Why didn't the movie explore his backstory?

Why didn't the movie explore his backstory?

>Henry had a hate-filled childhood. From the start, he was abused psychologically by his abusive Nazi father, Oscar "Butch" Bowers. Butch encouraged Henry to hate all foreigners as well as other American citizens of different color skin, and hate women, because in Butch's words women were "whores" and Henry grew up with a nihilistic, hatemongering attitude.

I didn't think they needed to explain anything. He was way too into torture, feared his father and was just a weak scared kid who Pennywise manipulated to go after the Losers Club.

It was pretty easy to infer he had a messed up childhood without half an hour of flashbacks and exposition.

Why does everyone insist villains need to be sympathetic?

so is it settle if bev was really a whore or not?

Only for her daddy.

So are we supposed to believe he did bang/rape Bev and she's ashamed about it? I just got those vibes during the rock fight scene.

When a 2 hour movie already has 7 protagonists, theres no time to flesh out a 2nd tier antagonist

They haven't even shown Ben's fear though.

They cut Mike out almost completely too. Even gave some of his plot relevance to Ben. I wonder if it's because they were trying to avoid the whole race thing.

I think they may have killed off Mike's parents so it can be his grandad who tells him about the fire at the Black Spot, as the timeline shift would make it weird for his father to have been there

The mummy shows up in Pennywise's lair when he's cycling through forms

That part where he threw up on Eddie was great

I thought Ben was afraid of eating healthy

he was the boy she kissed

No it wasn't, that was Bill. They talk about it earlier. Henry was just being a cocky douche to mask his insecurity

Thought it was weird they killed off Bowers instead of keeping him alive for the timeskip. Maybe he'll miraculously survive that huge fuckin drop.

His part in the adult section can easily be replaced with Bev's husband. If I remember correctly, Henry only showed up to fuck with Mike in the library

They did in deleted scenes. Presumably going to be in the director's cut in December.

>Shadman

now i want someone to replace bev and the bowers gang with a shadman picture and the old guy with winslow

While I think the actor for Henry was an absolutely perfect fit, both appearance and acting wise, I didn't like how they changed his interactions with Mike.
In the book, Henry quite literally calls Mike a nigger a good 25-50 times, owing to his dad despising non-whites. Here he hates him because.......he's a bully, and bullies are supposed to be mean?
And while I understand why they cut it, I really wanted to see Henry poisoning Mike's dog with hamburger meat + rat poison, it is a defining moment in the book that really hammers home just how fucked up Henry is, because the reason he did it is not just because he hates Mike, but he also did it because he knew it would make his dad genuinely happy. When Henry tells his father about killing the dog, he claps him on the back and they enjoy a 6 pack together while watching TV.

name 1 thing his dad did wrong inthe movie

I literally cant

Did they keep the scene where the other kid jerks him off and offers him a blowjob?

name 1 thing his dad did in the movie

No, and even worse they cut Patrick's horrifying flying leaches death and made him die in the sewer like some common pleb.

The director actually wanted to go into Henry's backstory but test audiences didn't like it

he saved a cat.

He shot at him? Embarrassed him in front of his friends?

he did it to scare him into not being a psycho shithead, tough luv

They also made Stan irrelevant.

I like the conversation in the book the boys have near the end about their religions. Richie has some funny bits confusing or making fun of Jews, Episcopalians, Methodists, etc.

Wish we could have seen this.

So is Henry confirmed dead?

>When your book is too pozzed for even current year Jewlywood.

Such a pity. Patrick's chapter was by far the most interesting and unsettling parts of the book. The portrayal of his psychological disorder felt so real and scary.

I read the book a long long time ago, but isn't Mike the one that finds out Pennywise is back, and he rounds everyone up as adults to go fight him again?

Probably because the book took place in the '50s instead of the '80s. There was plenty of '80s racism but it wouldn't see as good a fit.

absolute thot

>Butch encouraged Henry to hate all foreigners as well as other American citizens of different color skin, and hate women, because in Butch's words women were "whores
Sounds like /ourguy/

This. Kid was just an asshole why can't we leave it at that

>why do characters need to have backstory and depth
>just turn your brain off!

Got stabbed in the neck by a teenager and died like a bitch.

He already had enough backstory and depth. If they showed anymore, he'd beat out Bill and Bev for screentime.
We know he's been abused, and instead of doing anything rational about it, he goes off the deep end.

It's extremely hard for me to not imagine half the cast of King's books as the exact same characters.

I unironically think they should get Sutherland for adult bowers.

The director said they originally were more explicit about Henry being abused by his father but they said it was taking up too much screentime from the Loser's Club and that it detracted from his presence during his scenes.

I hope they at least have someone being eaten by leeches in the sequel, maybe the gay guy who's attacked and thrown into a river in the book? I'd be cool if the leeches got so fat they turned into balloons.

Stephen must've gotten a lot of wedgies from greasers when he was a kid
>that greaser character in the STand who rapes trashman in the ass with his gun
SK is so fucked up

I hope all that's brought up in the sequel or in the director's cut at least. Maybe Mike researches Derry's history and learns about Patrick's baby brother, becomes disturbed by it, and then Pennywise uses that to fuck with Mike.