Should I watch Mad-Men?

Should I watch Mad-Men?

Only really interested because of the late 50s/60s America. Is it good?

>Is it good?
Yes
>interested because of the late 50s/60s America
Then definitely yes

It's a bit anachronistic at times. They reference cell phones several times, for example

Examples?

>the most genuinely autistic post I will see on Sup Forums all day

Really? I doubt this.

Yeah it's good, especially after the first two seasons.

If you enjoy cigarettes yes

LOL this is absolutely untrue.

Watch it. IMO the best series ever produced.

I laughed

Yeah it is. You may come for the time period, but you'll stay for the genuinely great characters. Also this make sure not to drop it before the third season, b/c that's when it really finds its tempo.

is this the same fucking guy that asks every fucking day if he should watch Mad Men?

well, should he?

just go with what the last thousand replies said

Yes, the scene where Don picks up a girl through tinder was questionable

Not if you're trying to quit smoking

Should probably avoid any period piece in that case

Or drinking.

>Not if you're trying to quit smoking
...or drinking. Regardless, it's one of the best television drama/period pieces created.

*attempts to grope (You)*

You wont regret it. Its a great show.

I'll concede the episode where Pete gets a jetpack was a little "out there"

I noticed this, its kinda weird when they would go so deep into being right about the as to make it rain on a certain day like it did in the 60's, but then just make Don hop on his laptop and facetime with some hooker.

Remember when Don meant to send Betty a dick pic on snapchat, but he sent it to Pete instead?

Okay, okay.. Joan's cordless wand massager was a little "out there", but mostly it was true to the times.

honest truth, I watched every single episode of this show and for some reason did not watch the last one... I really don't care either... The last season was so dry that i just finally realized i didn't care what happened to any of them, not even a little bit... they were all just selfish rich cunts and Don had a troubled yet hazy background whoopty-do??!! its not worth wasting your time on

>its not worth wasting your time on
t. actual pleb

just another thought here... can anyone really explain to me the goal of this series other than to show that people were scandalous and cigarettes had advertisements at one point? I am truly asking what the point is bc i really wanted to have this shit mean something till i finally gave up on it... I didn't care much for Don bc he really was just a shitty dude.. bad dad, bad husband to every wife he had, bad friend who bags friends wives behind their back, bad brother, bad boss, i could go on and on..... he was good at selling jingles and feelings... why was this relevant?

can you please answer for me?

I really do want an explanation

This is an analysis an user posted a while ago:
>He had creative talent, but was a weak man. He had no self-worth, all of his actions were to please the expectations of others he thought they have upon him. His whole persona was a marketing gag. The show is great because we at the beginning of the shows see only the "Advertisement of the Alpha-Male", as the story progresses we see that front he built for himself, more and more crumbling due to the weakness of the man behind it.

he was an alcoholic, a hypocrite with both turning his back on advertising cigarettes only bc they left him first and the thing joan did to become parter he had some moral objection to it while he's out there fuckin who he wants when he wants but big tithed joan can't get a necklace and a raise for taking one for the team and your benefit too?? only thinks of himself at all times.... has no redeeming qualities, just a boozer with a boner and a smile

>goal of this series
to tell a story like most other fictitious television shows. you invested allegedly a lot of time into the series to where you watched "every single episode", and if you didn't find something about the show to mean something to you after watching all of that, then there's nothing I can say that can change that.

in s03e02 the argument about the iPhone 7's headphone jack was a bit on the nose

wow, actually not bad... best I've heard for this show... thank you for this but i still don't think it needed like 6 seasons to do this, it could've had better pacing and such... I kinda get what you're saying and it makes me think of one scene when Peggy leaves and he gets offended like nobody should wish to not work with the mighty Don Draper and then he throws bills at her like all she is about is cash and then when he sees this mighty Don persona isn't working, he gives in and kisses her hand or something and wishes her well... hmmmm.....

see
it made me think... and then i said so idk, i kinda see it now

The series makes the most sense when you stand Don next to Pete. Pete pretty much had everything, a good education, a good job, a family, etc. But he didn't appreciate it because he was always envious of Office Alpha Don. But by the end of the show it's revealed that Don's a drunken, lying shithead and Pete's life becomes better the more he appreciates all he actually has.
Don is the hollow advertisement promising happiness and Pete is the consumer that falls for it, initially anyway.
There's also a lot of other stuff about family baggage and shattered expectations, but it's mostly about how we're always ignoring what we have for what we think we want.

You can't really compare them, they're different ages, jobs and everything. Pete is a great character though overlooked 'cause he's so offputting and a nerd.

Its the kind of show you'll get more out of if you watch it when you're 35

I'm not comparing them, I'm saying their relationship defines one of the central themes of the show.

>You can't compare different things

He's clearly mentally retarded. Leave him be.

I mean they're not contrasting characters and it makes little critical sense. You may as well compare roger's wife with betty.

>it makes little critical sense
im starting to think is right..

The show is clearly an inspiration of a deep character examination show like the sopranos. The only problem is it isn't nearly as cleverly thought out or creatively presented as the sopranos as it wants to make you believe. Although very enjoyable, I see it as much more of just aesthetics attributed to the setting. The 'Genius' of the show is highly overrated, especially so when you break down some of the individual episodes forgettable stories.

whys that

>I'm saying their relationship defines one of the central themes of the show

Actually you didn't say that

>being a smart ass because you're too much of a brainlet to discuss something
It's almost like when people use the phrase "I'm saying", it's used to sum up what their point is.

Mad Men plays a lot like the minimalist realist american writers of 50s - 80s, Carver, Cheever, Yates, etc. There was no underlined deep message with them either.

Hey I'm open to discussion, everyone's telling me I'm insane but can't articulate why.

The movie Collateral has two main guys and the writer's obviously written them as contrasting characters to invite comparison, and it becomes important to the plot and themes.

Mad Men isn't written as the Pete and Don show is all I was saying.

dude you type like a fucking retard, holy shit

I was thrown off by that, too.

You could argue its the Peggy show. The first episode starts with her first day on the job right?

>Mad Men isn't written as the Pete and Don show
What's your point?

I have two episodes left but I haven't finished Mad Men. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I like to imagine all of these shops placing Paulie's "watch it, Chrissy" hand over other people are the work of one very dedicated individual. There are always ones popping up that I haven't seen before

Overrated boring shit

Don's son playing PlayStation was a little immersion breaking

Even worse was that episode where they went on vacation and Don was checking his email on his iphone on the beach in Hawaii, they didn't even have that shit until like the mid-80s.

You are such a special snowflake user, wow.

It's one of those shows I can pick up and rewatch an episode at any point and will most likely enjoy it