THIS IS A THREAD FOR LOVECRAFTIAN KINO. Discuss good Lovecraftian works, bad Lovecraft films, recommend some

THIS IS A THREAD FOR LOVECRAFTIAN KINO. Discuss good Lovecraftian works, bad Lovecraft films, recommend some.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YMjTr2vLKzY
youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
youtube.com/watch?v=mHJl2V1sMxc
youtube.com/watch?v=co6sCbkkP68
lovecraftzine.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/at-the-mountain-of-madness.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody ever responds to my threads

Is it just me or is "In the Mouth of Madness" a bit overrated? It's not that I didn't like it, but it was a letdown.

Add Re-animator

Is THIS lovecraftian enough for you?
youtube.com/watch?v=YMjTr2vLKzY

youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

Also The Void.

Watched it yesterday and it was pretty decent. You have to really just accept that a lot of the motivation/explanation for things is "incomprehensible cosmic magic" or some shit like that. But in that sense its a faithful adaptation. Effects and cinematography + story were fine. Last shot/ending was dumb.

i really liked the practical effects and the cinematography.

Why is this film making the rounds all of a sudden?

Overrated by its cult crowd, but overall it was underrated

Because their internet friends, RedLetterMedia, talked about it

All of JC's movies are overrated. Except The Thing

>pontypool
You do know its based on a zombie radio play right

The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer) has a slight Lovecraftian vibe. Not the vast cosmic end of things, but certainly the 'ancient forgotten cultures' type stuff.

Do you read Stephen King?

Fun movie though

The langoliers.

"Lovecraftian" is a glib facsimile

>glib facsimile

Hello oldfag

THIS IS NOT A DREAM

Saw it for the first time a couple years ago. For all the hype it gets online I was underwhelmed. Then again, a lot of Carpenter's stuff takes a second watching to appreciate.

Agreed. If it wasnt so goddamn campy it could have been great, but I found it to be pretty shit actually

> If it wasnt so goddamn campy it could have been great, but I found it to be pretty shit actually
>could have been great, but it was shit
How exactly is it even remotely campy?

You're kidding right? When is the last time you watched it?
Here's the trailer for a refresher:
>youtube.com/watch?v=mHJl2V1sMxc

Overrated with a 51% RT score? Nah. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the atmosphere of the town he visits is great. Reality/sanity based horror is my favourite.

That's not an answer? Do you know what the word means? Some bad spfx doesn't = camp. The tone and atmosphere of the movie supersedes whatever you're getting at?

This is like one of my Japanese animes

>The tone and atmosphere of the movie supersedes whatever you're getting at?
The tone and atmosphere of the movie are what make it campy, bud. It seems you're the one who doesn't know what that word means. "Campy" essentially means extreme and over-the-top.

Would you suck her cuntflaps after she fisted herself with the bacon and egg sandwich?

P O N T Y P O O L
holy fuck what a flick

Remember watching this a few years back randomly, expectations pretty low, and then really being surprised desu

>doesn't include Re-animator, the only actual lovecraft adaptation that's good and not some shitty arthouse film.

what's lovecraftian about alien?

Unknowable horror

what about this?

Op has got it pretty much covered. There's a low budget Dagon film which I consider to be pretty decent.

This is on my backlog

Is this "lovecraftian"?
What makes a movie "lovecraftian"?

This, to me, is slightly too 'traditional' to be Lovecraftian.

?

how about dagon (2001). its more an adaption of the shadow over innsmouth.

>What makes a movie "lovecraftian"?
The supernatural AND
the macabre AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
everybody gets fucked.

>nobody posted the best lovecraftian film

is this also considert lovecraftian?

The scene where they discover the derelict craft is probably one of the best depictions of the fear of the unknown in film. It is utterly inhuman.

get The Mothman Prophecies on that bitch, OP.

Lovecraftian is a horror where the terrible aspect of the threat is that it comes from a place that is so much larger than humanity and the human experience of the universe. Lovecraftian monsters aren't just scary because they can kill you. They are scary because their very existence disproves God, and dispells the belief that anything on our world is important, or permanent. They put human existence in perspective as being utterly meaningless, powerless and pointless, whilst also having a malicious intent towards us that cannot be properly fought off or defeated, just temporarily blocked.

why didn't you include re-animator

The Brood has good practical effects

better adaption of the color out of space

The story wasn't a comedy though.

The Thing is not Lovecraft.

Aliens is not Lovecraft.

Alien movies, period, are not Lovecraft.

STOP NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT LOVECRAFT IS, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.

That's quite a lovecraftian post I must add.

Its one of my personal favorites desu
But I can see why people don't like it.

A Lovecraft story is hard to effectively be adapted to cinema. They are mostly too short and the horror is too subtle for modern audiences. Think about how they adapted It to be a jumpscare shitshow. Now imagine how they would adapt the Mountains of Madness, the Mound, Call of Cthulhu, or the Shadow out of Time which are mostly expositions of Lovecraft mythos and globe trotting. Imagine the jump scare of the giant penguins and the shaggoth. It is best to avoid representing lovecraftian monsters in film, because part of the horror is imagining what they look like based on the vague descriptions.

If you want a Lovecraft story adaptation look to either the Whisperer in the Darkness or the Rats in the Walls; two of his best stories.

Usually a 50% just means there is a divisive element among critics, its usually like that with campy cult films.

Eh
I mean it could technically fall under that banner, but really thats more of a folk horror film in the same vein as The Wicker Man (not the original though oh god)

The Whisperer in the Darkness is a great one. There is an adaptation of it on YouTube which is very faithful to the story. The Rats in the Walls would be a good movie because there are no Lovecraftian monsters to represent on the silver screen; only human quadrapeds.

Silent Kino

Also here, take the script to the never completed Del Toro Mountains of Madness

quality increased from tacky to awesome near the end, Macarena Gómez a cute

Replace the monster in the Thing with a Shoggoth and add more Cthulhu mythos and you have At The Mountains of Madness.

The Elder Things in At The Mountains of Madness were extraterrestrial and the Shaggoth were created by them. There are definitely aliens Lovecraft.

So these posters cannot comprehend it? Hmmm....the unknown...the incomprehensible...is this, dare I say it, a Lovecraftian post?

Romance KINO

gave me nightmares for weeks. totally underrated.

it's not lovecraft but it is lovecraftian, I'd go as far as saying predator was lovecraftian too

The story was definitely a dark comedy it was just a hell of a lot more subtle.

Love-craftian

I was just about to post this, really fun movie

it was fucking retarded

They should have just leaned even harder on their cult aesthetics and practical effects. Far too many long drawn out scenes with bad actors and bad dialogue, almost as if they thought it was really good stuff when making it.

been meaning to watch this

this is the only good thing the director of that shit film has done: youtube.com/watch?v=co6sCbkkP68

and it's probably because it's less than 5 minutes long.

Big Trouble in Little China is one of the most underrated movies of all time.

by this logic all movies with aliens and monsters are lovecraftian

fuckin awesome my dude

lovecraftzine.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/at-the-mountain-of-madness.pdf

Shit forgot link

Fucking dogshit movie

Damn, that's actually pretty good.

Anyone seen this gem? Definitely had some Lovecraftian in it.

Add Angel Heart

Bump

Possibly. I really loved that movie because of the weirdness and unexplained shit. If I remember right it's actually about demons, so that technically wouldn't be lovecraftian, but I think it has enough of that unknown/unexplained aspect to qualify.

I'd say so, at least partially.

The cosmic unknowable. Traditional satanic lore is not cosmic nor unknowable.