Explain

Explain.

pretentious garbage.jpg

Wanna fight??

The oedipal subtext isnt even the interesting stuff. It's the pristine visual language with which the story, the ineffectual brother of a dead thug thinks he can exact revenge, to absolutely no avail as if trying to land a punch in a dream, is told. He makes for an interesting protagonist as he is throughout, in the wrong, on a fool's errand as the ostensible antagonist is actually the real human bean and the real hero.

Stop using pretentious to criticize films you're too visually illiterate to comprehend.

Only Ryan Gosling's character forgives others in the film

Ryan Gosling = God

bump

i know for a fact this is a woman that doesn't understand male cinema

Lost River > OGF

Films people with healthy relationship to their parents will never understand

He was God

this
Gosling = Gos/Go(d)

Bump for serious answers

The director was god
Refn=Reformation=Martin Luther=God

DUDE OEDIPUS OLD TESTAMENT NEON LMAO

God Forgave

no
lost river was decent though. i'd like to see what gosling does next

Been ages since I've seen it. Irc the detective was a metaphor for God.

Not him but OGF is one of the few films that can genuinely be labelled pretentious.

no one hates only god forgives. people that do just haven't taken the time to understand it. i saw it on here getting compared to 2001 a lot and i can see what people mean. refn is like a updated version of steven kubrick, hes like kubrick but better in some ways. kubrick has good shots like refn and has stories which you have to interpret like refn but refn tells his stories better i think. also refn gets to work with really good actors which kubrick wasn't lucky enough too. imagine clockwork orange with ryan gosling. wow. i think ogf is far better than 2001 from what i have seen because ogf deals with strong universal theme about higher powers and what it means to be human and stuff while 2001 was just about going to space. i bet kubrick would have loved to collaborate with refn and refn could have taught him some cool stuff like how to make his shots more impactful and emotional and techniques like symbolism and good use of music.

I want to punch you for those commas.

Great post, anonymous. You bring a lot to this discussion comma and board.

Great retort not

a 10/10 you fuck

Yes

I really enjoyed Drive, will I enjoy this or will it be a letdown?

This nonsense is so inorganic to any sense of globetrotter restlessness or anything explicitly or metaphorically to do with British or American colonialism that it just feels derivative. That Kubrickian scene in Drive of dead-eyed strippers watching an assault gets extended here in a more elaborate whorehouse sequence where catatonic hookers bear mute witness to instances of police corruption. Refn’s tableau of organdy-gowned call-girls listening to pop while watching violence in a bouquet-bedecked whorehouse is the ultimate David Lynch parody.

Gosling and Refn have art ambitions–a strange sense of fun. But how can film culture progress with fantasies like this? There’s no shock or outrage left. Refn relies upon a level of menace (unerotic, non-provocative) that precludes caring about or responding to violence, vulnerability, mortality. This is cinema for unsophisticated viewers who don’t already know Bunuel’s eye-slashing, Altman’s Coke bottle assault or Shakespeare/Julie Taymor’s Titus. Children of Kubrick, Friedkin, Lynch and Tarantino, they remain infantile about movies.

simply put? It's pleb bait

C'mon user, it's your life. Take a chance.

Valhalla rising but worse

It's about the endless cycle of revenge, how sex can consume a man's mind, and how only a force truly dedicated to justice can end the Wild West mentality of violence and carnality.

Explain to me how this shit isn't "pretentious" but Kubrick is?

6'4 150 IQ here

I enjoyed this movie

There's nothing to explain. Refn's films are so autistically straight forward to the point I don't even understand how calling his work pretentious became the meme it is today.

hows neon demon?

High-end cinema that only patricians will understand

The movie is mostly about him BEING forgiven rather than forgiving others.