Was Upham autistic?

Was Upham autistic?

no I'm not sure if he was an autist. I always thought he was a pussy liberal who was never saw the world for what it was and was too afraid to do what needed to be done.

tl;dr : he was a libtard bitch

>originally convinces others to Release steam boat Willy
>kraut meets up with other krauts after his release
>proceeds to kill Tom hanks and several other Americans
>upham kills him for this
>immediately after releases all the other German prisoners so they can do the exact same thing steam boat Willy just did

Yes he was

He represented how a person would probably be going into WWII from a more middle/upper class background.

Upham represents the audience.

Stephen Spielberg hates you - you specifically - and is mocking you with his film.

WERE YOU AUTISTIC??

This. He was educated but sheltered, never really had to face hardship or face an ethically challenging situation. He had an idealistic view of things because he never had to get his hands dirty before.

No, just a civvie they expected to act like a soldier.

Oh god I'm Upham aren't I? I'd like to think I would have the balls to rescue my friends though.

If you look in the background you can see some of the extras laughing. It's ridiculous because they could've easily killed Upham. One of them had a fucking STG-44

Nobody ever knows how they're going to react in a life or death situation until they're in one.

When they're walking through that field and he's muttering all of his book-learnin's and the other soldiers are making fun of him and he only really connects with the captain, I saw a lot myself in Upham.

He was meant to work at a desk for the Army. Not be a rifleman. Tom Hanks fucked up.

Pretty much these. I understand him but I certainly don't sympathize with him.

That's true, I still practice out those life-or-death scenarios in my head but I don't know if I'd ever go through with them if I were stuck (unless my direct family and friends were being threatened).

Reminder

Only people with autism couldn't tell the difference

lol

He was what Antifa will be in the upcoming Civil war; a libcuck bitch

>yfw "Upham its me! Steamboat willy!"

>be a German living in 1990s GDR
>get to play Waffen-SS in a war film
>get to kill a US soldier with a knife
>get to kill a Jew with a knife
>get to kill ADAM fucking GOLDBERG with a knife
>get to completely humiliate and dominate Jeremy Davies just by looking at him
>disappear into the chaos of war like a ghost

How can one man be so lucky?

Wait really?
Fuck that actually makes the dude on the right even spookier.

Didn't the GDR disband years before Saving Private Ryan was filmed?
Still must have been nice to have some filmatic freedom after living under communist rule.

>ywn be raped and have your head shaved for fugging the entire Waffen SS

>girlfriend wants to roleplay Soviet occupation of Berlin

>finally an excuse to wear my NKVD uniform

The one thing that gets me the most about Mellish's death scene is the part where he knew he was about to get stabbed and started begging. Begging to a man who had probably never spoke a word of English in his life. Mellish probably knew that too but begging was the only option he had left. But even though the German soilder couldn't understand him he knew that what he was hearing in that moment were pleas from a deadman and hushed him as if he were putting a baby to sleep while gliding the blade into his chest.

>tfw you realize the exact same scenario has happened to thousands of men throughout history

>meet german girl
>have sex couple times
>try to house train her
>tells me she's different from other women
>says she doesn't have emotion

looks like it checks out fellas

>thousands
try millions, or even billions.

I mean, the movie was pretty much all about pissing all over the idea of "war glory"
The movie opened with American soldiers getting chewed up by machine guns before even stepping onto the beach. More than once in the movie, a soldier cries out for their mother before dying. A hapless soldier gets blown apart by his own grenade before he could fix it to an enemy tank. The movie wanted to show what war was like outside of Hollywood. No clean, heroic deaths. People getting blown apart, shot in the throat and slowly choking on their own blood, soldiers pleading for mercy, or being straight-up mind-broken by the horrors of war when Hollywood would normally have them charge gloriously against the enemy.

That's what always gets me and why I think he spared Upham, not necessarily because he just thought he was a pussy but he just didn't feel like killing anymore for that brief moment.

Probably millions given the more gradual increase in human population until just a few hundred years ago. But yeah, it's something that happened to a lot of people. Especially prior to firearms.

It still bookends its story with schmalzy Hallmark bullshit though, so it feels like a bullshit hollywood war film

Didn't know the difference between wehrmacht and Waffen SS when i was a kid

That soldier on the beach that picked up his own arm and just started walking around with it...

>those soilders who drowned due to their own equipment

>the guys who get roasted alive from the explosion on the boat and from the flamethrower blowing up
I can't tell if drowning or burning up would be worse.

Big studios won't bankroll a war movie without some kind of "noble sacrifice" theme because they're afraid that a movie that is just unapologetic about how awful war is will make audiences uncomfortable and they won't make their money back.

>convinces his captain to not murder a PoW in a situation clearly against the Geneva Convention
>pussies out when his friend is getting stabbed to death
>after taking the rest of the German soldiers prisoner he immediately murders Willie even though he did no worse than any of the other soldiers
What the fuck did he want from him? To flee from his own rescue and refuse orders to go take this town that he had no idea Upham and his buddies were at? Willie not being the SS soldier is even worse because if he was at least Upham would have more of a motive killing him, as is, he just kills him because he's a soldier he save previously. The movie even makes it look justified instead of it being a coward blatantly murdering someone he saved.

lol this movie was all about glory, never once did it show germans suffer, they never make a sound.

meanwhile americans are crying and getting arms blown off.

Maybe put your phone down and actually pay attention to the movie next time. they show American soldiers murdering surrendering Germans while they say they were drafted and forced to fight. And literally the scene before that one the Americans corner 20 Germans in a trench and kill them all while you can hear them screaming. Then the Jew finds a Hitler youth knife, which shows that the people they just slaughtered were just a bunch of brainwashed kids.

upham is (you)

Those "I washed my hands for dinner" Germans were actually Czechs, speaking to the Americans in Czech, trying to convince the Americans they were conscripted against their will.