Batman #12 will reveal that Bruce used to self-harm as a kid

>For the first time in DC Comics history, Batman has been described as a self-harming adolescent. In Tom King’s Batman #12, the caped crusader pummels his way through hundreds of soldiers, struggling to make his way to Catwoman and her new ally, Bane. The text juxtaposed with the action is a confessional letter Bruce Wayne wrote to Selina Kyle, presumably before the events of the comic, and in it, Wayne describes a ritual he enacted in order to become Batman.

>“I was ten,” Batman says in the comic. “I got one of my father’s razor blades, and I got down on my knees. I put the metal against my wrist. The edge scratching cold. The blood on my hand.”

>“I don’t think it’s been written this way before,” Tom King tells Inverse, “but I spoke with Scott Snyder, and we agreed that it made sense. A lot of writers feel that way, that when Bruce Wayne made his vow and became Batman, he had to kill Bruce Wayne off.” According to Batman in the comic, he sliced his wrists and prayed to have the pain of his parents’ death taken from him.

And guys say that Jason Todd is edgy because he wear leather jacket. HE HAS NOTHING ON BRUCE WAYNE.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q4TvP7WKKOE?t=56
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So does this come out this Wednesday or the next?

Isn't going thru the process of turning himself into Batman enough self-harm for anyone?

You know I get the intent behind this, the idea to show all the various ways how PTSD affected Bruce on his journey of becoming Batman, but I'm not digging this.

To me, Batman should basically be a tool for Bruce Wayne to work through his trauma. Instead this seems to be acquiescing to the trauma and going "Yeah, guess I'm a crazy fuck now."

>Batman is a cutter
I'm out.

>Bruce was an emo kid
Makes sense. You think he listened to Fallout Boy too?

Why is Batman such a shit character?

Fallout Boy is upbeat as fuck

retconned in less than 3 years

MCR?

better example of emo music, yes

>I think Tom King is a good writer.

seriously what the fuck

Isn't this from Gotham?

Naw, he just knows that he has to put 0 effort into the work because Batman will sell no matter what.

Batman will kill this meme.

In other news, Joker has Borderline.

Suicide Kid vs Sociopath Joe, who wins?

The whole 'action juxtaposed with expositional letter' thing is such an unsatisfying structure, why is he doing it again.

>Bruce is a cutter
>Selina is a mass murderer
>Bronze Tiger is a drug addict
>Alfred is there just to deliver sarcastic remarks
>Gotham Girl is the center piece of the entire run

people will defend this

>...I feel like I have to write a comic that…that eight-year-old me wanted to read, the comic that twelve-year-old me was gonna read…the kinds of readers who are picking up Batman for the first time, where my Batman is the first time they see the character.

putting a nightwing fan in charge was a mistake

>>Bronze Tiger is a drug addict
Wait, which drugs did he do again?

Venom

He's Dick fanboy? Well, that's explain a lot of things.

Scott Snyder is the worst Snyder.

>Scott Snyder is the worst Snyder.
This.

>I spoke with Scott Snyder, and we agreed that it made sense.
Snyder

Why are you blaming Snyder for this?

>Batman.
>not being a crazy fuck.

>now
He did it when he was ten, though.

>Gotham Girl is the center piece of the entire run
Yeah, that's why we hardly see or hear from her.

>implying these are bad ideas.

every Batman's action revolves around her

>I-it's Snyder fault! Every stupid thing King do is because of Snyder! Ok?

Being suicidal as a kid after seeing the violent murder of both your parents isn't edgy. What are you, a child?

So they're putting "I am Suicide" at the top of a story about attempting suicide?

it's two year after the murder of the Waynes

In this arc, yes because he's trying to save her but you can't say she's been the central piece for the entire run.

Yeah but Bruce is clearly autistic

The hand-wringing over this is because cutting is seen as an effeminate type of self harm done by girls and emos. Nobody would care if it was any other method.

A eight year old just saw his parents killed before his eyes and you think two years is enough time to heal.

it was enough for Dick

Bruce BTFO

Who had Bruce there to be his father figure. Alfred is a server and didn't fill that role.

>A single book is enough to prove tat a writer tat has written great books is bad
>This is what Sup Forums actually believes

Holy shit Tom's run is a trainwreck. This is approaching Robinson on JLA levels.

These are just kids complaining that King isn't just Synder lite and are mad because it's not as 'good' as every other Rebirth title apparently. I've honestly been enjoying Batman and Batman related books for the first time in nearly 6 years.

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

I'm mad because it's a shit run and I want him to write something he's good at. I liked every comic from King so far except Batman.

The whole story behind Bruce taking Dick in, and Dick growing up into a comparatively well-adjusted young man, is that Bruce didn't want Dick to suffer the way he did and worked to make sure he had healthier outlets to express his grief.

This makes Bruce all the more impressive, and makes how he raised Dick all the more justified.

But King is smart enough to realize that he doesn't have to put any effort into writing Batman, it sells no matter how bad it is. King works best on less popular stuff. Fuck, look at Vision.

A mediocre and already forgotten book

>it's a shit run.
That's your opinion and your opinion isn't fact.

Just like his others, aside from Batman, because no one cared about those books filled with literally whoes.

Oh fuck off. He isn't suicidal. Cutters just say that as a desperate plea for attention. If they really wanted to die they'd cut along the vein, not across.

Alfred was better father figure to Bruce than Bruce was Dick, user.

Also, Jason has been through worse at such young age and wasn't a cutter.

Not according to Alfred himself, but whatever you are a memer anyway

Please come back to Marvel Based King

Alfred blame himself for letting Bruce became Batman, but there is nothing he could have done to stop him.

Please take him, I have no hope for him anymore.

There was a good scene in Dark Victory from Loeb of all people that juxtaposed Alfred's reaction to Dick's grief with Alfred's reaction to Bruce's grief. With Bruce, he was more aloof and standoffish.

He could have just let Bruce keep cutting himself

Bruce had an Alfred who had no idea what to do with this tragic, broken little orphan.
Dick had Alfred and Bruce and is better for it.

This has been the narrative since the Bronze age. You literally don't read comics.

Didn't Bruce help Dick get closure pretty soon after the Graysons died? Not to mention giving him the Robin outlet.

and what about this?

>Also, Jason has been through worse at such young age and wasn't a cutter
This, and had no one else there for a long time until Bruce took him.

Tomasi plays on sentiment. Bruce just died and this is his last message to Alfred. It's supposed to tug on your heartstrings. It doesn't negate decades of comics saying otherwise.

Bruce spent most of his youth traveling around the world alone

and Jason was a street criminal which is worse than being a cutter

Bruce's and Jason's childhood aren't at ALL comparable...

Well, Jason has always been more of a well-adjusted person than fans give him credit to be honest.

Yes, because Jason went through worse stuff.

except that's exactly how it works, unless it's been retconned away then that page proves Bruce views Alfred as a father.

>Jason was a street criminal
He was a poor kid who lived in the streets and stole things to survive.

Damian has been through worse

Yes, a criminal

He was a spoiled brat, it wasn't until Gleason and Tomasi that he had a "omg what a bad childhood"

no one cares

They've all died at one point or another user.

This doesn't seem bad

>jasonfags coming out of the woods to shit up another thread

and jasons mom is big cunt.

>He was a spoiled brat, it wasn't until Gleason and Tomasi that he had a "omg what a bad childhood"
Nope.

In the mid-00s they also implied he had to be gay for pay.

Nice reading comprehension

>had a useless parents who one of them was alcoholic and the other was a drugs addicted
>his father used to beat him and his mother up
>his father was also a petty criminal who died in jail later
>Jason had to become the man of the house and protect her mother from her drug dealers
>his mother died later due to overdose
>he spent the rest of his childhood in in the streets
>had to steal to survive
>got taken by a rich playboy who became his doom
>got tortured and then blown up by the Joker
>was resurrected agnist his will
>saw how his memory was disrespected by everyone
>no one was happy that he is alive or even tried to help him
>pretty much has to himself up in his own to get over his death

Tell me again how Damian has it worse.

he was a criminal in gotham, he would have died anyway

>muh darkness
>muh suffering
>muh edge
How do we go from Morrison/Dini who made Batman fun to read to Snyder who makes villains edgy and King who makes Bruce and family edgy? Is there no fucking hope?

>Snyder who makes villains edgy

This is my favorite meme

Flashpoint proved that he would have been better off if he never met Bruce.

>Flashpoint

Irrelevant, totally different universe.
In the main one instead he almost got killed while faking being a member of the red hood gang and needed Talia to save him.

That's just such a mundane outlet for his pain.

Part of the fantasy and horror of Batman is that at his core, at the very beginning of his story, there was a sad, little boy that swore to beat every criminal he came across to within an inch of their lives once he got strong enough to do so.

He didn't just get sad, he went fucking crazy.

Even the Brave and the Bold couldn't do the whole personal oath thing without making it look deranged because it is an inherently demented ambition to have in life:

youtu.be/q4TvP7WKKOE?t=56

And besides, didn't they all ready do this in the Gotham tv-show?

Either explain your counterpoint or don't bother posting at all. Just calling posts you don't like memes does nothing for the discussion.

because dick became a pampered little shit immediately after it happened.

there's nothing to explain, Snyder didn't make anything more edgy than what it already was

>Flashpoint
>irrelevant
Flashpoint is the reason behind the current n52 universe.

And the main point is that Jason would have better off if he never meet Bruce.

>needed Talia to save him
It's actually the other way around. You would have know if you read it.

Flashpoint is irrelevant because that universe is too different from the main one

And yes, you were right about him saving Talia.
I forgot the stupidity of him being able to use magic without even trying in RHATO.

>I am Suicide
What is this

Jason situation in Flashpoint wasn't different from his situation in the main universe. He lived in the streets and his parents were died.

Also, Flashpoint was pretty much "WHAT IF" universe. "What if Bruce was the one who died at that night?" "What if Jason never meet Bruce?".....etc.

>Mr. Freeze never had a wife and killed his mom
>Joker is Michael Myers
>Riddler blasts a guy's arm off
>Dr. Death is a generic Snyder villain (spindly fanged thing with spindly elongated arms and claws)
>Catwoman is an evil mob boss
>Two-Face is Two Bad Choices