Green Lantern

Why didn't the Green Lantern ring choose Superman Sup Forums? Isn't he impervious to 99% to anything the physical world throws at him? Pretty sure he's almost without fear.

Hal was closer.

It's not about being without fear, it's about overcoming great fear.

In Up Up and Away this very thing happened, although it was Clark who received the ring, not Superman.

Probably because the guardians wouldn't want to deal with trying to control someone who was already powerful enough to destroy them without ring magic.

Proximity and urgency. Abin Sur was dying and needed to impart a message before passing. So Hal was the closest and fastest option.

in other words, fate had a different plan for Hal Jordan.

And Guy Gardner, because according to the ring Guy Garner was the ideal candidate, but since Abin Sur didn't had much time and needed to pass his message the ring got Hal because he was closer.

I like that it wasn't even that big a deal, Hal just showed up and was like hey want a ring

There was a rule about giving the ring to a non-native species. That's what this says.

I'd like to think the Guardians have this rule so less developed worlds don't end up having some random alien as their lantern. It probably sits better to have someone from the local population picked.

But what if space sectors have several inhabited worlds?

I think this was also a story that retconned that Hal actually didn't have the ability to feel fear because Abin Sur removed it from his brain prior to giving him the ring. The better reasoning is that Hal is just older than Superman.

He deserves a blue ring more.

So Batman doesn't have the power to overcome great fear I take it?

No, he still have nightmares about his parents

I'm kind of disappointed he didn't get a blue or indigo ring during Blackest Night desu.

>I think this was also a story that retconned that Hal actually didn't have the ability to feel fear because Abin Sur removed it from his brain prior to giving him the ring
yeah that was a PAD story from Action Comics Weekly and it's never been brought up again (for good reason, it's dumb)

Because Superman gets his power from our yellow sun, and the ring is weak to the color yellow. So Clark would've traded his Superman powers for Green Lantern powers. That's a very bad trade if you ask me.

It's not that Batman doesn't have the will-power, but rather that he won't forgive or forget. He's the type of dude that use the time his parents died as pass-word. He's always nurturing pain and fear.

He's basically the exact thing the Rings were designed to fight.

Sodam Yat also derives power from a yellow sun and he's a Green Lantern. And isn't the yellow weakness not a thing anymore?

>be Supes
>use GL ring
>shit begins to run out of juice in space
>goad yellow lantern to chuck me into a yellow sun
>OH NO MUH WEAKNESS YELLOW SUN
>speed blitz everyone later

Supes picks up a yellow ring from Sinestro in Injustice since it's powered by fear -- namely the fear of everyone on the planet.

Why didn't the ring choose Diana?

batman's willpower comes from fear so he's "tainted" according to the story where batman gets a ring

Post characters from non-DC media who could become Lanterns.
>Blue

so the artist could draw her in a skimpy star sapphire outfit

Isn't Batman's motivations due to rage? Wouldn't he be more of a red lantern kind of guy?

He fears what his foes could do to his loved ones. He fears what would happen if he wasn't paying attention when some crisis happens.

Also he was probably twelve sectors away battling space bugs.

I'm not sure how canon the story is, but wasn't Tomar Re the Lantern of Krypton when it blew up, and the Guardians prioritized protecting it because they projected that the son of Jor-El would make a great GL, but when it all goes down and he becomes Superman, protector of the universe, they're just like "Eh, close enough."

Bats has all kinds of red, yellow, and green in him. he's probably too emotionally fucked for any particular ring to fit him well. Phantom Ring Bats tho

>He fears what his foes could do to his loved ones. He fears what would happen if he wasn't paying attention when some crisis happens.

And Hal doesnt?

Hal overcomes it

Orange
He'd give Larfleeze a run for his latinum

Tenth Rule of Acquisition

>"Greed is eternal."

Asami has never demonstrated exceptional willpower.

Why didn't the ring choose him?

Yellow lantern

Yup. Batman's actually a boiling stool of emotions. He's emotional as fuck. He simple know how to disassociate himself from his emotions thanks to his training.

That's why Batman's constantly feeling guilty about everything. Dude cares and feels too much. He just doesn't show or doesn't know how to express.

Right? I find hilarious when people say shit like that as if it was unique to Superman.

2814 DOES have more than one inhabited world, hence Abin Sur.

But the rings recruit by proximity. The NEAREST person to the dead GL who "can overcome great fear"

And Abin crashed on the So-Cal coastline.

Yes, he has, it's just that Johns is a hack. Anyway Johns tried to push that you needed an special kind of willpower.and then forgot about that.
Johns doesn't know shit about batman.

>you needed an special kind of willpower
The fuck? What kind of willpower do you need?

No but she does suffer a lot, which is also a requirement for being a GL

I can see the whole "overcoming the trauma and moving on" as a set-back when it comes to Batman.

Say that Hal can use the ring because he overcome his father's death and his fears. He put it all behind him and now he's in a better place. Let's say that for you to use the ring you need to muster pure unaltered willpower.

Batman certainly can't and won't do that. He won't overcome and move past his parent's death. Their death will always serve as a motivation and constant focus so that he can muster the willpower to go on. Tap that horrible night and the emotions they stir in him like fear, outrage, rage and so on. That could serve as a good reason for why he can't use the ring. Because his willpower comes from a very dark and muddle place filled with conflicting and wild emotions.

He does not have the will to do what needs to be done.

>Sodam Yat

Whatever happened to that guy?. Last i knew he got kidnapped by 3-eyes psychic bad guy during the crona arc after Brightest day

I wonder what Toucan Sam's crime was.

did this pic imply dick grayson could have become green lantern

or is that masked teenager not robin

This

That would be an interesting episode really, if an enemy uses all the doctor's previous personalities against him like a weapon trying to overload his ability to function. Has it been done before somewhere?

Briefly in season 6. "Almost People" has a clone made of the Doctor who almost goes insane in the first 30 seconds of life because he's bombarded by all the Doctor's previous personalities and lives.

No, they actively interfered in Tomar Re's efforts to save Krypton

You know, in a crossover continuity who would get the role of the 'Oldest Race in the Universe'? The Guardians or Gallifreyans?

A Green Lantern ring might be a step down for Samus, imo

They're both equally old.

I seem to recall Ollie had trouble using Hal's ring in an issue because his willpower was 'tainted with cynicism' or something to that effect.

Well, you don't see his nephews anywhere, do you?

He showed up in post-Johns GLC and did nothing for a couple issues, hasn't shown up again

He's 10/10 on intelligence.

He's 10/10 on imagination.

He's 2/10 on doing what the Guardians want.

And now you know why.

I think the Guardians made a rule about Kryptonians not getting rings

The ruling, IIRC, was that because Clark wasn't a native of the sector

Batman's whole purpose is instilling fear.

Since when Hal ever listened to the Guardians?

Wrong, Drax is white

One good reason for Superman to be a poor fit for a Green Lantern's Power Ring is that Superman, despite being confident and courageous, doesn't really flex his will all that much. Most of the time he's holding himself back, not pushing forward. He's optimistic and courageous, but rarely have to push his body and soul to the breaking point.

As was pointed out in this thread several times... not only do they regret him getting the ring but other, better, choices were out there. There just wasn't time/proximity to find them. With Superman it's more obvious he couldn't be controlled. Especially considering how pragmatic (read they'll sell you out in a heartbeat to serve their own purposes) the Guardians can be and considering how idealistic Superman is.

Will power isn't about not feeling fear, its about overcoming it

Never feeling it actually makes you weaker in this case.

Are you only strong when you have cheat mode engaged in life, or are you strong even when its a risk to yourself personally and you don't stand a chance. Are you Superman where you can stand fearless because the world is made out of cardboard to you, or are you Dan Turpin who calls Darkseid a shit to his face and dies for it.

He kinda doesn't, he doesn't want to overcome it, he needs that fear.

I mean one of the core character traits of Superman is that the powers aren't what make him Superman

But his powers make his life easy (and also hard). Superman constantly have to watch himself and hold it in. He rarely have the opportunity to let out, much less go past the breaking point. Superman's mostly unaware of his own limits.

In the story there was an entire plot point the Guardians had to spend a great deal of time manipulating Batman precisely BECAUSE he wouldn't let it go.

This loses a lot of meaning after the thirtieth time he gives the world of cardboard speech in some manner, saying he was holding back all along and there was never a challenge.

we have objective measures of this
1) Several characters with the powers of Superman who are not Superman
2) Several instances of Superman losing his powers and continuing to be a hero in some capacity

Post-Crisis whenever he lost his powers would take the chance to chill out and enjoy being human, since he almost kinda resented the fact that he wasn't technically human.

Nu52 Superman became scared and desperate as fuck to get his powers back, and ended up fucking his body trying to jump-start his powers back.

Very fitting. Or blue for having the hope to redeem the Krogans.