It's 1999 and you see The Matrix at the cinema. What's your reaction?

It's 1999 and you see The Matrix at the cinema. What's your reaction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PdBrofCMZj8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dude! We live in the Matrix!

I whant to be Keanu Reeves.

"that was stupid. these directors should cut their dicks off."

Seriously though, I've never been as hyped than after seeing Matrix for the first time, even if it was in shitty VHS quality. I must have rewinded that tape hundreds of times just to rewatch the lobby fight.

Much better than I anticipated. Saw it with the love of my life in a drive-in. She's long gone now :(

goddamn

>buys an all black trench coat
>buys some shades
>shaves neckbeard
>buys fingerless gloves
I am teh won.

how did she die

Woah.

I ran home like an autistic faggot. I was 16. I saw it two more times in the theater.

>Day of
Duuude, that was fucking cool. So crazy.

>about a week after
Man... That movie was fucking dumb

DUDE WHAT IF HE TAKES BOTH PILLS?!?!?!?!

Weird dude..for some reason now I feel like girl in a male body..

Wow women can make good movies!

I went to see it again the day after, I thought it was the best shit ever, bought the vhs the first day it was out
I was 11, but I still rewatch it from time to time

Faggot

I should have stayed home and watched Blade Runner.

Can I get my money back?

>I feel like I just drank an entire case of Mountain Dew.
t. My dad after seeing the Matrix, 1999.

I saw the Matrix in the theaters and it was the hottest shit we had ever seen. 1999 was such a good year (I was 17)

I need to read Simulacra and Simulation.

I'd heard before seeing it that it was "smart" so I kept waiting for what seemed to me to be the obvious twist: That Zion isn't outside the Matrix at all, but is a "second layer". But no, the movie was as dumb as it seemed.

he becomes a radical centrist.

Zion wasn't even in the first movie, ya tool.

>spend weeks trying to do "the matrix" as we called it
>try to lean back like Neo in the bullet time scene
>always fall on my ass

feel like i was watching a batman flick then i got p awed at the main reveal.

To be honest didnt watch the trailer tv or internet mememachine (whatsthematrix.com) so i thought the matrix was just a heist kinda movie.
Got p surprised at the theater.

My sides

This. Oldfag here who saw it in the theater. It was pretty mindblowing. Went straight to the record store and bought the soundtrack.

*shoots up high school*

your fault for watching Welt am Draht.

I was absolutely blown away. Went to see it with a friend after excitement had been building for weeks with all the previews. It's all anyone at school was talking about. We were 12 so didn't really understand it all on the first watch. Probably went to see it a half dozen times. Loved it.

Whoa

Recreate the lobby scene wih legos

Why am I at the theater?

Live action Second Renaissance when?

Mind blown. I watched it at opening night, went into theater without any expectations, there wasn't much hype about it or massive marketing campaign.

Yup.

>Went straight to the record store and bought the soundtrack.

This is how Rammstein actually got popular around the world.

I can't wait to get home and dial up into the internet so someone can explain what the fuck I just saw.

I don't know if OP expects genuine answers, but I went into see The Matrix at the cinema in the UK the week it was released in 1999 completely and utterly BLIND (figuratively) I had no knowledge whatsoever of the plot, had never seen a single second of footage. No reviews read. Absolutely no idea what it was to do with - from the poster I guessed it was SF, that's all.

It blew my fucking MIND. Probably the best experience I ever had in a cinema. When Neo took the red pill I thought "um, he's probably going to notice there are bad guys disguised as normal people like in They Live." FUCK was I not prepared for what happened next

Jesus, man. Pick yourself up. You're making me depressed.

Why are people cheering at such shitty characters?

Neat it's like Dark City but better.

>it's like Dark City but better
>better

I did see The Matrix for the first time at the cinema, and my reaction was:"Damn, I'm glad I saw that. That was incredible. I can't wait to see it again in the cinema, and on DVD. That was one of the best new movies I've seen in a long time."

8/10 bretty gud

Same as this old fuck, think I was 22 when this came out. The music was already dated when it came out though.

>at the cinema
>not DL'ing with 20kBps on DC

Not bad at all old boy.

dark city wasnt even a thing here in EU. i didnt even heard of it since 2010s

I feel like the Matrix is the last big instant classic movie Hollywood has ever made. You know, the ones everyone needs to see or you're a complete pleb and the ones that are remembered and cherished for years to come.

That's not the Dark Knight.

Literally just a flavor of the month because Heat Legend died.

You forgot about the LotR trilogy.

oldfag here, was 25 when I saw matrix in the theater. overall I thought it was OK, very reminescent of the Hong Kong flicks I watched in the early 90s mixed with anime themes. strong-ish first act, boring after Morpheus rescue. sympathized with cypher, hated the whole "let's kill most of the team in one sequence" crap that so many American action films did around that time. it's also quite boring to watch people shoot guns at each other after you watched the best of John woo years before. also, neo has no character development at all, and watching Keanu stiffly perform martial arts ruined my immersion at times.

overall there's some cool shit in there but the fiction didn't work for me. didn't see the value of the "real world" when you spend it dirty, vitamin d deficient, eating soggy cereal and running from robot octopi. needed more development on why the illusion world was not good.

I saw matrix, fight club, dark city at the movie theaters. It was mind blowing at that time that so much cgi intensive movies were that good. It defined genre that cgi movies can hang with classic special effects. Keanue was a small meme actor; after matrix, a movie star.

Did they actually have the surgery?

I never saw it in the theater, unfortunately. But my reaction would be to go home and masturbate in the bathtub to fantasies of Trinity's tightly packaged flesh stuffed in polyvinyl, then regret masturbating in the bathtub because I came in the bathwater and it got on my leg and now my leg hairs are all uncomfortably matted like when you would spill glue on yourself as a kid in school.

>playing this game at the arcade in the mall
>doing the Neo backbend move thinking you were really clever and original and funny

Gonna start making homemade films where I save some kids with guns and trench coats

>What's your reaction?

I laugh at the unintentional hilarious when Keanu says he knows kung fu.

I wonder how anyone could have thought a butch dyke like Carrie Anne Moss would have made a good female lead.

I realize this film is all style and zero substance. And the plot falls apart if you examine it too closely.

Should have went to see The 13th Floor.

>grasping so hard at straws

>the plot falls apart if you start trying to logically explain fake technology that exists thousands of years in the future
yeah wonder why

youtu.be/PdBrofCMZj8

>just shut your brain off!

damn

Man, i really envy all the anons that experienced The Matrix in the theater.

Woha!

>wow i'm sure this movie's style won't feel dated in 10 years

Nice but I can't wait until Robert Downey Jr carries a series of 28 forgettable films

Zero reaction. Too busy watching quality kino back in 1999.

Checked and underrated

>That Zion isn't outside the Matrix at all, but is a "second layer"
Dude layers lmao.

that's where one can clearly see matrix was a failure at promoting hacker's life, which is suppose to be neo's life.
no wonder why.

This, I was blown away. Just a shame the sequels were gash.

There used to be this awesome website for movie junkies named "Coming Attractions". corona.bc.ca / films . It's still probably considered the best ever Canadian web site. There is still a "Coming Attractions" web site, the domain name I just posted redirect to it, but it is a shadow of its former self.

Because of the Coming Attractions website, I knew about "The Matrix" movie about a year before it opened in theaters. It's still the most anticipated movie I remember learning about early from the Coming Attractions web site. After all this time, it's still my personal favorite movie. The only thing that eclipses it is my hatred for the second and third Matrix movies. I consider "Keanu" to be the second-best Matrix-related movie.

Same.