How hard is Ranger school?

I figured there may be some military bros here who may have been or have a general idea.

I'm in a weird position because I actually went to Marine OCS a few years back but didn't graduate due to an injury. However, I experienced 8 out of the 10 weeks so the only thing I really missed was the 12 mile hike and e-course.

I'm considering applying for Army OCS and eventually maybe RASP II should I make it that far.

I highly doubt anybody has been to both schools, but yeah.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8HsQ2qC-K2c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You really want to help Obama destablize the planet so all refugees move here next door to your mom?

>I'm considering applying for Army OCS
i've already done that and done ranger. don't do it. the army is becoming a complete faggotland i am not kidding. ranger school isn't what it used to be. it isn't the mark of pride it once was

That aside, how hard were the schools?

First understand that "Ranger School" is a really grueling leadership course that spends weeks seeing how competent you are under stressful conditions with little food and sleep, and if you have the capability to push on despite the injuries, and whatever else happens during the course.

Being a Ranger means you go to the 75th Ranger regiment. It's a very demanding and elite unit that demands you to give all in training and once you make it in. You'll eventually be told to go to Ranger School as part of your development.

My best friend broke his back in ranger school. He's a badass anyway...so I imagine it's fairly taxing.

He owns a horse transport company now. He drives other people's horses all over the country.

Damn.. just got my math and physics degrees and wanted to do something military

If you need to ask, you probably won't make it. Also, Ranger school doesn't get you into the regiment. Also, the 75th is highly unlikely to take an officer without combat or any military experience. Pretty much all of their officers were prior enlisted in airborne infantry units.

Ask /k/ next time. This thread just deserves to be laughed at

I'm finishing my BS in Biochem then enlisting too OP. But I'm going enlisted.

Watch this informative video for more information on Ranger School.

youtube.com/watch?v=8HsQ2qC-K2c

OCS was not difficult physically or mentally. The most physically difficult thing we did was a 10-mile ruck after a field problem. We had like 2 saws and a 240 in the squad and passed them around. The biggest fear is getting a "Class II" which was basically a counseling statement for fucking up. 2 of those and you're out.

ranger school is hard, yeah, and i went through before they let women in and when we could still dip. it really sucks, you get cellulitis on your knee because "take a knee. knees are free" god damn it. if you can suck up physical pain and operate on below-minimal sleep you'll be ok. just don't fuck over your squad and you won't get peered-out

this guy is right. ranger school does not get you into the regiment. and they're very picky with their officers

Getting fucking STEM degrees then going into the infantry is like being an SJW lib arts major who got a meme degree just to pretend they were intelligent. What the fuck are you thinking? Why don't you go into an MOS that actually lets you use your degree? Why the fuck are you volunteering to hang out with the dumbest people in the army and get blown up?

tl;dr

why did your society waste resources and that position in your class on your education just to throw it away?

Absolute waste of a STEM degree. Go OCS. Don't be a dumbfuck.

dont worry OP, they made easier versions of ranger school for girls like you

>But I'm going enlisted.
have fun doing police calls and area beautification.
have fun living in the barracks with faggot micromanaging leaders who come to check in on you multiple times every night and do room inspections.
have fun not being allowed to even have posters that your faggot leadership doesn't like.

have fun doing stupid as fuck mandatory training on sexual assault, tranny acceptance and pronoun usage (yes i'm serious), diversity training, and other stupid shit
have fun having your leadership call you over the weekend to check up on you and getting your ass chewed when you don't answer

you're a stupid fucking bitch if you think you do anything cool in the military. the army makes shooting ranges, explosives ranges, everything stupid and gay as fuck.

you're making a mistake

Enlisted 68w, from there I could always drop an SFAS packet or go Opt 40 then straight through SOCM(As I had planned).

18D's are probably the most advanced Pre-hospital care professionals in the world. Ranger medics aren't really far behind them, I'm sure.

But, you have valid points. I can always look into OCS. Is ROTC really a good idea?

How is it throwing it away? Pretty much anyone can get into college these says. It's not reserved for elites. I just chose the hardest things I could to study because I like challenging things.

Former 2/75 here. If you want to be a Ranger your best bet is to enlist with an option 40 contract. If you want to be an officer the path should go something like this OCS->IBOLC->Airborne-> Ranger school-> PL time (big army)-> Apply for RASP 2-> complete RASP 2 -> PL in Ranger bat.

If being a Ranger is more important, just enlist. If being an officer is more important to you, go that route but understand how much harder it will be to become a Ranger. There are 3 PLs, an XO and a CO in each company, with 4 line companies that makes only 20 infantry officers in the whole battalion (plus a few in HHC and staff). That means there are a lot less openings and you'll have the be the tip top of your class. There was a RASP 2 class going through the same time I was and they selected 4 out of around 80 that started.

Is also a good point.

Choosing some hard shit like STEM is natural for people that like challenges. And people that like challenges are also drawn towards the military(Particularly SOF). So having an overlap of STEM majors and SOF isn't exactly strange.

I've heard of plenty of Group guys that have their bachelors or even their masters.

don't go army you dumbfuck

or do. whatever. i'll see you here in 4 years after you get out

Hey senpai I actually want to get into 2/75. I live in Cali so being based out of WA would be nice.

Shit I'd be fucking lucky to even pass RASP, but is there any way to possibly choose which Batt you get into?

I'm a first year, so I would be enlisting until probably 2020. The current climate seems like shit for people enlisting right now, but we will see how it is in 4 years.

The only advice I can give you and anyone else who wants to join is to find someone who did the job that you want to sign up for. Talk to them about what it was like on a day to day basis. Unless the recruiter has been there and done that don't listen to a word he says.

>is there any way to possibly choose which Batt you get into?

For my class they assigned battalions based on alphabetical order of last name. No changes, no exceptions. The class before mine the cadre said "We have 10 first batt scrolls (the shoulder patches) and 10 second batt scrolls on this table. Whoever doesn't get one of these is going to third batt." And a huge fight broke out because nobody wanted to stay in benning.

thanks, appreciated

>tfw A
Savannah can't be that bad, r-right?

While you're here man, did you know other Rangers that lurked Sup Forums? Is weeb shit prevalent in Regiment like it is in Big Army?

hey ranger. i'm in an SFG and I was wondering if the batts had different personalities/stereotypes like groups do.

>Unless the recruiter has been there and done that don't listen to a word he says.
Not always the best case. My recruiter for the Navy was a nuke and wanted me to go Nuke as well. After I told him no and got something else, a few days later we were talking and he told me he wished he had taken the rate I chose instead.
Recruiters are just regular guys, and they'll be really good to you once you sign and are in DEP, but remember, they're there to get you into the military, so they will talk up the jobs they think you and the branch you're joining could do well with.

OP, if you'd like some more advice, /k/ regularly has a military enlistment general.

Hey does Option 40 guarantee a spot in 75 if you can pass ranger school?

>did you know other Rangers that lurked Sup Forums?
Not really, I know there are several on /k/ but I didn't really talk about Sup Forums to other people.

>Is weeb shit prevalent in Regiment like it is in Big Army?
Definitely not. I remember one guy read some naruto books on deployment and he got made fun of for years. Lots of batt boys were high school football/wrestling captains or class presidents and never stopped having the top dog mentality. So if you openly do weeb shit you're going to get bullied.

>hey ranger. i'm in an SFG and I was wondering if the batts had different personalities/stereotypes like groups do.
Yes, now this was my perspective from 2/75 but it went something like this:

1st batt: Fun in the sun/surfs up Rangers. savannah is a college town, has no open container laws, and beautiful beaches. Everyone enjoys life there.

2nd batt: West coast Rangers, can let the hair down a little more because we were so far from regimental HQ. Everything is a little more laid back ("less hazing") but life sucks because you'll go months without seeing the sun and it gets depressing.

3rd batt: Hard as fuck battalion. Most hazing, most training deaths. Columbus GA is a shithole town, not much fun to do around there. They get rewarded with the best missions though like Mogadishu, OBJ Rhino (combat jump into afghanistan), haditha dam in iraq, and at least one combat jump in iraq if I remember right. They also have Regimental HQ (literally next door) breathing down their necks.

>Recruiters are just regular guys, and they'll be really good to you once you sign and are in DEP, but remember, they're there to get you into the military, so they will talk up the jobs they think you and the branch you're joining could do well with.
My experience was with cav scout recruiters who had no idea what being a Ranger was. It took a long time to get them to understand that the cav and Rangers weren't "basically the same thing" and that there was this thing called an option 40 contract.

Also I met multiple people in basic/airborne/RASP whose recruiters told them that they would go to sniper school after basic, go to Ranger school after basic, that they could pick their duty station at basic, the list after basic, the list goes on. It was all bullshit and you only get what's explicitly stated in your 10 page enlistment contract. I also met supply guys and cooks in batt whose recruiters told them they could reclass to 11B as soon as they go to battalion. That going in as a cook was the "back door" and the fastest route to batt.

>Hey does Option 40 guarantee a spot in 75 if you can pass ranger school?
No. Option 40 has nothing to do with Ranger school. An option 40 contract guarantees you a spot in RASP, that's it. You'll go to RASP after your basic/AIT, and after RASP you'll be assigned to a battalion. As a private your life will suck for anywhere from 6-18months until your chain of command feels you're ready to go to Ranger school. Also for you guys with 4 year degrees, if you do enlist you will start out as an E-4. But if you're in a Ranger batt you will still be considered a private until you get your tab.

Not to hijack OPs thread I wanted to join the Army because family history but my Dad told me not to bother because its not what it used to be and its become too pussy and faggot friendly (his words)

Should I just listen to my entire family and go Chair Force?

>having a degree but enlisting anyway
some things never change

Yeah, I'm not a weeb at all but I was just curious.

I was under the impression that Rangers were akin to a fraternity, alpha guys that fuck shit up and drink and shit all the time. Seems to be true.

seems great, but I'll take whatever I can get. Last question for you breh, how are medics treated in Batt? Is there a lot bullshit("Hazing", shitty details, etc.) like there is with bravo's?

>OCS

nothing special

>Ranger School

62 days of shit. On the whole though it is a prime time leadership course. Watched a guy fuck up his jump however and broke his leg.

Some people dropped out for the weirdest reasons.

>Heights
>can't swim
>didn't like the fact they thought it was like extended Infantry OSUT

Ranger School in unto itself is just that, a school. Being apart of a Ranger Battalion however is an entirely different story.

>t faggot who never made it to ranger battalion but completed ranger school and hear stories from my friends who actually made it to ranger battalions

I ended up back with the 173rd Airborne.

>biochem

do medical research or something, also stop making people think this major is hard

JOIN ARMY!

DIE FOR JEWS!

YOUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF IS A NIGGER!

FAGGOTS AND TRANNY TRASH ARE AWESOME!

GO ARMY. YEAH!

you're all fucking pathetic

The hardest part is not dying of boredom when you wind up guarding the post office.

Why would you go Air Force and deal with more faggotry, more women, and more fatties?

I live right outside an Army base. All my money comes from enlisted people being retards. I know. I see. I eat steak.

I was in 2/75 ('99 - '03). There are shit tons of fairly accurate documentary videos about Ranger School. It's not as difficult as many make it out to be. You basically can't be a pussy and have an IQ above 90.

>I was under the impression that Rangers were akin to a fraternity, alpha guys that fuck shit up and drink and shit all the time. Seems to be true.
I hate to compare it to a fraternity because I hate frat boys. But yes that's what it's like, at least when we weren't at work. Lots of drinking, partying and craziness in the barracks (especially pre and post deployment).

> how are medics treated in Batt?
Depends on the person. My first platoon sergeant treated our medic like shit and I never understood why. He told him "you don't do shit" or "your job isn't hard and you're useless until someone gets shot" and he would do that in front of the whole platoon. I always had the utmost respect for our medics because I knew they went through SOCM my 18D friend told me all about it when he went through.

As for hazing it'll depend on who your senior medic is. For medics and FO's there will be a junior and senior medic/FO attached to each platoon, and then a company senior medic/FO. We had the same medic for a long time but when a new one showed up our company senior would smoke him a lot. Generally though I think medics are well respected. They have the highest reenlistment bonus because they are in such short supply, and can leave to do so much more in the military/civilian world after SOCM and all the other training they do.

Shiet, I want to join the military but what fucking branch then? Coast Guard? Marines?

wanted to go army but then i saw this thread now im not sure

How fast do you run 2 miles? Needs to be 11 minutes or faster.

Just kidding, women can pass ranger school.

Shiet. Makes sense, then. One of the reasons I wanna go 68w is because of those opportunities after the service. With all that SOCM training and trauma experience, you're basically overqualified for a lot of shit.

Thanks for the info Rangerbro. Maybe I'll see you in 4 years.