Wow, that was a ride. Just finished watching Avatar with my girlfriend...

Wow, that was a ride. Just finished watching Avatar with my girlfriend. Probably the best Western action series I've ever seen. For the medium and the audience it had excellent writing.

Now that we've finished it though, should we dive into the comics and Korra or not? I've heard mixed things.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/A3ejU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never read the comics. I couldn't resist Korra because it's a continuation of a world I love and I'm sure you'll be the same way but just be prepared when I say it's garbage. S3 is halfway decent everything else is awful and sometimes I honestly think it's better to have not seen it and just preserve your headcanon for the original cast.

I like Korra. Don't expect it to be the same as ATLA, but feel free to watch it as its own show. Keep in mind that the first season was originally going to be a stand-alone miniseries so the ending might feel a bit abrupt. And the second season had some problems but still had its moments. The last two seasons are the best seasons of Korra. I recommend going in with an open mind if you're interested.

>Never read the comics
Do you mean you've never read the comics or I should never read the comics?

My bad. Meant I've never personally read them.

Don't watch Korra.

It's not worth it. The character interactions and chemistry are so much worse, and the development just falls flat when you compare it to the original.

Korra won't give you the same feels as Avatar, but you won't do yourself any kinds of favor missing out on the sequel to a show like Avatar. It gives you even more closure on the past characters, and while it's not good, it's at least pretty to look at.

I have. Never read the comics.

The moment Bryke were given writing input on anything specific, the entire world became poisoned.

>It gives you even more closure on the past characters
It's not very good closure.

They didn't even fucking show any of Sokka's kids or descendants like they did with the rest of the Gaang which just continues the theme of LoK shitting on non-benders.

Korra isnt an adventure and theres more drama. Warning you now.

What's the problem with them.

Lets be honest, user. The only one they didn't shit on in some way was Katara.

I don't feel like showing Aang and Toph as flawed parents is really shitting on them. I thought it was fair. None of the main characters are perfect and none are monsters.

>and just preserve your headcanon for the original cast.

Kinda sounds demented

Not him but I vaguely remember some poorly done political drama and relationship fumbling.

It's like, you show all the kids of the Gaang EXCEPT FOR SOKKA FOR SOME REASON. I like to think that his kids were just too smart to try to get involved with Korra.

George Lucas syndrome. Thinking being the visual and conceptual creators of the world makes them the best qualified for writing the actual stories taking place within. What results is schizophrenic character arcs where characters have to learn the same lessons over and over again, plot threads that lead no where, and an even greater reliance on Deus Ex Machina to get themselves out of holes they write themselves into, DEMs that sometimes even conflict with lore established in the first show, and characters being totally in the wrong, whose actions lead directly to negative outcomes, and are never called on it because the show wants you to look elsewhere.

They even fired the fucking choreographer that made the original show's fights so fluid and beautiful. Korra has NOTHING that compares to even filler fights in A:TLA like Jet and Aang fighting through the Autumn trees when they first meet.

I feel like the time gap was too much. Seeing characters you love turn into feeble useless old people is never an enjoyable thing.

A series where they were all badass adults would be one thing but either dead or near crippled from age was kinda depressing.

Yeah, I mean their kids still ended up alright and achieved great things, having all the parents be perfect was what would have been disingenuous. Aang you can kinda understand why he gave a lot of attention to his airbending son even if he didn't mean to ostracize his other children. Toph's parenting results were the least surprising thing about the sequels series, she's the best character, but just a couple of degrees removed from having ended up as Azula, a pampered bending prodigy with a bad relationship with her parents and difficulty understanding why she should care about anyone other than herself

>characters have to learn the same lessons over and over again

Sounds pretty fucking true to reality

Aang is an Avatar spirit and perfectly capable of speaking to Korra on behalf of himself and his life the same way Roku did, but he's never given the chance. Why? Did they think no one would want to hear from Aang himself, especially when his name was being dragged through the mud? Guess he was just an awful parent and that's all there is to it, better erase any chance of him explaining anything from the show just for good measure

They try to do grey morality and totally flub it and always make the villains jump the shark into cartoony villainy. Which wouldn't be as bad if they didn't originally present the villains of usually having some legitimate point beforehand that gets totally discarded.

They also totally butcher the whole Yin Yang Eastern balance philosophy in a hilariously stupid way.

Hey man. If reality is what you want in your fantasy martial arts shows, power to you.

I'd prefer satisfying writing personally.

Only autistic retards though took Kya and Bumi's complaints to heart though and interpreted it as Aang=worst parent ever. In the avatar universe I say you've probably done pretty good if your kids aren't trying to conquer the world or summoning the spirit of chaos.

I think, if you go in with really low expectations for Korra, it might be worth it. Season 1 and 2 are pretty cringe-worthy at times due to awful and unnecessary relationship drama, but I enjoyed the latter two seasons. Not as much as A:TLA, but still. The animation's pretty and I enjoyed the season 3 villain.

The comics are okay. Zuko does some annoying backtrodding, but there are entertaining parts.

It also had the problem of continuous changes in episode length. It was originally planned to be less than the first season, then got more episodes, then more seasons. Which did not help its coherency.

Well Toph wanted to get away from being a princess. Azula was conditioned to want it.

What satisfyingly written cartoon series have you been watching lately?

Yeah, they're just dysfunctional siblings who have still have grudges against each other even though they're all 40+

Because that's good parenting

Korra's worth it for the animation alone, and for all the side characters, but don't expect to grow as attached to the main characters. It's definitely not the best sequel.
That said, Korra is at least better than the comics. The best of the lot are just boring, and the worst one wrecked Ursa's character beyond any hope of redemption. You can talk about LoK's lore changes, but none of them were as damaging as fucking "The Search"

Why I said they were a few degrees removed, still an awful lot of parallels between the two of them

You exaggerate.

Just because something is realistic doesn't mean it's fun to watch.

But it was so antithetical to the kid we spent so much time with for 3 seasons over like 5 years.

I can understand portraying a huge change in the character over a time skip to illicit a surprise and a bit of a gut punch, but if you're not going to expand on it, or give the familiar character a chance to speak, what's the point? Kya and Bumi's comments were basically all we got about Aang's personal life post A:TLA and that just seems disappointing to me, especially when there's literally nothing stopping Korra from just asking him about it after Season 1's ending.

Nah, lets just pingpong Mako, Korra, and Asami's relationship around some more. That hasn't gotten old or anything.

True.

Typically you don't want a show to rely on past characters and nostalgia.

But ffs Korra was frustrating as hell with it. Sokka and any of his kids were literally never seen outside of one flashback. Aang might as well not have existed. How the fuck did he never communicate with Korra through the avatar state? Nothing about Zuko or Azula. Not even a passing reference to characters like Mai, Ty Lee and Suki. Basically if you weren't Katara you didn't matter in Korra.

Who honestly even cared about Korra, Bolin and Mako anyway? Everyone wanted to know more about the original gang's kids.

The show Korra would obviously be compared against. Not sure what your point is here, unless its "Of course it has bad writing. Its a CARTOON for KIDS"

it's fake anime for 9 year olds

why would you subject your girlfriend to that kind of torture when decent, real animes exist?

>exaggerate
FUCKING SU YIN

TOTAL BITCH

SCARRED HER SISTER

MADE HER MOM QUIT THE FORCE

GOT AWAY WITH EVERYTHING

>Nothing about Zuko or Azula
Zuko shows up and reminisces about how he used to try to killl Aang

Siblings quarrel all the time, even in their old age, difference is if they complain about who were their favored child and completely fall out because of it, or if they still manage to stay a cohesive family in spite of it

Me and my brother have made each other angry and cry all the time, we argue and fight, but he's still the person I trust the most in the world, and even if we still occasionally fight to this day he will remain so

You could argue perhaps that such dynamics aren't necessary, but there's nothing unnatural about their behavior

The only comic kinda worth reading is the one about what happened to Zuko's mom. Rest are kind of boring.

As for Korra... I'm just gonna say it's gonna be more enjoyable if you dont daisy chain it with TLA.

MY main problem with Korra was the fact that it broke some of the "rules" established in TLA so the show was filled with distracting plot holes.

Fucking hell, remember when everyone thought that Suyin was going to be the villain because of what a blatantly awful person she was

So you got one show that ended nearly a decade ago, I was thinking more like presently

>the show we all actually wanted

I was thinking about Aang's kids when I said that. They're fights weren't huge grudges.

Lin had a good reason to hold a grudge for sure. But that's mroe Su Yin's fault. Toph is still a loveable asshole.

Was your brother ever a fucking criminal who scarred your face permanently and got away with it because your parents were in the police?

Rebels has been pretty good, and around the same time Korra was airing we had Young Justice and GL:TAS, but I'm still not sure what your point is.

Their*

She still indirectly created the villain, I'm not sure what you expected from the child you took into your care then ostracized from the family. All Kuvira had was her bending prodigy and duty as leader of the guards, no wonder she ended up as a sociopath with control issues.

But why give us nothing positive to balance out Kya, Bumi, and eventually even Tenzin's begrudging negativity, on top of that flashback showing Aang completely lost his sense of humor?

You honestly don't care how the kid we knew in A:TLA became the stonefaced douche we see for all of five seconds the Korra? You don't think such a massive character shift to such a familiar personality shouldn't have been expanded on just a little more?

Reddit fucking did, and so did the rest of us

imgur.com/a/A3ejU

Oh my god, are you insane, was it the villains who are complete failures or the obnoxious characters that got you into Rebels? Honestly I lost all hope after they resolved the whole dark holocron thing they teased after the second season immediately into season 3, the show is complete trash with only glimmers of hope at the season finale and premiers, the Green Lantern show is also trash, only Young Justice was decent

Another thing is the fucking parental issues in this show, fuck

Almost all the conflicts in this show somehow involve daddy issues, it's ridiculous.

>the Green Lantern show is also trash

Dude.

This was in the original show too but it wasn't as blatant as it is in Korra.

He did scar me on the knee after throwing a stone unto it, by mistake of course

Personally I feel much worse about the fingernail scars he got on the chest one time when I got so mad I still feel ashamed about it

The only good thing about The Legend of Korra is her fat titties

He was asking about the comics...
Which are alright. Some are fairly sub-par, some are pretty decent. They're not at the level ATLA was but if you want to see further adventures of those characters then they're entertaining.

Any particular characters get focused?

Korra isn't worth it honestly. The first two seasons in particular are just awful, and while season 3 is an improvement, it's still not very good.

Zuko essentially takes the role as the main character

Don't OP.

I wish I could unwatch/read both. Only disappointment can come of this.

This OP. Korra will just let you down. If you want I guess you could watch season 1, but stop after that.

Korra should have stayed a one season miniseries, and it's obvious the writers didn't know what they were doing in the following seasons. Especially with their Tumblr pandering and then doubling down and calling people homophobic if they didn't like the forced lesbo ending.

Watch the movie.

Comics are okay, LoK.. go only for S01.

I say watch Legend of Korra and don't listen to the pansies who got their panties twisted because things didn't go as they wanted

this:

he just want to make fun of a show you like because you made fun of a show he likes

>Toph is still a loveable asshole
no

Probably, but anyone who thinks Rebels has not completely shit itself at this point is probably deranged

I hoped the show would 'grow the beard' like The Clone Wars did after the first season and a half, but the way the show currently works really doesn't mesh with me

No, it wasn't