ITT: Characters that should have been lame but were actually great

ITT: Characters that should have been lame but were actually great

also...was this considered a cool look in the 90s? Leather Biker jacket...John Lennon Sunglasses...sides of head shaved with greasers hair on top.

Let's be honest, the whole show should have sucked.

90s Superboy's look is still /fa/ as fuck to this day.

I mean, it's a nice contrast to the custome

I'd bang 90's Superboy

Yep
90s Superboy is proof fashion is circular.

Take off the belts on his boots and it could pass as a TOTALLY HIP AND COOL redesign that DC and marvel have been doing the past couple years.

Who invented "regular jacket over spandex" ? Zenith ? (Can't remember really)

His costume is still great , just in its design.
He'd need a new name if he came back I guess .
Also now he has shutter shades instead of John Lennon sunglasses

Zenith was 1987.

But did anyone do it before him?

I don't know, I'm just saying that's when Zenith was.

Dunno, but there's only one instance of it looking good.
And that's Nextwave.

Call me he Metropolis kid!

>tfw young justice with classic line up will never return

It would be a good place to stick superboy/Robin 3/ impulse

>also...was this considered a cool look in the 90s? Leather Biker jacket...John Lennon Sunglasses...sides of head shaved with greasers hair on top

Everyday life? I don't know Popular Culture? Yeah.

What's the cool new look? (If one was to update superboys look)

Pop culture is so disparate, the long tail theory and all that, that there isnt one, but a bunch. Ironically enough his haircut is back in a big way.

>superboy now has a Man-Bun

Undercuts are in so he can just keep his 90s hair

geoff johns ruined the shit out of this character

This
Remember before this cartoon came out I thought it sounded awful
Turned out to be great

>was this considered a cool look in the 90s?
I was going to ask this, since I don't think there's been a depiction of 90's Kon I didn't wanted to fuck. Is this what ya'll had back then?

Whoever created the t-shirt and jeans look for Superboy needs to be blacklisted.

That's considered cool now.

Maybe switch the turtle glasses with aviators but honestly they work just as well. Typical fuccboi outfit

This. Batman Beyond should have been awful.

grant did it all

I always loved those gloves with the rolled cuffs.

Rogue had them too, they're awesome.

Paradax

bleedingcool com/2013/07/05/the-curious-case-of-brendan-mccarthys-paradax-and-zenith/

I'm pretty sure he was always meant to be straddling the line between "genuinely cool" and "obviously trying too hard", at least that's what I infer from his characterization.

Geoff Johns

Nice observation user, I never thought of it that way. Most of the time I forget that these characters are supposed to be dressing themselves rather than the artist. Well, ideally.

I liked the lex twist (though I never much cared for his original origin in the first place)...but yeah...Geoff didn't do a very good job with the character

It's funny how Johns just completely changed a character for the worse without a hint of self-awareness.

This whole show on paper reeks of executive marketing. Instead we got awesome body horror

Here I just updated his style. He's ready for his comeback

Why didn't they turn this into a movie? It doesn't get more diverse than that cast.

Timm and Dini took a shitty idea that was handed to them and deliberately subverted in the darkest way possible.
Those fuckers were MASTERS of squeezing shit past censorship and slipping crap under the radar.

Well, I didn't think that a show with Iron man as a teenager could be that good.

When did Animal Man first don his denim jacket? I remember his series being in like 88 or 89 and he had it then.

The jacket + sunglasses combo was a pretty common "cool guy" look in the 90s, not sure about the hair.

that''s a cool look now

jacket over superhero spandex

he's got it on the cover to issue 1

It is.

does Black Canary count as first superhero to wear a jacket ??

I'm discounting heroes that their costumes consisted of a suit (the shadow, sandman etc) .

>he's got it on the cover to issue 1
Yeah I know, but he appeared in DC long before the self-titled series.