What's your opinion on the original Superman movie from 1978, Sup Forums?

What's your opinion on the original Superman movie from 1978, Sup Forums?

Be honest, now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1aQx9hTaE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYTQffU-I8
youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4WD90sQxY
youtube.com/watch?v=TjgsnWtBQm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The best cape film we've had so far.

the only Capeshit that transcends its genre (maybe because its basically the first of its kind?)

Burton Batman films are good too but not nearly as well made.

A true cape 10/10. The tone and casting were just perfect and I believed a man could fly.

>the only Capeshit that transcends its genre

Include Spider-Man 2 and X2 and you're right.

Could use less Margot Kidder talking during the flight sequence, but if you ignore that, 9.9/10.

The best representation of Superman at his core.

No politics. No doubt. He does what is right, helps any way he can, and OWNS it.

fpbp

Interesting interpretation of the Silver and Bronze Age version of the character.
If only Richard Donner could've completed II and made his own version of III.

Good movie until halfway through

Then the plot has to rely on forced stupid shit regarding Lex and his plan

6/10 for me

So many things that the could have done wrong and they did right.

And the things that they did wrong do not hamper the movie so much that it becomes bad.

Still the definitive superhero cinematic score/theme.

It's a huge achievement in how movies flourished, I believed a man could fly. Reeve was fantastic, he honestly was Superman.

Lois Lane was so fucking based. Gave the character more personality than 99% of the comics combined. It's embarrassing how superior Margot Kidder and DCAU Lane are to the source material.

yeah, it is a bit slow by todays standards, but i thought it was the closest thing we have to the idea of superman

This opening with the little kid voice over was perfection. It sets the stage and establishes the tone and pays tribute to the lore PERFECTLY and then blows it all away by going straight into outer space with the biggest best credit sequence of all time. Yea we got Golden Age Fleischer Superman, but now it's the 70's and we're going cosmic too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1aQx9hTaE

THIS

It has almost zero actual plot, wastes a lot of time, and has no tension throughout most of it. The climax is Superman versus a swimming pool.

Reeve looks really good in the suit and the John Williams score is fantastic. That's all it has going for it.

The best cinematic Superman (not counting the Fleischer shorts)

it fuckings sucks.

watched for the first time few weeks ago and aged badly.

in the time of the release the special effects were the reason, but nowadays, it have nothing else, even man of steel is a better movie even when its a 6/10 to the maximum.

>even man of steel is a better movie even when its a 6/10 to the maximum.

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPERBAIT!

>reverse time to save Lois
>doesn't give a fuck about when other people die

Yep, it's a Superman film alright

Its unironically muh superman

I don't care for the interpretation of Kypton, or Jor-El's role in the story (literally brainwashing Clark for over a decade), but otherwise it's fantastic.

I don't know if she's superior to the comics because I probably don't know enough about comics Lois Lane but I will say that at least Margot Kidder actually physically resembled the character, unlike Amy Adams, who didn't even attempt to. DCAU Lois Lane was based though, awesome personality and much prefer her to the DCEU Lois Lane. To be honest I prefer a lot of the DCAU to the DCEU but that's probably not a surprise.

Besides the "reversing time by flying super fast around the planet" part (which is stupid and implausible even for Superman), the movie is basically perfect. 9/10.

The planet changing direction is a visual representation of time going backwards, not the cause ya dingus

>Margot Kidder actually physically resembled the character

What she resembled is fucking Skeletor with that disgusting gaunt face and misshapen head. And that fucking annoying scratchy voice, you just want to drown her.

Nah she was great

She was ugly as fuck and had no chemistry with Reeve (though he was notably stiff).

And whoever wrote this (uh, so the Godfather guy) has never read a comic with Lex Luthor in it once in his life, because he could not have gotten Lex Luthor more wrong if he tried. Even Silver Age Luthor was nothing like that.

Luthor was more comic relief than a threatening villain.

I'm pretty sure you've just never read a Silver Age Luthor comic.

Silver Age Lex Luthor wasn't some sleazy used car salesman type. He was a scientist.

>had no chemistry with Reeve

Their chemistry was literally the highlight of the film for general audiences. Ask people what they remember about the movie and it's the scene where he takes her flying and "You've got me? Who's got you?"

They sounded like kids in a school play.

Not to mention, he knows her for like, a day, and he's already reversing time to save her? Bullshit.

This movie is so frustrating. It doesn't even have a plot, it's a string of scenes with little or nothing to do with each other.

Luthor never really had a personality before this besides grrrrr superman bad, and while its not the luthor we think of today gene hackman was by far the best part of the movie

Well, I do agree that Hackman made the most out of the material given, but it wasn't great material.

Love at first sight bro, even the hands of time can't stand in the way Lois and Clark being together.

>What's your opinion on the original Superman movie from 1978, Sup Forums?

Funny, like the actual Marvel movies

>literally brainwashing Clark for over a decade

Aren't you getting something else confused for the Donnerverse.

I think you might mean S-TAS, since she really isn't in the rest of the DCAU otherwise. And it's difficult to compare multiple seasons of the DCAU to two movies or about not quite 5 hours of films.

We have a happy Superman to serve and save people always with a smile on your face
Eve Teschmacher
Margot Kidder
good special effects, a lightning Metropolis as it should be
Colors!
And a great concept to Krypton, much better than the Krypton of Man of Steel

Reeve, gave life to Clark and Superman

>Clark, different voice, different way of walking, with many mannerisms, flustered, always bent over, always with that sad looking

> Superman, strong voice, confident walk, always with a smile, standing posture

Cavill > same voice, same gait, same body posture to Superman and Clark

She looked like she was his mother. It was creepy.

Reeves is still the defining pop culture image of Superman.

And the Donner Theme is still considered "the" superman theme

When I see Reeves I don't see an actor, I see Superman

Psh.

Sammy Timmberg composed MY Supeman theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYTQffU-I8

9.5/10 it was so ridiculously good. Only BvS surpassed it, but just barely.

Aside from the previously mentioned Lois inner monologue during the flight; I'm not a fan of the kid they got to play teenage Clark, the scene of him running next to the train is the one visual effect that really breaks my immersion, and Otis gets a bit too much screentime.

Other than that I love the movie to death. Wouldn't change a thing.

Lmao BvS

>I'm not a fan of the kid they got to play teenage Clark,

He was one of the things I actually liked about the movie.

Though the Kypton and Smallville stuff took up too much time. Wasn't until an hour and change before we actually got to SEE Superman.

And the first guy who comments on him is a pimp. A literal pimp. In a Superman movie.

The helicopter scene still ranks as my all-time favorite superhero moment on film.

It could've been worse. She could've been singing.

Indeed. Reeve made the Clark Kent disguise work.

>(maybe because its basically the first of its kind?)
It's not even close to being the first.

Why was Superman so edgy? NOT MUH!

I mean, just look at this. Did he ever smile in the entire movie? Why does he look like saving people is such a chore? Ugh. What were they thinking when they made this?

Donner is such a hack! How can anyone find this acceptable?

Tell that to Zod's flat face.

Superman introduces himself as "a friend" to Lois in Superman. Batman introduces himself as "a friend of your son's" to Martha Kent in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Was this a coincidence or did Zack Snyder plan it? It feels like there were other references to Superman riddled in that movie as well.

Its good. Until reverse time shit.

No way bro I thought that was the best part of the movie. Frequently there's the "lol you can't save everyone" meme and I loved seeing Superman smash that in the face using his own willpower. He's the perfect guy to do that with.

I saw it in the movie theater as a child. Opening week.
If I had to pick 5 movies from my pre teen childhood that were the best of the best, this and Empire Strikes Back are in for certain.
The music score alone took the idea of a righteous super hero and kicked it out of the stadium.

If he could fly so fast why couldnt he stop both nukes in the first place?

the ending was retarded

This movie had a few minor flaws and plot contrivances, but the good aspects more than made up for it. It had so many memorable moments, the music and atmosphere was good and the special effects blew me away. The visuals were great too. I couldn't believe how good this movie was.

What?

I appreciate it for what it is but honestly it doesn't do much for me. Superman 2 on the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed. 3 and 4 were ridiculous romps. Superman Returns was a bizarre movie that deserves it's own thread discussion. Man of Steel was a good sci fi movie and an okay Superman movie.

Animated Supes is where it's at.
>Superman vs The Elite (better adaptation of source material)
>Superman/Batman - Wold's Finest (loving adaptation of the Loeb story).
>Superman Doomsday (interesting take on the Doomsday/Death of Superman Arc)
>The entirerty of STAS (establishes the groundwork for the character).
>Justice League and JLU (an older more mature Supes coming to terms with a world that isn't quite as accepting of him as they used to be).

The truth is, even the George Reeves and Smallville also had good themes. Especially when compared to say Adam West's Batman or the previous Batman movies.

Supeman vs The Elite is my favorite Superman movie.

The only flaw is some of the weird character designs.

Superman is lucky to always have pretty damn good music in most, if not all, incarnations.

Even the theme to Lois & Clark is decent: youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4WD90sQxY

No idea. Guess he didn't try hard enough? Or maybe he needed something big to happen to unlock his full potential, like Goku turning into a Super Saiyan when Krillin died.

The dumbest thing about the time reversal is, if he can do it once, he should be able to do it all the time. But if he can do it all the time, there's no tension to Superman stories.

Therefore, it shouldn't have been introduced as an element to begin with.

Because he only cares about Lois Lane, if Lois didn't die he wouldn't give a fuck if another part of the country got nuked.

The easy way to fix it is what they did with Flash in JL:

"I don't think I'll ever be able to go that fast again."

Everything is good except Jor-El's inflated role.

The main father figure in Clark's life should be Pa Kent, since he and Ma raise Clark to be a man who would become Superman.

Clark becomes Superman because of the Kents, not some space destiny shit. That "Super Jesus" line of thinking gave us MoS and BvS.

>Aren't you getting something else confused for the Donnerverse.
Nope

Watch it again. Jor-El spends 12 years "teaching" him.

>Aren't you getting something else confused for the Donnerverse.

No that's literally what happens

Clark throws the glowing crystal, talks to Jor-El's head, cue trippy montage, next thing you know Reeve is already in the suit and "twelve years have passed".

Most people forget this

And Superman Returns

The Batman '66 theme may not be the most mythic but it's the catchiest

nanananananananananananana

you fucking faggot, this movie was a huge deviation from how Superman was in the comics at the time, or really any time except for a brief period in the Silver Age.

78 Superman is the best the character has been.

Supergirl's version is a close second, that one was fucking amazing and the current films should be ashamed a TV superman is better

>inflated role

They paid Brando millions, more for his few minutes of actual screen time/dialogue than the rest of the cast combined, plus. So they had to give him something to do. This is really no different than what happens with other shows. RDJ will now get more screen time in Marvel as he has since Avengers 1 because of what he gets paid. Thus Ultron as the story line versus anything else available in comic books. Thus Civil War the way it was written for Cap 3.

Reeve is the best Superman... This is a true superman movie..

>how dare people disagree with me

And yet Brando yammered on with a delivery that screamed, "This is for a paycheck."

>78 Superman is the best the character has been.
It was good, but not the best.

>Supergirl's version is a close second
Wow. Not even close.

Great casting but overall highly overrated.

>He should be able to do it all the time.

Silver Age Superman traveled backwards and forwards in time constantly. He used it more than his heat vision.

>no tension to Superman stories

Not into Doctor Who?

>Space destiny shit

Actually Elliot S! Maggins Superman was the chosen one of the Universe. See the Sword of Superman.

It's great, though not as action packed as one might be used to now days.
Lex Luthor's plan was retarded, but history has shown that all movie Lex's plans will be retarded so either this one started that trend or it is just the bar that movies make.

It made us believe a man can fly, and still meets that hopeful happy feeling it advertised all those decades ago.

and yet no other comic or show or movie has defined the public image quite as much as this

Because "public image" is directly related to normies who don't and never will read comics.

Yes, because God forbid anyone disagrees with not liking other DC movies too.

being elitist, and ignoring the opinions of most people, is the fastest way to irrelevance

How is that elitist? It's just the truth. A comic, regardless of its quality, will never be the public image because normies don't read comics. You're just trying to find an excuse to ignore truth by using labels. Just like the SJWs.

>78 Superman not Silver Age

There was a bronze age Superman? I thought he Silver Age characterization stuck until Byrne's Man of Steel?

Huh... That actually makes that scene a lot more plausible

That makes sense, but in the movie after going back in time, superman fly the the other way arround a couple of times as if he is physically moving the earth back into the normal timeflow.

Because you think you're superior due to reading children's comic books. Grow up a little.

Forgot vid. youtube.com/watch?v=TjgsnWtBQm0

Did you anons not even see the movie? He was able to fly fast enough to go back in time because the emotional element of Lois dying made him push himself harder than he ever had before and harder than he thought was possible. Same as pic related, same as Superman rocking Darkseid in the DCAU JL fight, same as fucking Samson pulling the pillars down. it's a common trope in hero stories throughout history.

Haven't watched this century yet so I think I'm going to watch it tonight.