Doctor Who General /who/

SEXY edition

died from an STDL

Other urls found in this thread:

starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4597-interview-chris-chibnall-part-2-doctor-who-and-beyond
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87465633/#q87473169
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87654521/#q87657638
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87465633/#q87480690
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87712316/#q87713886
bigfinish.com/offers/v/k940
twitter.com/cbbc/status/911218785964630016
telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9630277/Doctor-Who-legend-Russell-T-Davies-returns-to-childrens-TV-with-Wizards-Vs-Aliens.html
dailymotion.com/video/x3lgcfs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why does this picture piss me off so much? I get angry every time I see it. Is it the hair? Is it the ridiculously high contrast? Is it because Matt looks smug as fuck and has a weird face?

Luckily I find that when people grasp the difference between audio plays and audiobooks they often really like the former even if they don't really like the latter.

Doctor Who's managed having multiple crews before (sometimes it blows me away when I think back and remember a time when THREE Doctor Who shows were airing in the same years, RTD really managed a true television empire back then) but yeah it certainly isn't in the state to support it now, it would be a tough sell, and I think it would be difficult to find the best way to position and market it. Obviously I'd be fucking ecstatic if it somehow happened but it won't.

I haven't watched much of his earlier work but basing things off Broadchurch and some of his work on DW/TW,

*he loves writing ensembles and will do his best to contort shows/episodes into being ensemble even if the premise doesn't really lend itself to that,

*he likes empathising with every character (that sounds trite but it's not a completely common thing, it's noticeable how he tries to humanise some truly despicable people in Broadchurch, and you can see it in eps like The Hungry Earth and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship too when he really doesn't seem to have that kind of authorial condemnation of unpleasant characters),

*he likes using procedural drama as a blueprint for stories (I'm sure this is part of why he worked on Law and Order UK), this is most obvious in how Broadchurch wears its influences on its sleeve and uses them as a sort of plot fallback (he's clearly more interested in characters than plots, see The Power of Three also, hence using very structured procedural-styled plots underneath so he can move to the stuff he's interested in more quickly) but you can see it in TW a lot too. I'm interested how his obviously huge fanboyism will clash with what seems to be his natural mode of storytelling (light on mythology+intricate plot, heavy on character)

Objectively the best OP image. I can't believe Edge actually drew this

Third for Baphomet.

probably because it looks legitimately like a hollywood-tier movie poster, which jars with the doctor who brand, as opposed to plain old modest TV posters, or earnestly botched attempts at a movie poster style
plus the fact that he looks like an easter island statue

1/2

Another thing about Chibnall I've noticed in interviews, and I think this might play into why it's taking so long for S11 to film, is that he's very particular about control. RTD wasn't like that, he was a pragmatic procrastinator with an enormous talent for creating successful TV. Moffat isn't like that, he's very keenly aware of how things change in planning stages to actual production, look at his comments about S6 and the 50th to see how aware of it he is. But Chibnall seems very firm about it. Not as a naive thing, but in that it's more important to him to have more control over the finished product, even if it comes at the expense of other things.

A few quotes

>The Beast Below is probably one of Steven’s best ever scripts, and the production of it was so not what was in the script. I remember watching that and thinking, ‘Oh,’ because it’s a really beautiful, operatic visual piece of writing. It’s bigger than The End of the World, but actually the way the visuals went, something wasn’t quite right on the production of that. The tone of it is odd as well, the tone of it is not the tone of the script. And tone is something that often goes unrecognised as a key component in things. I think it’s always fascinating.

Look at his comments about the Silurian episodes here too starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4597-interview-chris-chibnall-part-2-doctor-who-and-beyond He is very stuck on the cuts and how the episode changed in prod and editing.

Look at how he's handled spoiler culture for Broadchurch and the rumours of how he's gonna handle DWSR too, he's very firm on trying to cultivate a certain experience for a show rather than how RTD would privilege press and marketing over story at times, and how Moff would retreat just to the more writing side of showrunner duties and pick his battles when it came to spoilers (see Simm reveal this year for example).

2/2

The big quote from Chibnall I find interesting on that matter is this

>But some of this is because I’m also a very hands-on executive producer from pre-production to tx, I’m involved in all the decisions, from design to casting to lighting to cuts to music. So on my own pieces now, like Broadchurch, I help deliver the show we’ve promised to make, that we intended to make. And that’s the hard bit, really. The biggest pitfall in television production is the gap between intention and execution. It’s a very strange and complex process and it has to be shepherded through very gently and delicately, but also with a degree of toughness. A million things can go wrong, from first idea to final edit, and most often they’re not anybody’s fault. Everybody’s trying as hard as they can, working as hard as they can.

> You can’t really judge things by whether people like them; it’s like what your intent is, and how far do you get to achieving your intent. It’s the hardest thing to do in TV, to achieve what you set out to achieve, and that’s why, for me, something like Dinosaurs works, because it delivers what we set out to deliver. Steven wanted a fast, funny blockbuster romp with incredible scale and we managed to do that. Then, you get The Power of Three which is entirely different: much more intimate in its intent but I also think it delivers what it promises: time with the Ponds, and an examination of their developing relationship with the Doctor and each other.

>And maybe that’s the thing about the first season of Torchwood, it doesn’t quite deliver what it’s trying to deliver, because we’re trying to work out what it is and how we do it on time and to budget, and it’s thirteen episodes from nothing.

>So that’s what you aim for, and I think for me, what I’m excited about and terrified about with Broadchurch, is I feel it’s very close to what I intended, and I don’t know whether people will like that

(of course, Broadchurch ended up being a huge success)

>taking the opinions of neo seriously
>the user who is literally a pedo

Yikes

I know you said you were just joking around and that it was bantz, but the fact that you post this image first or second in every single new thread, it makes me feel like you genuinely don't like the character or RTD.

Maybe I'm just seeing things athat aren't there but this amount of commitment t "bantz" seems a little odd.

I don't even see how the image is bantz, let alone anything caustic or aggressive. It's a meme I'm not alone in finding funny, that's all it is, and I'm happy how it came together with being exactly 9 images so it fit into a lovely neat cinegrid.

You're free to think whatever you want about how I feel about RTD and Martha, but I've said my feelings on both of them plenty of times (you can even search in the archives if you are that curious) and they're both far from negative. Sure I have some issues with them, but my overall feelings are absolutely positive, especially for RTD, who is an extraordinarily skilled man. I referenced his book multiple times in a university course of mine because it's such a valuable work on psychological motivations for creativity and the understanding of writing as a pragmatic art. I literally just called him enormously talented in this thread less than ten minutes ago.

Do these actual words of mine, instead of baseless assumptions, make it seem like I hate RTD?
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87465633/#q87473169
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87654521/#q87657638

Do these actual words of mine make it seem like I hate Martha?
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87465633/#q87480690
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/87712316/#q87713886

You can think what you want, but I think it makes a tonne more sense to actually judge me from what I say, not some theory cooked up about ideas I don't even hold

Well then you find that image extraordinarily funny I guess. Easier to believe you're making fun of the character than that you just fine it THAT funny.

if we see me/ashildir in s11 im necking myself im so sick of that quasimodo loockin ass jack rip off

Almost through the first book of Interference, and I'm enjoying it immensely so far. Also, Fitz joining Faction Paradox?! The absolute fucking madman.

>neo finds a seemingly pointless meme funny
but it can't be...

I don't see how making fun of someone necessitates that I "genuinely don't like them". I make fun of Lym for his goth girl fixation, he makes fun of me for watching Claudia, we both do that more often than anyone posts the "it can't be meme", do you think Lym and I "genuinely don't like" each other?

This is so far removed from what I'd consider banter but it's the same principle, light-hearted teasing, ribbing, flirting, playing, and indeed bantering, all of these things are playful, not cruel or negative. Online there can be easy miscommunications in tone since all you really have to go off is text, so I get misunderstandings like this happening, but in person the only people I've found to truly not understand playful teasing on any level are painfully egocentric people who can't comprehend people being secure enough in themselves to enjoy that sort of back-and-forth, or foreigners who lacked any sort of similar culture for it.

A meme getting reposted on Sup Forums is an extremely normal occurrence. Teasing and being playful are an even more normal occurrence, one of the most common social actions in existence. Me making a post longer than it should be in trying to explain myself, perhaps misguidedly, is possibly also an all too common occurrence.

>McGanon enjoys an EDA
But it can't be...

It's the hair. It looks ridiculous, possibly photoshopped out of proportion, and unlike any style he's ever actually had in the show.

I wonder if I'll ever read an EDA I don't like. Even the ones I felt dragged on a bit still had enough positives for me to look on them favourably.

I used to feel that way about the audios, then I hit pic related

Oh by the way, not sure if you know, but after you finish Chimes of Midnight, there's a cute minisode after it but before the next actual story (which is also GOAT), it's called "Living Legend". Only ~25min. Comfy. It's on VK if you can't find it elsewhere.

How could I dislike any audio in which I get to listen to McGann's voice for the duration of it?

Also, I already had that minisode downloaded but I wasn't too sure where to slot it in amongst the other stuff. I doubt it would've mattered, but I didn't want to risk listening out of order if there were somehow spoilers in it.

There's also a Charley CC you can listen to after Embrace the Darkness. It doesn't have McGann's voice, though.

It was released a while later but yeah, slots in between The Chimes of Midnight and Seasons of Fear neatly.
If you wanted to get wild, the Charley companion chronicle "Solitare" slots between Embrace the Darkness and The Time of the Daleks, later in that season, but it came out years later and it's nbd to just listen to it later.

Ah, that's okay, India's got a lovely voice herself. though that's a creepy as fuck puppet on the cover

Something I like to do with the audio EDAs, although I'm sure most people would prefer not doing this, is put the Susan CC "Quinnis" before Relative Dimensions, since it sets up a lot of the story for it, gives Susan more characterisation in that series where she's real important, elaborates on their connection so the differences between 1 and 8 are more pronounced, and puts a little more distance between the 8/Lucie reunion for when it comes.

People bitch about moff making clara important but i hardly ever see people complain that he made stupid fucking retard ashildir the hybrid. fuck this gay earth

Me wasn't the Hybrid

The Beast Below failed as an episode because whole concept of flying species of space whale that hurtles through space rescuing civilisations who are stuck on dying planet was crap to begin with. People can only 'suspend' so much disbelief ...

12 and Clara were together the Hybrid, they literally explain this in dialogue

>failed as an episode
In your opinion. It is well regarded critically and got good ratings relative to the series.

that's absolutely not why the episode fails, user

I JUST REALLY FUCKING HATE ASHILDIR OKAY

I DONT CARE IF SHE'S THE HYBRID OR NOT SHE WAS ONLY PUT IN THE SHOW TO TYPECAST QUASIMODO AS A VIKING LADY BECAUSE GAME OF THRONES AMIRITE GUYS?!?!?!?

I JUST FUCKING HATE SHITHOLE CHARACTER FUCKING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JACK WAS SO MUCH BETTER, ASHILDIR IS THE WORST THING THAT LITERALLY EVER HAPPENED IN NUWHO PROVE ME FUCKING WRONG I DARE YOU.

>SHE WAS ONLY PUT IN THE SHOW TO TYPECAST QUASIMODO AS A VIKING LADY BECAUSE GAME OF THRONES AMIRITE
Moffat came up with the character as he was developing the story for series 9, then Brian Minchin suggested casting Maisie Williams in the role.

why do people blame moff for everything baka

also sorry for the gothposting i needed to bump

what did he mean by this

>trip with trips replying to a trip with trips
>trips in the filesize

NEAT

stop jessposting

also why does jenna look like sasha grey here?

>replying to jessposting with jennaposting

We've had 4 years of jennaposting reeeee

I too wonder that.
Neo may be many things, but he definitely isn't an user.

i only started coming here during s10 so i have about 4 years to make up for.

same though

can't we live in harmony?

FOUR
MORE
YEARS

>ywn get drunk with jenna at a bar

>Karen Gillan was found wandering around a New York hotel completely naked and absolutely smashed while whining and softly crying

What happened to her, lads?

Reminder Edge lurks in every thread silently

found matts coke stash

reminder both the cloisters do coke

Imagine being this hung up about a character who has not appeared in 2 years.

im doing a rewatch

That was a made up story.

It's unbelievable that no pictures were taken.

This does not make any sense at all. This is not canon.

When will this be on TV?

>Ywn spin with Jenna

river men 7rh doctor

>she will never look at you like this

I'm lurking in the stream
t. daybeenanon

>It's on VK
It's FREE on Big Finish

I want to watch some Doctor Who today. Thoughts?

t. Nilso

I didn't say that but I agree w/ the sentiment

Oh. Then...t. Raxim?

Adult Life Skills today on stream
starring Jodie Whittaker as infantile woman hanging out with children

Presumably in 3-4 hours

>(((hanging out)))

Yikes.

Vengeance on Varos has just started on /cws/

Watch anything interesting before it?

Couple of Limmy Show sketches and the demonstration of Eric Saward's bloodlust, which actually put me in the mood for Varos.

Nothing else?

No, I don't think so.

Oh, I don't think so. No, dear me, no.

Great movie.

sexy edition?

Reminder

bigfinish.com/offers/v/k940

Type "marius" in here, and K9 drops the price on a load of Big Finish audios! Fun little sale commemorating that K9 turns 40 next month.

Is someone there?

Who is that?

You may be THE First Doctor, but I am A First Doctor. An unoriginal, you might say.

Name me exactly 13 reasons why you are still not Dead.

*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*
*breathes out*
*breathes in*

I laughed.

wsspb?

ty. I'm gonna get the Gallifrey ones but skip the 4DA this time.

Wsspb?

Reminder that this is on the official 2018 calendar

Why's she so perfect bros?

Whspb?

This is nice and sweet, RTD giving his thoughts on CBBC re-airing 3 Sarah Jane adventures episodes on the 10th anniversary twitter.com/cbbc/status/911218785964630016

It's nice to see someone be so passionate about something.

Yeah, you can really tell he loves the show and is proud of it. I just like seeing RTD in general these days, he's a lot less in the public eye ever since Who, it's a shame his Who-related career kind of ended in a whimper with Miracle Day.

Did you know he actually wanted to do a graphic novel for Doctor for the 50th, but the BBC said no? Damn shame

>“Don’t ask me about the 50th anniversary [in November 2013], because it’s nothing to do with me,” he says. “I’m just a happy viewer now. This’ll teach me though – I did ask BBC Books if they fancied a graphic novel, and they went, ‘No’. I sat here thinking, I could write a graphic novel, I could even draw the graphic novel, that’d be brilliant… No. There we are then, I tried.” ( telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9630277/Doctor-Who-legend-Russell-T-Davies-returns-to-childrens-TV-with-Wizards-Vs-Aliens.html )

I really, really liked Cucumber though, and am looking forward to whatever he does next.

Anyone got a link to watch a recon for part 4 of the crusade?

dailymotion.com/video/x3lgcfs Enjoy!

Perfect, thanks Neo!

How many doctors after jodie do you think will be female? (if the show doesn't get cancelled)

Or will they try and up the ante with a trans/genderfluid/non-gengered etc. doctor?

I think they'll start alternating between male and female Doctors.

e.g. 13 and 14 will be female, 15 will return to being male, 16 will be female, then we'll get a brief run of male Doctors with 17 and 18, and so on and so forth.

Do we actuaĺly know how many regenerations did time lords grant the Doctor?

It was left ambiguous on purpose so that he can keep regenerating forever

no but it would be stupid if it's infinite.

No, the implication is it was just another standard cycle as the Doctor refers to it just as a "new regeneration cycle" (and Moffat probably intended it as that) but Rassilon notably asks in Hell Bent "how many regenerations did we grant you?" leaving it vague as to the actual number - leaving room for future writers to elaborate on it if they'd like to. He can regenerate forever if writers want, and they can say the Time Lords gave him tonnes and tonnes of regenerations, or he can just have another batch and writers down the line can do another story to get him new regenerations.

Will we ever get a proper genesis of Time lord society story?

Not on TV, no. It would just involve a big infodump instead of an exciting plot.

books are canon

not you again