What were VHSs like?

What were VHSs like?

I'm too young to remember what the quality was like

Pretty good when you watched a brand-new one.

The quality degraded as you watched them, which gave them a unique feel. Nothing like watching a grainy Horror movie.

But, yeah: the actual quality was pretty damn good when new.

Half the time they'd start going grainy on action scenes fucking garbage user. Also video stores were pleb tier i remember it taking me years just to find one that had a copy of Taxi Driver. Kids today don't know how lucky they are

Quality was about like 480p on Youtube. Just with analog static interference instead of artifacting and ghosting.

get a pack of colored markers.

use them to draw a screenshot from your favorite film, on a piece of card 2 inches by 3.

now piss on the card and smear the marker ink diagonally.

that's VHS.

> betamax: superior

MODS

My VCR made cool mechanical sounds.

Rewinding sucked ass

Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Since VHS tapes, players, and CRT TVs are analog devices, the quality of them could vary considerably.

>What were VHSs like?
Garbage, the patrician choice was betamax but it didn't get much traction as a format

big
bulky
low resolution
literally degraded every viewing
widescreen was rare, no extra features
rewinding
fucking tracking

tapes were shit

> fast forwarding the ads at the start of a VHS

>I watched a stupid time travel anime once and now I have opinions on VHS vs betamax: the post

>What were VHSs like?
Low resolution
Tracking problems
Audio his
Noisy
Rewinding sucks

Etc...

Fuck off I owned multiple vcrs and a couple of betamax players as a kid, we eventually abandoned betamax when they stopped releasing movies on it but the picture was much more clear and fluid even when recording off a tv, though I remember the tapes being noticeably shorter

>tfw you will never pack a suitcase full of VHS tapes for family trips ever again

Right now we are all lucky to have the quality of film we have. VHS was shit. Pure and simple. Garbage. We just didn’t know it at the time and no we feel nostalgia for garbage.

VHS tapes were alright, they degraded over time but could be restored easily enough.

The really shit thing everyone forgets about was the quality of TV's in the 80's-90's. Today 50x50 screens are like the minimum size people buy, but that used to be huge. It wasn't any fun having to sit 2 feet away from a 20 inch tube TV to watch anything.

50x50?

yeah, but somehow old tvs made lower resolutions more tolerable. the pixels were huge and i think it had to do with the way they were staggered

go to youtube. select any movie from the 80s.
select 480p.
wait 30-90 seconds for fbi warnings & tape warmup.
play.
when finished wait 2 minutes for tape to rewind.

Felt cool recording shows on VHS knowing the TV jews hated it, used to record The Simpsons first couple seasons on VHS with my grandparents $1300 VCR from 1982. Weighed about 31lbs.

The quality was alright, like many have stated, quality degrades over time, and you'd be pissed if your VCR ate your favorite movie. DVDs sucked because as soon as it was scratched, they're fucked.

I miss the past

>mih HDDVD

ok bub. totes cool shit bro.