So then how the hell are you suppose to make a Maui costume that isn't just kids running around in grass skirts?

So then how the hell are you suppose to make a Maui costume that isn't just kids running around in grass skirts?

If I was Disney I would have lowered the prices to sell more. Thus pissing off all of the SJWs and making more money.

Cheap plastic mask and a t-shirt with a picture of Maui and the word "MAUI" on.

Redpill me Sup Forums.

Has PC culture officially grown out of control?What the fuck is up with "oohie, owie, muh feelings, muh culture" shit?

Back in my day, da 90's, we didn't give as much of a shit. If you could be sensitive, you can be thick skinned too.

that argument still isn't enought for them to get away with this shit

Wouldn't a mask just be the same problem of "putting on black face" the same way this is "putting on brown skin"?

I don't know where the line is being drawn anymore.

Just like Maui all the time wears!

These are real living people with brains just like yours and mine.

I feel like no one had a problem with this until one person suggested it was racist and a bunch of sensitive people suddenly "saw the light" and jumped on the bandwagon of that train of thought.

I don't think you were alive in the 90's.

I think they should have used a design like this in the movie.

In defense of this, I can see why it was pulled. Probably would've been a better idea to have a transparent costume with the tattoos and accessories.

Then again, you'd most likely get a rash.

Now what am I gonna have to do to get Halloween pictures of little girls in grass skirts?

Are you sure you can see why this was pulled? Or has the PC craze just gone on so long, you're starting to see -ists where they don't exist because you consider that the norm now?

I remember the American Crash Dummies special. I had the Batman toys where you had to clip the goddamn cape on his neck. I watched PSA messages with my shows, They don't even TRY to do that shit no more, and that's bull!

>Back in my day, da 90's, we didn't give as much of a shit.
Then you were probably a fucking child at the time because PC shit was a huge problem then too. It's just what was considered "PC" back in the 90s is now the norm while the stuff that's considered "PC" now won't be the norm for another 20 years.

Yeah, because this looks way less offensive

No, I always thought those costumes were dumb. Why dress up as another human being? You're not going to comicon, you're going trick-r-treating. Dress up as a monster or something.

Anyways, stop assuming everything you don't like is some PC-plot.

I have a feeling that Disney won't be able to make merchandise off of this movie at all, atleast when it comes to costumes.

>My opinion on these costumes influences the discussion on why I think the Maui costume is offensive and the others are not

Sorry, thought I was having a debate with someone rational.

>what is historical context
I mean, I don't give a shit about this, but, you know... brown/black/yellowface exists, whiteface doesn't except for clowns. Acting like you have no idea why SJWs freak out over this just makes you look like a dumbass.

The SJWs have actually got your back on this one. Because the only way the kids gonna be able to dress up as a character from the movie now is if they make a real grass skirt themselves.

If that's the case, then any mask with human skin color should be fucking banned.

Defending this whiny behavior of "People wearing cartoon Maui costumes are appropriating my culture" makes you look like a thin-skinned idiot.

>Then you were probably a fucking child at the time

I'll give you that one (because it's true). I just feel that people are becoming more sensitive than they really ought to. When does it become too much?

>controversial
How?

i wonder if someone should try to start a boycott against the movie itself
>my skincolor is not a movie

Because it offends people who have poured their life savings into body-covering tattoos.

The skin on the costume is dark. So if a white person wears it they are basically torching a village of starving Africans with their vicious racism.

Dressing up as a race or "culture" that isn't yours is "racist" or "cultural appropriation" to idiots with too much time on their hands. Guess that also means that anyone who isn't white can't wear a Donald Trump Halloween mask because it's "racist".

Fucking kids just want to dress up as their favorite characters from the Disney movie the watched. I wish people would just fucking grow up and stop being so divisive.

This.

It's offensive to cheapen a peoples culture and beliefs by making a costume out of it. But it's OK for Disney to turn it into a cartoon

Just make it see-through like tattoo sleeves. "Problem" solved.

Brown, black, yellow, redface etc. are caricatures of races. This isn't a caricature of a race, it's a cartoon character and that's how kids see it. Unless you consider the Maui character himself a caricature of Polynesian men, which some people surprisingly do, but a very small sect.

There is a difference between putting on a sombrero and saying, "I'm going as a Mexican for Halloween" and putting on this costume and saying, "I'm Maui, from Disney's Moana movie". One is "going as a race", the other is "going as a person/character". The latter just happens to be a certain race, but isn't the whole point of equality to look past that shit so that anyone can dress up as shit so a black girl can be Ariel if she wants a white kid can be Maui if he wants?

White kids running around wearing brown skin as a costume.

This is the problem when your character is almost all tattoos.
Even if you changed the color then people will bitch about white washing.

This costume should of never been made,but I know they were trying to sell at boys with this movie.

>Guess that also means that anyone who isn't white can't wear a Donald Trump Halloween mask because it's "racist".

But then again, I can already see them rationalize that "it's okay for blacks to dress as Trump ironically, because he's racist, so he deserves it!", as if two wrongs made a right.

I wonder if this can get even worse in the next 50 years
Will I burn at the stake if I don't pay enough privilege fee when I'm 80?

The implication is that kids should take full-body tattoos.

How about you simply stop being a racist?

People say that the political scene is like a pendulum. That it keeps swinging back and forth from extreme left to extreme right, etc. If that's true, then I'd say that the pendulum has already started swinging back. What with Trump being elected, and an ever growing crowd of people getting sick of left extremism.
Unfortunately, things never get to stay in the middle between both extremes for too long.

It's not racist

It's not so much a change of people, but a change of platform.

Literally anything can gain steam in seconds with social media and the internet, and the lack of borders between like-minded people increases the volume and just adds to the voice.

It's not so much that people are becoming more inherently sensitive, but that they have the ability to push their ideals farther because there's more like-minded people who will share their thoughts.

Really, the biggest reason is confidence above all else.

It seems like the farther we get into technology, the more bat-shit crazy we get.

The crazy was inside people all along, the internet just makes it easier to find and share.

Furries and shit have been around since the egyptians, but they could never find each other until modern day. Sick bastards will find their own.

After all, isn't that why all of us are here...?

Crazy people are find. It's when the internet destroys the news industry and they're forced to make clickbait articles to get revenue because no one will buy a newspaper anymore which is the problem. Shit like this gains traction because news sites pick and choose from a handful of crazy people then labels it as "social media outrage".

Ok, could somebody explain to me what's supposed to be "controversial" in this costume? I honestly have no idea what offended people this time.

there are no masks with white skin....

And yet they still sell Thor costumes
CULTURAL APPROPRIATION

>I just feel that people are becoming more sensitive than they really ought to.
That's just because you're a fucking newfag, both to life and Sup Forums.

implying this arab girl is white
she's brown as well...

And? If the criteria for who can wear the mask is that they must be brown in skin, not black in race, then just throw the whole SJW movement out the window because that's insensitive as fuck.

>Black bolt in tactical inspired gear
This just looks wrong.

Those tattoos are sacred and religious in nature and not something that people should wear flippantly. It would be okay if it was just the padded muscles without the tattoos like a sumo outfit costume.

>It would be okay if the costume looked nothing like the character it was trying to portray.
You have to go back.

Stupid question: Why?

I don't even understand why blackface is so bad

how the fuck are you supposed to dress up as a famous black guy?

Kids should get real tattoos for Halloween, clearly.

Hang on, isn't by saying "we don't think white kids should wear brown skin costume" saying white kids shouldn't look up to non-white heroes and so vice versa?

How is this not saying "you can't like non-white characters?"

Political correctness is not about making sense, it's about avoiding controversy. Which requires less intellect.

If you tell these same people that Nordic gods shouldn't be played by blacks and asians they'll throw a conniption fit.

Progressivism is blatantly segregationist though what with safe spaces and the like.

They should have just made it translucent fleshy tan in some way. Would have solved the problem methinks.

>isn't by saying "we don't think white kids should wear brown skin costume" saying white kids shouldn't look up to non-white heroes

No. Because there's a difference between dressing up as a brown hero and dressing up in brown skin. Black kids don't have to paint themselves white to dress up as Superman, they just wear the costume. It's harder to do that with Maui admittedly but that's more a failure of the character design not PC culture gone mad!

I'm not expert (and probably got the specific country/ethnicity wrong) but the tattoos are generally sacred to samoans and have to be earned unless you're blackout drunk during a vacation.
It's a bit difficult to invent an proper equivalent to explain but generally the costume probably is roughly the equivalent of plastering ten billion jew stars, crosses, stigmata and so forth on a priest/nun outfit (holy water sprinklers are entirely optional) with badly translated bible passages in engrish blasting through your toy popemobile for the sake of making some chinese dudes a bunch of money. And we all know that one of the only things that makes Jesus start flipping tables is commercializing religion.

Maui Costume: Made with 100% real Polynesian skin

Is it just me, or all of the people complaining are white?

wouldn't it be just as offensive then to have it on a fiction character?

Maui's not just a fictional character, he's a cultural folk hero. Think a Polynesian Hercules

No idea but there is a bit of a difference between some people "drawing" Maui for a story which gets sold on and a shilling Maui directly for cash. It's a bit of a fine line.
To try and make the christian equivalent.
One is telling a story about Jesus which will also make money. Another is selling Jesus costumes to kids who know nothing about him nor care explicitly to make a buck.

Plus Samoans have expressed problems with companies directly shilling their sacred tattoos for money before so this is an entirely foreseeable problem.

This is proof that SJW's are literally retarded. They can't understand the difference between racist blackface sterotypes and 5 year old kids wanting to dress up like that kickass Polynesian demigod character (voiced by that former wrestler everyone loves) that they saw in a kids movie.

Maybe like a month or so ago there was this story about some kid who got in trouble because he wrote a report on MLK Jr. and dressed up for the presentation. This poor kid idolized MLK, and people were calling him a racist because he put on brown makeup. How would anyone get that he's MLK if he just wears a suit?

SJW's will fight tooth and nail to defend the right of black kids to dress like a white Disney princesses, but have a meltdown anytime white kids want to respectfully emulate non-white characters, because that contravenes their victim complex.

>a t-shirt with a picture of Maui
No it's a poncho of Maui and the cast of characters. Did you even into shitty kid costumes as a kid?

>Another is selling Jesus costumes to kids who know nothing about him nor care explicitly to make a buck.
Like selling jesus action figures?

>Another is selling Jesus costumes to kids who know nothing about him nor care explicitly to make a buck.
You mean like Thor?

Like some godless pagans selling Jesus action figures.

Prettymuch.

>This costume should of never been made
And then people would complain that you can buy costumes for every other Disney character and excluding him is also racist.

>Jesus
>God's Son

Oh good, I was concerned that this may have been some other Jesus.

>insert "I was wondering why my gardener had an action figure" joke here

Id guess When youre 40.

Im about 30 now and im just about fucking with you lil youthful shitfaces getting your muddy feet all over my fandoms

>Furries and shit have been around since the egyptians

More like since the caves

SJWs are retarded like always. The only reason Maui is a full body costume is because of his tattoos. Jared Leto's Joker from suicide squad had a similar costume because of his tattoos, is that also racist against albinos now?

You know when Redditors and Tumblrites steal memes and then they become normie memes? Like what almost happened to Pepe.

That's what cultural appropriation is.

PC has always been nothing more than a tool to deny opposition a platform to speak. it's always been a cancer.

>my culture is not a costume
>whenever my culture comes up its always stereotypes, traditional clothing and shit
>costumes for halloween or w/e based on those traditional clothes
>nobody gets mad
brown people amirite

>WHY ARE THEY SAYING BLACK FACE IS RACIST REEEEEEEEE
You kids need to grow up
but those blacks and and asians aren't painting themselves white to play the role now are they, you doofus?

>any depiction of white people painting themselves a different colour is automatically connected to american minstrel shows.

you are the reason the international community is trying to kill of a century old tradition in my country.

fuck you.

meanwhile, in the carribeans

Don't know the context of what's happening in your country and I don't really care as it doesn't make blackface less racist.

blackface is specifically an american entity and has a very distinct look

historic depictions like this has existed for centuries. people painting themselves as other races isnt nessecarily meant as a negative thing.

That just looks racist as fuck dog, what's it even supposed to depict?

thats the Black Heads order, dedicated to Saint Mauritius. A black saint.

you fucking bigot

>complaining about the Disney merchandise being racist.

Wow, I'm sure that will inspire Disney to make more black characters.

Ooo. Ha, reading the thread I see that it was pulled because the skin tone. That didn't even cross my mind that it would be a majority of white and Hispanic kids wearing it. In my little brain I thought it was cause people were mad that they were not respecting the ideals behind the tattoos, as it was a tribal passage thing, and you can't just get them for fun.

>What am I becoming.

I said it looked racist. I had no context. in that case, it's not blackface and relates in no way to the topic at hand. I love when Sup Forumstards try the "Y-y-you were really racist the whole time" shtick because it highlights that they clearly understand that they're wrong and are trying their damnedest to make other people wrong with you.

>gosh now they'll be less inclined to be racist. you blew it guys
Also the cast of moana aren't black you twit.

Of course they're going to make less controversial characters in the future so they can keep selling all that princess merchandise shit. Are you fucking retarded?

no duh you twit. that was the point.

you were ready to condemn a historic depiction of black people because youre to up your own ass with american culture.

blackface is racist, sure. But painting yourself black or having exaggerated stereotypes of people isnt.

>blackface is racist, sure. But painting yourself black or having exaggerated stereotypes of people isnt
>blackface is racist, sure. but literally the definition of blackface isn't
Seriously user?

Stop baiting.

The fact that you think Americans invented painting up as a different race and that you think their version of blackface is the universal and historical version of what people have done for centuries shows how narrow you are in scope of the rest of the world and its history and in fact how ignorant you are and how much you think America dominates every atom of the world.

Question
Why DOES blackface ass-blast people so?
What is it about facepaint that whips the politically sensitive into a fury?