Is it just me, or is Green Arrow harder to write well than a lot of other DC heroes? Why do you think that is?

Is it just me, or is Green Arrow harder to write well than a lot of other DC heroes? Why do you think that is?

He's street level non-genius hero with realistic human limitations in a world of capes and Batman. He has no business doing what he does in their world. It's like throwing Phoenix Jones into a cosmic gladiator tournament.

That's WHY they keep having problems. But you can write a guy like that well if you accept that issue and mostly have them dealing with street level stuff. It's not HARD, they just don't do it. They insist on putting him in ridiculous situations.

Even when it is penny ante stuff it's still silly because he can be a bit of a boy scout.

Compare with Yeoman in Wild Cards, who is like the Punisher with a bow, but more focus and common sense.

he looks like he should be in a d&d campaign instead of a superhero story

This. Unlike Marvel who capitalize on the "beyond his awesome power, he is still human" thing, the character from DC are presented like god/half-god/greek hero who is better than anyone. While everyone have some sort of superpower/insane amount of cash, cognitive skills, in the end, he is just a man who shoot arrows.

Isn't he also super rich?

Because a lot of current writers don't know how to write liberal characters without being pants on hand retarded/pandering? But more likely it's because they need to keep distancing from the Batman likeness. How is his book these days? Last time I checked they were copying the show for some ungodly reason

If you forget his personality, he just becomes Green Batman

And he's at his best when he's written like that, too. Very flawed, in over his head most of the time, but a genuinely good man who's using his skills to do what's right.

I really like the DCAU version where he didn't feel right hanging with the big leaguers. Fighting for the little guy as he put it.

That shit got dropped and ignored thankfully.
For Rebirth he's a good mix of classic and the good elements of Lemires New52 run

Depends on the run, he fluctuates

I think he's just boring.
He doesnt even have a magic bow or something, it's just a bow.No matter how good he is, it's just a bow. Non magical, no ki, no Quigong shit, just a dude with a bow and a few arrows.

He's like a character from DnD who left his setting and wandered into a modern day campaign, and everyone's got like points in 'Super Strength', 'Super Speed', and he's like...'I got a bow.'

You could say the same thing about Batmans ultility belt user. What's wrong with having a well trained street level hero? Not everyone needs an otherworldly ability

Yeah. And, for the most part, that's how they're handling him right now. Ben Percy's writing a damn good, return to the basics run on him right now. As good as Lemire's run was, and it really was great, it still didn't touch the politics or anything that makes Ollie a unique character. If Percy keeps writing him like this, then I'll be a very happy camper.

I would say he is "just" super rich. Batman hasn't just his wealth and the whole Wayne Enterprise to make all kind of gadget for him, he is also the GREATEST DETECTIVE IN THE WORLD.
Shazam has the strengh of Hercule, the wisdom of Salomon, etc, etc.
Superman is indestructible, super strong, shoot laser with his eye,
Wonder Woman came directly from the greek mythology.

Like 20% of the time. He's always giving it up, having it stolen or being declared dead most of the time.

Eh I like the way they're doing it on Arrow. Oliver is far from perfect and ain't unbeatable but he just has years of experience getting his ass kicked and learning from it. Plus like it or hate it Felicity makes more sense for Oliver than Oracle does for Batman. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how he contributes during the Invasion.

Fyff>Babs>Felicity

Dude, he frowns and grunts more often than Judge fucking Dredd. He isn't Green Arrow, he's Frown Arrow.

Practically EVERYTHING from ARROW is cancer user. And its not that Batman needs Oracle, but rather it was a great character progression for Babs. Which I suppose its good for Bruce to have her processing info while hes in the field, I just wouldnt want Oliver given any more reason to be compared to the bat. Although I will admit Diggle originally was a good idea on paper before he became a fucking vigilante. He works best as a Alfred type that grounds Oliver to his civilian life, reluctant to encourage his second life, and always there for pickup when hes in critical condition. At least thats how I see it. I dont even know if hes still a thing in Rebirth

He's in Rebirth, too. Mostly as a spec ops commando and backup for Ollie. Has a lot more practical and field knowledge than Green Arrow, and that comes in handy in critical situations.

They're doing pretty alright now. Nu 52 Ollie was shit, but Rebirth Ollie is great. And his costume is better than ever.

He's supposed to be a real liberal and not a social justice goon despite what his facial hair may otherwise suggest. Thats extremely difficult to write.

Yeah. I think they made him Mayor so they could give him more reason to smile and use his normal voice, plus comics did it.

That's a great comparison.

>"it's just a bow"
user, no lie. Your post made me laugh hard.

When a writer defines a character and then leaves, it often is a determinat to the book and character after.

Much like how Thor has been pale ever since Simonson left the title, or Spidey hasn't ever felt as fresh or strong after Conway. Flash has been good but lackluster since Waid n John's runs.

O'Neil defined not only Question and Batman, but his take on Green Arrow solidified the character into what we know today (minus TV show influences) and every writer since has failed to live up to that standard.

That's why.

Normie detected.

>O'Neil defined not only Question and Batman, but his take on Green Arrow solidified the character into what we know today (minus TV show influences) and every writer since has failed to live up to that standard.
What is Grell?

Grell's also a problem. Unlike a lot of heroes who have a widely accepted amalgamation of fairly consistent character traits throughout their incarnations of good runs Green Arrow has two quintessential and very different versions of himself.

Kevin Smith's whole run was basically Ollie reconciling his O'Neil persona and his Grell persona. And while that was promising eventually it deteriorated and proved unsustainable for future writers.

>I don't read comics
You're a fucking dolt. DC heroes were slowly powered down and humanized throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's.

This whole "Marvel characters are human, DC characters are gods" thing is bullshit made up by people who barely follow comics. The Avengers have been depicted as gods before and the JLA have been depicted as fuck-up humans. There are parts of the Marvel universe that deal with cosmic and universe destroying threats and there are parts of the DCU that deal with street level villains and organized crime. You just can't make these generalizations.

Green Arrow has had the Grell run, Year One, Quiver, really every single run of his has been gritty and character driven as much as someone like Daredevil, and if you can believe people like Spider-Man and Captain America can go up against Avengers level threats, you sure as hell can suspend your disbelief for the few times Green Arrow does.

He's not like the other heros who are supposed to be role models. Green arrow is a man child who still acts like a college freshman and calls anyone who disagrees with him Hitler. He constantly fucks up too. He hardly fits in with the rest of DC who are practically gods.

Unlike most super heroes who are pretty much candidly apolitical Green Arrow is expressly liberal, and the worst kind of libral who sees anything non-liberal as "conservative and there fore bad", his way as the only way, the old man who sees himself as cool and hip and the kids as wierd and wrong, filled with inconsistencies.

He is a billionaire attempting playing Robin Hood while keeping all the trappings of being a billionaire (or at least not for long, and always on his own terms), the self professed SJW who rarely ever actually fights for social justice and prefers just beating on things himself to solve an immediate problem even if it makes things worse in the long run, the masturbatory egoist martyr .

He is "the champion of the people and the oppressed" who has never been hurt or hungry or scared when it wasn't a direct result of his own actions and choices.

He's batman without the self awareness, and thats saying something.

But, and this is important, and makes the rest of his flaws understandable and the character worthwhile, he TRIES, and he does learn, albeit slowly, and part of the whole point of him is to be the liberal paragon but also a negative example of the problems with liberalism.

t. redditor

Is Green Arrow DC's Daredevil?

This bait is delicious.

spend most time on facebook these days, which is probably worse, but thats where my irl friends are these days

only social media/forums i really spent any deal of time on were GitP and SA, but that was most of a decade ago

>and if you can believe people like Spider-Man and Captain America can go up against Avengers level threats, you sure as hell can suspend your disbelief for the few times Green Arrow does.

Wouldn't Hawkeye be a better example?

No, Arrow's a bigger franchise than Daredevil since it's been on longer. It's too early to tell. It probably will be, though.