting autistic? Refn can't direct performances.

Film's great
It just triggers people who wanted an action thriller. The same people that hate this film are the ones that call John Wick one of the best films of the decade

It's worse. It's less sutble than Aronofsky.

Impossible to discuss on Sup Forums because if you post any criticism of it people who haven't even watched it will just call you a pleb.

I was actually disappointed because the film itself didn't have ENOUGH neon aesthetic. It is very bland and Chinese.

I hate only god forgives and john wick john wick 2, both bad movies praised for no reason.

pleb

damn
neon demon was okay, not great. only god forgives was mediocre.
begining to think Drive was a one off thing. Maybe refn needs to stop trying to write his own movies. He needs books or a good screenwriter to cover his shit, then he can focus on the pretty lights and expensive cameras (which he does very well btw)

This and Under the Skin. I watched them because of someone's image saying these three films were the best of 2013. The third film was Spring Breakers and now I am never going to watch it.

It is
As you can see from OGF is for the Sup Forumseddit generation

Watch Bronson, that's easily as good as Drive. Probably because Refn didn't write that one either.

>the scene where Gosling touch her mother's womb after he founds her corpse was too much.
That was actually Gosling's own suggestion. No idea why.

You would shit your fucking pants if he gave you that look in real life, don't deny it.

>Asian cop guy is supposed to be God
>almost gets killed by a gun

Explain this.

ive seen it. Bronson is very likeable and watchable as a character but a lot of the events in the movie are kinda forgettable. There are however a handful of very standout scenes. in my opinion, better than only god forgives and neon demon, but not better than drive

i dont want to put drive on too high a pedestal, but i remember literally every scene from that movie. Every scene is significant, fantastically directed, and either advances the plot or builds a character in a significant way. I feel like i cant remember about 3/5ths of bronson. I understand he was troubled but for some reason i remember too many samey scenes of people talking to him trying to get through to him, saying "you can be a good boy if you try charlie".

I'm always dumbstruck when people act like this is Refn's best work. There was a time when he was making films that married unique visuals and stylish violence with interesting stories as is the case in the Pusher trilogy, Fear X, and Valhalla Rising, for example. Only God Forgives, however, is soulless outside of its visual effects and style.

It was okay, I didn't love it

because gosling is a pretentious hipster in a chad's body. Dude has a band that uses old mellotrons and children clapping/singing choruses. I wouldnt put "le return to the womb" symbolism past him at all.

when? during the shootout? the way the scene is directed implies he is under some sort of divine protection. Gets fucking sprayed at with an uzi, has only a table between him and his attacker, and everyone else in the resturaunt dies. Once you understand he survived these insane odds with little effort/protection and how easily he tracked the guy down and beat him up, you should realize he was never even close to being killed.

His band is pretty awesome, only problem is I have no idea which voice is his and which voice is the other guy's.

i was mostly being cynical, his band is actually pretty cool

That's a good point actually. Now that I rewatch the scene I also notice that one of his cop buddies that's always with him also escapes relatively unscathed. I wonder what he's supposed to represent, one of the angels?

youtube.com/watch?v=jzlynSZ7p7k

Haven't seen the others (well, I saw the remake of Pusher on accident but that wasn't him) but Valhalla Rising was pretty boring. I wanted to like it but even OGF was better.

Why would a man challenge God to a fistfight?

It was Refn's way of expressing his frustration and his own desire to do so, even though he knew it would be futile
Surely you've had a similar desire yourself at one point or another?

One of the best films ever tbqh. Neon Demon was good but it was a bit of a mess at times, OGF is just perfect all the way through.

Under the Skin was shit, Spring Breakers is one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen, but it might go over your head. :^)

autism as its finest

No, I've never battled with imaginary figments of my imagination.

Well now you have me curious because UtS was certainly far worse than OGF. I'm not a homophobe or anything if that helps.

Better than anything else he's made desu, though that's not saying much

I have a picture of Jonah Hill wearing a fedora that is now my mental image of you.

Spring Breakers is anti-art spew. Korine is easily one of the worst directors practicing today.
Vincent Gallo on Korine:
>When a mini-dwarf rich kid from Nashville like Harmony Korine flies first class and moves to New York City’s Soho in his ‘plush safe’ apartment, running around town quoting Godard with lines like, "Fuck the bourgeois", it’s insincere, it’s calculated, it’s unoriginal, and it’s the worst thing in the world, ‘trendy’. He already knows that he and his boring girlfriend Connecticut Chloe Sevigny are going to be on the cover of ‘The Face’. He knows he’ll get his run at The Angelica and be hip in Japan. But no one will ever make an important film because they saw ‘Gummo’ or ‘Donkey Boy’.
If you're so easily impressed to fall for Korine's spew, I recommend you watch more film, especially non-contemporary.

Not an argument.

>shitting on pusher

Based
You really have to be a special type of easily impressed pseudo intellectual to like Spring Breakers

>Not an argument.

Harmony Korine is a pretty good name, or it would be if he were a girl.

Literal masterpiece, I just wish it was longer.

imagine being this much of a plebeian.

>Gosling touch her mother's womb after he founds her corpse was too much.
>"le return to the womb" symbolism
I love it when plebs try to criticize something as too obvious and yet expose themselves as not even understanding it

If it were any longer I would have fallen asleep.

is vinny upset that a more talented filmmaker than him that he respects(herzog) called korine the future of american cinema?

some of the stuff he writes is hilarious though
>“Last year, there was an exhibition of my work at the Agnès B. gallery [in Paris] and a guy comes sniffing me. I pushed him back like I would have any other schmuck coming too close to me. A year after that, he’s President of the Jury at Cannes and he’s fingering Gus [Van Sant]. They’re fingering each other with the dick of that blond guy from Elephant in their mouths… Disgusting.”

They were both fucking Chloe Sevigny, pretty sure she left Vincent for Korine so I don't think the directing is the reason Vincent hates him.

what an idiot
korine is the greatest american director, and yes mr Gallo, many people are inspired by his masterpieces

Gallo still has his sperm for sale on his website

Some 4'6 manlet beating a guy twise his size and weight. Yeah, no, not happening.

>many people are inspired by his masterpieces
Name one.

Werner Herzog.

N-name another one.

me

Did anyone else have trouble watching the torture scene?

Herzog is a hack in his own right. His earlier successes were only managed through his sheer madness, and those were made before Korine existed. He hasn't produce anything worthwhile during the lifetime of Korine's career - this is no coincidence then if he really was influenced in any way by the likes of Korine. Try again.

>Herzog is a hack in his own right
Imagine being enough of a contrarian pleb to think this.