What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Sup Forums doesn't read comics so everyone hated it for being an actual X-Men movie instead of capeshit.

It feels as if literally no one who worked in this movie cared about it.

>What went wrong?

Jubilee doesn't do anything.
Movie revolves around Mystique because Jennifer Lawrence is a self-absorbed cunt.

It wasn't that bad, it just wasn't great....and movies that aren't great only get a pass if they give the internet like 50 new quotes to meme the shit out of

This is ridiculously accurate.

Apocalypse should of killed Mystique so he actually looked like a threat and it would have gotten Jennifer Lawrence out of the series

Six movies into the main series and everything is still centered around Magneto and Xavier. Which is the core moral dilemma and spiritual of the franchise in general, but really hurts the films as actual team pictures, especially when they're trying to juggle twenty characters at once. If they dialed it down and focused mainly on the new little team of X-Kids, like the comics fundamentally do, it would have been much stronger. No complaints with Apocalypse himself, they honestly could not have made him more accurate to his comic counterpart. It tried to do more and less than Days of Future Past, which was similarly crowded and overloaded but ended up a much better film. The critical backlash was really overblown though, you cannot like DOFP on any level and somehow despise this, they're of a piece.

Well this just about proves this

>it wasn't that bad

>apocalypse did nothing. like literally fucking nothing.
>storm has three lines in the whole movie
>psylocke is olivia munn
>jean and magneto rebuild an exploded x-mansion with no construction experience and ONLY USING THEIR POWERS
>charles is bald not because of genes but because of lolmagic

Please leave.

They didn't give Quicksilver a cute boyfriend. Also disappointed that he didn't reveal himself to Magneto.

Holy fuck this is some Youtube webcam tier """""criticism""""""

It tried to do a bunch of comic shit without establishing or building things up in the movie universe. This is why it felt bloated but rushed at the same time.

please tell me more about how only "hardcore comic nurddz" understood this masterpiece of a film

You have literally nothing to say but MUH FAVORITE CHARACTER DIDN'T DO WHAT I WANTED and HOW DID DEY DO THIS?

except not one of my points said that. amazing. all those points and you couldn't single out and refute one. sick caps tho.

You have no points to respond to. A character you like not having enough lines isn't a point.

then why are they in the movie? why include a hugely important character like storm and relegate her to something a background extra could have done? how is that good storytelling to you, and not worthy of critique?

did you think cyc being killed off in X3 was a good idea too?

1. I'll give you this one. Apocalypse himself didn't do that much.
2. Accurate. Under utilized.
3. Opinion. Same problem as Storm, though.
4. Nitpick
5. Nitpick

I accept that. definitely nitpicks for some of them.

but a problem like apocalypse being a directionless idiot is a pretty fundamental flaw.

>then why are they in the movie?

Because it's an ensemble team movie

>why include a hugely important character like storm and relegate her to something a background extra could have done?

Because the movie has no obligation to cater to your idea of which characters are most important

>how is that good storytelling to you, and not worthy of critique?

Because it's not a critique, it's just the movie not catering to your specific tastes.

preferences have nothing to do with good storytelling. it's one of those fundamental things that determines if a work of fiction is successful or not, ya dig?

plus, if my tastes as so specific, don't you think this movie would have done better financially and critically?

>preferences have nothing to do with good storytelling.

Then all of your criticism shouldn't be based on preferences and nitpicking

>plus, if my tastes as so specific, don't you think this movie would have done better financially and critically?

Yea this is complete horseshit. Financial success has nothing to with a movie's quality and most of the critical hate was based on factors outside of the movie like X-Men and big dumb action fatigue. None of the professional criticism had the same points you're making because your points are subjective and weak shit.

When you guys told me what Magneto does without consequence I lost any interest in seeing it.

cool, can you cite a review that says x-men failed due to "dumb action fatigue"? also if you could include a review that said it was a solid movie in spite of that that'd be great.

also wtf does "x-men" as a factor for failure mean?

btw I can point at several reviews that had many of the same issues I had with the movie. as well as other people in the thread.

>he didn't reveal himself to Magneto
nigga, you didnt even watch the movie

I liked the Quicksilver scene in DofP but remaking it was unnecessary and felt too much like a forced studio "people liked it last time! do it again but bigger!" thing.

Never really liked J-Law so having her be the big savior of the mutant race that gets worshiped if she goes around blue was annoying.

Half the new mutants we got shown in the trailers to build hype are barely in the damn thing, so it comes down to the same 3 characters again.

And goddamn am I sick of Phoenix shit. Granted it's because MvC3 already broke the camel's back but do we really have to go through that story again? Do we really need to rewrite the entire universe with bullshit so that Singer can do Phoenix Saga his way?

I mean, he didn't reveal to Magneto that he was his son. But also, Quicksilver should get a cute boyfriend.

Oh, you forgot about mystique

>jean and magneto rebuild an exploded x-mansion with no construction experience and ONLY USING THEIR POWERS

This is the only X-Men movie I haven't watched yet. I'm just disgusted with the Fox movie franchise. They were so cavalier with the movies and blatantly ignored previous films. The continuity errors really got on my nerves. All the movies contradict each other. The 90s X-Men cartoon did all the stories the movies are trying to cover much better. They tried to change the timeline with DoFP and then from what I hear they just promptly fucked it up again. I'm sick of Prof. X vs. Magneto. Sick of Wolverine being overused and other characters being ignored. Sick of the massive cast of dozens of mutants most of who never do or say much of interest. Why not a small core group of characters who are actually well-developed? I'm sick of the world being about to end every movie. Just give it back to Marvel.

yeah I totally did. she was almost forced harder in this movie than storm in X3. and written just about as poorly. fuck.

>Sup Forums.jpg

The first X-Men film and X2 are better than anything Marvel has put out. Continuity is not more important than good films.

Honestly the only real problem with that is this.. If you're able to watch the first twenty minutes of Bryan Singer's The Mummy something like that is within the realm of plausibility for this universe. What's wrong with it is that Mags kills hundreds of millions of people in a global catastrophe that nearly puts humanity back to the stone age, then he only changes his mind because of his faggot son and because his new boyfriend is going to slip his essence into his ex. Then he helps save the day and rebuilds a single school and the movie acts like he's a decent person, that is what breaks credibility for me.

WHY DON'T YOU REBUILD THE THOUSANDS OF SCHOOLS YOU REDUCED TO DUST WITH CHILDREN INSIDE THEM ERIK? WHY SHOULDN'T YOUR OTHER CHILD DIE LIKE THE MILLIONS MORE YOU MURDERED YOURSELF?

At least Storm was cute desu

Remembering Sup Forums going all apeshit over Jubilee during film production, getting the whole 80's outfit right, then when the film gets released Sup Forums gets pissed off that she was just a background character with a few lines and doesn't use her powers.

Nobody calls Jubilee by name, and she doesn't even get the chance to say her own name.

I honestly don't know what anyone expected from these shit movies

wasn't jubilee technically cast like two other times during the franchise? and both times she did fuck all and didn't get a name.

It was a good movie for the most part, but it felt like they forgot or ignored most of Mystique's established character. Lawrence being visibly bored with the role is one thing, but it was clear even the writers didn't care enough to remember basic things they'd established about her.

Also, Singer showed that, once again, he's utterly terrified of actually putting superheroes in colorful costumes. Hopefully future movies can put the black leather look to rest.

And the Wolverine cameo went on a little too long for its own good.

This TBQHPh

Fuck the hell off and kill yourself Singer. This movie was nothing like the comics.

If this thread is still up by the time I get off work I'll type up a whole review about why this movie is shit.

"Xavier and Magneto fight for the soul of Wolverine and/or Mystique while 20 people stand around awkwardly in costumes. Guest-starring some villain you won't care about in the slightest. Part VI"

@87995488
Not even worthy of a (You)

>Apocalypse is a jobber
>It's all about Charles and Eric
>Nonsensical timeline stuff where you can't keep track of who's alive
>Mansion blows up but it's not really a big deal
I'm not saying it's a good movie but it's pretty accurate

I strongly disagree. X-Men 1 the plot of Magneto was retarded, he wanted to turn all the humans into mutants, and then that part where the senator melted or whatever? So lame. X-Men 2 the cast was too large, not enough focus on individual characters, more Magneto bullshit. Now I'm not saying they were terrible films, they were quite good but almost any Marvel movie is better, and professional critic reviews bear that out.

Continuity is very important if you are not just trying to tell one self-contained story but create a larger mythos. The Marvel movies virtually never contradict what other ones have laid out, how fucking simple is that, just watch the previous movies and adhere to what the laid out, don't have two Emma Frosts at conflicting times, don't have Professor X meet the X-Men as bald Patrick Stewart in one movie and then contradict that with McAvoy, don't put a teaser for Days of Future Past in with Professor X and Magneto approaching Wolverine at an airport and then forget that ever happened, don't have Professor X die at the end of the Last Stand and then have him still be alive without explaining it, don't have Bolivar Trask appear as a black guy in one movie and then as a white dwarf in another, don't have Wolverine look the same age as he does now in the future of DoFP and then have him look way older at what is supposed to be about the same time in Logan. I mean they have offered lame explanations for some of this off-screen but no No-Prize is deserved for those.

Oh and Wolverine doesn't recognize Sabertooth when he meets him even though he's supposedly his brother.. I'm sure there's a ton of other retarded shit I missed.

I really don't care that Marvel movies don't contradict each other because they're AWFUL. I really don't care that X-Men movies contradict each other because many of them are great

I would assume you're a casual or a newfag because thinking continuity is the main indicator of quality is retarded and thinking continuity is the main indicator of quality IN COMICS is fucking mega retarded.

>Mystique. Everything about Mystique.
>Beast. Everything about Beast.
>Wolverine. Everything about Wolverine.
>Cyclops not being the focal point and developing in the leader.
>Apocalypse never felt like a real threat.
>Phoenix already being a thing is insanely stupid, and a pussy cop out way to win.
>No Gambit.
>Bringing back Xavier's waifu for no real reason.
>Not involving other students

The timeline is a mess
Magneto keeps getting another chance no matter how big a shitbag he is
The mutants you want to see be interesting don't do shit.
You end up thinking maybe the humans are right

That's what X-men is as a franchise. The fact that the movies don't also include any of the GOOD aspects is beside the point.

Why did you have to respond to this blatant shitposter?

you know I actually totally forgot wolverine was in the movie.

like, I read this and was like "dude are you thinking about the wrong movie?" and then I remembered and also remembered why I blocked it because holy fuck was that sequence stupid.

Professional critics who review movies for a living disagree with you. Doesn't necessarily make you wrong but it means you're probably in the minority of people knowledgeable about movies who hold your opinion. Virtually all of the Marvel movies are fantastic. They have characters who struggle with moral issues, their characters in most cases grow and change and progress, you get to know them as people.

What do we know about the movie versions of Cyclops and Storm? We know about movie Wolverine but he's far less interesting and complex than the one from the comics. They tried to give him a Jean Grey love backstory, even though when the character was alive they never portrayed any relationship between them. They tried to give him a Japan backstory and they made literally every Japanese character evil except two girls who I guess wanted his dick.

Continuity issues are to be expected in the comics. There are hundreds of writers writing about these characters they can't possibly be familiar with every past story. There are, what, 9 X-Men movies? You could watch those over a weekend with some Red Bull to keep you going. Continuity issues are a flaw in comics but an unavoidable one, It's avoidable in the movies, and far more annoying. Chances are if you are an X-Men fan you will see every movie but you couldn't easily read every comic, so you wouldn't even notice most of the continuity issues in the comics.

The only real issue with the Marvel movies is most of them don't have very good villains (only ones that comes to mind are Loki and Kingpin from the Netflix Daredevil). X-Men movies have one good villain, Magneto, and they've BEAT HIM INTO THE FUCKING GROUND. EVERY FUCKING MOVIE IS MAGNETO V. PROF. X. At least Marvel tries to mix things up a bit.

Anyone else feel like we never REALLY got the sentinels? Sure the future OP ones were cool, but I always wanted to see the X Men tear through a dozen of the hulking brutes similar to the ones at the end of Apocalypse

>Professional critics who review movies for a living disagree with you.
Average Rotten Tomato score of the first two X Men movies is 83.5, average score of the Marvel films is 81.6.

>Virtually all of the Marvel movies are fantastic.
They're so fucking safe and cookie cutter it's disgusting.

Well since this thread is here anyway.

How did Quicksilver know the mansion was exploding?

>>apocalypse did nothing. like literally fucking nothing.
No one in the world has nukes now and Cairo got fucking wrecked. I think it was Cairo.

Did you really just go and add up every Marvel movie's score and divide it by the number of movies? Lol.

The scene with Magneto's family and the factory is completely wasted because it's not X-Men: Fatal Attractions

It doesn't have a Marvel logo at the start.

If it did no one would be ripping it apart, people act as if the MCU movies aren't full of holes and bad moments too.

they aren't... not by comparison at least.

matter of fact marvel doesn't get enough credit for creating this cohesive world that all works together.. it's totally unprecedented in all of film history.. you have a gritty punisher and an off the wall rocket raccoon running around in what you know is supposed to be the same universe yet you never question it because it's all so perfectly executed.

Looking forward to it.

it was okay.

dunno why the haters hate it so much

>you have a gritty punisher and an off the wall rocket raccoon running around in what you know is supposed to be the same universe yet you never question it because it's all so perfectly executed.

Except not at all. Your examples specifically are shit. The Netflix series and GotG feel completely removed from the rest of the universe (and they're better off for it).

even assuming you did your autistic math properly that still contradicts the marvel movies being 'awful'. okay if you factor in the less great marvel movies like the thor and iron man sequels and combine those with the great ones the score is slightly less than for the first two x-men. now what about comparing all the x-men movies average score with all the marvel movies average score? it would be no contest. the first two x-men movies were not that bad, i agree, but they're tainted by association with the stink of the sequels that turned the whole backstory into garbage.

>the first two x-men movies were not that bad, i agree, but they're tainted by association with the stink of the sequels that turned the whole backstory into garbage.

I really can't stress enough how autistic this continuity obsession is.

Does Attack of the Clones "taint" Empire Strikes Back by turning the whole backstory into garbage?

Sort of. The original movies were far greater than the first two X-Men movies so there's that. But yes accepting the prequel crap as part of the canon diminishes the value of the original movies. If you can enjoy the original trilogy while ignoring the prequels, or enjoy the first tow X-Men movies while ignoring the other crap, more power to you.

>The Netflix series and GotG feel completely removed from the rest of the universe

Not really. Ones more violent and the other more goofy but I can see those characters interacting.

This is a quality post

Yeah I can buy that they are in the same universe. I would never actually want to see them interact though. But I can buy that they're both in their own little niches of this one universe.

1. Too much Magneto

2. Misuse of Magneto. He shouldn't have even been a Horseman, They should have scrapped his revenge plot, have him go missing for the rest of the movie until he shows up to lead the X-Men in the final fight with Pokka Lips.

3. Too much Jennifer Lawrence.

4. The kids were barely there

5. Apocalypse was barely there.

Oh and yeah have some balls.

Kill Mystique (have her sacrifice herself to save Beast) to get Storm to join the heroes.

I get that Apocalypse is king of the jobbers and is only good for makeovers and speeches, but did they have to make him a damn manlet? He should be a foot taller than everyone else. Also I love how since we cant talk about his alien tech we just have solar powered.....whatever the hell was in those pyramids

Oscar Isaac wasn't a good choice of actor for that role.

I wanted to see Christopher Judge play Apocalypse since I first watched Stargate. Seeing a movie with Apocalypse played by anyone else didn't feel right.

>The movie itself

It has no reason to exist outside of making money. At least the MCU and DCEU are expanding their universes. At least a starting capeshit franchise aims to make a trilogy. Apocalypse is proof the X-Men franchise should have been rebooted a long time ago.

>Rehashing old plot points

Again, this franchise needs to be rebooted because they've exhausted every X-Men plot. How many times do I need to see Magneto whine about "MUH FAMILY!", or Wolverine break out of Weapon X, Jean turn into the Phoenix, Cyclops have to deal with his unstable eye powers and so on? It's done and it's tired. Apocalypse does nothing new.

>"We need Avengers money!"

This film is a direct response to Age of Ultron. Fox demanded Singer to deliver them an Avengers movie but Singer's strength is character drama. This leads to a random string of CG shitfests with barely a story to tie it together. Actually, this whole fucking movie is a big set up for that CG clusterfuck at the end. Things just happen. Mansion blows up, Quicksilver saves the day, Stryker comes and picks up all the main characters and takes them to Weapon X, cue Wolverine scene, and now the main characters get suited up for a final battle.

Ultron at least had a plot. We got to see the characters grow and develop over the course of the movie. The action scenes were tied together by an actual story. The whole movie wasnt a fucking set up for the third act. The Avengers actually engaged Ultron. The X-Men didn't even engage Apocalypse until the final battle. The entire movie is just Apocalypse gathering his team and the X-Men sitting on their asses.

contd

>Filler

This baffles me the most. So Bryan Singer wanted to undo Vaugn's work from First Class so he made a soft reboot with DoFP. Why the hell is he doing it AGAIN with his own canon in this movie? Why are all the characters scattered across the world and essentially restarting their arcs(answer: because we need a globetrotting capeshit film like Ultron)? Why do we have to have a subplot with Magneto losing his family just to see him turn evil AGAIN!? He's Magneto. He should have been fighting for Mutantkind and then joined up with Apocalypse believing he would save the mutant race. But no, we didn't get that because this film has no story and we need filler to fill out the runtime.

>Canon

No attempt to correct the X-Men canon. Movie apprently takes places 10 years after DoFP and characters clearly havent aged.

>Shit writing

Fassbender/Magneto is so bored with this movie he justs sits out the final battle in a bubble and has to be convinced to fight. He also killed MILLIONS of people and wrecked the entire world but he gets a slap on the wrist at the end.

>The actors

Sophie Turner ant act at all. Monotone and only made two faces the entire film I shit you not. Fassbender clearly doesn't want to be there. We all know Jennifer Lawrence is so bored with the franchise that she couldnt even be bothered to turn blue for half the movie.

>Costumes

All these fucking years we've been asking Singer for comic book accurate costumes and he waits until THE END of the movie to show them. How much you wanna bet they'll be gone by the next film?

It's just a giant clusterfuck. Even worse than BvS. If you unironically like this piece of filth then you know nothing about the comics and film in general. Kill yourself

It wasn't an X Factor movie starring the original actors for Scott, Jean, Warren, Hank and Bobby

X-Men: Origins is pretty much non-canon.

>If you unironically like this piece of filth then you know nothing about the comics and film in general. Kill yourself

AM I FITTING IN YET?

Also this is the movie where the find Wolverine locked in a closet. A fucking closet. This franchise has come up with fantastical ways of containing mutants but this killing machine and star of the whole show is locked in a closet.

Hugh Jackman clearly phoned in his performance and I dont blame him. They called him in do the same thing he's been doing for 15 years now. He clearly was bored and probably told Singer that they've only got him for one day.

I can keep going on.

>Be me
>Watching Apocalypse
>He controls Xavier and makes him fire all nukes in the world
>Everything gets tense
>Music swells up
>Apocaplyse gives a badass speech
>"Oh shit are they going to set up Old Man Logan? Is the FoX-Men universe going to turn into Mad Max?"
>Apocalypse then proceeds to send the nukes into space
>He literally did fucking nothing and that scene was filler

Wasn't it established that in First Class that mutants can survive the nuclear apocalypse? Didn't Apocaplyse want to cleanse the Earth of humans? So why didnt he just nuke the world?

Fuck this movie and fuck that underage Fox shill ITT who keeps defending this pile of shit.

I don't like having to figure out after the fact what stuff in the movies 'really' happened. You put out there, take responsibility for it, don't just ignore it because you wrote yourself into a corner. Unless you do a hard reboot with all different actors you don't get to just ignore your past screw-ups.

DOFP was made out of passion and desperation to save the franchise

Apocalypse was made out of obligation and contracts and arrogance.

They have no idea what the hell they're doing and refuse to give the rights back to Marvel along with Fantastic Four's

Another point about continuity. In the comics when they do something that breaks continuity they usually realize it and try to come up with some explanation for it to make it make a little more sense. They can do this because not every issue is about the world being about to end, they have a little time to clarify things through dialogue, etc. They don't do that in the movies.

anybody notice the special effects were crap? Like they looked completely different from DOFP

what, did they get a new sfx company or something?

>Because it's an ensemble team movie
Team movies usually have a team doing things together.

>Professional critics who review movies for a living disagree with you. Doesn't necessarily make you wrong but it means you're probably in the minority of people knowledgeable about movies who hold your opinion
>Being a movie critic means you automatically know things about movies.

Nothing.
It was the year's one true capekino.

it was great until the essex captured them, the movie fell apart til the end

>you cannot like DOFP on any level and somehow despise this, they're of a piece.
Yes. Both films are irredeemably bad.

S'alright! Just shave off 30 minutes and smoothen things out a bit.