DR YUEH I'M HOUSE ATRIEDIES

DR YUEH I'M HOUSE ATRIEDIES

>Somehow got the house (of which there are only two extremely prominent ones in the film) wrong.
ONE
FUCKING
JOB

MENTAT PAVEL I'M ATREIDES

FOR HE IS THE KKSHQ'DRAQA

FAAAAAYDE LOVELY FAYDE

I tried watching this movie the other night, I turned it off after what seemed like hours and it had only been 45 minutes.

Uh..You don't get to bring Shadukar.

I thought the sets, makeup and even the effects were nice but the butchered and simplified story ruined everything. When you read Dune it feels really fresh but in the movie, things like the training scenes and fights just feels like you're going through the motions of a generic film.

Was using the weirding way part of your plan?

>Fayde

>inb4 someone claims Jodorowky's Dune would have been a masterpiece and not an incoherent, unprofessional mess
>b-but Alejandro said it would have orson welles and dali t-that automatically means it would be good!

It would have been a disaster, sure, but perhaps a more entertaining disaster than Lynch's.

Not that I dislike Lynch's version.It certainly had great sets, and (most) of the costumes looked great

The stillsuits are legitimately a great design, I wish the sardaukar weren't jut wearing bin bags though

They should have an imperial look

>mfw I just read dune and watched the movie right after finishing

Does anyone know how much Dune grossed internationally, they only ever show the domestic numbers, I have a feeling it actually didn't flop and Dino de (((Laurentis))) did some Hollywood accounting

I TURNED MYSELF INTO A WORM, DUNCAN

I'M SHAI HULUD LETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I must not meme. Memes are the mind killer. Memes are the little death that brings total obliteration

>mfw I never read Dune and watched the movie
fixed that for you, the movie is great as a visual component to the book

Uh, you don't get to bring gholas

Lynch's cameo always gets a laugh out of me for some reason, I think it's because his accent clashes so much with everyone else in the film

>Liet Kynes
>I'm Tlei'laxu Face Dancer.

Hellooooooooooo fremen!

I was looking forward more to the retelling of the story more than the visual elements

Aesthetically it was stunning breathing new life into the book but god damn if I hate how rushed the story was

>tfw can't talk about Dune with anyone else but Sup Forums

It really needed to be a two parter but that wasn't really a thing back then, if they adapted now they'd definitely break it up into multiple films but only for max profit rather than doing justice to the book. It doesn't help that Dune is just slightly too weird for general audiences

Litterally shit the movie. DUNE need to be a 4 part movie epic or a tv seriea

How do /lit/ feel about it when they're not sniffing their own farts?

Compared to the Moebius design, yeah they are quite literally rubbish.

>How do /lit/ feel about it when they're not sniffing their own farts?
I wouldn't know, I've genuinely never considered even opening that board up.

considering torrenting the SciFy TV miniseries ("Frank Herbert's Dune") because Sup Forums keeps saying good things about it

the introductory harkonnen scene was borderline experimental filmmaking.

You've never wanted to bathe in the blood of one of your twinkboi slaves?

WE WUZ KWIZZATZ HADDERACH AND SHIT!

they forgot that the Fremen also wear hooded cloaks over them

>there will never be a Dune animated series/film using a fucked up script written by Jodorovsky and animated by Moebius.

>It is not by will alone that he sets his mind in motion

did any other major hollywood prodcution come even close to dune in terms of having balls and boldness?

unironically the phantom menace

not even close. the 3d glasses meme doesn't hide the fact it's just another empty, by-the-book flick for brats.

This, Cameron went ABSOLUTE MADMAN and it paid off

He's a big sandworm.

There was a video on YouTube which was the film cut up with all the internal dialogue being played while the frames are frozen. It was quite interesting as an audiobook/web comic hybrid due to the freeze frame pacing.

The aesthetic of Lynch's Dune was cool but I hope the Villeneuve Dune does a better job of capturing the arabic feel of the fremen since I didn't get that at all from Lynch. Put some cool robes over the stillsuits.

and unnecessary shit like that fag having big eyebrows just to show it was a big budget hollywood film. every scene stinks of superficiality

But even if we do get a good Dune movie from villeneuve is anyone else worried we wont about the sequels? I would love to see everything up to God Emperor at least on film but god damn will that be hard to pull off

He's the head of House Harkonnen dumbass

I find it hilarious that Jodo bribed Orson Welles with food.

>filename

hi jay

Why are they doing this almost 200 years after Muad'Dib's death?
Actually, Duncan Idaho is the one character I could see being played by a black actor.
For the movie, Lynch's stillsuits were okay. But as stillsuits, they were awful. They really needed the mask, hood, and cloak.
And the Sardaukar were actually wearing used body bags, not trash bags. It should be a trilogy, just like the novel is split.
The Sci-Fi miniseries is a little low-rent, but it's actually a pretty good adaptation. Before you make too much fun of this, Baron Harkonnen was totally a gay pedophile. They even try to assassinate him with a poison needle in a slave boy's thigh.
This is good. Jodoworski's Dune film would have been a complete fucked-up disaster. The Moebius animation is an interesting idea though.
Both of these. They were HUGE passion projects and the directors could do whatever TF they wanted, for good or ill.
Goddamn I want to see the opening of GEoD on a movie screen. People running through the woods, getting picked off by giant wolves, over the opening credits. Mmmboy.

>the Sardaukar were actually wearing used body bags
Those were the guild navigator uniforms

Oh shit, you're right. Weren't they both wearing body bags tho?

It could be possible, it' such a bizarre thing to have happened

A FUCKING WORM

It's not often discussed, at least when I go there. They force sci-fi and fantasy into a containment thread, so they have more room for unfunny memes about Infinite Jest and ham-fisted, pseudointellectual Sup Forums trolling. The containment thread holds a generally favorable opinion of it, though. IIRC it's on the recommended list under classics.

BIG

HARKONNEN

SANDWORM

LITTLE

ATREIDES

SANDTROUT

Please Sup Forums, dump all your Dune art. Especially the still suit freemen and deserts

/lit/ is unbearable and it's become gradually worse, they really don't seem to read anything outside of Pynchon or DFW. Sometimes one encounters brief allusions to Russian writers that they seem to find the names of cool-sounding, but such little substance that it's obvious few have really read them. I wouldn't even start with philosophy or theology there or /his/ either

Sup Forums has had a few discussions of Dune in the past but it's mostly just people spamming memes

literal trashbags hahaha

Racing along a hilly desert near a large rock formation, and we are -

INT. LAND CRUISER JOSTLING OVER UNEVEN TERRAIN - NIGHT

Three Hooded Men guarded by men in stillsuits. A third man drives. Next to him is a nervous, greying man.

EXT. SANDS, ABANDONED SIETCH - NIGHT

A small flat of sand in front of an abandoned Sietch, old and dilapidated.
A bland Harkonnen Officer, flanked by Harkonnen Guardsmen, stands in front of an ornithopter.
Harkonnen Man watches the Land Cruiser pull up, hard. The stillsuited men jump out of the vehicle.
The Driver shoves the bespectacled man in front of the Harkonnen Man.

HARKONNEN MAN
Dr. Yueh, I'm House Harkonnen.

Dr. Yueh nods, nervous. Harkonnen man hands the Driver a briefcase.

DRIVER
He wasn't alone.
Harkonnen Man, confused, spots the Hooded Men. He turns to Dr. Yueh.

HARKONNEN MAN
You don't get to bring friends.

DR. YUEH
(SHAKEN)
They are not my friends.

DRIVER
Don't worry, no charge for them.

HARKONNEN MAN
Why would I want them?

DRIVER
They were trying to grab your
prize. (Smiles.) They work for the
Fremen. The blue-eyed man.

HARKONNEN MAN
(EXCITED)
MUAD'DIB?

The Driver nods. Harkonnen Man turns to his Harkonnen Guardsmen.

HARKONNEN MAN
Get 'em on board - I'll call it in.

this is accurate. the mini-series is much more in-line with the book. the effects haven't aged well, but for as weird as it is, it's better than lynch's dunekino.

I just watched the movie yesterday. It was crazy, didn't know what the fuck was happening and then it ended. I've seen most lynch films and that was the craziest one. Great visuals, but it was like watching a show with three seasons condensed into a 2 hour film

I've never read the book btw, and I'll probably pass on it.

An user posted some really cool concept drawings for an animated Dune months ago, but I forgot to save them.

I didn't like the miniseries. Even forgiving the bad effects I feel like for every thing they get right about the source material they change or add something else that's forced and unnecessary.

It's also really fucking boring and overlong /spoiler]

4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 6

1 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3

1>=2 > 4 > 3 {power gap} 5 > 6

As a former Jehovah's Witness that image tickles the shit out of me

Lord of the rings, easily

>three massive films, over 10 hours of footage
>Filmed back to back, if the first one failed it would already be too late to back out
>High fantasy. epic duels between gods, beasts of various types, giants and battles between thousands of troops need to be shown clearly on screen, even during daytime, using late-90s technology
>Over a dozen pivotal characters with character arcs and sub-plots that Beed to be juggled constantly

Lord of the Rings was a rocket ship made put of ducktape. By every measure it should have failed, yet somehow PJ managed to pull it off.

In a different life, if I had ever made a sci-fi show, I would have a ship's bridge like that. I always thought it was really cool that all the senior officers were there, and it rotated around.

Every time I see that scene/control center, I keep hearing carnival music in my head.

fuck