Top Ten November 23, 2016 Comics from Five of Rich the Leech's Retailer Friends

>Looks like Marvel was right to expect much from the Venom launch – though it still gets beaten by the Bat and the Flash. The story seems to be that Marvel only gets traction with launches, central event titles (though Death Of X is notably missing) and… Star Wars. The run of the mill, day to day,

>The run of the mill, day to day, jobsworthy superhero titles that used to be Marvel’s forte are systematically being beaten by those of DC Comics, post-Rebirth. Will that change any time soon?
> 1. Detective Comics #945
> 2. Civil War II #7
> 3. Flash #11
> 4. Venom #1
> 5. Action Comics #968
> 6. Wonder Woman #11
> 7. Titans #5
> 8. Star Wars #25
> 9. Harley Quinn #8
> 10. Teen Titans #2

>Thanks to the following retailers:
>Dr. No’s Comics & Games Superstore of Marietta, Georgia
>Jesse James Comics of Glendale, Arizona
>Issues Needed Comics, Apple Valley, Minnesota
>Famous Faces & Funnies of West Melbourne, Florida.
>>Rodman Comics of Ankeny, Iowa
>Who had this to say:

>It’s a lighter week than usual with a rare day off for Thanksgiving, and not too giant of a week of comics to begin with. As usual, DC decimates even with the secondary titles like Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Action, Flash, Hal Jordan, Teen Titans & Batgirl all beating out Civil War 7 at FFF, which is our highest Marvel title in eighth place. Batman Beyond and Titans fill out our top ten narrowly edging out AD: After Death, which is a tough one to figure out how it would sell with the odd size and heavy price tag, although it does have some serious talent involved. So far, Harley & Deathstroke beat out Venom 1 (our 14th book this week), which has been well received by those that read it, but early sales have it at about a third of our Detective and Wonder Woman sales in just the first few days, but I expect Venom to have some serious legs on it.

>Black Monday Murders ties Death of X and Han Solo as our 15th bestsellers this week. This doesn’t bode well for IvX, although I appreciate Marvel shipping retailers a 50% overship on the zero issue next week, since they believe in the title and the $4.99 price tag more than we do. While I am always thankful for free copies to sell, use to give away to promote or whatever, Marvel really has to do something to reach out to a new audience, since actual sell through on these new books is at an all time low, while the rest of the industry seems to be in sold shape. Most Marvel books have seen a major dropoff of 20% to 30% on total sales or total subs these last few months and they have to find a way to course correct that. We are still selling over 100 copies of Saga, Walking Dead, Paper Girls, Batman and other books every month, so it’s not like we don’t have a healthy amount of customers. Some weeks, I sell more Walking Dead TPBs than Uncanny X-Men or Avengers comics, in those comics first week of release! Ouch. Great for Walking Dead, scary for Marvel.

>When Batgirl 5 is outselling your big summer event, Civil War 7 in my store, you need to make some serious changes to your content, your pricing and your marketing. DC brought a ton of new readers in with Rebirth and they’re still coming in every week at issue 11. Why can’t Marvel put out some TV commercials or social media outreach to do the same? There are several recent Marvel books we ordered 40 or 50 first issues of, and we’re not even selling double digit amounts on. The interest just isn’t there on a lot of these new characters, who can’t support their own books. I wish Marvel would get back to “less books, better books” where we could get their major titles to higher numbers again, but they’re losing long time customers left and right, and I don’t know if there’s anything they can do to get them back on the current path they’re on.

>We are STILL moving lots of Walking Dead, including several covers of #100, lots of 1990’s Uncanny X-Men, Amazing, Batman and even some Teen Titans. Sold a little bit of Suicide Squad, Preacher and Y: The Last Man this week, as talk of a FX Y show gets closer. We have our Small Business Saturday event this week, so it will be interesting to see what back issues we move while they’re all on sale.

>For the first time since we have been reporting our top ten Marvel beat DC and took the two top spots with Civil War II and Venom! Which just proves that consumers love Events and Number 1’s so expect this to be part of our culture for a very long time!

>Marvel places three book in the Top Ten this week–how long has it been since that happened in our store? Venom seems to be the surprise hit, joining The Unworthy Thor in that very small group of Marvel Now relaunches that readers are truly excited about.

>We’ve seen a pickup in interest in Thor and Captain America back issues–the Don Blake Thor and the Steve Rogers Captain America, that is.

>Sadly this list will not mean much thanks to Thanksgiving. Lots of regulars out of town for Thanksgiving for the week throwing off the numbers. Frank Cho on Harley Quinn covers though? Pure gold. Sold out of them on Wednesday. Another surprise was Action Comics selling out on Wednesday. Civil War II issue 7 clocked in for fourth but again with Thanksgiving it doesn’t mean to much. We had more sales on Friday than we did on Wednesday. Now next week things should be back to “normal”.

>> 1. Detective Comics #945
One with Batman breaking his OWN DAMN BACK or Catwoman domming Ventriloquist?

Rich the Leech misattributed the retailer's commentary to Rodman Comics. It should be by Famous Faces & Funnies (FFF).

Seeing the October sells report proved to me that no one should be take these stores seriously.

The mess that called CW is on Top 10 best sellers every month and a lot of DC books have been dropping. Even Batman.

DC never dropped. Champions and escape from NY just got third party pushes.

>escape from NY
That's BOOM!'s second attempt at that kind of push.

that's Batman you dunce.

Or the other way around, you have to realize big shops like Midtown order a pretty significant amount of most Marvel because of Incentive Variants.

Also
>Tons of new releases
>DC literally has nothing
>Barely 1.5% Unit Share Difference
lmao

>9. Harley Quinn #8

It isn't surprising after what happened in that issue, I guess we'll see how it did in the real charts

>DC never dropped
They unfortunately did. Batman is selling less than Snyder's N52 run.

This """report""" is complete junk.

Thanks for your opinion, because only a few stores are represented.

And Superman, Deathstroke, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Flash, and Green Arrow are selling more than their previous runs.

>the Don Blake Thor
I appreciate that that's how he refers to him.

In a light week for DC, still Rebirth continues strong with 7 titles at Top 10, 5 months after the relaunch! And the secondary Batman title still beat Civil Crap II.

Watching though this abomination called Civil War II so high gives few hopes that Marvel will ever change.

>Teen Titans doing somewhat better

Whew.

It was on Bleedingcool top 10 weekly list last month too and it was higher than this. So, I really don't think TT is doing better.

>Deathstroke, Nightwing
These two keep falling big every month and will probably settle around N52 sells sooner or later.

Venom's going to drop like a stone with issue 2 right?

Civil War is on top 10 list every month, user. It's still selling big.

Probably. Crossover with Spider-Man and Deadpool when?

tim pls you are dead

>damifag is here
Guaranteed replies

I wonder if DC going to replace him if his run went under 100k.

Tim Drake stans live in a natural state of salt.

Tim fans get salty towards Damian.

Damian fans get salty at Duke.

Jason fans get salty at any character who beats him up (basically the whole Batfamily)

Shut up dickfan, you aren't really any better than them.

>Ciwil talks that high
>Venom MUH EDGE that high
Fucking disgusting

Shut up Brucefag, Dick is better Batman.

>Dick is better Batman
In your dreams only. Dick is nothing, but a fan service character while Bruce Wayne is icon.

>basically the whole Batfamily
When did the whole Batfamily beat Jason?

And honestly, they only time when they got real salty when someone beaten him was when Damian did it and it was stupid moment anyway.

Rebirth WW #8 and #9 sold about 7-10k more than New 52 WW #4 (I'm counting 4th month of New 52 and 4th month of Rebirth) even though Rebirth Wonder Woman debuted 30k ahead of New 52 Wonder Woman

Of course the real win for DC is shipping double with those numbers, so overall they sell a lot more than a bunch of high sellers + a whole lot more of low sellers

Probably because King's run is worse so far.

Double shipping is such an absolute genius move and I expect to see just about every other "Big Name" book follow from Marvel-- your Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man and Deadpool, that is.

I think one of the big problems with getting normies to buy comics is that they finish an issue and go "wow I can't wait to see what happens next!" but then a month goes by and they forget they were even reading it. Like Didio said, they're competing with all of these other forms of entertainment that are at peoples' fingertips all the time.

So not only does this get readers back in the store more often, thus continuing to think about comics, but it makes trades come out faster and more often which is where sales are going to continue to trend towards.

And the best part is there can still be the more niche fanfavorite books coming out monthly because the people who buy those have already proven their willingness to wait a month or more. So having your heavyweights coming out faster doesn't compromise the quality of the books we care more about.

Though paradoxically the double shipping books seem to be the best ones right now.

I'd like to add this btw
>Muh consistent art
Oh for god's sake if the book had a decent colorist and inkers it'd manage to keep some sense of consistency in it's art.

Just hire thirty Brazilians. They can't be that expensive.

I'm really enjoying reading DC biggest books twice a month, but I can't deny that double shipping books are really suffering in both writing and art because of it.

And funny enough, the monthly books that I wasn't expecting to love like RHATO, NSM and Trinity end up being my favorite out of all rebirth books.

Marvel doubleshipped (and triple-shipped from BND till Slott became the regular writer) Spider-Man for a long time, if they hadn't, Superior would have lasted over 2 years.

But they already have 74 Brazilians

Well, King isn't doing a good job with it so far. So, I'm not suprised that is selling less.

Though, the Robins appearance in the next arc might boost the sells.

I agree that double shipping is hurting some books and we are getting a lot of filler issues because of it, but I still think it was smart move from DC.

Making the weekly top ten in a week this weak doesn't mean much. And TT isn't very good.

I am very much enjoying the double shipping. The only problem is that for the first time since I started following ongoings six years ago everything else feels like it takes forever to come out. Some of my favorite DC books, along with the handful of Marvel, Dynamite, BOOM, and Image books that I follow only come out once a month and it seems like it's taking three months between issues. That doesn't even account for how much worse it makes the wait when books actually do take several months because of delays.

Also 5th issue of Titans is higher than TT, which also doesn't look encouraging.

>> 1. Detective Comics #945
>> 3. Flash #11
>> 5. Action Comics #968
>> 6. Wonder Woman #11
>> 7. Titans #5
>> 9. Harley Quinn #8
>> 10. Teen Titans #2
BUSINESS AS USUAL
AND IT FEELS GOOD