So, after years of avoiding it, I recently decided to embrace the wonderfully horrific world of fan fiction...

So, after years of avoiding it, I recently decided to embrace the wonderfully horrific world of fan fiction. What would you say are some of the best fanfics of all time you've ever read? What's the worst? How many were actually finished? (Doesn't necessarily have to be Sup Forums)

Next part is spoilered because it's just my boring analysis on what I've read so far.
Over the last few months, I've read roughly a few dozen or so fan fics, and out of what I've read, to be completely honest, I'd say that:
10% was amazing
20% was pretty good
20% was decent
35% was mediocre
15% was complete dreck

Of course, the reason I haven't read that many bad ones is both because I haven't read too many and I know to avoid something if I can tell it will be horrible, for example, I'm not going to read a fanfiction called "[Character]'s Big Butt Farting"(yes, that was an actual fanfic someone made)
With over half of all of those being unfinished, something I noticed happens a lot.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/5716948/1/Trapped
fanfiction.net/s/5811227/1/Sea-of-Broken-Dreams
fanfiction.net/s/7990962/1/Snake-Oil
fanfiction.net/s/11825080/1/Zootopia-the-Musical-A-to-ZPD-feat-Benjamin-Clawhauser
fanfiction.net/s/10973765/1/AntiGravity-Falls
fanfiction.net/s/6190250/1/The-Worst-Of-You
fanfiction.net/s/2121482/1/Tower
fanfiction.net/s/3316094/1/No-Such-Counsel
fanfiction.net/s/3413734/1/The-Death-of-Haruhi-Suzumiya
fanfiction.net/s/1712714/1/The-Twelve-Labors-of-Cyborg
fanfiction.net/s/4349923/1/Content-To-Be-Cursed
therobotsvoice.com/2010/01/fan_fiction_friday_wolverine_cyclops_and_jean_grey.php
parahumans.wordpress.com/fanfiction/
fanfiction.net/s/8342129/1/Hipster-Rugrats-What-Have-You-Done
youtube.com/watch?v=rYvzbeMwpjw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used to love the Fan Fiction Fridays section of the Topless Robot blog back in mid to late 2000's. That was my only experience with fan fiction.

fanfiction.net/s/5716948/1/Trapped

The Daria fandom is very refinated and some times produces very interesting fanfiction

You and I are brothers

I think I still have the shirt I won from one of the contests when Rob was still in charge.

>What would you say are some of the best fanfics of all time you've ever read?

fanfiction.net/s/5811227/1/Sea-of-Broken-Dreams

fanfiction.net/s/7990962/1/Snake-Oil

fanfiction.net/s/11825080/1/Zootopia-the-Musical-A-to-ZPD-feat-Benjamin-Clawhauser

fanfiction.net/s/10973765/1/AntiGravity-Falls

fanfiction.net/s/6190250/1/The-Worst-Of-You

fanfiction.net/s/2121482/1/Tower

fanfiction.net/s/3316094/1/No-Such-Counsel

fanfiction.net/s/3413734/1/The-Death-of-Haruhi-Suzumiya

fanfiction.net/s/1712714/1/The-Twelve-Labors-of-Cyborg

fanfiction.net/s/4349923/1/Content-To-Be-Cursed

there are some good ones try looking on the tvtropes recomended fanfic list for the series you're intrested in. a lot of them are bad and put there by the author for self promotion but average quality of the fics in the list is a lot higher than what you'll find just browsing through the ff.net archive

I find it so hard to find good fanfiction that I rarely read it tbqh.

I don't know if I just expect too much but I don't read anything that has:
>non canon shipping/yaoi or yuri shipping
>characters acting ooc
>If the summary reads "I'm not good at summaries but please read" I won't even give it a chance
>If hell exists my personal hell would be, to be forced to read "High School AU" versions of [show] for eternity.
>first person point of view is never good. The author almost nevers captures the character correctly but is instead self inserting as the character and voicing their own opinions and how they would act.
>Any "M" rated fanfic where the sex scene has the guy having an 18 inch dick with unlimited stamina or the girl being a virgin yet taking penis like a champ. This is especially important because most people have no idea how to write sex scenes as they focus on the lust and their constant need to one up the level of arousal (resulting in unrealistic sex scenes) instead of focusing on the sensuality of the sex scene. This is the difference between a Michael Bay movie Vs. A Tarkovsky
>cliches (girl is married off, runs away, becomes evil, etc etc)

And last but not least, the absolute bane of ALL fanfiction
>OC's

Refinated?

I blame Fanfics as one of the big reasons why I'm was socially inept through high school and have an undefinable quirk.

>First thing is a disclaimer
>Second is song lyrics
Generic FF opening.
>Fucking They Might Be Giants
>Posting Tmbg lyrics unironically
> Stomp box of all songs, a barely audible mess of sounds meant for Tmbg to have fun with.
Yeah I can't do this user.

therobotsvoice.com/2010/01/fan_fiction_friday_wolverine_cyclops_and_jean_grey.php

This is hands down the best fan fic ever.

Pic may be second best.

that first is definitely you having too high of standards, a lot of the best fanfic involves non-canon shipping and/or yuri(although yaoi almost always ends up awful for some reason)

>Doesn't necessarily have to be Sup Forums
Where do you think you are?

you can also check out spacebattles' creative writing section they're not all winners but the quality of the fics there is a lot higher than the ones in fanfiction .net. if you liked worm the author has a list of fanfics on his site some of the fics on th list and the index he linked on that page are pretty good. parahumans.wordpress.com/fanfiction/

>Scoot Summers
>It's pure pansy!
>Arch of Trumph
>“Oh mon h?ros!!!!” she huged Wolverine so firmly and affectionately.
>"what in god’s name is going on" bolded and in huge text

I've read this so many times and I crack up every time.

OP here:

>non canon shipping/yaoi or yuri shipping
Same, I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to shipping, only really supporting the canon ones.*
>characters acting ooc
Ditto
>If the summary reads "I'm not good at summaries but please read" I won't even give it a chance
Those are usually super short or half finished, I give it a very quick skim of the first chapter and decide from there. Of course, that only happens rarely because, get this, the sunmary doesn't entice me enough to read it. Usually I drop it.
>"High School AU"
This, so VERY much
>first person point of view is never good.
Once again, I agree.*
>Any "M" rated fanfic where the sex scenes are unrealistic
I hate these, always skip them.
>cliches
Same
>OC's
Couldn't agree more. An OC is okay if it is a minor background character used to move the story along, like a shop vendor, but any greater is horrible.

Another thing I really hate is the "a group of friends find themselves transported into the world of the series" schtick, never giving that one a chance.

*One fanfic I have in mind is actually one of the best ones I've read, and is both technically in first person and has a non canon pairing. The first person works because it isn't REALLY first person, just every instance of that character's name outside dialogue being replaced with "I" or "me". Secondly, the pairing is only a minor focus of the story, and is worked up slowly and realistically overtime from where their relationship is in canon, which is only kicked off because of the life altering situation the main character finds themself in, all while managing to stay in character. It certainly helps that it was truly a result of the natural progression of the story and not the author inserting their dumb opinions, seeing as even the AUTHOR didn't support the pairing. Any other time, you're right, though.

And no, I'm a tad bit embarrassed to say the name of the fic, it being Sup Forums among other reasons.

What was that thing authors threw in there summary along the lines of
>Don't like, Don't read, Don't review

Those authors back then got so butt hurt over nothing. Sup Forums makes Tumblr seem the most sensitive bitches to ever graze the Internet.

>after digging through mountains of shit you finally find a good fanfic
>find out that the story isn't finished and the author vanished years ago
>you'll never ever get an ending

Mother. Fucking. Hipster. Rugrats.

fanfiction.net/s/8342129/1/Hipster-Rugrats-What-Have-You-Done

Well now I wanna know what the fic was user

I don't read a lot of fanfic, mainly because I only look 'em up related to ships I like, and most shipping fics are pretty bad. I can't stand ooc behavior or implausible plot developments that move way too fast (Ooh we're enemies! But you're just so hot! Let's fuck right now!").

I do feel there must be some real gems there somewhere, and I did read one pretty nice fic for a ship of mine, but of course it hasn't updated in nearly a year.

M8, fan fiction is all about selfish wish fulfilment. Before you can start asking people for reccomendations you have to figure out what you want.
You wanted that one bad guy to become a good guy? There's a fic of that. You wanted theb heroes to go to that one place? Theres a fic of that. You wanted those two characters to end up together? I guaran-fuckin-tee theres a fic of that.
Get greedy lad, get in touch with your most selfish desires.

I spent a whole lot of highschool reading fanfiction.

Mostly Naruto or FLCL or other animes (and mostly lemon)

Half of it was due to the fact my PSP had a web browser that couldn't even handle a .gif
But pages of text? NO PROBLEM
So I'd usually have all 3 PSP tabs with a page of down fanfic I was reading and have something to read during class.

Some of it was pretty good.

Any piece of fanfiction that's actually, genuinely good could just replace the canon characters with original, similar characters, thus turning into its own original story.

But fanfiction is rarely good (if ever) so it has to ride on the existing fandom that already exists for these shows.

I usually go through fanfiction binges when I find myself following a series I get really invested in. It all started with Kingdom Hearts long ago, when I was in middle school and that was brief but still set me on a path down degeneracy. Then it was Homestuck. I never looked for original stories, just shipping shit. Otherwise if any show has any smutworthy potential I look up some written stuff but its often in very underwhelming amounts and quality.

Ao3 is pretty great for finding exactly what you want to find.

She Wants the B
youtube.com/watch?v=rYvzbeMwpjw