Just watched Moana

Now THAT'S how you write a strong female character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fc7Q8i33s9E
youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How's that, specifically?

Judy was a stronger female protag than Moana

>she has testicles
Way to undermine the whole thing

Well she's gotta else she can't feel the ocean.

Furries belong in trash.

> else she can't feel the ocean

youtube.com/watch?v=fc7Q8i33s9E

She was alright. I liked Judy better despite not liking Zootopia and finding Moana passibly enjoyable.

just gonna leave this here

Did they fuck?

JUST

probably off-screen

Now THAT'S how you shill for Disney.

She's 16.

Too old for Maui's preference.

Good work!

Thanks for helping to turn this board into Sup Forums!

Jesus christ user, do you talk like this irl? I liked the movie but making a big deal about it is cringe material.

should be turned into Sup Forums instead

ALL should become Sup Forums

>shilling accusations are only on Sup Forums
Do you visit ANY other boards?

now THIS is how you do a strong female protagonist

Can you be anymore out of place, shill?

Whatever guys, I just really loved the movie.

And I especially loved watching it in 3D to experience this Pacific island story the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

I lol'd

I thought she was sexy as fuck in that hat. Oh god what's wrong with me.

True. Moana is a fantastic role model. She wants to sail but she was willing to give up her personal desires for the good of her people.
As good a message for vapid modern girls as Tiana from princess and the frog.
Besides Jasmine, non white Princesses seem to be better written and better people than the whites.

>non white Princesses seem to be better written and better people than the whites.

don't give him the (you)'s

I'm neither user, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. The better written princesses are the newer ones. And there are more non-white ones starting at the Renaissance.

Weird way to phrase it though.

If I pretend that the stuff I don't like about this board comes from elsewhere, I can avoid introspection!

Film ends with GalMauhi kidnapping GuyMoana to be her travel companion/boy toy for the next lifetime.

Truth. Judy had actual flaws that made her feel real, but not so much that she was unlikeable.

Moana is kind of just great all-around. Which makes her a good role model for little girls, so I'm not complaining, but she's not exactly complex. The writers were so focused on making her a "strong female character" that they forgot to make her interesting.

Better people no, better written yes. But that's largely because many of the white princesses were from Disney's early years when they didn't give them much of a personality.

Disney is building a cast for a fighting game?

She's a brown Ana. She's a brown Judy. She's a brown Rapunzel. She's a brown Honey. She's just a brown version of the same awkward, spunky, quirky girl that's been in the last 5 Disney animated pictures.

The only difference is that she's brown. Stop eating this shit up, you simpletons.

youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

Do YOU talk like this in real life?

creativity is dead

Only in the mainstream, because creativity isn't guaranteed profit.

Judy isn't quirky, and Honey Lemon was hardly important enough to even mention. I'll give you Anna and Rapunzel though.

Elsa is one of the best princesses Disney has made in awhile. Too bad the movie she's in wasn't better.

>only in the mainstream

Yeah, we need more cynical deconstructions of genre ideas.

This isn't a pessimist competition, friends.

Ralph is nothing like Maui though. He's way more humble, and he's not quite as stocky.

being a realist =! pessimist

No way man, Judy was way different. She had a pretty distinct personality. She was basically Leslie Knope in rabbit form.

Not being pessimistic. It's always a great thing to see when creativity wins out and shows that success can be found outside of cookie cutter formulas.

It's just something that doesn't happen to often, sadly. Part of the reason being that chances just aren't being taken enough.

Judy was spunky and awkward. She fits.

>And this tattoo on my lower back tells the story about how I introduced casual sex to the people of the worlds

Judy wasn't awkward at all, what are you talking about? Spunky yes, but not quirky or awkward.

>Maui squats down in front of Moana
>"WHOA!" Moana looks down at her lower body, incredibly embarrassed
>"And THIS tattoo shows me leaping over the vast canyon of the underworld
>Moana looks sheepishly back
>camera turns to show tattoo Maui jumping back and forth over her bellybutton

more like manana

>comedic bits where Mini-femMaui tries flirting with Moana
>Does stuff to draw his attention to different scenes on awkward parts of femMaui's body
>Makes femMaui jiggle and look extra perky by "lifting up the sky"

>"Look, kid. You did me a solid back there. I just wanted to say thanks. It meant a lot to me."
>mini Maui is breaking the serious talk by walking around on Maui's boob
>starts jumping up and down to make her jiggle and making suggestive gestures as Moana keeps getting distracted
>"Kid, I'm being serious. My eyes are up here."
>double takes at her tattoo and flicks it away

The plot wasn't written very well.

Moana was pretty good, though.

I'm curious what people mean by this. As in how many twists and turns were there supposed to be?

The Hans twist in Frozen felt forced, and those stupid magic trolls felt super forced and really unnecessary.

Now we get a movie with one character revelation and one major twist and people are crying that there weren't enough, as if everything has to have a good guy who turned out to be the villain all along.

Well I'm not an expert on storytelling at all, but personally I thought the issue was that the plot didn't change or intensify much. Like for Frozen, first Anna wanted to retrieve her sister but then midway through the movie she gets her heart frozen and Elsa gets captured. So the same issue is there but the stakes are higher now. (As an aside, I thought the Hans twist was a clever way to subvert the played out "love at first sight" trope.)

For Moana, we know from the very beginning (from Gramma Tala's story) that Moana has to find Maui and take the heart to Te Fiti. And so she does that. There are some obstacles along the way, but nothing that affects what we already know will happen. We see Maui leave, but we all know he'll be back soon (although kids might not know). The twist with Te Kā is fine, but also doesn't change much about the plot since she just turns around and still puts back the heart. It's all just kind of flat and steady.

I don't want to sound too critical though. It was a good movie. And I bet that kids will be more engaged with Maui leaving and coming back. I just felt that it was kind of expected and mundane. Feel free to disagree too. This is just my opinion.

Events happened "by the power of plot" as opposed to any reasonable or logical sense for them happening. You ended up with a fairly standard Disney/movie plotline as a result, with things happening at apparent randomness if you think about it too much. For example,

>Moana and Maui get attacked by killer coconuts, just to drive the next scene where Moana earns a bit of Maui's respect and Moana takes over running the boat. Despite "everyone on the ocean" running around and going after the Heart, we never even see the two run into another one, even with Moana shouting and throwing the Heart around into the ocean.
>Maui leaves Moana on a barren, deserted island with no food or potable water, despite being a "friend to man". He is either somehow oblivious to a human's needs, despite spending his life providing for them, or he doesn't give a shit about her. He then turns around works with her because he's concerned about how she views him.
>The ocean helps Moana out when she is knocked overboard, when the Heart is knocked overboard, and in many other respects, but does absolutely nothing in some other critical cases. The biggest involves the ocean waking Moana up when she was drifting off-course for Maui's island, but then ignoring her when a storm immediately hits.
>Why didn't the ocean try to save her during her first attempt to cross the reef?
>Moana's escape from Shiny involved a rather cocky smile while standing over a steam vent. How did she know exactly when it was going to go off?
There are some others, although I'm fudging a bit on the details so I don't want to misrepresent or misremember something.

The movie was pretty good overall, and the beginning before she first tried to leave the island was really good. But the more I looked at the events in the movie, the more I found myself asking "Why?" and the answer was typically because that produced the next dramatic scene.

>I thought the Hans twist was a clever way to subvert the played out "love at first sight" trope.

I disagree, since there was no foreshadowing of it whatsoever (everything indicated the exact opposite, from his helpfulness to his refusal to kill the two sisters when he had so many other chances), it just felt like a complete asspull.

For Moana, the stakes got higher when Maui's hook got cracked and when Moana was ready to give up and the sea took back the heart.

soooooo...

the movie is shit?

See >The movie was pretty good overall

The ocean did help her though, it took her through the storm and straight to Maui. Also after the coconut pirates, they still had to get his hook, which was what led to the third act.

So 1st act is the island, revelations about Moana's ancestors and the problems that propel her to leave. 2nd act is being out on the ocean and finding Maui as well as escaping the coconut pirates. 3rd act is getting his hook from the shiny crab. 4th act is confronting the lava monster and failing, then finding the will to try again by being reminded of the strength of her people and eventually realizing the lava monster and the earth mother are the same.

I don't see how any of that was illogical.

Okay, a bit more depth than that:

It's fairly good if you don't think about it too much. Kids especially probably won't notice the bigger problems with the whole thing. Moana was really well done, as a great character and a great female protagonist. Moana's father was surprisingly good and their interaction well handled; it's easy to be completely on Moana's side while still understanding what her father was doing. Maui was good outside the occasional strange actions for plot. Shiny was silly, amusing, and freakishly horrific all at the same time. Really, the characters were well done overall.

Music was great. You'll find yourself replaying one of the songs in your head as you leave the theater. Especially nice is that a number of them are all great. This isn't Zootopia, where you remember "that end credits song" and nothing else.

Overall it's pretty good, as I stated in the last paragraph with my last post. It's just the details make it hard to get into the story past a general "Hey, that's neat. I wonder what's next?" sense.

>Rehashing the same exact personality to a tee is what makes a strong female character
I can't tell what's worse the fact they do this or the fact that it actually fools people.

Tiana and Mulan so far seem to be the best thing to a strong female character (both in the independent hard working woman and actual character with strong characterization meaning) and it's a real shame that people seem to dislike Tiana purely because the movie itself isn't anything great or they can't waifu a frog.

I'm not saying that the general outline is illogical. I'm saying that the individual events which happen in the movie don't make much sense. They serve only to drive the plot forward; it doesn't make much sense for them to appear and they are quickly discarded afterwards.

If the ocean is full of pirates all chasing down Maui and the Heart - to the point where we IMMEDIATELY run into one of them five minutes after sailing and after just MENTIONING the Heart - then why in the world would the next three days to one week involve not even the glimpse of another pirate band? Wasn't the whole concern with sailing being the chance of running into pirates after the Heart?

>they can't waifu a frog.

The other dangerous entitiescame in the form of elemental forces like storms. The coconut pirates were just the ones they happened to run into in the vast ocean. There weren't more of them because presumably that barge was their entire civilization.

Since they still needed to confront the crab, who will also show he's obsessed with possessing the heart, having even more monsters in between seems excessive and not really necessary.

>those stupid magic trolls felt super forced and really unnecessary

I still don't get the purpose of them. I know they were intended to entertain the really little kids, but do they really enjoy stuff like that?

has Sup Forums lost to /t/umblr?
are we now one?
Sup Forumsumblr?

Please don't grow up to be a writer.

Don't get triggered, user, we're just talking about Disney movies.

I can't tell whether you're a newfag or just pretending to be stupid.

>I can't tell what's worse the fact they do this or the fact that it actually fools people.

I think worse than either of those is the obsession with having a "strong female character."

Would that be pronounced "Coom-Bler"?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Coom-Bler and friends when?

i forgot these things existed.

it was just a bad movie with one of two good songs (little) girls love to hear, and that made over a billion dollars.

People just take it too literally. When they expect a "strong" female character they expect her to be literally "strong" or "cool" and "Don't need no man".

In reality I always took the phrase as "strong female character" as just "A strong character that is female". As in a well rounded character with clear and well written goals and motives, a developing character arc, etc.

Pixar got into the habit of using a bunch of cute sidekick characters with the movie WALL-E, and that bunch of random robots towards the end. Disney seemed to have picked up on doing the same with some of there recent movies. You can blame Olaf and Sven, and the trolls, likely on that recurring theme.

A lot of these concerns stand out to me precisely because there could've been some minor changes which would've alleviated the problem, but instead it just felt tossed in to serve the next plot point.

A few examples:

Maui abandoning Moana on a tiny barren island? The island easily could've been stuffed with coconut and banana trees (the gifts of Maui that he ended up singing about) and it would've made much more sense to leave her there.

At least some sort of token remark to avoiding pirates, or skirting around dangerous waters, would've made the claims that the oceans were dangerous more meaningful. As for storms, the only one I remember was the one that cast Moana onto Maui's island.

Crablegs was well done, although it doesn't explain Moana leaving with some cocky remark without having memorized the geyser pattern, or perhaps just being hoping that it would go off at the right time.

Overall though, the reason I respond is that I really enjoyed Frozen when it came out, but it took years before I even heard one valid complaint about that movie past silliness like "not enough black characters" and "needs more lesbian incest". I mean, even asking people to point out the movie's flaws resulted in nothing concrete for nearly two years. And as someone who liked the movie Frozen, I really did want to know what the faults of the movie were that I'd missed.

I felt it was probably best to highlight the obvious problems that Moana had. It doesn't make the movie a bad one, and in fact there are several things the movie does really well. But not everything is excellent.

>The island easily could've been stuffed with coconut and banana trees
Then Maui would have been able to build a boat and leave.

>it took years before I even heard one valid complaint about that movie
Years? I don't think you were looking very hard.

>Pixar got into the habit of using a bunch of cute sidekick characters

oh please, sidekicks are bread and butter of disney movies,

>mfw I found out Moana's VA is white.

>be the chosen one
>fail
>no longer have faith in self
>ghost of dead relative shows up to tell you to have faith in yourself
>try again
Her strength is undermined by the third act's predictability.

Cum-bler

I was gonna comment if Snow White had any side-kick characters but then it occurred to me it had 7.

Plus the forest animals.

calling handicapped people "sidekicks".

how could you.

Its a fairytale. Things just happens so people can learn lessons.

>Actors have the ability to portray many types of people convincingly
>This revelation is both surprising and infuriating to me for some reason!

Grow the fuck up.

Auli'i's still Polynesian regardless. Ignore Stan Lee. He's a troll.

>Auli'i Cravalho
>white
I'm sure there's some colonization further back but she's not white. Only white person in the cast is Tudyk

They are given actual motivations and goals to achieve.

The white princesses typically just sing with birds and want to go get married as soon as possible.

Sort of the same old rich girl marry a rich guy and be a pampered princess mentality. Not exactly surprising.

Meanwhile the minorities need to go get to work and earn their own way in life. They actually want more than just marry rich guy and be a princess.

Pretty damn inspiring actually.

Is that really surprising? There are more non white people in the world than white.

It makes sense that the films for a world audience reflect that.

...and yet Americans still want to call them "minorities"

>Is that really surprising?
I explained why it wasn't surprising in my comment.

They were an attempt to inject at least some minorities into an otherwise white as fuck movie.

Even their little spot was green and devoid of all the damn snow.

......I can

Still better than the only black people to appear are stupid little trolls...

..seriously?

do we really HAVE to make this an issue in every fucking disney movie?

Only when Disney makes it an issue

How fucking hard is it to have at least a single minority HUMAN in a movie anyway? Why do they have to be weird little monsters if it is not pushing some stereotypical agenda yet again.

>Film portrays the only non-white characters as sub human creatures that kidnap and eat children
>Why do we have to make this into an issue?!

>monstrous creature in a movie isn't white
>"Clearly, this must be the black representation that I've been looking for in this film."
So do you need to practice at being retarded, or does it come naturally to you?

>If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess

Judy confirmed for princess! Thank you disney!