Nationalizing Railways

Is it a good idea?

Was just discussing this on /britpol/, but thought I'd open it up to the rest of you faggots. I'm pretty clueless so gib me da redpill, Sup Forums

Do natural monopolies form in the train business?

Can the gubmint really compete with the free market? or are anarcho-capitalists BTFO by this issue?

Is having private trains and nationalized tracks, like in Bongland, a recipe for an expensive disaster?
(we pay up to 4x more than mainland Europe, who for the most part have nationalized everything)

How does it work in your country?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_minaret_referendum,_2009
gobrightline.com
metro.co.uk/2016/09/06/new-train-which-could-go-from-london-to-manchester-in-18-minutes-could-come-to-uk-6113345/
youtube.com/watch?v=mbEfzuCLoAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As long as it is cheaper i'm fine with it.

I'd love it. Rail fare would be hella cheap and i'd be able to go around the UK visiting friends for nothing. However, British rail in the past was diabolical when it was nationalised. Still, can't be worse than London Midland... or Arrivia...

its like this in Canada

since the gooberment did build all the tracks VIA (passenger) CP and CN(freight) are all crown owned other companies use the lines or have built there own onto a main line but pay out of the ass

point being who ever builds the rail track has the rights to do X

>Crown owned

gib me my rightful revenues canada

also, they're on about building a tunnel train that goes form London to manchester in 45 minutes.....Fuckries

DONT, IT DOESNT WORK

CP and CN are NOT owned by the crown

The Canadian crown is distinct from the English one, even though we share the same monarch

Most of polish operators are state-owned. Costs are decent when you travel short distances, but when they get bigger well then for people who don't have discounts it's pretty fucking expensive, but Poland is a poor country in general. There's one privatized operator, but afaik works only on short distances and provides very short trains. The quality and price is great though, it's cheaper than the cheapest state operator. But as I pointed, it provides less trains and only on routes that are profitable

Does she try to fit them all on her head at once, or does she wear them one at a time?

Amtrak is a fucking disaster so I'm gonna go with no

Lack of competition to innovation is never good

She appoints deputies to each of her 14 (?) realms. Those deputies carry the title of Governor General and fill the ceremonial role as head of state in each of those countries in absence of the Queen.

To drive innovation*

nationalising an industry is a great way to invite state-level bureaucracy and entitled unionisation in order to make things costlier, slower, and less efficient.

nationalising your rail system is a mistake if it turns a profit. It only works as a positive if it is heavily subsidised by the national government to the advantage of a small but vocal minority, i.e. canada's via rail.

Here for regional service we only have Trenitalia, which is state-owned.
However, for high-speed rail there is NTV which is a private company operating on the state-run railway, and they even manage to be more affordable than Trenitalia in that niche, only catch is it is often hours late since the state railways always give priority to the state company.

Tbh it really depends if they will allow other companies to operate at an affordable price.

agreed. nationalisation encourages complacency, which is a corporate culture that ultimately kills efficiency and dedication to one's work. It gets worse when you get union protection that contributes to the tune of 100s of millions each election, i.e. SEIU & CUPE

Yes. Do you british retards seriously have a private rail system

Britbongs
>No Guns
>90% Muslim
>Private Rail system

What a joke country

Doesn't Amtrak operate mostly on the preexisting private rail infrastructure though?

I used to be dead against it because I fell for the libertarianism meme, but now I'm all for it. The state of UK trains is ridiculous. It's literally more expensive for me to stand on a crowded train in uncomfortable conditions then it is for me to just pay for my petrol and drive myself from A to B comfortably. The big train companies don't really need to change because they have a monopoly on their own routes.

With the SBB I pay 3k a year and can travel on any metro, any bus, and train, any tram, any boat. I can travel to any part of Switzerland.

The trains are never more than 30-40 seconds late. The rarest trains run every 30 minutes. Innercity metro runs every 2-4 minutes.

How do dare you consider your self first world if your public transport is below this tier.

You scum

the commonwelath realms independents crowns were only created in the 80s to stop republican movments

We have a lower percentage of Muslims than you do and in my part of the UK we can carry loaded handguns that can be used to kill those threatening us, which is impossible in Shitzerland.

That's not too impressive considering your country is the size of my back garden.

PKP pendelino is like 500zl though

It's easy in the smaller European countries because they have one "capital" the size of Doncaster and two lines that service about thirty people, so combined with their 95 percent income tax and VAT it's easy to have state run rail.

In the modern world, where people do things like have children and own property, owning a car is more practical.

>private rail
No such thing here for passenger transport. Everything is state or federal owned.

And no they don't usually use the freight lines

>The big train companies don't really need to change because they have a monopoly on their own routes.

Yeah. What free market advocates tend to forget is that the mechanism behind the benefits of the market is competition. No competition, no benefits.

Yes, you can go to lovely places such as Geneva and Lausanne. Don't forget the wonderful town of St Gallen, which has the demographics of Aleppo with more concrete.

The only good thing about your country is that it has excellent roads (don't drive too loud on them though, because the Polizei will execute you) that lead into Austria and Italy, which is far better in every possible way.

>a tunnel from London to Manchester
Are you retarded

It's quite a good idea. We could then seal the entire population of both cities in the tunnel, then incinerate it.

You can carry loaded weapons here. You can't own sharpened spoons in bongstan

Your country is not much larger than mine. Your rail system is so laughably pathetic you're not even what I consider 1st world. England it self is only 3x larger. If your garden is that size well congrats on being a failed Monarch. Meme-Tier country

Lausanne is amazing. You don't know shit. Your capital is literally majority muslims. Get out bong. Ohh wait, you can't get out because your parliament will delay article 50 until they can justify ignoring your vote :}

ITT triggered knife-binners

>149
>221

:)

Too poor to afford a train system. Maybe the Saudis will buy one for you after they're done t aking over your meme-country

What's that? More GRAPHS?

>Do natural monopolies form in the train business?

Yeah I'd say so, it's very difficult to have effective competition when there's just one rail network, and it's not like people pick and choose which trains to catch based on which company operates them, they just go with whichever arrives first.

>Bongstan rapidly approaching turk-IQs
>Too stupid to be trusted with a sharpened spoon

>You can carry loaded weapons here. You can't own sharpened spoons in bongstan

I live in Northern Ireland. You absolutely can conceal carry a loaded weapon here, which is not possible in Switzerland and hasn't been since the 1980s.

>Lausanne is amazing. You don't know shit
I had to spend a month there once. Not only was it full of Muslims, it was also disgusting and filthy.

Walking out of Geneva railway station, and you immediately see a huge piece of graffiti that says REFUGEES WELCOME. I know this, because I was there last week. It was also there last year, and the year before, when I had the displeasure of being in your country.

You have a higher amount of Muslims than the UK, ridiculous laws, no culture, concrete everything and £15 beer. There are more Muslims in any Swiss city, as a percentage, than anywhere in the UK. Geneva is roughly 60 percent African and Muslim.

All public transport should be nationalised. Make it integrated, modern, efficient and green.

yes but EU jews dont like it
fuck them

i'd rather just own a fucking train

>Northern Ireland

I like how you admit to living in a colony of people who can't figure out dental hygiene

>Bin that knife potato nigger

>Islam in Switzerland has mostly arrived via immigration since the late 20th century. Numbering below 1% of total population in 1980, the fraction of Muslims in the population of permanent residents in Switzerland has quintupled in thirty years, estimated at just above 5% as of 2013.[

That was before your beloved refugees were welcomed in by the hundreds of thousands. Don't pretend you have stopped any of them, either.

This. The EU is capitalist as fuck. There's a reason the rail union here advocated Brexit

oh wait you're just mad that jeremy corbyn was caught not telling the truth

Here in Stockholm we moved into your model, our prices went from around 400 sek to 1200 sek a month in 2 years, your model is shit, and yes. It becomes a monopoly.

>I had to spend a month there once. Not only was it full of Muslims, it was also disgusting and filthy.
>Walking out of Geneva railway station, and you immediately see a huge piece of graffiti that says REFUGEES WELCOME. I know this, because I was there last week. It was also there last year, and the year before, when I had the displeasure of being in your country.

how convenient are we supposed to believe you ?

How does it feel that I can shoot you and your Albanian family dead in the street and remain completely within the laws of my country, whereas you have to do conscription in the most joke military in the world with an unloaded weapon?

You'd see it on Google street view but the Swiss banned it, like they did everything else.

>How does it work in your country?

Oh well we have quite a few train lines but in my state we have Metro Trains which is privately owned, the tracks however are not.

We have a regional train service called V-Line which is also privately owned.

To summarize everything in one small paragraph:

Get a fucking car/license m8, trains are shit, the people on trains are shit, the seats are shit, you're likely to get mugged etc.

>refugees were welcomed
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_minaret_referendum,_2009

>The first mosque in London was the Fazl Mosque established in 1924, commonly called the London mosque. The growing number of Muslims resulted in the establishment of more than 1,500 mosques by 2007.

Question: How many of these can you own
Answer: 0

>bin that knife

>the commonwelath realms independents crowns were only created in the 80s to stop republican movments

Wrong! The crowns are separate legal existences since the 1931 Statue of Westminster.

I could only own the top one and maybe the middle.

Such is life :(

>How does it work in your country?

It doesn't.

We don't have railways except for transporting goods.

the fucking kikes forced the cucks of the governement to split our national railway company in two: one who owns the rails network and the other the trains

it's a real clusterfuck and provoke a shiton of problem

Some states have subway lines man.

>be Singapork
>nationalize railways
>keep on servicing old ass trains instead of buying new ones
>get record number of breakdowns this year

We could own the top one. Bolt action rifles are legal in any calibre.

It's a ball ache to get one but you can if you wait long enough.

You french are the most disorganized people on earth. How did you manage to accomplish so much

The middle one is illegal in bong-province-land, sorry M8

Ha that is like here.

>Be Australia
>Nationalize rail way tracks
>Tracks buckle every year under the hot sun and cause derailment.

Lol a Britfag making fun of a nation for its size. Now that's too kek

Wait maybe I'm dumb I only glanced at the picture. Ignore me

Hardly, but sure. And only for biggest cities.

we have the best trains. They aren't nationalized.

>No such thing here for passenger transport. Everything is state or federal owned

WRONG

gobrightline.com

Desperation breeds desperate bantz. Britbongs getting wrecked by Switzerland ITT

Shh. Don't let them know our merchant secrets. The britbongs don't deserve the knowledge

Wait so you can't own the top one?

America keeps getting offers from Japan to export Japanese bullet trains yet America keeps rejecting them all.

Privately owned will always work better because companies will fear penalties if they fuck up.

Unfortunate the government will cut corners to save money.

Argentina as a whole doesn't work tho

Trump might agree to it, it would create jobs after all.

the railway company, the electricity provider, and the mail delivery were all fine before europe shat on it
they hate functionaries and public services because it's not for shitholes who have no infrastructures

Britbongs think nationalization works because of their shitty god awful NHS.

>Private always works better
This isn't a meme, but don't share it with your former landlords, watching them die is almost as good as watching the french burn

Portugal is state owned rail, relatively modem and really cheap prices. Free Internet on travels.

UK is expensive, albeit getting much better with Virgin lines when compared to six years ago.

Germany is semi private and expensive but quality is top, the 50% discount card helps.

France is affordable and relative quality. Just complain about chaos on stations and excess of police everywhere.

Netherlands is great. Always some train around, brand new stations top of the art and affordable prices.

>the electricity provider, and the mail delivery were all fine
Gimme more deets on this, i think it'll be funny. How do you fuck up electricity and mail in a 1st world country.

The thing about that is your trains are subsidized so it is not exactly a good example of truly private railroad transport.

We have free healthcare as well but it isn't as bad because we don't have as many people clogging up the system.

One good thing the government here is doing in my state is constructing above ground railroad tracks. I mean people complain it will be an eye sore but it will help out with traffic congestion as it eliminates rail crossings.

I don't know, maybe. I don't know guns too well and it might have some weird thing about it that makes it illegal to own in the UK.

Is Japan's rail system nationalized or privatized? It's super efficient and well maintained.

Ya'll niggers have a mixed system.

It's just a pull action and would be classified as a bolt action here.

We can technically own AR15's here if they have that action as well.

We do have a freedom party, if only one day it gets in power then I can conceal carry a handgun :(

Nationalised

They were nationalized until 1999. Now it's a AG but fully state-owned.

All the swiss bro in this thread are retarded.

Wasn't it privatised in the 80s?

>free
This meme needs to die.
Fuck off albanian diaspora

>russia isn't dumber than other ex soviet countries even though we basically have a massive population of mountain niggers and steppe roaches
I don't get it.

>It's just a pull action and would be classified as a bolt action here.

Should be alright to own in the UK then. You just have to jump through a load of hoops to get one.

metro.co.uk/2016/09/06/new-train-which-could-go-from-london-to-manchester-in-18-minutes-could-come-to-uk-6113345/

Fuck you too. My family live in Wallis since 1400. I'm surely whiter than you german cross-border worker.

There's hoops to jump through here as well, we even need a genuine reason but if we can obtain a permit to hunt on crown land for $20 bucks and use that for a genuine reason.

It's not worth the hassle however.

It's simple really.
we kill the batman.

Jokes aside....
It's simple really. Non-essential items are better in the hands of privatization because free-market forces work well because CHOICE is in the equation.
Nationalization (Health-care. Railways. Army. Etc) work better, because choice is not part of the equation.

You don't *choose* the path you go to work....you are *forced* to take the efficient one.
Forcing people to pay private companies doesn't result in 'competitive market forces' because those equations involve consumer CHOICE.
No consumer choice...no competitive forces.

Siviriez - 700 years. Try me you Albanian nigger

>book two months in advance to get a "cheap" £50 one-way ticket for 3 hour journey
>board train
>there are no seats, you have to stand
>30 minute minimum delay
>get half way
>lol the train is cancelled, you have to use this bus that takes 5 hours instead
>reach station
>wait 50 minutes for connection
>train stops just outside station for 45 minutes
>finally arrive at destination
>get knifed by a tanned Englishman
>go to hospital
>queue for operating theatre is 5 hours
>nurse doesn't have to wash hands for religious reasons
>nurse can't read English and gives me through wrong blood type
>die
>arrested for racism

We tried in '71 and it completely fucking ruined passenger rail travel.

Amtrak does literally nothing right. It's slow, usually late, service is absolute shit, and doesn't serve major cities like Norfolk, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. On top of that, many of their stations in cities like Atlanta and St. Louis are vastly too small to accommodate large numbers of trains and people.

Hell, they can't even do the paintjob right. Every time I see an Amtrak train in that disgusting Phase V scheme, I want to take a blowtorch to it.

>gobrightline.com

Brightline gives me a modicum hope for the future.

They're doing right what California High Speed completely fucked up on and are actually building it in a timely manner using existing but very well built diesel locomotives instead of squandering billions on setting up the overhead lines that are costly to maintain.

Also, don't forget that Iowa Pacific Holdings took over running the Hoosier State from Amtrak a year ago (although Amtrak still does ticketing and provides personnel) and ridership has skyrocketed.

Now if only they could give the Brightline a proper Seaboard Air Line/Southern Railway paintjob and rebuild their locomotives to use the bulldog nose instead of that fucking eyesore modern bullet train look and it would be perfect.

No technically true. Passenger rail was already fucking ruined because private companies had been cutting it back since the 50s and were declaring bankruptcy left and right and trying to get rid of passenger rail service all together. So the government stepped in to set up a skeleton system that runs on private tracks, so they're stuck behind mile long trains moving at 15 miles per hour. It's all very sad.

youtube.com/watch?v=mbEfzuCLoAQ

with this as my source, yes. Russian Railways also does quite well and is state owned.

The US doesn't have a large-sized overhead wire network outside of the Northeast so Shinkansen exports would either need to be converted to diesel or we'd have to spend to billions on upgrading the power network to take pantographs.

Part of me is kinda glad we don't buy Shinkansen export because most of them are really fucking ugly to to be honest.

Frankly, I think we ought to just build our own trains and model and repaint them in fashion of the old Streamliners from the golden age of passenger travel.

That way, you could market these trains as the successors to the streamliners of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Sigh... What once was...