Unpopular opinion, but I kinda wish comics moved in real time, like the Marvels series

Unpopular opinion, but I kinda wish comics moved in real time, like the Marvels series.

Big name series and titles could be continued with legacy characters. The Batman my dad grew up with isn't my Batman. Kinda like what almost happened with the Flashes.

Old characters could come back to mentor the next generation.

I know most series only have 12 issues a year, but it wouldn't be hard to believe that a hero only has 1 or 2 major events take place a year. We don't see Batman's every take down of the Riddler.

The one and only thing I like about the MCU over the comics is its real-time timeline.

I think that would be kinda cool and it would give comics a better sense of progression.

But we're in the minority.

I agree.

Comics retreading the same ground for 2/3 of a century is awful.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Look at Astro City.

That's what i loved about DC's original Earth-2 universe.

This is what cape comics were like before the formal institution of non-moving timelines in the 1980s. If you read comics prior to then you got to experience them in real time.

>I know most series only have 12 issues a year, but it wouldn't be hard to believe that a hero only has 1 or 2 major events take place a year. We don't see Batman's every take down of the Riddler.

I think this would give more weight to the villains.

We would really only see their big schemes that actually give the heroes a struggle, rather than every time the Joker poisons the water.

Protip: Stop reading only superhero comics.

As an example of a series that DOES age in real time, try Love & Rockets.

I thinj the reason most comics couldn't do this is that besides the big names you don't have a comic run without breaks.
So Ghost Rider would have a bunch of run where he grows older but if 7 - 12 years passes with him not getting a run if you want to tell a story of him you either have a bunch of character development of screen or a guy who didn't do shit for 10 years.
Also comic plots may need to develop several issue to solve so you need to accelerate the plot over the next year.
Example: First issue sets up the plot, 2nd is him teaming up or fighting an underling, meeting a romantic option too. 3 is a origin for a enemy or side character. 4-6 are him solving the issue. But this all happend within 2 weeks or so but in real-life 5 months passed. Sometimes you can just skip those months but if there are urgent things (new romance, dealing with grief, new job) having a timeskip might be jarring
So you either go back to Shooter of storylines or you got good enough writer to pull it off.
Furthermore a real time frame can lead to conflict, romance and such needing to develop and resolve quite fast.

You would also need to stop decompression.

Right now when a new title launches at Marvel or DC they spend maybe 4-6 issues just setting the character or team up, which is ridiculous. Half a year to get done what in the old days would have taken one issue, or maybe even just part of one. If you're moving in real time you have cut out all the pages of reaction faces and stupid chatter that the Big two love.

Marvel DOES need a Jim Shooter, though. At least someone who has the balls to prevent another Mockingbird incident, or curtail Bendis whenever he tries to force an OC down peoples throats rather than use an established character.

>But we're in the minority
as it should be

That woman has an ass like a Brazilian dominatrix. Is this a fetish comic?

Shooter was one of the prime instigators of "Marvel Time", tho. So it might not be a good thing for the topic of this thread

I like the implications that has for non-aging characters like Wolverine and Wondy

She has an ass like a middle-aged Latina who ate too much fast food. It's called realism.

>Is this a fetish comic?
It's not a fetish comic but the authors definitely do have fetishes.

This. When you read something like L&R (or even fucking Funky Winkerbean) you realize how much having lives and pasts makes characters interesting and makes you invested in their lives.

As a Euro, I didn't grow up with superhero comics. I tried to get into them later on, but I find it really hard to care about characters who are just being constantly rebooted and retconned and going over the same ground again and again.

I think the closest I got to being invested in superhero stuff was the Batman & Batman Beyond cartoon universe for that reason.

Speaking of the Flashes, bringing Barry back has been a fucking horrible decision. He's primarily a Silver Age character, so has fuck all in the way of personality or development. He'd been far surpassed by Wally and the extended Flash Family for years, and no writer since his revival has done anything to make him unique or interesting.

How do we fix the Flash?

>She has an ass like a middle-aged Latina who ate too much fast food.

That's literally what I said.

You should read John Byrne's "Generations" series'.

But user, the point of Generations was that superhero legacies and children are awful and their predecessors are always better

Are dominatrices all middle-aged in Brazil?

I got into a (polite) argument with Paul Jenkins about this at a con. He ended up signing one of my trades "Dear user, Fuck off!"

Good Lord. I hope so.

And that is true.