I miss fat incompetent season 1 Steven. Short pretentious season 4 Steven is unbearable

I miss fat incompetent season 1 Steven. Short pretentious season 4 Steven is unbearable

>what is character development

but season 1 Steven was funny tho

I miss when the gems actually did shit.

Either way people are going to complain.
>Steven at the start
>"Why is Steven so useless!"
>Steven gradually gains experience through his adventures
>"Steven is a gary-stu now!"

I do hate meddlesome Steven though. He really pissed me off when he ruined Ronaldo's relationship without a care and also when he acted like a little shit because Lars didn't want to admit his feelings for Sadie.

Steven in season 1 was filtering out his stress of having to live up to the crystal gems expectations of being his Mom via jokes, or being incompetent on purpose by acting like certain things weren't serious; when it was. Serious Steven was a big implication of why he was so 'immature' or 'incompetent' in S1. He's been learning how to cope with his internal stress a lot better, later on in the season; which is why he's been able to come out of his shell of being incompetent and ignorant.

>cartoons that try to do character development
Just read some comic series if you really want something other than laughs from a kids show

Realistically, a character who goes through a whole bunch of development over the course of a story and becomes a "perfect" character as a result is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. The only difference between that kind of Sue/Stu and one who starts out perfect is setup.

He still has his moments. One of the funnier moments in the last episode was his disappointment at being an Universe instead of a DeMayo.

I miss when this show didn't exist

I prefer bara adult Steven.

Steven is still extremely weak comparatively though even now

like he's still obviously many levels below Garnet or Pearl

They're both unbearable.

He's basically Renton Thurston. I'm waiting for the scene where Garnet beats his ass to within an inch of his life because Pearl is missing

>pretentious
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

If they had him revert, people would scream the character development was for nothing.

but that would make her like Holland.

An extreme shitlord

I feel like Steven has actually regressed into a loud whiny baby again. Suppressing trauma for the sake of filler episodes isn't healthy Steven, you're going to have to sit down and have a plot progressing episode to actually get this stuff of your chest. That meditation/dream sequence barely counted and you know it.

Steven's affairs with humans are more often than not solved without Steven's help. Steven's meddling generally exacerbates the problem to the point of absurdity, which in its own way is helpful because it forces the person he's helping to speak out for themselves to come to a proper understanding/conclusion.

Frbyo, Sadie's Song, New Lars, etc.

His VA's voice change plays a large role in this. His s1A voice was pretty deep compared to his forced "high, cutesy" voice.

Like, Steven being serious has a nice voice, but in episodes where they're just relaxing, I like his goofy deep voice in early episodes moreso than the high-pitched one.

I miss when there were actual conflicts

Isn't he still fat in S4?

It's pretty weird that I sort of agree with you. I just find something annoying about modern Steven now.

The way he's so clearly forcing the voice is probably a big part of it, shit's grating like crazy.

season 1 su was generally a better show

>not playing the first string on A major

Huh?

He had an actual personality

The same brand of childish outbursts don't work anymore despite how endearing/funny it was, and no more amusing traits has replaced them. Mature Steven is boring

>Steven is perfect

Is THAT what you think?

>becomes a "perfect" character as a result is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. The only difference between that kind of Sue/Stu and one who starts out perfect is setup.

If there's a difference between two things they aren't the same thing.

I'm waiting for the scene where Greg shows him what his dad smells like.

From a purely visual standpoint, I liked fatter Steven a lot more. There's just something better about that design

preach brother

This is a weird request, But does anyone have the screen cap of that comic about Greg screwing with Pearls love life again, and how everyone on tumblr freaked out about it?

>that image
Steven is best cute boy

You can say that again

so once Steven dies does that mean Rose will be free to reform or does the gem die with him?

I wish every version of Steven would dissapear.