Honest thoughts on this film?

honest thoughts on this film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/al21Vtlsg4A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_(1999_film)#Critical_reception
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when I was an edgy teen I thought it was pretentious garbage, haven't seen it in more than a decade though so who knows.

When I was an edgy teen I thought it was fantastic.

Now I'm an adult, and still think it is fantastic.

muh gay agenda

it's a 10/10 film

Paved the way for six feet under so for that it's good

I was 12 or something when I first saw it(one of the few movies my mum owned on VHS) and even then I knew it was great. It's only gotten better every time I watch it.

Great film. At first you think like this
user but then realize that it is a very solid kino

It's a great piece of satire and male power fantasy. It's one of those movies me and my dad laugh about once in a while.

I still like the nudity.

Still like it, watch it once a year or so. Annette Bening and Kevin Spacey are the reason to watch, the kids story arc never interested me. Well acted, well filmed, and still holds up, even though the plot goes over most people's heads.

Awesome movie, probably my favorite Kevin Spacey movies and one of my favorites overall.

Like this user said the kids story (Wes Bentley and the literally who girl who was only famous for getting her tits out underage) was so boring.

>even though the plot goes over most people's heads

I think it went over mine, even though I really liked the film. Mind enlightening stranger, stranger?

This scene is too hokey, but the rest of the movie is fantastic. Kevin Spacey is a great actor, and this is a very well directed, well written movie. (Except for the "homophobes are just secretly gay" aspect the homosexual writer decided to throw in, but maybe if I had seen the movie at the time it came out I wouldn't have minded as much)

Was it autism?

actually, there was a scene were Ricky's dad opened a box or something and it had gay-ish pictures, of his war buddies or something, i think they should've kept it because that scene just comes out of fucking nowhere and is kinda absurd without that missing part

Mad kikey

What went over my head?

Top tier late 90s comfort vibe

Reddit loves this movie because it's a masturabory fantasy (both metaphorically and literally with regards to the cheerleader dreams) of what happens when a reddit moderator beta male changes his ways, for absolutely no reason, and becomes a cool guy.

Your boss fires you and, despite being one character your entire life, a walked on weasel who gets cucked by your wife and your daughter thinks you're a faggot, getting fired somehow empowers you - that one final step finally clicks something in you, now you're an assertive alpha male who uses machiavellian techniques to negotiate for a payout.

Your boss doesn't just say "I'll have our lawyers contact you" and laugh at the little beta you've been for 40 years, no, your boss caves, because he too is acting irrationally for no reason. He knows that his corporation has a firm on retainer, and you're a loser, so it's your word versus his, and he has better lawyers than you, and he also knows that paying you out won't guarantee his safety from further allegations. So in reddit land, your boss is an idiot, and you're a genius because you get fired.

And everything is fucking great, you smoke weed, hot cheerleaders want to fuck you, your relationship with your SJW faggoty daughter improves, you even start going running with gay guys and doing bicep curls. This is the redditors ultimate fantasy, and his favourite film.

Overrated. Still great tho. Acting of adult actors and the cheerleader was great. Other kids are booooring.

Yes Mr. Sherman, everything is reddit

>Then:
>Angela was meant to be the attractive one, but liked Jane more and thought she was more attractive

>Now:
>Like Angela a lot more, don't find Jane appealing

The point is that he starts acting like an immature teenager again. He's only truly happy at the end, when he turns down the opportunity to fuck the girl and starts acting like a father figure, therefore acting his age again.

FUCK ME YOUR MAJESTY

This.

>The neighbor is turning my son gay.
>I guess I'll go over and fuck him too.

the most believable sex scene ever and i'm not fucking kidding

I always thought that Ricky knew he was gay, and thats why he said that extra mean shit about gay people in the car to him and stares him dead in the eyes. So good.

It's been 18 years, you're probably now a real life Lester.

Congrats.

fuck, i forgot about that part, i just thought he stared at him thinking "wow what a crazy kid"

but still, without that missing scene it doesn't make much sense, why would someone think he's gay when all he says is he hates them?

Because the guy who wrote the movie is gay, and likes to think that anyone who disapproves of his lifestyle is secretly also gay.

That's a point? That he becomes immature? And getting fired was the trigger point for that? Why? Because the screenwriter wrote it?

It's a really poorly constructed narrative that is aided by good direction, memorable characters and nice cinematography. The story is retarded reddit fantasy.

it was pretty believable until she told him she is a virgin and he didnt fuck the shit out of her

literally no man in the world would have done what he did

a gay man might

you make a valid point. let me amend by saying no straight male would decide its not right in that moment.

was extremely impressed by it when i saw it a few years back for the first time. it's an actual good film, and those are rare. haven't seen it again since so not sure if it still holds up for me

>a gay man who is fantasizing about fucking her

the screenwriter I mean

>wow i'm gazzing out over this American Beauty™
>literally negative tits

embarrassing

Not going to lie, I'm middle aged now and if that situation came up, I'd probably do the same thing.

17-20 years olds do nothing but trigger my dad instincts, it's a curse

A daughter figure is infinitely more valuable than a sex toy. You'll understand one day.

Its a really good movie, but this dumb homophobe-is-secretly-gay meme is fucking annoying.

Just a smug cynical pseudo-deep slog-fest
Same as Fight club

The Bill Hicks of film

but it's an interesting commentary on closet gays in society, though. One of my filipino uncles is gay, and his dad quite literally disowned him for it and hated him ever since he came out when he was in his teens.

Ffw some years, my uncle is now pretty successful and lives comfortably. And out of nowhere, his dad comes out as gay.

maybe you're gay too

to be fair I think the majority of people are a little gay/bi anyways, just it wasn't popular to be public about it until really recently

I bet if you had the complete truth from every dude if he'd ever liked the idea of fucking another dude you'd see that like 60% of guys are gay

Id let bailey jay blow me and probably assfuck her but i dont want her dick touching me

thats my level of gayness

So you are literally gay then.

I don't get why people get all offended that they are actually gay because they are into trannies, it's the same as being a straight guy who likes big boobs instead of small boobs or blondes instead of brunettes. You just happen to be a gay man who likes guys who look more feminine compared to gay men who like their dudes to look more masculine.

>Reddit
>masturabory fantasy
>reddit moderator beta male
>cucked
>little beta
>So in reddit land
>SJW faggoty daughter
>redditors ultimate fantasy

Imagine being so wrapped up in "based" internet speak that you've forgotten how to communicate like a human being

The Kinsey Scale is definitely a real thing

Good trannies are feminine women with cute benises though
It's not gay, just a fetish

this anons onto something A lot of people see it as either being gay(or lesbian) or being straight. Two ends of the spectrum.

But I think the ends are actually "liking women" or "liking men". That's it. You either like men, or like women, regardless of whether you're a man or woman yourself.

Anything in between is bi, or varying degrees thereof. e.g. some women don't mind getting with girls, but would rather be with a guy. You obviously don't see it in men as often, but that's because of societal pressures. The Romans seemed to be pretty open with this stuff.

i'm gay because i like the look of girls?

put bailey jay in clothes, like 99% of women, and tell me you dont want to fuck her/him

the fact she has a dick isnt great but she/he is still sexy LARPing as a girl

its all too confusing. id fuck this for sure. but i wouldnt fuck a masculine looking girl or a guy.

i cant help that my biology seeks big tits and curves because my instinct is that it'd make for a good child rearer. the fact it has a dick doesnt seem to stop my instincts.

you find a man attractive because he grows his hair out, puts on makeup and slaps some plastic tits on his chest

if that isn't gay then you have no idea what gay is

he looks like a 6/10 chick with a strong jaw and a penis, the only reason you find him attractive is the fact that he's a man who happens to look kind of like a woman

Nah. Guy is like a 2 on the scale for liking Bailey

Can we call it 1.5? Baileys not completely a guy or a girl right? Like if all it takes to be a guy is a cock and you can still look like Kim Kardashian or whatever, then I could be attracted to millions of guys who look like girls and I'd never know it until I took their clothes off. Neither could anyone else, we'd all be gay until we pulled the undies off.

>Can we call it 1.5?

Yeah that's fair

We'd all be straight until we pulled the undies off, rather.

I'm pretty sure I saw Baileys pic here and thought it was hot, and Sup Forums tricked me, but at that point I didn't care, I was already turned on. For a bloke he knows how a girl should act to turn me on.

her name?

>A daughter figure is infinitely more valuable than a sex toy. You'll understand one day.

It's kind of scary how true this is.

>Mena Suvari is attractive
I'm related to her and I don't think so.

It's kino.

You were just stupid as a teen, probably still are desu

Still one of my top favorites.
The movie gave me an emotional reaction at the end that most movies had never before given me.

If you didn't get the same reaction, that's fine. Definitely a matter of whether or not it resonates with you the individual.

>if you dont like it...

Its one of the highest rated movies of all time. Everyone wants to be a superhero who fucks their boss over and smokes pot and has hot girls want to fuck them even though theyre ugly.

I wonder how women react to the movie though. Maybe they just relate to the daughter and the wife and like that both of them get to fuck chads.

You're not meant to be attracted to people you're related to

>her

I don't believe you, pics or didn't happen.
Or at least tell us how is she, why you don't think she is attractive.

Pretty forgettable

says the beta

shes sexier than most actual girls

>that video where you win a contest

hhhh

Imagine the cheerleader turned out to have a dick, now you'd all be as confused as me after wanting to fuck her/him

youtu.be/al21Vtlsg4A

>watched it
>suddenly thought of and understood the reference in Madagascar

instant kinoklassic

Are there people who didn't find this movie good?
The movie is just so well made, it's hard not to like it

First time I saw it I thought it was an incredible masterpiece.
Second time I saw it I thought it was flawed but still quite good.
The next time I saw it years later I realized what fucking junk it is and I couldn't believe I ever thought it was good.
It's probably had the biggest drop off of any film in history, at the time when it was in theaters people talked about it like it was a new Citizen Kane. Now if it's ever mentioned, which isn't often, it's talked about in embarrassment.

was the father of the drug dealer gay? why did he try to kiss Spacey? My take on that was he just wanted to try out what his son was doing since he taught his son was gay. right?

what a cutie pie

what's her name bros?

super closeted, he killed spaceman cause of the kiss and threat of being outed

Every single person involved, including the director, admit now that it was ridiculously over-hyped and didn't deserve the absurd praise it got.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beauty_(1999_film)#Critical_reception

>A few months after the film's release, reports of a backlash appeared in the American press,[187] and the years since have seen its critical regard wane.[188][189] In 2005, Premiere named American Beauty as one of 20 "most overrated movies of all time";[190] Mendes accepted the inevitability of the critical reappraisal, saying, "I thought some of it was entirely justified—it was a little overpraised at the time."[189]

I'm not saying it's terrible, it isn't. But I have no problem saying it is one of the most overrated films of all time, perhaps THE most overrated film of all time. It's a 6.5-7/10 on a good day, and at the time people treated like the cinematic second coming of Christ.

The main message I got from it was that each of us is living life according to the rules, and reasons each of us believes is important to live by.
Whether we like it or not we're trapped in a system of each of our own beliefs.
We die, and all of those reasons we thought were so important die with us, and all that's left is (if there is an afterlife of reflection) we're left to re-experience life as however much pleasure, or pain of our choosing.

Pretty good but scenes with le repressed homosexual marine dad undercut it. All the other characters were well done and had depth and he was just a gimmick. And the ending was hacky contrivance to wrap everything up and put a bow on it. Was not shocked at all to find it was the True Blood guy. He's good at clever writing up to a point, but he can't understand people he dislikes and can't into endings

As a middle aged man I can not see how you could turn down that prime piece of ass, at least give her a few fingers or cunnilingus, to give her nothing will just make the entire situation weird for both of you and fuck her up sexually for a few more years

dRevolutionary Road id it better

its aged horribly

Reminder that Kevin Spacey had ties to Epstein

>dad hates fags
>is a fag

this trope is so tired

This movie would have been perfect if not for the silly father-thinks-son-is-faggot-because-of-a-comic-misunderstanding thing.

Good movie. But the ending is very anti-climaxic. I got really pissed off when he didn't fuck her.

Also fuck the bitch of a daughter.

Pure 16 year old tits kino

film is nearly 20 years old. was a touch fresher then.

man culture has fucking stagnated since 2001

its like we sat on pause. if the movie came out today itd be basically unchanged except theyd have the net, except the weird kid next door would be banned from the net and phones and he'd be some weird instagram nerd who takes photos for likes under an alias with like 20k subscribers

also lol back then taking photos was rare

This

what a tryhard pleb faggot post

how so?
do you mean it's not as relevant today because millennials don't care about having a family and living in the suburbs

I watched it a few months ago for the first time and my thought was that it's like a baby boomer had a midlife crisis and wrote the film but can't imagine what life is like without a self-centered and materialistic worldview.

he became a gross fatty

>THE most overrated film of all time
Pulp Fiction still exists.

Overrated and didn't do anything really remarkable or noteworthy.

It looked nice, I guess.

Disappointing.