Saturday Steve Rude Storytime Part Three

Been getting some good feedback for these so I present to you the two-part Nexus: God-Con. Enjoy! Hope you're having a great weekend, Sup Forumsmrades.

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/gd1flw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pg 1

Pg 4

Pg 5

Couple What It Is lettercols, if anyone's interested

Part Two

Sorry for the delay was making myself a fat-arsed Dagwood

Love this fucking page

What It Is lettercol page 1

I don't understand what I'm reading, but I enjoyed

Coptic Christianity?

i-is that the badger

What It Is lettercol page 2

Well, that was Nexus: God Con by Mike Baron and Steve Rude. Gonna do Gibbons and Rude's World's Finest next but it might take a day or two to scan. After that, any Steve Rude requests? Planning on doing all the Dark Horse mini-series (Wages of Sin, Executioners Song, Alien Justice etc) but could also start from the very beginning if anyone wants the scoop from the beginning. Hope you guys enjoyed it!
>Coptic Christianity?
Yeah, I kind of assumed that was what Baron was getting at.

>i-is that the badger
It most certainly is, user! He and Nexus had a great six-part crossover in the early days when Nexus was published by First. And he showed up again in issue 50 when they returned to the Bowl-Shaped World where the first crossover took place. I'll storytime the original 6-part Nexus/Badger crossover for you sometime if you like, mate.

Maybe it was a bad choice to do God Con for "uninformed" readers--the rest of the dark Horse minis start with an intro page of expositional backstory--explaining Nexus' origin, his establishment of the refugee planet Ylum and his appointment as "humanity's super=powered conscience" by a semi-omniscient alien. He has dreams (in the tank he puts Sundra in in this comic, although he had them in bed in the early issues) of the galaxy's worse mass-murderers and is sent to kill them. Non-compliance causes him extreme pain at the behest of The Merk, the alien who gave him his sun-derived powers (not like Supes--he literally sucks energy from nearby stars, he nearly "killed" one in the process of killing one of his targets (The Ziggurat issue). Hope that's clued you in a bit, mate! Any more questions feel free to ask!

Nexus' Dad was his first victim he was a Sov general on Planet Vradic who caused the death of millions when he self-destructed the whole world and escaped into space with his wife and newborn son (Horatio Hellpop, the first and forever Nexus (there have been...6 Nexuses, all together? But they all fucked up in some way and poor Horatio always gets the job back...)really it's such a well-written, well-constructed world with believable characters, wonderful breadth of ideas and a deep, sincere empathy and compassion lacking in most comics)...they floated through space for ages and finally came across a seemingly-uninhabited planet, Horatio grew up with two "imaginary" friends (who bore an uncanny resemblance to The Merk) who told him of his father's crimes...many was the night little Horatio would catch his dad with his head in his hands, holding a gun or putting it to his head after his beloved wife got lost and starved to death in the myriad, huge tunnels below Ylum (pronounced "Eye-lum"!) but the implication was that the guilt for his actions on Vradic weighed very heavily on General Hellpop's shoulders...eventually, in his early teens, Horatio's "imaginary friends" (shit, I've forgotten their names!) basically convinced him to kill his father...he was at his desk, toying with a gun again with his back to his son when he was executed...his powers spotaeneously materialised then, it wasn't 'til later we learned of their source, and the bargain Horatio struck with The Merk...Sundra was sent as a spy from the Galactic Web (a "one galaxy government, if you will) but ended up falling for Horatio...so much more backstory but this is fast becoming an essay, I hope this answers a few more questions, Bismuth!

, sorry, meant for you, Bismuth V

Bump, thanks for the storytime OP.

I have yet to see anyone do Spyke, For me, Reinhold is an equal to Rude.

No problem mate, in the words of the great Dan Dashly: "I'm just putting other people's work on the internet"! Shit plays havoc with "muh spines" (I DON'T WANT A MEDAL!!!) but I'm trying to turn on as many Sup Forumsmrades as possible to the genius that is Steve Rude and Nexus.
And guys, I'm totally not trying to downplay or denigrate Mike Baron's phenomenal contribution to Nexus--someone in the Nexus/Madman storytime I did called him THE greatest comic writer ever (that man had TASTE) and I'd say that's pretty near the fuckin' mark. I admit I haven't read a great deal of his non-Nexus stuff but even at his least-best he's head and shoulders above all the writers Sup Forums usually spazzes about, Moore and Morrison in particular ('tho I am a fan of both, Morrison less so, though)...for dialogue, characterisation and world-building alone he's head and shoulders above 95% of the cheesemongers who pass as comic book writers these days (not including cartoonists in this--I mean those who both write and draw their own material--although he towers above most of the alternative/UG/"literary"/artcomics crowd, too, with a meagre few exceptions). The Badger was fucking great, too--brought out the comedy in his work (which is present in Nexus) but I never followed it as much because of the artists, who were competent, some even good...but none of 'em were The Dude. Sorry for the essay, thanks for reading. 'Nuff said.
Who, The Punisher guy? Bill Reinhold? Sorry man, I respectfully disagree. His foundational drawing, whilst good, can't hold a candle to Rude's and he over-renders too much, so many meaningless, needless marks. He has his good points but also lacks the sheer dynamism of Rude's fight scenes and makes too many bizarre layout choices (something which Rude is OCCASIONALLY guilty of, much less so nowadays, though. And his command of anatomy and painting far outweighs Reinhold's.Look at the phenomenal figure drawing in Steve Rude's art instruction book.

Ran out of space--just wanted to reiterate that no disrespect is meant by my comment, I just respectfully disagree, and provided reasons why. Not slagging off your taste in any way, user.

Is it scanned?

To be honest I've never heard of it--like I said I mainly know Reinhold's work in passing through The Punisher--but I've seen enough to make at least a semi-coherent argument as to why he is no equal to Rude. Only person I could think of off the top--sorry, people--equal to Rude would be Jaime Hernandez and Mazzucchelli, but they're kind of apples 'n oranges. But in all the ways that matter, they are definitely equals imho.

Bump

Anyone know when the Rude-drawn Kamandi book is out? What is it, issue four or six, or something?

Yo I'd hafta scan it first but anyone fancy the Wein/Rude Before Watchmen Dollar Bill one-shot? If you're already a fan it's a triple treat, of course Rude pencils the comic but he inks himself AND fucking letters the book, too! A real treat, I'd love to see more of that in the future, I don't even think he letter the first three b & w mag-sized Capitol Nexus comics, though I'd have to check....and he's a (perhaps surprisingly?) great letterer, has a very individual style, hand-done, too, none of this "turning my hand-written alphabet into a digital font" business, which i see fool a lot of my comic reading friends, a couple of whom are older than I and have been reading or collecting since the late seventies/early eighties! My point is, they know their shit.

>Anyone know when the Rude-drawn Kamandi book is out?
August if they can stick to a monthly shcedule.
>Yo I'd hafta scan it first
sendspace.com/file/gd1flw

>www.sendspace.com/file/gd1flw
Isn't that a contravention of Sup Forums storytiming etiquette?!

A link IN a storytime is traditionally saved for last, but most are preceded by a link beforehand.

Oh, no mate, I meant me downloading that link and not "doing the legwork", so to speak, of scanning my own copy!

It's in here:

Goddammit I tried to wipe the hair off my screen.

Sorry man I can only offer my profuse apologies. bad form, it won't happen again!

So is everyone okay with the Gibbons/Rude World's Finest for Part Four of The Dude/Nexus Storyime? Think I'm gonna alternate between Nexus then non-Nexus stuff 'til I run out of material or get tired out, whichever happens first.....I asked this before but is anyone interested in the Space Ghost one-shot? Also, Dude's Mister Miracle one-off special is absolutely fucking amazing.

You should put links to your previous storytimes in the OP.

Thanks, OP.

bumping for others.

>is anyone interested in the Space Ghost one-shot?

I enjoyed it.

If decent scans already exist, then why go through the trouble?

Thanks.