Where were you when the physics Jew was finally BTFO

Where were you when the physics Jew was finally BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/the-impossible-em-drive-is-about-to-be-tested-in-space
arxiv.org/pdf/1506.00494.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=lVeP6oqH-Qo
digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/nasa-confirms-impossible-space-drive-actually-works-revolutionize-space-travel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hi weev

I miss Space Elevator threads :(

is this about the emdrive? Is the thrust from the new nasa paper even worth it? I don't really understand these thrust numbers and how far we can get with it.

this is the canneadrive
the direct competitor of the emdrive
basically the same principle though
if this one works they plan on making a supersized version of it

Me too user, me too...

The trust is very small but not having to carry reaction mass would completely change the game for interstellar spacecraft design since you can continue to accelerate as long as you have electrical power. They could probably also use it to replace the small thrusters on satellites for orbital adjustments but that shit is boring.

Same here :(

The orbital adjustment application sounds boring, but it's incredibly important.

So lets say we have one of these drives with a nuclear reactor or with enough solar panels to power it. How long would it take to reach almost light speed?

This sort of shit shows just how far away from science wa have strayed.

I seriously cannot believe people are giving credence to a perpetual motion machine.

Never. It doesn't produce thrust. It cannot.

>it doesn't produce thrust
it does though
very little

Boring but game changing as the same satellites could focus space on function and power production with longer term designs in mind. Less need of new satellites vs hardware upgrades.

>perpetual motion machine.
it's not a perpetual motion machine
it consumes energy

It's an enclosed cavity. Nothing leaves it, so no thrust can be made.

It's more likely that evolution is wrong than conservation of momentum is wrong.

What will you do if it works, and in 15 years we will be sending ships all over the system?

It's not a perpetual motion machine. It requires energy input

We haven't determined this. All the testing is inconclusive. People just won't let it die.

Yeah it would massively increase satellite lifespans and allow for much larger changes in orbital trajectory but it's not very sexy compared to interstellar electric spaceships.

Assuming it works I have no idea what the theoretical upper limits of the design are and I doubt even people who know much more about it's theorized methods of operation could tell you either.

and yet multiple tests and a peer reviewed paper by eagleworks show that it does

It is in the same vein as a perpetual motion machine because it's says that fundamental constants aren't.

So yes, it's no different than if they were testing a perpetual motion machine. Both are incredible insults to the concept of science.

But its not? It's a energy to thrust without fuel device.

Give up on knowledge forever. Because if we determined the conservation of momentum as accurately as we have and it's wrong, then it is impossible to ever understand any aspect of the universe.

>incredible insults to the concept of science.
what
we already know that our current understanding of the laws of physics are wrong
we just don't have a better one yet

This thrust is small but it adds up in space with little friction. Plus you dont have to carry fuel which is going to change the game.

>people, listen, the Earth is not flat, it's actually round!
>what are incredible insults to the concept of science, burn him

F

Eagle works are a small group of undereducated staffers at nasa who give credence to any nonsense they think will bolster their careers. They do not have the expertise or the credibility to make anything they say worth the paper it's printed on. Before this, they were trying to make a warp drive using alcubierres rhetorical thought experiments.

Will the memedrive work this time?

Get fusion working, put a tokomak in space, and just watch how much this engine changes spaceflight.

Post link nigger.

>Give up on knowledge forever. Because if we determined the conservation of momentum as accurately as we have and it's wrong, then it is impossible to ever understand any aspect of the universe.
this is bullshit
our current laws of physics suck
if we truly understood the universe we would have a single theory of everything

The tests show it does. The conservation of momentum is a pretty strong rule to see broken however.

Seeing a real life in space test is good however.

Most likely we just dont understand where the thrust is getting energy from if we can figure out where its coming from we can decide if it is useful and if it can be improved.

Holy fuck if this can be improved well Go to everything in our solar system and maybe beyond.

Pop science thinks we're wrong.

Actual physicists know that physics reached the bottom of the barrel in the late 1940s.

>Crazy autistic Brit makes EMDrive in his shed
>Gets it stolen by Chinks
>Chinks make it, it works
>NASA finds out
>Steals it, tests it out, see it works
>Russia finds out
>Steals it, tests it out, see it works

Now NASA has produced ANOTHER peer reviewed paper saying it seems to be working.

No it isn't the direct competitor. It's a EM Drive with slight variation. It is still based on the original EM Drive.

This is the EM Drive.

What is this

I've never been to space elevator threads

even if bullshit it seems pretty interesting
also this is made using private funds so who cares if it fails

Can't believe that in 2016 (supposed to be the distant future in many 80s films) this is the best we can come up with. So much for human engine unity

You'd have to look at how it generates thrust. I'm not familiar enough to answer but the thrust is derived by something, that is 2 different states of some medium, if those get two close together, then there is effectively no thrust and it could even slow itself down.

I'd love an actual link to the science behind it but I can't be arsed to look.

But it isn't a perpetual motion machine. It requires a power source to move, it just doesn't burn fuel to do it, meaning no bulky containers to hold the fuel are needed to maintain propulsion.

it's an engine that seems to produce thrust without it having to burn fuel
as in electricity directly to thrust
it seems to be working but we're not sure
it would break the law of consersation of momentum

sciencealert.com/the-impossible-em-drive-is-about-to-be-tested-in-space

specific source

Our models have been broken before. Also its likely its getting energy from somewhere we do not understand. Likely outside of Newtonian physics. That is if the thrust is real and is not being accidentally created in the lab somehow.

There was a guy who had convinced a ton of people he taught a horse math. Then one day the hundredth or so person watched him demonstrate it. Turns out the horse had learned to read the guys eye brows not do math.

Could be that kind of situation and if so getting real life tests going will help us understand what is happening.

space elevator threads were the comfiest threads on Sup Forums

Based Chinese making space travel possible.

>it could even slow itself down
That is still producing thrust.

I know it's going to fail, but I do hope I'm wrong. The laws of physics are incredibly restrictive. It would be amazing to break them.

i', torn on this, it's full of scammers and the results of this €25K satellite gofundme to launch a satellite will have no scientific basis and the results will likely be meaningless.

But it's also a tiny amount of money spread around a lot of scammers and some dreamers so a cheap DIY experiment that could help people understand the scientific process and get others to try shots in the dark with space tech.

Do you think hes doing ok?

This shit is crackpot and I don't even know why it's being discussed. Media brings this shit up every couple months. Reactionless things don't exist. EM waves carry some momentum, but this is not reactionless. Would be very inefficient as well.

Physics Phd..

Mandatory reminder that reactioless drives violate first law of thermodynamics and can produce energy form nothing
arxiv.org/pdf/1506.00494.pdf

>people thinking we know everything there is to know about physics

lmao at you plebs, see you on earth two in twenty years

In the cavity the input photons will bounce back and forth, and invariably some of them will interfere completely destructively," they wrote. Then the two photons will be exactly 180 degrees out phase.

>It uses electromagnetic waves as 'fuel', creating thrust by bouncing microwave photons back and forth inside a cone-shaped closed metal cavity. This causes the 'pointy end' of the EM Drive to accelerate in the opposite direction that the drive is going.
So it's a cone with shit shaking up inside. And somehow this state pushes more towards the pointy end.
I've heard of physics-defying shit but this just sounds silly

>engine unity
>a fucking leaf
>le ebin 2016 may may
shitpost harder

Its the flow of electrons creating a force, just like in a floating magnet. There is nothing complex or advanced about understanding this.

Well NASA did come up with positive thrust results. Supposedly, a peer reviewed paper on it is going to come out soon. I'm cautiously optimistic.

It would be breddi gud if it actually works. Just imagine being able to say that our space engines are energy popcorn cones.

Does this really break the laws of conservation of momentum? Are we not just looking at our faraday cages not blocking everything or something else?

The emission is probably pushing off of something we just dont understand what.

Seeing this in action away from earth would be useful as fuck experimentation wise.

>but this just sounds silly

it's not silly if it works

Honestly, just because a paper is peer reviewed, it doesn't mean it's worth anything.
One of the first thing I did at my masters degree was to look through random papers and determine if they were shit or not.
Surprise, a LOT of them were just bad and didn't prove a thing.

in a class at my masters degree, rather.

If the drive does actually work, chances are pretty good it does not work at all as the inventor claims it does because his explanation is completely nonsensical.

Memedrive 2: Meme Harder

Well true, but reporting a positive thrust in a legit paper would be pretty important. If this shit ends up working in space too, we genuinely have a revolution in space technology on our hands.

It seems that like Newton and Leibniz with calculus Shawyer (EM-drive) and Fetta(Cannae drive) independently stumbled upon the perceived EM-drive effect. The principle is the same. Put microwaves in a closed cavity and you get (allegedly) thrust. the only difference I believe is the shape of the frustum

Yes but the problem is it is not net zero. And if its in an experiment I assume that wrapped the fucker in a faraday cages to avoid magnetic fields and shit to push off of.

Getting it away from earth and our large effect on the immediate area should teach us something.

Energy lost through destructive interference turns up in constructive interference.

Anyone have a link to a paper of a test...? Wondering how many watts they use.

According to that pop science article, it's a modifed version of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=lVeP6oqH-Qo
Sure, I'm massively oversimplifying a topic I'm no expert in.
Then again, if the Magnus effect exists, you can believe anything.

>EM Drive
>working
implying

True but that is why getting this thing away from earth and testing it is exciting. If something is going to debunk or prove it this likely is the right direction.

Is it true that we've had this technology since microwave ovens?

F

> em-drive
looks like a machine that could do something or be attached to something

> cannae
> a reject art project
strapped with fucking zip-ties

>Seeing this in action away from earth would be useful as fuck experimentation wise.
Yep. You have to experiment and test shit, even if it looks insane or dumb or whatever. Literally no harm done if you launch some small satellite to test it. Goddamn children got their satellites launching for shit and giggles. And if it not work, welp, too bad, back to square one. But if it works, then it's not a problem with engine, it's a problem with our current understanding of physics, and we will have to review a lot of thing and made a lot of new discovers. I dunno why some people chimpout on this.

This is a British invention.

>butthurt physics jew detected

Kill yourself, jew.

One possible explanation I've heard is that these drives are pushing around quantum vacuum particles, which are constantly phasing in and out of existence all around us.

>Both are incredible insults to the concept of science.
You're a retard. Experimental science works on the principle that something is agreed to be true until proven otherwise. Nothing is ever set in stone. Things just keep getting verified until they are not.
If the emdrive reliably and repeatably works, then it's our understanding of physics that has to adapt.

>I dunno why some people chimpout on this.
ego
and career
and loss of funding

digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/nasa-confirms-impossible-space-drive-actually-works-revolutionize-space-travel/

You do realize these are the first steps toward Impulse power, right?

F

You don't understand the effects radiolinear (microwave) energy has on mass on a quantum level, do you?

Impulse drives in Star Trek are fusion drives, this is a billion times better than that.

A lot of people are retarded like this. They basically treat "science" like a religion with dogma they can browbeat other people with.

Then when actual new science comes out (Pluto not a planet, EM-drive) they lose their shit, just like a religious person would at the "heresy".

I've been worried "science" would become the new religion for years now.

No, the reactor that creates the energy to energize an Impulse drive is a nuclear fusion reactor. The actual dynamic energic output of an Impulse drive is radiolinear. Look that up.

>implying its not already sabotaged and the media will tell you 'see you idiots? it doesnt work!"

Hypothetically it's possible the effect it uses to generate thrust breaks down as it's speed increases. Obviously this is almost certainly not the case but I don't think it's a good idea to dismiss the possibility of it working if it's method of operation isn't understood.

>We shouldn't experiment because the experiment might fail
>I shouldn't try to work because I might fail
etc.

>nothing is ever set in stone

Anti-science people like you are why humanity is doomed.

Go ahead. keep saying F=MA is wrong, you nutcase frog.

Good to see theres some old anons here :)

There is literally nothing wrong with zip ties

Learn that from Deepak Chopra or Interstellar?

This is officially a perpetual motion thread now. How pathetic, even for Sup Forums.

Carry on his legacy.

Why would "the media" even want to do something like that? People have been waiting for some sci-fi tier tech breakthrough like this one since forever. it'd make a fantastic news story.

>So we should spend billions to test all perpetual motion machines as fully as we possibly can

>Also, we need to find bigfoot, and the loch ness monster, and the moth man, and the bermuda triangle, and the center of the earth, because we just don't know!

What a fucking travesty.

Kek wills it so

>Pluto declassified as a planet
>science
Choose at most one