Just something weird I was thinking about today, Sup Forums...

Just something weird I was thinking about today, Sup Forums, but is there any kind of portal story that hasn't been done?

You know the deal. There's a mysterious portal. Where does it lead? Etc. Off the top of my head, there's been other planets, strange magical alternate worlds or just alternate history Earths, Hell-type places like the upside down, and probably lots of others I'm not remembering.

I always feel a vague sense of disappointment when it's revealed what's on the other side. It's like it never lives up to the hype of the mystery.

Can a portal story be done that wouldn't be disappointing? What would be on the other side that wouldn't be disappointing? Assuming you didn't just blueball the audience and not show them at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4nFhHe_zQmE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Yeah i agree that it can be disappointing. Well there could be a few options:
- The other side could be just complete dark, with a strange kind of floor, not exactly solid...or concrete.
- Or the character(s) could arrive in a room with no one in it and try to find a way out but it would only lead to other rooms or hallways for a while with no one in it.
- Or for the fun of it, you could arrive in a crowd or right in the middle of a staircase or road...i always thought it should happen more often.

>boyfriend and girlfriend love each other
>have to move apart
>start feeling depressed
>find a portal in their closet leading to the others closet
>they get to see each other all the time
>the greatest romance ever told begins

jumper is portal kino

Well it would certainly be a fun romantic comedy for once! I don't know why romantic comedies can't be genre oriented also.

yeah theyre fun when they do try to be a bit different to the generic city setting
Groundhog Day
About Time
Kate & Leopold
Splash kinda counts

Oh Groundhog day is one of my favorite films. It only slowly reveals itself as a romantic comedy also, which is very interesting. Plus there is all this existential thing he goes through, which would be interesting to adress if the writers wanted to go for a more realistic film. Usually romantic comedies always deal with some flaws or concerns that one of the characters has, and it creates a tension...like if he is really unemployed and miserable, but don't want to admit it to her...or if she's sick as fuck, or her ex still harasses her or some shit.

Here's my idea.
You enter the world and it's completely open, there's a small platform under you, but everything else is open to infinity. Up, down, left and right just expanding to infinity. The background could be a generic cloud / sky background w/e.
Here's where it gets interesting, when you step off the platform, a pillar from below emerges in the blink of an eye under your foot. It's shaped exactly as your foot. As you take another step into the emptiness, another pillar emerges from below shaped like your foot. If you fall on your back, a pillar shaped like your body emerges and stops your fall.
Say you lie down and start rolling around, there's always a platform under you, but not anywhere else.

What if you step into the portal and end up in exactly the same world? It is you who has changed, you become paranoid and suspicious of this world, it seems fake to you so you seek the portal again and step into it. The world remains the same but you've changed further. You keep doing this until you're mentally and physically a complete alien.

What's the point of this world? Is there a platform if you piss? Does the piss travel forever?

Yeah could be fun. Like you just end up near the wall behind the portal, but if you want to turn around the portal, there's a forcefield blocking you, so it's just you and a few meters of space next to a wall. And you're trying to figure out if you changed dimensions or not lol

I remember reading a short story a really long time ago about this kid that finds a hole that suddenly appeared in the earth. He yells
>Anybody down there?
And throws a pebble.
Turns out it was so big and so deep that scientists couldn't find the bottom, or explain how it got there.
Eventually, everyone around the world starts chucking all thier trash and radioactive waste and everything into it. It becomes the dump of the world. Things get cleaner, the world becomes a better place.
Years later, a construction worker is building a tower, looking out at the sunset with a smile, thinking about the world peace and how beautiful everything is. He doesn't hear the shout above him
>Anyone down there.
And he doesn't feel the pebble bounce off his helmet.

Sounds a bit like the scene in the third Indiana Jones where he feels like walking on air, but we find out he's really walking on a tiny passage between two cliffs or something.
The question would be who created that and for what purpose...could be that other travellers have acquired a new form of tech that allows them to do that

haha sounds fun

I guess it reacts to the electrical signal of your body, so piss would just fall "forever". Also if you die, say someone stabs you, you fall "forever" too. With "infinity" I meant it would take years upon years to reach to the bottom when falling at maximum velocity so from the perspective of a human, it's "infinite". The pillars have to come from somewhere.
I just set the milieu, the point can be anything for example reaching the bottom while still alive. In the story the bottom could be revealed when a giant gust of wind cleared the clouds for a while.

Being John Malkovich is Malkovich/10

I had a dream once about a group of ghost hunter type dudes who find a portal to Hell in a closet. They tie a rope around one of the dude's waist, and he goes through the portal. After a few seconds, they pull him back through, he's screaming, and he's all melted like the dude from Robocop who gets fucked up by the toxic waste. Shit kind of shook me up.

Been done before

youtube.com/watch?v=4nFhHe_zQmE

kek what the fuck is this shit?

Some weird small film similar to your dream. I saw it on tv one night.

I'm not the guy you replied to who was dreaming.

What year is this? ;)

I miss Sliders.

2001: A Space Odyssey's portal was pretty cool. The ageing stuff definitely felt alien and strange enough.