What the fuck was his problem?

What the fuck was his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yPhlWKi9uKQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Feet an headlines.

He was to cool for school.

His parents were killed by the Foot Clan.

*deadlines

His art in the 80s was good, look the Hawk and Dove 1988 mini-series, he went to shit when Marvel bought him.

Honestly there was nothing wrong with him. He did his own thing and received substantial pay for it. Why would he change his style if it brought in big bucks? You would do the same in his position.

Thats because the inker was cleaning up his garbage.

the world wasn't extreme enough

How do you know this?

Why on Earth would his art go to shit just because he works for a different publisher? And he's changed publishers since, including being his own boss, so there should have been a recovery.

But there was none, so the only explanations are that he was always bad (or just good enough) or that he genuinely thinks his style is kewl and beautiful. As he routineley tries to hide anatomy, particularly feet, I think the first option is more likely.

Pouches

Liefeld is such an interesting case.

If he was fast, then I could nearly forgive his bad art, but he's not. (I picked up New52 Hawk & Dove #1 after not looking at his art in nearly 20 years and saw all the same problems he always had: poor blocking, items and such completely changing between panels...)

But, I remember when he was getting big. His style was so striking different that one thought that he'd work out his kinks and become pretty good. He had a lot of potential, but he blew up so quickly that he never had a reason to improve.

The worst part about him is his personality. Have you ever met the guy? I did several times in the early 90s, before and after Image. He is probably one of the nicest, down to earth pros I've ever had a chance to speak to. Why do I call that the worst thing about it? Because I really, fucking really hate his art and how he still gets gigs...but he has this weird charm that makes you nearly feel bad for hating the crap he draws.

nothing

About the items and such not being the same in every panel, I feel like Liefeld just goes "aw fuck, that would look so cool there on him!" as he draws, which might please him, but is inconsistent.

He took credit for making characters that other people made good (Deadpool, Glory, etc.).

He's not Loeb.

>The worst part about him is his personality. Have you ever met the guy? I did several times in the early 90s, before and after Image. He is probably one of the nicest, down to earth pros I've ever had a chance to speak to. Why do I call that the worst thing about it? Because I really, fucking really hate his art and how he still gets gigs...but he has this weird charm that makes you nearly feel bad for hating the crap he draws.
kek

I love the guy, I don't care what anyone says.

>If he was fast, then I could nearly forgive his bad art, but he's not

Hey man, he tries to get those deadlines done.

youtube.com/watch?v=yPhlWKi9uKQ

he's a fucking menace!

The worst thing about him isn't him, but how much people liked him. People loved that shit in the 90s, and they couldn't print enough. Other older, better, and more experienced artists humiliated themselves in order to ape his style. I've got nothing against the man himself. Even Jack Kirby had a lot of artistic flaws.

A lot of artists handicapped their own art trying to be more "Kirby-ish" as well.
Sometimes a medium just needs a complete break with ye olden style, even if it's shocking or not completely competent, just to breathe new life into it and allow for growth.
I think there's a lot of good comic artists out there today who wouldn't have been given a chance if Todd hadn't proved that you don't have to ape the Old Masters to succeed.

What the fuck is yours?

I think it is more likely he was forced to redraw shit, which is pretty common, otherwise DC would not have used him in the first place.
The reason I say this is the drop in quality from Marvel to Image is more dramatic than when he left DC for Marvel. Once he was his own boss, he didn't have to redraw shit.

>implying I won't make gorillions of dollars selling my volumes of Youngblood
thanks Rob-sama

Tangentally when was coming up it was more common to ape Neal Adams than Kirby. Kirby was a dirty word in the eighties. Art was dead boring at the time, at least if you were young and hadn't learned to appreciate things fullu. liefield shooks shit up.