I want to get a comic for my little cousin. She's about 10

I want to get a comic for my little cousin. She's about 10.

She likes Tim Burton stuff, so nothing too sparkly. At the same time, I'd rather not deal with the wrath of her parents if I give her something too creepy.

Any suggestions? I've been considering this.

Other urls found in this thread:

bedetheque.com/media/Couvertures/louglenatcouv01.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Beautiful Darkness!

Cassandra

Anya's Ghost is good, OP. Especially for her age range.

If you want her to bawl her eyes out, I'd also recommend I Kill Giants

The Courtney Crumrin series.

>Beautiful Darkness!
No...

Lenore, the little dead girl will be right up her alley.

Yes.

that's a great comic but I think the story revolves a bit too much about teen problems to be really enjoyed by a 10 year old.

there's also implied sex in it but I don't think that would be a problem

Anya's Ghost is great.
Fuck no, that even gives me the creeps.

I don't know if the comic Lou is available where you are.
It looks pretty girly, but the story itself is touching and comfy as fuck.

bedetheque.com/media/Couvertures/louglenatcouv01.jpg

And I'm a dude.

I'm all for letting kids read stuff that will challenge them and not treat them like babbies and all that but Anya's Ghost is probably just barely out of her range, it's perfect for 12+ but a 10 year old might be too young to get the appeal and understand all the implications.

Seconding I Kill Giants.

Mmm. I thought as much. I'll keep it in mind for a later occasion.

Can't go wrong with Hellboy.

Serious question: is getting bullied by the local millionaire's children something that happens to every American?
Because it pops up in just about every Sup Forums related school setting.

I liked Bone when I was around ten, maybe that?

Goth Girl series by Chris Riddell might work

Anya's Ghost is really good, but might be just a bit outside her age range.

I'd strongly recommend the Mouse Guard series

It skirts with darker themes and events without being too scary or gory for a kid her age.

Plus it's animals so her parents will just assume it's happy Disney shit and ignore it.

Seconding these two.

It's an easy antagonism to conjure up. Some kid's parents are rich and he/she is a prick about it. Instant antipathy from the audience.

Maybe the graphic novel adaptation of Coraline?

> buying graphic novel over the book
The book even has great illustrations.

Beasts of Burden. It's Bunnicula meets Hellboy.

No, it's just a stock character.
Bullies and cliques were a large part of school social order in the 50s and the 80s (which influenced the TV writing of each generation who grew up in those eras) but they go in-and-out of prominence, currently it's not a cool thing to be and will not make you popular like jocks in cartoons.
Watch the 21 Jump Street movie for information on this

Edward Gorey?

Crossed.

its a 10/10 comic, im glad i pick this at random, its soo good

>The Courtney Crumrin
DELETE THIS

Vera Brosgol?

Oh, shit, I used to read her webcomic before she abandoned it.

I think I'll put that in the maybe column. Thanks anyway!

Bump

yes

well if her parents are going to be shitty about it, Calvin and Hobbes

That was the mail from the evil future, right?

Something like that. The plot never got very far. I just remember straight-man dude with poofy hair I think and his batshit crazy skinny chick friend.

I still remember one of the jokes. A demon or something appeared and the crazy chick pulled out a gun and shot at it. When the madness stopped he asked her where she got a gun and she said "Huh? I bought it."

Maybe Ghosts by Raina Telgemeir? The story takes place during a Day of the Dead celebration.

Just no nightmare fuel, as opposed to gloominess and eeriness. They do sleep in the same house, after all.

Get her a physical copy of Kill Six Billion Demons

She'll love it

Sounds perfect to me.

has she seen Jaws?

i saw Jaws at 10 right before going to bed. time to grow up.

Fucking this if it isn't too intense for her parent's taste. And if she can handle exposition.

Hey OP, do you want her to grow up a king or a peasant?

Return to Sender.

Guy's name was Often. Don't remember the girls name, but I thought she was an author insert at the time.

She had my undying love when she saw one bum bite the face off another and she said, "Oh my God I want to be a hobo."

Old enough that it might have been significantly influenced by Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

I didn't care for Beautiful Darkness. Just left me feeling a bit creeped and unfulfilled.

I've shown this comic two or three thirtysomething adults and they all enjoy it. This story is good for a variety of ages. Don't listen to them.

"How to Estrange Your Aunt and Uncle", by Anonymous.

Well of course they enjoy it, because they've already been in their teens and can relate to it.

Anya's ghost IS a great comic, only i don't think a 10 year old wuld really enjoy it for what it is.

The Sisters. English version of the French comic. It's huge in France with novelizations,diaries and pet care book. Also anything by Raina Telgemaier.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that got translated.

God no. That shit is traumatizing as fuck.

Anya's Ghost is pretty great, highly recommend it for her. People said it might be out of age range, but I don't think so honestly. The only two things I would say with it in that sense is that Anya smokes and the guy she likes is a douche cheating on his gf so her parents may not like that.

I Kill Giants has already been rec'd but I second it. Gotham Academy is also a good all ages thing from DC that has some creep factor to it.

>Beautiful Darkness!

user, why you gotta be like that.

BD is storytimed here every now and then, and universally leaves /co feeling disturbed and horrified.

It is awesome, yes.

NOT for ten year olds.

That's a perfect one.

Not this.
This is good.

It's a bit older and might be pretty hard to find, but "Akiko on the Planet Smoo" was pretty darn awesome.

Will also win you points for 'cool and obscure'.

I really doubt a girl that young would like Kill Six Billion Demons also that comic is very violent and has lots of references to sex and sex slavery and shit.

This is a euro-comic, I think, and so suffers from a bit of 'weird and incoherent', but hey, the kid's ten.

It's pretty and kinda fun, as I recall.

I'd recommend Friends With Boys, if you can get your hands on it. I'd say it's within her age range.

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Honestly pretty boring. Great art though.

Second ingredients this. It's a collection of short horror comics, they're all good, ranging from "OK" to godly. Emily's art is also stunning in its expressiveness.

bump

Has she seen Coraline? I'd also recommend Kubo.

Raina Telgemeier's books are good.

>a childhood free of being disturbed and horrified

Toppest keks.