What the hell happened to this show? It started out as a grounded, near-future show about space politics...

What the hell happened to this show? It started out as a grounded, near-future show about space politics, then in Season 2 it's just 'aliens lmao'
Never seen another show start out so well then lose my interest so quickly.
Even GoT took several seasons to phase out the politics before getting shit.
Miller was the only good part of Season 2, but as great as his death scene with Julie was, after he died I cba to watch anymore

So you would rather the show drag things out over 8 years? I think the pacing of the show is just fine.

I would rather they focus on the interactions between Earth, Mars, the OPA and the other factions instead of introducing aliens and becoming yet another boring, tensionless space fantasy

The Expanse is just another series where the stakes are ramped up, and up, and up, and up non stop with no conclusion to any events. This is the flow of most TV anymore and my god it's blue balls inducing.

It was never good, even before it jumped the shark with season 2.

Yeah I've noticed that recently. Shows like GoT, Westworld and now The Expanse start out with interesting mysteries and intrigue, then as the show continues and they have an established viewerbase they write out all the interesting stuff and go with an easier plot, like humans vs aliens, or humans vs robots, or humans vs ice zombies.
I guess it's easier to write good vs bad stories than politics so they just go with that as soon as they think the viewers are invested enough to not leave.

Just wait. Season three will be about how the scramble to monopolize/perfect alien "tech" affects politics and intrigue between the factions. I have high hopes for it.

I don't, sounds like its going to be more of Nothing major will get resolved unless the series is on the chopping block and the writers are given a session to wrap shit up hastily and messy. Just like with all other TV shows.

You can't call it a story arc if it never get to said second half of the arc.

Meh I thought they had a chance to do that after Miller and Julie flew Ares into Venus, I've just finished the episode where the Martian bitch sees an alien at the end and I don't care anymore

The problem is that the source material (the books) steadily get worse and worse and go towards this MUH ALIENS plot. This sucks because the series can be good, the best part of the series (book 3 imo) has the alien stuff as a backdrop to the real plot of a coup on a ship.

Legitimate spoiler: They enter an alien teleporter in book 3 and land on an alien station.
In book 4 they find 1000 alien solar systems and land on one. They talk to GHOST-Miller,
who is part alien and use an alien computer.

I hear in the future there will be a legitimate alive alien that the characters meet.

>Cibola Burn

did ANYBODY in the world like that shit story?
Even reddit hated it

Christ that sounds awful

the show actually does more mars/earth politics than what's in the books. avasarala wasn't even a character in the first book

Ghost miller can only be seen by Holden,
because holden has a single protomolecule atom inside his brain or something. Ghost Miller is not a ghost though, he actually interacts with the alien station and computers so he must exist, he just disappears when anybody other than holden is around, and cannot be recorded by video??

In book 4 an alien bacteria makes everyone blind on the planet, HOWEVER holden is somehow immune. A scientist falls in love with holden, she is one of 3 pov characters, a third of the book is this high school tier crush that just ends when she fucks another scientist.

BIG SPOILER FOR BOOK 5
Naomi has a kid, that kid is 17, that Kid, Naomi's ex-boyfriend and a few other terrorists shoot asteroids at earth killing tens of billions and leaving the planet uninhabitable.
This basically means everyone will have to move to the thousand worlds that were opened at the end of book 3, Solar System politics plot has literally been shit on, with all 3 main governments coming together to fight this OPA terrorist branch called "The Free Navy" who bombed earth and somehow stole the protomolecule sample from tycho station.

Book 5 made me drop the series

book 5 was a disaster. book 6 was better though, the amos chapters were good and clarissa is my waifu. if they do her right she should be a good character next season

Huh I didn't know that, I guess I just assumed it was a GoT scenario where the show writers wanted to dumb it down.
Wish I'd never even started this show now, had me so hyped up for a real sci-fi only to crush my soul even harder when it turned into more star wars-esqe garbage
I don't suppose anyone knows any shows/movies similar to the Expanse season 1?

SpikeTV is making a red mars TV show, there have been many problems but when it is finished it'll be the best scifi show ever made.

>Ghost Miller is not a ghost though, he actually interacts with the alien station and computers so he must exist

He's literally revealed to be a merged consciousness with the protomolecule mass and as such is able to influence it without physical existence.

Is this bait?
Expanse and GOT literally started with white walkers/space alien virus. They are presented as the final boss at the opening scene.
Westworld was about robots revolting. It was rewritten to ponder the nature of consciousness and self-determination.
GOT gave us a medieval political power struggle and petered out when they ran out of fat fuck books and just resorted to Hollywood shitty plot lines.
The expanse is trying too hard to be got. Considering it's written by fat fuck's secretary, not too surprising. The books are better paced. No fucking refugee subplots.

If Anna isn't your PoVwaifu you can get the heck OUT

I was good when it still had characters the audience cared about in different settings (on the ship, on earth, on the belters station, etc). They jumped the shark when they put Miller and the crew together and added a bunch of shitty Martian characters nobody cares about, only to kill them off and put the only survivor on earth to ruin that plot as well.

nah they didn't really dumb the books down. book 5 is the book with the most internal opa political stuff, and it was terrible. if you think of this series as more of a space adventure story about a tight knit crew rather than some elaborate political thing you'll probably enjoy it more.

juliet from lost is playing her next season. her tiddies might make up for how shit anna is as a character

Name one well written character in this series

Hardmode: dont say miller

Sounds pretty good any word on the release date?

clarissa the best girl mao

>Martian marines
I'm baffled by this one too. They serve no purpose. Not in the books neither. THICC marine is introduced at the start as a survivor of the attack.

When I heard about it late 2016 I thought it was a late 2017/early 2018 release. But I think it's been delayed a year

I was looking forward to seeing more of Mars but all we got was those assholes

>Good female character
>The authors fucking ruin them

WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THIS IT'S REALLY ANNOYING I HATE THEM SO MUCH

If the books are any indication, and so far they have been, the show ought to go back to system politicking after the ayylium goo runs its course and changes shit up. It introduces a massive paradigm shift by, massive spoiler alert MASSIVE SPOILER creating a wormhole, which shifts the power dynamics of the whole system immensely and essentially flips the table. You'll see plenty more intrigue, trust me

No, you mongoloid. He's the protomolecule simulating Miller's brain, its outputs on a simulated Miller's body and projecting it directly into Holden's brain. It's essentially a supercomputer running a brain simulation as a subroutine. It's conscious by virtue of being a 1 to 1 replica of a human mind, but it's started up and terminated as needed since it's running in an application.