Thoughts On The Original Twin Peaks Seasons

Personally I thought the early seasons were pretty great but nothing in comparison to the return. That's just my retarded opinion.

Twin Peaks S1 and 2 are actually Twin Peaks.

The Return is essentially a bit of everything from Lynch's career.

If they were less soap opera and satire of 80s/90s shows, and took itself more seriously, I think it would've been a solid 9/10. But for what it is, I'd give it an 8.2/10.

The Return was almost a masterpiece up to the final episodes. I'd give it a 9/10, but the last two episodes were hack shit.

Solving the murder halfway through the second season was a mistake, they've admitted that. Having half a season where people were just going through the motions was a bit boring.

There is no greater pleb signal than regurgitating the talking point how S1 was somehow a satire.

Fuck off David.

Season 1 at the very end of I think episode 2 to the last episode are fucking amazing. It becomes gold when it's confirmed that Laura isn't what the adults in town were trying to paint her as when the doctor listens to a recording of her. The soap opera parodying is hilarious and holds the most important pieces of the show together very well.

2 could have been this way but one character literally ruins it every time he was on screen.

>The soap opera parodying is hilarious

I found that shit slow and boring, making it dull. When I first watched the show I didn't know it was intentional, so I was like, "holy fuck this show is shit why is it praised" but I kept watching and the soap opera shit got less and less and the characters became deeper and the story with the supernatural elements, and I loved it.

I hate the soap opera shit.

This couldn't be James Hurley, could it?

Which character?

It is not a parody nor a satire about soaps.

Well at least you admit you're retarded.

People say S1 is the best but I found it pretty dull, S2 had most of the great moments from the original run

You're a retard.

I think I may have worded my original statement a little too harshly, PARTS of the Return are amazing, but PARTS of the original series are also fucking amazing but then there are the soapy parts that even if they are satire or whatever people claim, in the middle of season 2 it did bog down the show.

The original series is comfy, the movie is fucking great, and the return is the most I've ever enjoyed a TV show in my life.

Not an argument. Please point out where TP S1 makes a satire or parody of soaps.

It was very dull, up until the last couple episodes of Season 1. Then after Cooper gets... a special visit in his hotel room for non spoilers, the show really gets fucking good, up until Episode 9, and then Lynch and Frost fucking leave and the whole fucking thing turns to shit until the final episode.

S3 is worst than S2. Lynch should have just made a film.

>Not an argument. Please point out where TP S1 makes a satire or parody of soaps.

not that user but literally invitation to love you cuck

this.

The whole thing doesn't turn to shit - there's still some good moments, and some people like different characters.

meh

You mean than hating the final kino

James was always cool.

The Return is vastly overrated on Sup Forums
It's good, great at times, but it really lacks on the emotional side of things - which is what Lynch usually does well. Dougie + Mitchum bros + Candle had that covered, but there wasn't more like it.
The original series had plenty of emotional moments - my favourite being Ben and Jerry reminiscing about the dance. You just don't get stuff like that in The Return - and when we sort of did (Ben talking about his father giving him a bike/tricycle) it became known as the worst episode of the new series.
Having music be absent for a good bit of The Return also really changed the 'feel' of it - I didn't realise how important the soundtrack was to the original series.
There's reason to like both the original and the return, but I think The Return really missed out on the emotional side of things. Then again, you'll find nothing like episode 8 in the original.
FWWM is still the best part of Twin Peaks.

I actually have to disagree with this sentiment. TR has almost nothing from Lynch aside from a few very good shots/scenes and its usual god tier sound design. I feel like he really tried to feel and look like a modern tv show like TP tried to look like contemporary TV. The issue is that modern tv is dogshit.

I would have loved TP season 3, I would have loved FWWM: the series. Instead we have the weakest work by Lynch (aside from some scenes which are actually one of the best in his carreer). A really enjoyable mixed bag.

It's hard to say because The Return, while continuing the story, is so different in tone and style from the first two seasons. One thing that can be said about Twin Peaks is that the first season, the second season, the movie and the third season are all doing their own thing and they all have their own unique tone.

So... is Return objectively better than the first seasons? I don't know, it's more consistent to be sure. At the same time it casts a broader net and gets deeper into the lore so it lacks some of the humanity and the sense of Twin Peaks being a living, breathing place that made the first season so strong.

I don't think it's strictly speaking better or worse, it's just different and very good for what it is.

Yeah, FWWM had a really unique visual style. Hard to explain, but you really feel like you're in a musty old room while you watch it.

Some parts of Season 3 feel really comical and over the top, especially the ending where they kill BOB. The original series never felt like that, nor did FWWM.
Then again, it contrasts pretty well with the tone of ep18.