Let's make Terry McGinnis a clone of Bruce Wayne and ruin the entire point of Batman Beyond

>let's make Terry McGinnis a clone of Bruce Wayne and ruin the entire point of Batman Beyond

what were they thinking?

Still a better test tube son than Damian though

He's his son. Not a clone.

Apparently it was the fix a plot hole of Terry and his brother having different hair than their parents.

>Apparently it was the fix a plot hole of Terry and his brother having different hair than their parents

That can't be true

>plot hole
Just say their mom dyes her hair.

I think he admits it was an accident, but it makes everything work.
They're divorced because he thinks she was cheating on him because her children don't look like him.

This. They basically reprogrammed Warren's testicles to produce Bruce's sperm. He's Bruce's son, even though he never even actually conceived Terry and Matt.

Apparently it was a left-over of an earlier idea that Timm had for a Catwoman-based Beyond DTV movie

"Bruce Timm on an unproduced Batman Beyond DTV (circa 2001): “I could easily go back and do some more Batman Beyonds, sure. There was this one DTV story idea that Glen Murakami and I were toying with involving Catwoman, but it was really dark…I mean pitch black. So, after what happened with Return of the Joker, I don’t think that one’s gonna happen any time soon (courtesy of The World’s Finest).

"“[In the Batman Beyond DTV], instead of Waller, Selina Kyle herself was going to be the one who cloned Batman. Staying much closer to the ‘Boys from Brazil’ set-up, Selina hedged her bets and created lots of Bruce Wayne clones, and systematically murdered their parents when they reached the proper age. Most of them didn’t become manic-depressive crime-fighters, only Terry and one other—a young boy she adopted and raised as her own son. There was going to be a creepy ‘Manchurian Candidate’ aspect to their relationship, with the aging (but still disturbingly kinda sexy) Selina coaxing the kid into becoming an über-messed-up avenger of evil.

“Selina’s ‘son’ was going to be the main bad guy ‘muscle’ of the story—a twisted version of Terry / Bruce, with his own ‘dark superhero’ outfit and everything. The plan was for him to be bumping off criminals from the Batman Beyond Rogues Gallery, and possibly even an old-timer like Edward Nygma, thus setting the plot in motion (this part was always a bit too ‘Phantasm’ for me, but I did like the ‘Manchurian Candidate’-ness of him).

“This version of Selina had... ‘seen the light,’ after years of Batman nagging her to use her talents to help people instead of just helping herself. She eventually realized he was right, but with ‘born again’ zeal, decided Batman himself didn’t go far enough in punishing criminals; she needed a Batman who would help her [kill criminals] and set about creating one."

Why is Timm such a hack?

looks more like a fish than bruce

Is this where King got the inspiration for his Selina from?

I think it's less that and more it was brought to their attention that him and his brother don't look dick like their parents. It got the idea chugging along but it wasn't really to fix any problems since it's hardly impossible for people to have kids with darker hair.

Also Epilogue doesn't really ruin the entire point of Beyond, if anything the issue is that it reinforces the entire point but in a much more contrived way. The moral is "you can't clone a Batman and Terry is his own man" what we already knew but now it had to jump through the hoops of seemingly challenging that notion by making Terry becoming Batman a ridiculous coincidence.

>what were they thinking?
Essentially
>Let's make Bruce Wayne into the biggest asshole ever.

That was Timm's goal all along I think.

>let's ruin the entire point of Batman Beyond

That Spider-Man can be Batman? 'Cause that was the point of Batman Beyond.

Bruce Timm had to jerk off his waifu one last time.

I know it's useless to argue this with you because you obviously didn't watch the show, but Terry is nothing like Bruce Wayne.
They share some traits, that are more generic hero traits than anything else, but despite him being a clone/son hybrid he is very much his own character.
And about Waller's point that the DC universe cannot exist without Batman: She's definitely right, even from a meta point of view. Like it or not, Batman is what holds the entire company together so even if Waller didn't go through with making her own Batman, the universe would've conspired to create it.

Underrated post

Timm has an ntr fetish.

>Then I found a young Neo-Gotham couple with psychological profiles nearly identical to those of Bruce's parents.
The fuck? How were Terry's parents anything like Thomas and Martha Wayne?

Do we ever really get a good feel for Tom and Martha in the DCAU? For all we know the McGinnises were just poorer Waynes.
Zatanna wasn't in the episode.

>entire point of Batman Beyond
What point

Doesnt really change anything. He has Bruces DNA but thats not what defines Terry. He had his own life, tragedy, and regardless of Bruce's teachings he was his own Batman. I think this really comes out in Return of the Joker when Terry managed to get under Jokers skin at the end

anyone can be batman with motive and determination. although I do like the idea of the Wall trying to pull an mgs2 engineering the situation to make a new batman, but even then him being geniticly Bruce is meaningless

I hated this episode. For some odd reason the DCAU would do something great, then fuck it up with stuff like Epilogue and the second Hawkman episode. Things ruin their impact when you overconnect stuff.

>anyone can be batman with motive and determination.
meh, i just like terry with or without being Bruce clone

If anything I think it gives more credit to Terry's character. Waller tried to duplicate The Batman both genetically with nigh identical psychological conditioning and yet Terry took up the mantle on his terms

This guy knows what's up.

That was terry imagination

>Justice League Unlimited crossed over with both with both Static Shock and Batman Beyond
>JLU left The Zeta Project untouched and forgotten
Was it really that bad?

Dont recall it being so. But I think Static got fucked over harder. For some reason WB doesnt want to acknowledge that it existed despite its popularity and treatment of a black superhero. They dont even sell dvds of the seasons

Source.

fair enough, like she got a monkeys paw wish version of what she wanted. I like that interpretation

I think that story was dumb too, but I don't think there was any point to Batman Beyond to begin with.

they were thinking terry sucks, let's fix him
and it did. tremendously
plus it turns out they foreshadowed it several times

How did they foreshadow it in episodes?