John Carpenter

Which of his films are good?

They Live is pure kino.

the easier question is which are bad, since the majority are kino.

Halloween
The Fog
The Thing
They Live
Escape from NY&Escape from LA

>The Fog
>Escape from LA
No

I recently saw Prince of Darkness and it was pretty great. Only things I didn't like were how long the opening credits went on for and how they kind of shoved in a lot of the quantam physics and religious stuff without really going into detail, although I understand why it's like that.

The Apocalypse Trilogy is pure kino and overall his best work.

>Which of his films are good?

Between Assault on Precinct 13 and They Live, Carpenter didn't make a single shit movie. Some weren't great (Prince of Darkness) but none of them were utterly unwatchable shit. At worst, some of them were "okay". I mean, even Starman, which wasn't my kind of movie at all, I could tell was an alright flick. Only one from that era of his I haven't seen is Elvis, so maybe that one sucked, I dunno.

He didn't start to turn to shit until the 90s. But even then, he managed to slip out In the Mouth of Madness, which is one of his best films. The rest of his 90s output is pretty hard to watch, though.

>No Prince of Darkness
>No Mouth of Madness

Depends if you like his style or not. I like all his films, even Ghost of Mars. I haven't had the courage to watch the ward

but Prince of Darkness is great especially on repeat viewings

Escape from NY
Escape from LA
The Thing
They Live
Vampires

ALL OF EM

everything up to and including in the mouth of madness is kino. The rest will be up to how much you can put up with

The Thing
Big Trouble
In the Mouth of Madness
They Live
Assault on Precinct 13
Prince of Darkness
Starman
Escape From NY
(The Fog)

Disliking escape from LA is pretty damn Reddit. Thought you'd like to know that

I dare say that Carpenter + Russel is THE single best actor + director pairing of the 80's, potentially ever

>ctrl+f
>big trouble in little china
>1 result

You guys are all stupid faggots.

Everything from Dark Star all the way up to In the Mouth of Madness. It's only after that he starts to go downhill.

it's one of his weakest films

you guys don't like his remake of Village of the Damned? C'mon, it has Mark Hamill committing suicide with a hunting rifle

He had the perfect trifecta of slasher/ghost story/alien horror with Halloween, the Fog, and the Thing
Don't like his other movies much except the first half of Escape from New York

>Not Scorsese and De Niro
Close though, love both pairings

>revisit the thread after I forgot I had it running
>ctrl-f "lovecraftian"
>no result
weak