Be honest about this movie, Sup Forums

Be honest about this movie, Sup Forums

Legit one of my favorite films of all time.

Yeah it's really good.

It answers the question "Can a director ever become a parody of themselves?"

Thanks Wes Anderson.

>Le Quirky Eastern European Resort

Wes Anderson is underrated

very pink

it's charming

the whole 4:3 gimmick was stupid though

Not a big Wes fan but thought it was pretty good

Wes Anderson's nostalgia, like his set design, is so contrived that I don't believe he really believes in it as anything other than a visual style. The Grand Budapest Hotel is a perfect miniature world, but it left me cold.

The most prevalent criticism of Wes Anderson's oeuvre is that he puts more effort into the his intricate dioramas than writing, plot, characters, etc. I don't find that to be an accurate criticism of his other movies, but it definitely fits here. All the sets are very ordered and detailed, to an absurd and frankly off-putting level. There's next to no character development in the movie; characters are whisked in and out before we get to know anything about them really. Kovacs has a cat and he's a lawyer. Agatha is a pastry-chef and has a Mexico-shaped birthmark. So what? Why should we care? The characters we do get any sort of real characterization of are either one-note baddies or one-note dandies (i.e. M. Gustave). Everyone is a complete caricature. It's almost funny that Anderson's two previous movies had much more rounded characters, and they starred animated foxes and children, respectively. The script is absolutely atrocious, flitting between sickening sentimentality and sudden-vulgarity-is-funny-right-guys?. It's also, tellingly, the first script written entirely by Anderson.

Perhaps most infuriating was Wes Anderson's use of emotional manipulation in the movie . He uses such things as the hotel being oppressed by the SS - sorry the "ZZ" - and Agatha being killed by the "Prussian grippe" as cheap methods of sympathy while also using them as stupid jokes. "ZZ" stands for "zig-zag," a joke that seems very characteristic of his sense of humour, but one that is totally inappropriate, especially given that the hotel isn't persecuted for any reason other than Nazis are mean and do bad things and are short-hand for bad guy. The tone-deaf preciousness is echoed in the "Prussian grippe" name; it's funny because the Spanish flu killed 50 million people? This sort of thing is practically unprecedented in Wes Anderson's movies, but then again there hasn't been one so hollow thus far so either.

The infuriatingness of his quasi-ideology doesn't end there either. I found M. Gustave to be a pretty terrible character, and yet the movie doesn't really try to satirize him so much as it lionizes him as a noble spirit from a bygone age or some such bs. He talks about treasuring things like "civilization" and the way things are supposed to be and Romantic poetry and "purity" in women which just makes me want to throw up. It just kind of encapsulates all the shitty things about the way Wes Anderson thinks into one truly unlikeable character.

Honestly, this movie was so bad I'm having paranoid thoughts that I don't actually like the rest of his movies. Is The Royal Tenenbaums actually any good? If I rewatch Rushmore will it seem just as bad?

tldr: A 1/5 movie

Pretty comfy, dasu~~

The movie was tongue in cheek on purpose you fool.

It was an artsy film, but a good artsy film worthy of being kino in its own right.

meh

>"artsy film"
>"film"
Don't talk to me until you know about film beyond surface Sup Forums levels, Sup Forums cinephile

Or what?

third best Wes after Tenenbaums and Darjeeling

worst wes

wes cowriting with owen wilson > wes without

pmw

>dude does anyone else think nazis are bad? lmao

I like the edward goreyesqueness of it

All I read is that you're an offended nazi

its SHIT

Those are his three worst. Even Bottle Rocket is better.

What SJW wrote this?

amazing atmosphere watching the royal tennebaums atm

Are seriously triggered by the grand budapest of all movies Sup Forumstard?

I enjoyed it. I wouldn't drag my balls through broken glass for it though.

I'm not even a fascist. I'm just tired of the go-to bad guy in every movie even remotely based around the early 1900s. It should have been the Hungarian fascists if anything, not
>DUDE HITLER LMAO