Batman Writers

Who else thinks the quality of writing in the Batman comic series severely dropped when Rebirth started?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicosity.com/interview-tom-king-on-gotham-girls-future-in-batman/
comicbook.com/dc/2016/07/01/tom-king-and-david-finch-on-crafting-the-batman-summer-blockbust/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like King better than Snyder desu.

I wish Snyder hadn't written DOTF and Endgame though, Court of Owls was good for the mythos, Zero Year was way too long.

King has a better grip on the pacing, but truth be told King is writing to his strengths while Snyder should be writing something more akin to Black Mirror

King is a hack

Fucking Snyder...

Most books dropped in quality

Are all of King's arcs going to be named 'I Am [INSERT]'?

Examples? Because besides the Bat line, I think a lot of books are better now.

That's because you're a pleb.

Don't be salty Brevoort.

Personally I think Snyder's run didn't even start to get good until Zero Year. The first two arcs were ripoffs of the Black Glove and DoTF was edgy garbage, and I'm not one to call everything "grimdark."

Superheavy was weird in a good way and Endgame was alright. I don't think audience's enjoy his take on the Joker as much as he does.

So far I've been enjoying King's run, and I really did like Night of the Monster Men. Some of his choices have been iffy (Catwoman, Gotham Girl's haircut, wrist cutting, etc) but I'm willing to stick with it and see where it goes.

This. CoO was a simplified version of RIP, right down to the long lost Wayne family member named Thomas. And DoTF was trash. I dropped Snyder's run after DotF and stayed gone till Endgame brought me back. I AM SUICIDE doesn't feel right, but it's still better than the early Snyder run.

I didn't entirely dislike Snyder, but the guy writes dialogues way too fucking long and I lose interest quickly. Besides Zero Year was too dragged on (and quite frankly an unnecessary story).

I like King's pacing more

>The first two arcs were ripoffs of the Black Glove and DoTF was edgy garbage
>CoO was a simplified version of RIP, right down to the long lost Wayne family member named Thomas

This.

>Bat Writers Anonymous
"My name's Scott Snyder, and I'm a Bat Writer."
"Hi, Scott."

Batman is controversial. Snyder's run overall was good, but it had a rocky start. King's has too. This current arc is trash. Time will tell.
Nightwing under Seeley is much much much better than under Higgins.
Current Batgirl blows the grimdark Simone run out of the water.
It's still Lobdell, but the current Red Hood book is better than the last, if only because now Lobdell is ruining characters I don't care about.
Tony Daniel's Detective Comics was not very good. Tynion's Detective Comics is not very good. I really don't know which is worse. probably Daniel's, but not by much.
Night of the Monster Men was a much better first crossover than Night of Owls.

Rebirth Batbooks are objectively better than New 52.

>Sup Forums hated Morrison Batman and called him a hack
>now loves his run
>Sup Forums hated Snyder Batman and called him a hack
>now loves his run
>Sup Forums hates King Batman and calls him a hack

Sup Forums will always seem to hate the current Batman because the vast majority of traffic here comes here for Batman, which means we get the most unpleasant cynics from Sup Forums and 18 year olds from Sup Forums for Batman. I'm talking about the high schoolers you see at your LCS dressed in ill-fitting black hoodies playing Magic the Gathering until their mom picks them up at 9.

There's plenty of valid criticism of the run but it's buried under mountains of tryhard pseudo-intellectual drivel.

Anyway, we're still only one and a half arcs in, corporate mandated crossover notwithstanding. King's work is highly thematic and he plays the long game even in his relatively short runs so far. If it's anything like Morrison and Snyder, it'll be something we won't really be able to judge properly until we read it in trade.

>Snyder's run overall was good, but it had a rocky start
What the Hell are talking about? The only good part of Snyder's run was the beginning.

Morrison didn't create Thomas Wayne Jr.

Quality of all comics has drastically gone down with Rebirth.

No, Sup Forums still hates his run. They liked it until le edgy Joker knows who Batman really is.

No, Sup Forums still hates Snyder.

False.

Flash and Wonder Woman were god awful but now they're mediocre.

Look your own crap Marvel shil. Now go and read the godawful NOW NOW books and your "Yass queen" lesbian nazi.

I actually enjoyed the extended dialogue, and the long story arcs give more time to go in depth with the individual characters and I enjoy placing myself in different people's shoes

Well Morrison was GOAT, Snyder an overrated abhorrent bore, and King's already much, much better than him. Detective as a team book isnt extraordinary so far, but it's fun and has potential. Nightwing's solid. Damian's fun in Superman...

Things are good for Batfam. Just get rid of Duke and Bluebird.

Snyder's not going to let them get rid of his OCs, especially with his influence in the Bat office.

If he likes them so much, he can write them in All Star.

I wouldn't say severly but the trade off is that the Superman and Green Lantern books quality has increased

>Snyder's not going to let them get rid of his OCs
They've already relegated Harper to "friend of side character who shows up sometimes." Duke can't have long with literally no one caring about him (as evidenced by WAR's numbers)

Baah Snyder is awful

Baah King is awful

its like the Zelda cycle

I thought I Am Gotham was alright but this arc sucks

You'd have a point if Snyder ever stopped being bad.

Synder was pure summer blockbuster as in Micheal Bay.

King is more of mythos first action second and I am really enjoying how the arcs are simple connected to one another.

>King's already much, much better
I disagree

>King is more of mythos first action second
King literally described his own run as a blockbuster action series. Stop trying to pretend it's deep so you can justify liking it.

I like King's run - loved the issue #5 - and while is not the best King book it is still a good one.
First of all I like how is not action-packed as it center like Synder run was, King's run is at is center a analysis of the characters and their motives.

So far I am also enjoying Dark Trinity - slow as fuck - and Detective Comics.

Snyder was awful, but King's pretty bad too.
I agree that the Batbooks are pretty bad across the board.

Source on that but I find it kinda bullshit.

The action is very quick and only used to forward the plot instead of simple be the plot.

>I want Batman to be an action-adventure comic. I love those big themes, and put them in my other work, but at its heart, I want this to be an action book.

comicosity.com/interview-tom-king-on-gotham-girls-future-in-batman/

>I want this to be the book where people, when they want the Batman summer blockbuster, this is the book they go to.

>I don't like people standing around talking. It's supposed to be go-ahead, it's supposed to be constant action. Through that action, we get revealed what the true character of Batman is, is sort of what drives us forward.

comicbook.com/dc/2016/07/01/tom-king-and-david-finch-on-crafting-the-batman-summer-blockbust/

The problem with Batman is that King is trying so hard to make his run memorable instead of focusing on making a good stories which why he keep making one stupid decision over the another.

All star Batman is Snyder being Snyder. Detective is decent and a good idea to gather the rest of the batfamily who have no place nor they will get more than this. Batgirl is kind of unnecessary book and having Barbara just in Bop is more than enough. Nightwing is so-so and not really recommended if you don't care about Dick. Red Hood is great and enjoyable read. BOP isn't bad actually and just need the artist to improve her art a little.

Overall, the Batman line isn't really bad, but it does need some improvement.

Batgirl and BoP both target somewhat different audiences, they're justified, especially by sales.

I liked court of owls but most of Snyder's run wasn't good to me. Granted I stopped after endgame. I feel it is seen as better than it is because of capullo'so art which was really nice.

I haven't read king yet though since I basically switched to indie books entirely and have been reading older SHIT from the big 2

Snyder: Let's for some reason redo classic stories only edgier, talkier, and less interesting

Mousefag spotted.

what the FUCK does that make King's awful run so far

>It's different so I don't like it REEEEE

But there were more good books before the relaunch. Rebirth is like mcu. Most of it isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

I dropped because of Doyle.

For example Snyder has not written anything good under him.

Pretty much this. Everyone hating on King's Batman run is basically complaining for no real reason.

The biggest issue I have thus far with King's run is that nothing has really happened. So far Gotham Girl has been introduced as crazy and Batman's made a team to go and kidnap Psycho Pirate from Bane. It's been 11 issues and it feels like this is extended way longer than it needs too.

I Am Gotham could have been told in two or three issues easily, but it went on for 6 or 7.

However, King writes AMAZING interactions between Bruce and Alfred, which I do really enjoy.

>King writes AMAZING interactions between Bruce and Alfred, which I do really enjoy.
Did you read the annual?

Yes, those are great! Good Boy has possibly been my favorite King Batman story and it's told in like 5 pages.

Not a huge King fan, but I'll take him over Snyder any day. Detective has been good. Sad Tim is gone though. He was finally acting like a half decent character again.

Is it wrong if my favorite run was when Gordon was Batman? Like I know it's odd to say but I really loved his style of how he took on crime and I loved the Batmech. I really enjoyed him more then I EVER enjoyed Snyder's Bruce Wayne Batman. Also I didn't mind the idea of Bloom.

I think it's pretty interesting how the only thing people generally seem to like about King's run is the comedy.

Alfred and Bruce's interactions are a really important part of Batman stories, nailing those brief moments is important.

What? I'm mostly talking about stuff like "Kite Man. Hell yeah," Alfred cosplaying Batman, and "Task Force X. Of course." Stuff like that. That's where he's received the most praise.

I Am Suicide hasn't really had any silly moments like that for people to hinge onto, besides maybe Punch annoying Bronze Tiger. It's been very, very serious from the get-go and hasn't let up, it seems like most readers don't like that, which is a shame because I think the arc so far has been pretty great.