I was looking for a show that's absurd and dark but heartfelt, like Rick and Morty or BoJack Horseman...

I was looking for a show that's absurd and dark but heartfelt, like Rick and Morty or BoJack Horseman. Sup Forums recommended Venture Bros.

Two episodes in. When am I supposed to start caring about the characters?

The first 3~4 episodes are kind of rough.
It finds it's groove pretty quickly though.

Season 3 I guess. The show really evolves with every season.

It builds up overtime, but you should feel it by the end of the first season for sure.

Two more episodes. Hold out for the whole first season if you can. If you like that then continue one because it only gets better

I'm gonna be honest with you, user, season one is basically an entirely different show compared to the rest of the series. Just stick with it, it really picks up after the first season.

What? Season 2 is great!

Keep watching til the end
Especially if you dig syper heroes and music

first episode best episode

Just keep watching. VB is an infinite game of writing Jenga, constantly building on itself.

I think character development starts getting heavy in S3. I could be wrong I haven't watched it in a while. Didnt mean it wasn't great, it blows RM and NH out of the water.

Just keep watching.

Personally i never really started caring about Dean and Hank, and actually just grew more annoyed with them the more they were shown. The show never really gets near Rick and morty or Horseman levels, just in case thats really what you were really set on seeking out

If you don't love Brock after this scene I don't know what to tell you.

>Implying that Rick and Morty is better than Venture Bros

Shit taste, senpai

Until Season 4, that was the point. The show is more about Doctor Venture or Brock than them.

i've rewatched this more than anything

How can you not care about Hank? He's gloriously insane.

>Rick and Morty or Horseman levels
user is talking about the FEELS. Not the quality.
Moral Orel has the highest caliber feels though.

it's full of references to begin with.
if you are an underaged faggot you won't get half of them.

I didn't really care for him, until he put on the mask.

That's when he really clicked for me

The first few seasons you have to get through but it becomes amazing.
Each season is better than the last in terms of animation, writing and characters.

I didn't like it at first, watch the first two seasons.

The show doesn't make much of an effort to introduce the characters. It just plops you into their world and expects you to catch up.

You begin to understand and know the characters as it goes along but once you get into the inner machinations of the Guild of Calamitous Intent and OSI, the world and how it works becomes just as fascinating as the endless parade of bizarre heroes and villains.

If the Monarch and Brock Samson are enough to get you through the patchy first season, it only gets better from there.

In the commentary, they talk about how they made a real effort to get the audience to like Hank after the lukewarm response in season 1

aparantly girls were into Dean because he was sensitive and helpless

I think after that they had the opposite problem, Hank was hilarious and charismatic and Dean was the wet blanket.

Let me greentext blog a bit for you OP.

>watch VB when it first comes out
>think it's shit
>years later, commercials for season 2
>they rerun season 1
>decide to give it another chance
>can't really explain why, but suddenly like it
>hype for season 2
>enjoy it
>hype for season 3

At this point, we're used to waiting years between seasons, but back then it was killing me.

Season 2 is the peak, IMO. Everything is great.

I used to be the same way, for a silly fucking reason too. I didn't care for Brocks hair. I'd just change the channel. Then I forgot about it one day and I've loved the show, and his hair, since.

That's not how Jenga is played! That's not Jenga at all!

>Two episodes in.
>When am I supposed to start caring about the characters?

You literally only spent like 40 minutes watching these characters. How the hell do you expect to get any fundamental grasp in the lore of the world and the character relationships of a show in just two episodes?

Unless you are looking for a show with a huge investment of time devoted to just pure exposition, you're being retarded.

>2 episodes
Fucking chill, Rick and Morty or Bojack took the majority of their first seasons to build up.
VB just takes two seasons, it's a slow burn. Think of it like a long running comic. You're introduced to these characters early on and then see how far they go and how far they evolve over time and are introduced to new characters over its run.

You don't like the mullet, bro?