Goddamn, this movie fucked me up good. I watched it months ago and I still regularly think about it...

Goddamn, this movie fucked me up good. I watched it months ago and I still regularly think about it, I even had nightmares about it. Am I the only one who had such a strong emotional reaction to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QiLza4B6XhA
youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc
youtube.com/watch?v=RIdJsMtO3AU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It is sad as fuck and pretty fundamentally depressing.

What? It's mostly hilarious and then at the end strangely moving as Lynch gently plucks your heart strings. Calling it "sad as fuck" seems weird, it's not Schindler's List. It's a goofy work of surrealist genius.

No, it was meant to be a nightmare.

There's a difference between sad and depressing.

First of all, no there isn't you absolute brainlet. Quit trying to be deep, they're synonyms. Second, the comment calls it both.

I honestly didn't see the twist coming and that made it that much more unsettling for me. The lynchian humor here and there lightened it up a bit but for me the film is dark and depressing, the second half is just relentless.

Interesting. The twist more annoyed me than anything, it'd be like if Harry Potter ended with him waking up at age 11 in his closetroom and it was all a dream. But as it progressed I started to like what Lynch was doing, completely upending everything. And I realized it was necessary, otherwise the movie would've been dumb, imagine if the starlet's stupid cheesy can-do gumption was left to stand. I personally wasn't really depressed by it so much as sort of masochistically amused, and even aroused, by the abusive twist to their relationship, and then very much amused by the old people at the end. I can see why you'd be depressed by it the more I think about it, that's just down to different people, different reactions. I know people who think the end especially is proper horrorcore. I was more inspired to create great art myself by the end than anything.
I would say my three main reactions to it were amused/aroused/inspired.

L Y N C H E D
Y
N
C
H
E
D

I don't find it depressing or sad, just strange. But if it makes you think long after then it means there are some pieces it unsettled in your mind and that is one of lynch's goals. .

>The lynchian humor here and there
>here and there
It's the vast majority of the film, what are you on about? The film is marketed as a 'dark psycho-sexual thriller' but that is an awful description of it. Most of the movie is a comedy, there was an ominous tone at the start and the ending, 2 lesbian scenes, and that's it.
It is mostly a comedy.

>It is mostly a comedy.

I don't see the film anywhere being classified as a comedy, maybe that's your interpretation of it. I suppose the director scenes are somewhat funny but the main story and atmosphere is ominous. All the characters acting 'off' in the first half just unsettled me, maybe it was amusing to you. It's definitely supposed to be a psychological drama.

Boring. Dunno what people see in it.

After the opening scene the film is comedic until they look into the house and see a dead body.
That's the majority of the film.

The film didn't make me laugh once so it's not a comedy, not at the Billy Ray Cyrus scene, not when Angelo spat his coffee out, nothing. I guess I was just too invested in the film while you were busy trying to analyze it from a meta perspective.

I see what you're saying but you're being a little unfair. There are bursts of straight comedy, just like that one burst of straight horror, but for the most part it's quirkily unsettling, riding the line between comedic and horrific, and slipping now and then directly into one or the other.

jesus christ all these kids who jumped on the twin peaks bandwaggon

Nah, this movie's been on Netflix. You always see an uptick on this board about certain movies when they're on Netflix.

It's mostly lighthearted and full of cliches, not comedic. Which is kind of the point of the film, too.

I can't think of any comedic scenes but the ones with the director in the 1st half

Maybe Betty's quirky neighbors

>It is mostly a comedy.

Is this guy trolling or what

This movie and Eyes Wide Shut are the only two movies on Earth that give me that unsettled "something's not quite right here" feeling that can't be explained away

I wonder if any other movies will ever do the same

Force Awakens

Kill List

For a Lynchian flick, Mulholland drive was pretty lovecraftian imo

Of course there are plenty of comedic scenes in the film - even if you don't find them funny it is still meant to be humorous.
I mean this is a scene from a 'dark psycho-sexual thriller'
youtube.com/watch?v=QiLza4B6XhA
You can love the film all you want - don't tell me that scene fits how the film is marketed. It is mostly a comedy. Does it play around with your emotions at parts? Yes. Does it Have a very grim ending and reveal? Yes. Is the rest of the film anything other than humorous? No.

Very Kafkaesque

just lighthearted

only the diner scene. the rest is boring drivel.

no, sad and depressing are not synonyms. sad is a broader term which includes depressing but could also include tragic things that spur you to action rather than leaving you "depressed". a sad moment can be the beginning of a lazy depression or the beginning of a revenge action movie.

>not the Shining, the one movie for which Kubrick put to use his intensive studies on Freud's ideas of the Uncanny, which, incidentally, is also the word you're looking for

Why wouldn't he mean Eyes Wide Shut? The film that follows a characters paranoia after witnessing something he shouldn't have.

>Am I the only one
Kys reddit

>It is mostly a comedy.

Just fuck off dude, absolutely nobody agrees with you. One four minute comedic scene doesn't make a two and a half hour movie 'mostly a comedy'. It's been 16 years since the movie came out and I never even seen someone call it a comedy. It's mystery/drama/surrealism, nothing more.

There is nothing more pitiful and annoying than pretentious idiots. You successfully combine the two worst traits in a person.
Sad and depressing mean the same thing you faggot, I didn't need that response, I knew what you were trying to do, but the fact is that you're not doing it, you haven't cleverly divined the subtle distinctions between two words which every thesaurus or grammatician will tell you are exact synonyms. Kill yourself.
>Bro it's like, angry and infuriated don't mean the same thing bro, it's like, you might think one word is just bigger, but actually bro, infuriated means like, you've been spurred passionately to action, whereas anger, bro, is just like, what it is, man, like, just anger.

>Just fuck off dude
You're pathetic - you can't even provide an argument.
I have given you proof that a scene that quite clearly wouldn't be comedic in a dark psycho-sexual thriller IS comedic. Another user brought up other scenes that he didn't find funny (even if they are meant to be funny). Another user keeps saying it's 'lighthearted'.
I don't even think it's a bad film - but if you were disturbed by it throughout its entire run, there's something not quite right.

It's still not anywhere near to being a comedy, try harder.

Eyes Wide Shut is also creepy and imo more unsettling, but the Shining is the movie Kubrick actually made with the intention of playing with the Uncanny.

>I have no argument so I'll just keep repeating the same thing over and over again
Are you one of the people here that keep calling The Return an '18 hour movie'?

>few funny scenes
>somehow proves that majority of the movie is comedy
You're retarded and wrong. And a lot of people find this movie disturbing. Even if you don't find the movie disturbing, the dark and ominous scenes outnumber the comedic scenes.

Personally, the Shining was ruined for me by all the pop culture references and the 'here's Johnnys' over the years before I watched the movie. I couldn't take Nicholson as a killer seriously, he was just too damn charismatic and overexposed as an actor to work for a horror film.

That's simply not the case though. I pointed out when the movie is 'disturbing' - the opening scene, and everything after they find the body in the house.
The majority of the movie is not dark and ominous. And even if for some bizarre reason you believe almost all of the film is 'disturbing, dark and ominous' how much of it fits the dark psycho-sexual thriller marketing?

desu the director subplot gets way too much time

Yeah I didn't find it the slightest scary, for me it's actually comfy wintercore with just the sort of tasteful edge you want from a snowy movie between Halloween and Christmas. But there's no denying Kubrick's intentions and most people's reactions. I think most anons are like you and me, the sort of people not to be easily unsettled, keep in mind plenty of people find the Conjuring movies to be horrifying.

>The majority of the movie is not dark and ominous

Wrong

>everything after they find the body in the house.

The first half is ominous and has a lot of foreshadowing.

>how much of it fits the dark psycho-sexual thriller marketing?

I don't care about the marketing. The movie is a psychological drama through and through with a mystery theme and sprinkled with Lynchian surrealism. That's been established for over 16 years. Even the few comedic scenes are only comedic if you have a fucked up sense of humor.

You're the first person in history to call the movie ' mostly a comedy'. Your opinion is wrong, stop trying.

>a severely autistic brainlet gets angry at people for explaining to him feelings he will never comprehend due to his brain damage

>how much of it fits the dark psycho-sexual thriller marketing
Another user jumping in here, has it been a minute since you've seen this? I would say that's a spot on description. The comedic scenes may be sticking out too prominently in your memory. I definitely got a Twilight Zone feel throughout, which was the intention.

If I'm alone on this issue, and people have been thinking otherwise for 16 years, why can't you actually provide an argument other than "No - you're wrong".

Weak. I've already hit with the killshot, lay down and die of your wounds already, quit dragging this out. There's nothing more to be said.

>has it been a minute since you've seen this?
No - I watched it probably this time a year ago.
When the movie wanted to be ominous I thought it was really effective. The opening is fantastic in my opinion, and I wish the rest of the film was like it.
The rest of the film isn't like it though.
And it's not like Lynch has never successfully blended comedy with a 'dark psycho-sexual thriller' before - just look at Blue Velvet.

You forgot to teleport behind me and slice me with your supreme katana.

youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc
LOLXDDD

I agree he blends comedy, but it's mostly in the director's bits. Otherwise the two MCs are lesbians with a lot of sexual tension in a trippy, mysterious, sometimes straight up surreal situation which eventually culminates in a tragic, horrifying end. To me that's a dark psycho-sexual thriller. A year is longer than you think, you might try watching it again and see if you have a different experience than you expect from memory.

That happens after they find the body you retard. I'm glad one of us has watched the film.
That could very well be the case, but I'm pretty sure Naomi and Laura's characters in the dream are happy for the most part. I mean they mess around when the actress is practicing her lines, and then you get the scene where she stuns everyone with her audition.
I can't think of many ominous/dark scenes inbetween the barriers I've set (opening - finding body)

This is my favorite movie and to a certain extend I hate myself for my plebian tastes.

Everything about this movie just works me on all the right levels. It's such a pleasing experience to all my senses all the way through. Blue Velvet and Lost Highway come close with a similar feel but nothing tops MD.

It's not wired if you know spanish, sounds like sabrina

is that supposed to be sad?
it's lighthearted.

>can't think of many ominous/dark scenes inbetween the barriers I've set (opening - finding body)

Good for you, that still doesn't make the movie 'mostly a comedy' like you said earlier. It's a mystery that gradually becomes more disturbing. Also I can think of plenty ominous and unsettling scenes before the dead body like the diner scene, the shadowy mobster character, Irene and her husband manically grinning the car, the meeting with the cowboy and the woman who warns Betty that something terrible is going to happen, not the mention all the cues in the music that tell you that something's not quite right. Where the hell do you see the comedy in that when you say it's mostly a comedy? I agree that there are a few scenes that are supposed to be comedic but calling the movie 'mostly a comedy' is just straight up wrong and stupid.

No, they're not really happy. I'll try to think up the things that make it ominous. This won't be comprehensive but it gives the gist. Remember that's it largely subtle.
>Starlet comes to LA, cheesy gumption to the point of parody (even dubbing her lines for subtle effect, makes it feel too bright and off). Cut to the elderly people she arrived with, maniacally grinning in their car. What?
>Starlet comes home to find Rita, bleeding from the head. What's her deal? Meanwhile we're shown that the "people" involved with Rita at the opening are looking for her, introducing dread.
>A general increasing feeling of wtf is going on? More dread as the search from basically the Illuminati increases for Rita, while they try to get to the bottom of it. Mystery.
>Rita is visibly shaken and never quite right all throughout.
>Old woman comes to door and starts declaring that they're in danger. Something else to note at this point is the camera work, for instance in this particular scene there is a strangely quick zoom on an unsettled Rita, for no apparent reason.
All of this builds until finding the dead body, at which point, as you remembered, things really let loose, they fuck, they go to Silencio with the ominous bluehaired drag queen, never explained, strange situation all around.
>Shit goes topsy turvy as it I'd revealed everything before was bullshit. Crazy camera work, tragedy and horror here on out.
So you can see that outside of the director, there isn't much comedy. The girls' relationship is consistently tense, mysterious and tragic, rarely happy. Note I've even left out the ghoulish creature to focus on the subtlety.

It feels weird that you even have to argue that the film is not a comedy. It's the least comedic Lynch movie by a mile. Even the failed hit scene is more confusing than funny.

Kafkaesque would actually apply to Mulholland drive.

>hate yourself
Why? it's legitimately a great movie.

That said, I prefer Blue Velvet personally. First, I don't care about lesbians, and second, while it's completely watchable and engrossing all the way through, at the end I felt like I'd just watched an elaborate fantasy of a small town girl with insecurity issues and latent homosexual urges who dreams of becoming/failing to become a movie star. Whereas Blue Velvet struck me as something more grounded in reality, and therefore was more horrifying. All the way down to the fucking chicken dance. The key is what it all amounts to in the end, for me.

schindlers list was the funny one trying so hard to force bullshit for heart strings "muh nazi boy luffs jew gurl" and is full of historically inaccurate bullshit, mulholland drive was the all to familiar story of a deluded individual getting off the bus to become the next big thing and failing abysmally like most do spiraling into self destruction.

>I would say my three main reactions to it were amused/aroused/inspired.
evidence you don't have a fucking clue what the films about.

>you can't even provide an argument.
It's hard to bother rebutting a point derived from your apparently highly unique subjective interpretation which no one else on earth shares, stupid feral cunt.

I really can't get into Blue Velvet after watching Mullholland Drive first. I guess my expectations where too high and I expected somethings similarly dark but it's too campy for me, some of the performances are just hysterical. I never felt that Jefferey was in any real danger. Still a solid movie with a lot of memorable scenes but Mullholland Drive just left me speechless and depressed.

>It's the least comedic Lynch movie by a mile.
You really have only watched Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive, huh? Maybe not even Twin Peaks, because Fire Walk With Me is much less comedic than Mulholland Drive after the 30 minute mark.
Lost Highway and Inland Empire are also nowhere near as comedic as Mulholland Drive.
>>Starlet comes to LA, cheesy gumption to the point of parody (even dubbing her lines for subtle effect, makes it feel too bright and off). Cut to the elderly people she arrived with, maniacally grinning in their car. What?
This was comedic/lighthearted to me. Obviously it was over the top, but I didn't find it dark, disturbing or ominous.
>>Starlet comes home to find Rita, bleeding from the head. What's her deal?
I don't remember this being disturbing or dark etc. 'Starlet' was being pretty caring and compassionate, was she not?
>>"people" involved with Rita at the opening are looking for her, introducing dread.
>>A general increasing feeling of wtf is going on? More dread as the search from basically the Illuminati increases for Rita, while they try to get to the bottom of it. Mystery.
I don't remember being phased by the people looking for Rita at all. They were an incredibly minor part of the film - along with the detectives looking at the wreckage.
>>Old woman comes to door and starts declaring that they're in danger.
Fair point
>>Rita is visibly shaken and never quite right all throughout.
I disagree. I remember Rita warming up as the film goes along, and the two become more and more close. There was the practising the lines scenes where they're both laughing together (I can't seem to find it on YouTube though), and then there's the audition scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=RIdJsMtO3AU
Those were comedic.
I don't remember many more scenes with the two girls before the body, but I'm sure there's more. If not, then that means the directors scenes were more prominent - which we've already said are comedic.

No, it doesn't. Pic related movie's tone is sad, meaning melancholic and resigned, but not depressing compared to a movie like Dancer in the Dark or Lilja Forever, which are depressing. So there is a quality and quantity aspect of gradual difference between sad and depressing.

Overrated as fuck. A remake of Lost Highway is all this is and Lost Highway was a much better film.

>I never felt that Jefferey was in any real danger.
What? I've never watched a film where I thought characters were in more danger than in Blue Velvet.
That car ride scene is renowned for making the danger palpable.

Just give up, your interpretation of the movie is dead wrong. There's nothing comedic about it except for the few scenes of lynchian humor, which serve more to confuse and unsettle than to humor.

Also how's the audition scene in any way comedic? What even is your definition of comedy.

What about the Dickensian aspect?

You're talking to two, possibly three people by this point.

>everyone on Sup Forums is one other guy, it's all just me and that one other guy

The villain characters were just too over the top to take them seriously. Overall the tone wasn't as serious as I would have liked it to be. I really tried hard to suspend my disbelief and immerse myself into the movie but it didn't induce any kind of realistic dread for me. I don't know what it was, the realism just felt off, it felt like a stage play.

You're using words but not really saying anything. You used synonyms for sad as examples for how sad is different from depressing, which is a fucking synonym for sad. I hope you're not a different person coming to that fool's aid, but just the same fool trying to start up with me again, because if there is an increasing number of people who believe sad and depressing don't mean the same thing, I worry for the world.

Pathetic as per usual. If you can't give an argument then why are you so keen on telling me I'm wrong?
How is the audition scene NOT comedic? I found it funny how it goes from Betty seeming unprepared for her audition to her being shy as she steps up for it, only to give a performance that stuns both yourself and the audience. The audience members themselves are odd, with the delayed responses and different reactions.

>I found it funny how it goes from Betty seeming unprepared for her audition to her being shy as she steps up for it, only to give a performance that stuns both yourself and the audience. The audience members themselves are odd, with the delayed responses and different reactions.

How is that in any way funny? You have a very unusual sense of humor.

Did you think you'd come off uncommonly discerning with this post? I imagine you typing that greentext with a little grin for your superior mind.

I also provided examples you completely disregarded as the pleb you probably are, but nevermind, I didn't expected you to have seen them in the first place. Only a retard would unironically argue about two words meaning exactly the same things. The fact that they can be used as synonyms doesn't mean they are literally the same, that's some mentally challenged tier thinking.
Different words and feelings are different because they express nuances and put stress on different emotions, but how would a pleb like you understand that, amirite?
Abandon this thread please, your bullshit is depressing not sad.

>he has a head canon of what other posters think while posting

He doesn't understand what lighthearted is. He's likely autistic.

There are people that crazy out there user and they have a way of finding each other

>I also provided examples you completely disregarded as the pleb you probably are
Yes, you called different things sad vs depressing as if your subjective attribution of those words is objective fact.
>Only a retard would unironically argue about two words meaning exactly the same things.
Yeah, I didn't start this argument, I'm the one maintaining the fact that synonyms are words which describe the same thing. You're waging the war to the contrary. But sure bud, I'm the retard.
>The fact that they can be used as synonyms doesn't mean they are literally the same, that's some mentally challenged tier thinking.
You're the stupidest person I've ever encountered on this site. Feel free to literally define for me, out of any dictionary, the word synonym. It literally means words that describe the same thing, and you're spewing Cheeto slobber at me like it's the most unbelievable thing. Amazing.
>Different words and feelings are different because they express nuances and put stress on different emotions, but how would a pleb like you understand that, amirite?
You really think that's why words are different? You know nothing of linguistics. Pro tip: English isn't just a language of itself that created its own words with different shadings for different emotions. Synonyms are often words with different origins that mean the same thing, and can be more appropriate for different situations. For instance, I'll say I'm angry if someone bumps into me on accident because they're looking at their phone, I'll say I'm infuriated if someone teepees my house. Different words, same meaning, used in different contexts. You have been introduced to the concept of the synonym.
>Abandon this thread please, your bullshit is depressing (not sad)
You really don't see how stupid you are? You could have literally used either word there. Jesus Christ

Yo bruh Lynch is so crazy! omg weird as it gets, gotta love it doe!

i had the same thing but with Lost Highway. also i was 13

happened to me with Eyes Wide Shut