Is it just me or are pretty much all cartoons airing nowadays painfully unfunny

Is it just me or are pretty much all cartoons airing nowadays painfully unfunny

>We Bare Bears
>Steven Universe
>nuPPG
>TTG
>Star vs.

I feel like cartoons have went to shit comedy wise in the last decade. Is it because inexperienced writers? PC culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE
youtube.com/watch?v=rC5v5dLMW2A
youtube.com/watch?v=3EiEX4tmCfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sorry OP, but that's because "it" has finally happened to you...
youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE

Their funny to children.

I dunno, I legitimately think Magisword is funny

TTG is funny, Star Vs gets me a chuckle fim time to time, early SU did it to, also the Amazing world of Gumball has yet to end and is the funniest.

Not him but my little sister (10) hates shows like Steven Universe and WBB. She thinks they're boring and thinks Steven is gay because he cries sometimes. My younger brother (12) only finds TTG funny.

Bitch you old

Probably because you have the sense of humor of a two year old.

It is to fast for me, I get the jokes but they are so fast.

Lol

Gumball. Also, TTG is actually pretty funny at times. Also, their Steven U's focus isn't necessarily on comedy.

>It's a Lincoln is painfully unfunny episode
Oh wait that's every fucking episode
God I fucking hate the new VA so much

The problem is that less shows are putting a dedicated effort into being comedic. Most popular cartoons are less about gags and more about characters. With the exception of TTG and PPG, I wouldn't call any of the shows you listed as comedies.

Well, what kinds of humor do you like?

>>We Bare Bears
Actually funny
>>Steven Universe
Funny and good lore too.
>>nuPPG
>>TTG
garbage.
>>Star vs.
quite funny too

0/10

Except it's not bait.

Of those, I only like Star vs, and I agree it tries too hard to be lolsorandom/quirky/""""hip"""" with its humor. See the awkward "star was mad haha" joke that was so badly executed the creator had to go online and explain it, or just about anything with Poynhead. Ludo and Buff Frog have some good moments though.

Its more of a crazy action cartoon with character/world building rather than a full blown comedy.

TTG/nuPPG are just full blown off the wall zaniness with no time to breathe or wind down. You go in expecting the characters to act a certain way and it never surprises you.

Steven Universe is similar to SvTFOE, but the humor is so dreadfully dull and so flaccid, the overall pace and atmosphere so tepid and unengaging, its like I'm being lulled to sleep watching anything more than a few moments of it. It's definitely a show for women and nuMales who are afraid of loud noises.

The Loud House strikes a nice balance in between the middle. It doesn't try to go overboard with the quirkiness and le zanies, its humor is very down to Earth and it can pick up the pace and haul ass when it needs to. It also has another character building that even minor antagonistic characters like Lola and Lori are left with plenty of likability in them at times. Definitely a cartoon both kids and people who grew up in the era of real cartoons (90s-early 00s) can appreciate.

China Illinois and Making Fiends crossover WHEN?!

we all have been waiting for it.

lel /thread

>their

Hey, I think Star vs. is quite funny when it has it's moments

We need more absurd dark comedy cartoons. Grim and Mandy probably had the best balance of humor of any cartoon I've ever seen.

The Amazing World of Gumball is comedic gold. The funniest cartoon I´ve ever watched.

We Bare Bears and TTG are fucking hilarious. Bears is just good situational humor and TTG is so fucking nuts it's impossible not to laugh.

Star Vs is less funny but still so occasionally and beautifully written with it's story. I've never actually had to stop a binge in a cartoon before to take it in. Really hit me.

Steven was funny and engaging until season 3 started and everything became just lazy. The filler became completely obvious, the same meme-y jokes were repeated constantly, and the story was just completely written off. Worse than Gravity Falls' ending and is almost becoming Adventure Time tier.

NuPPG is everything that Titans isn't. It's not fun, everything is forced and cringy. It's lacking in everything. I couldn't stay focused through it, it almost put me to sleep

Finally, I don't get the insane love for Loud House. It's honestly just really dull and okay. I've seen these jokes and premises before on other shows. Just doesn't keep my interests.

Magiswords a best

>it's another "nickfag posts a bait thread for company wars" thread

>doesn't like Star, Bears, or Steven
>postsThe Cliche House as an example of a funny cartoon

>The Cliche House

More like The CLOD House, am I right?

I thought the first episode of Star vs was atrocious when it came to the humour with the painfully unfunny "randumb" nonsense, but it's gotten more balanced since.

>2 the comedy ins't even the focus
>2 are funny too children
>1 is kinda of funny
>post Le Cliche House

Low bait.

It obviously is

Old cartoonists

>ordinary people with a number of life experiences that lend well to developing a sense of humor, timing and social intelligent
>Antonucci, Tartakovsky, McCracken

New cartoonists

>young people with no life experience or sense of humor (but they do have their parents' money,) largely inheriting their positions or obtaining them to meet a quota

Wut

>Buzzwordfag makes an irrelevant post

Pretty much every episode of gumball makes me laugh at least once, which is pretty rare for a show.

i never understood the cartoon channel fan wars in comparisons to the console fan war. I mean really who to poor to own only one cartoon channel in compare to consoles the console war understandable but the channel wars make nosense

WBB is meh.TTG has funny moments.nuPPG is awful.Star vs is awful.Steven Universe isnt meant to be a comedy and yes,some of its comedy sucks.People dont watch the show for that tho.
From the thread pic i guess you only like TLH

>The Cliche House
Wow you're trying real hard to make that a thing. Take off your "life diaper" because SU is unfunny garb.

Way too true. It really makes me appreciate the older order of cartoonists. So many of the newcomers to the industry did what... storyboard on maybe one or two cartoons, before they are handed the reins to their own creation? Guys like Savino, Hartman, McCracken, Tartarsaucsky, spent YEARS on different cartoons building their portfolio before any company would even think about giving them the budget to their own cartoon. Even though a few of them went to CalArts, they weren't guaranteed work right out of college, they had to scrape and claw their way to get work. Now, CalArts is more about plugging every 20-something year old libshit they can pump out into a significant role in the industry, in some cases even give them a pilot before they've put in any real work. It does well for the reputation of the school, but not for the industry as a whole.

Comedy is subjective for starters. You are one person. You represent one voice. Just because you don't find something funny there is probably 100,000 people in the world that will laugh at what you won't.

What you are speaking of is shows that don't even have you in mind for an audience. They are designed to entertain children not necessarily to make them laugh but to just keep their tiny attention spans.

Tlh is mediocre, you have shit taste if you think it's amazing.

Hacks are running the industry.
No, we debunked that.
Alan Reed is turning in his grave for all of this.
Antonucci, Tartakovsky, McCracken are not good enough to be "good", even "90's good" as they pale to the likes of Toshihiko Masuda, Kenji Hachizaki & Hiroyuki Aoyama.

>comparing apples and oranges

>implying Star vs isnt funny

>y-y-you have poop taste
Please, you nuMale millennial, You wouldn't know what good cartooning is if it showed up in your shed and fucked your waifu in front of you.

No, and that has nothing to do with what I just said.

This thread is just bait, isn't it

You're comparing big name cinematic animators to guys who did daytime television cartoons. In the '90s no less, an era where those two things were extremely different.

IT'S NOT MY ANIME TEEN TITANS SO IT'S GARBAGE the thread.

>he don't like tlh, so he is obviosly a su sucker!

Why TLH fags are so idiots?

Modern cartoons can't even follow the most basic rules, don't be surprised people dislike them.

Allow my autism to shine for a moment, but I feel what you said could apply to the recent shooter releases this year.

Star VS = Battleborn

TTG/nuPPG = CoD and Titanfall 2

SU = BF1

TLH = OW

All that meme in one post.

Antonucci, Tartakovsky, McCracken are not big name cinematic animators, those guys will be Avery, Clampett and Jones.

I watch TLH, but I won't go out of my way to defend it.

Fuck off, grandpa. You probably think Family Guy is funny

I find it amusing that anybody finds FG funny at all.

>Star VS = Battleborn

>TLH = OW

condom-on-the-head retarded

No you donut, you named Toshihiko "I directed fucking Akira and TGWLTT" Masuda. There's maybe a handful of animators in history on his level, of course the guys I listed aren't in that league.

Gumball is hilarious

put your trip back on, kazi

you're not fooling anyone

Blue Jacket Lupin III = Salamander 2

7D = Gradius Gaiden

>implying Battleborn isn't overhyped ebin quirky XDXD
>implying Star VS isn't dead/going to die like BB

your little sister is based

>you have a different opinion than me, therefore you're a troll.

you are the worst kind of person

Masuda was only a key animator on those projects, he directed Tiny Toons & Animaniacs.

Spongebob is still funny. Star Vs. is funny with certain writers.

Is she single?

>Battleborn
>Overhyped

Cartoons are for children. If you want genuinely funny animated content, look at anime.

The problem isn't that humor's gotten worse because the writers are less funny, it's because the writing has had to become more strict. The jokes and gags you saw in cartoons from the 80s and 90s can't get passed by the censor boards because of the one thing that kills all things fun:

Soccer moms.

In an era where girls can wear booty shorts and let their tits hang out and guys can get free titty pics on SnapChat, the adults that "parent" them have such cognitive dissonance that they won't "let their kids watch that" because it's "too inappropriate". I know this, because I've had my friends with kids older than mine complain at me for letting them watch Batman: TAS because it's "too violent", or Tiny Toons because it was "too provocative".

So I'm not saying you're wrong that it's not funny, I'm saying don't be quick to fault the writers.

Cartoons made before 1964'ish (depending on the studio) were made for movie going adults however.

I guess you got a point. Can't really get hyped about something that's dead

It lolsorandom characters are annoying and gameplay is essentially the same as Star VS writing: WANK

>Muh bait!

Fuck off fag

Indeed. In European countries, topless scenes only get a movie a PG-13 rating, over here it gets an R rating.

>it tries too hard to be lolsorandom/quirky/""""hip"""" with its humor.
It really depends on the writer. Some are bad about it but others are fairly clever.

I didn't even notice he didn't add Loud House to the list. I must have just added it unconsciously when I saw the pic. If he's claiming that Loud House is funnier than the other shows then he's completely wrong.

>non-whites have found the thread

Gumball is an anomaly

Dude, I was raised on Tiny Toons & Batman (much more on Tiny Toons due to reruns on Nick) and I turned out fine.

If anything those soccer moms (football moms to those of you in PAL markets) should tell those girls to NOT dress like Ryuko Matoi and dress like Princess Peach instead.

wat? Like what are you trying to say?

That I do not understand. We have moms in Europe as well yet they do not complain about this stuff like Americans do.

>People have actual discussion in thread
>y-you all are just niggers!
This is why you can't have a general

You guys call them "Football Moms", we just call them soccer moms because football is a completely different sport in the US then it is in Europe.

>I didn't even notice he didn't add Loud House to the list.
Because it wasn't on the list. OP happened to use a character that is associated with comedy for a thread that is about comedy, and naturally a few people who were unwilling to listen to any sort of criticism instead used it as a jump off to start a fandom war.

Good point, but I also think the whole "safe space" garbage should get a bit of blame.

It feels like writers/creators are terrified to do anything that might offend someone now in days, that no one is willing to take any risks.

Maybe someone could make a case for Steven Universe pushing SOME boundaries with its more dramatic parts (although they are almost always really cheesy, and benign as hell), bit that argument is kinda a stretch.
Although granted any time they do that there seems to be a vocal minority that lose their collective shit about how "triggered" they are.

Just kinda sad as the second you do anything that might be construed as offensive, dipshits will complain from both sides!

But Loud House should be on that list.

>OP happened to use a character that is associated with comedy for a thread that is about comedy
This is what I thought. Not adding Loud House makes me a bit suspicious of his intentions though.

My best guess is that, in the US, the majority of people are quick to blame an institution or a company for their faults and problems rather than taking responsibility. If you've ever heard of the Wendy's Chili lawsuit, it was where a woman cut off her own boyfriend's finger, put it in her cup of chili from a fast food restaurant, and tried to take them to court over it. All that started because of the woman who tried to pry open the lid of a cup of McDonald's coffee by putting it between her legs while driving, and having it spill all over her legs giving her third degree burns. Maybe your countries had jokes about how "lawsuit happy" the US is; sadly, they aren't jokes.

Because of the majority's inability to take responsibility, the FCC and other major ratings companies have strict rules on what we can and cannot air. Rather than trusting grown adults to change the channel when a hardcore fuck is being aired on TV, or, rather, preventing young boys to ever experience the joys of watching a blurry hardcore fucking scene like most of us got to, we institute regulations on our airwaves to prevent certain things from hitting the boobtube at home.

It carries over especially hard to children's cartoons, with laws preventing the advertisement of a toy or a game related to a show that is currently being watched from airing out of fear that it is "unfairly targeting" children and FORCING parents to buy toys they don't want to. You can't air a commercial for Pokemon Sun and Moon at the same time the Pokemon cartoon is on, for example.

Ultimately, it's just adults passing laws to prevent adults from having to be responsible, and they masturbate each other over how "good" of parents they are for doing so.

Try airing domestic abuse today and see where it's going to get you.
youtube.com/watch?v=rC5v5dLMW2A

This is cool. I wish people did this again. Why did they stop? Are they really that Jewish?

Last I checked that finger was made from plastic, still thank god for Trump.

In short, we are much more responsible then out parents.
Thank god Japan still follows this stuff to the T.

Nah chill We Bare Bears is great

Anime doesn't really do squish/squash and line of action for the most part. That doesn't mean it''s bad, it just doesn't follow the same rules as western animation. It seems to be more focused on being lifelike while retaining the flexibility of animation.

Well yea that. But even comedy is suffering as its more pop culture humor rather than actual jokes.

See, this is a good scene and it doesn't justify the Joker acting the way he did, but somehow people would find a way to be offended that it was even shown at all. I don't get it.

Blame budget, at least theres construction.

You know it came to mind what a weird juxtaposition some of these cartoons are trying to have. Like they want to be silly hand have jokes, but also want to be serious and dramatic as well. It seems like in the end it just makes the show suffer as the jokes fall flat, or the drama having no bite.

Like you said SU and Star Vs. are kinda dull and flacid. Like they want the best of both worlds, but don't really commit all the way in either direction.

>Japan
lol

youtube.com/watch?v=3EiEX4tmCfY

They certaily do, just watch a comedy

This actually is quite irritating.

Yes, obviously pop culture jokes have been a thing since forever but with the rise of advertising and social media it feels like fucking everything is a reference or a pop culture joke. The worst part is that it's going to age horribly, for example, do you think anybody watching Doctor Strange in 2086 is going to understand the pop singer jokes? I doubt it.